the crane the crane | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

8:28 PM looks like Walts side is wrapping up for the night. Other site still moving around, likely closing shop as well.

so that thats twice trying to get that spiral on that side into place and back down in came..

Renovation always has more issues than new construction. Just watch any of those HGTV programs. ;)
You have no idea...old houses are a horrific pain. Found out a rental I just bought isn't grounded, prior owner spliced every wire in the basement from 2 wire to 3 wire Romex to make it look like it had new wiring...have to re-wire the entire first floor.

You have no idea...old houses are a horrific pain. Found out a rental I just bought isn't grounded, prior owner spliced every wire in the basement from 2 wire to 3 wire Romex to make it look like it had new wiring...have to re-wire the entire first floor.
Trust me I know. We've flipped a few properties and built new. I'll take new every time.

some reason they moved it at 8am on a sunday

pretty cool going back 12 hrs and watching people leave the dome

CE2F58DD-4E39-4453-8247-5FCC3BC3F23B.jpeg
J

Walt’s cousin appears to be attached to the South Eastern end of the girders.

For the operators of Walt and his cousin, I'd imagine there are multiple cameras for them to use while they're hoisting and trying to pinpoint these large pieces of metal, right? From what I saw last night while going to the game, it seems the operator is close to the ground, so it would be damn near impossible to see what's going on way up above... ?

The pieces that make up the frame were made per engineering drawing and should work as designed. However, when the last pieces to go in to join the two ends, what happens if the last joint is a few inches or feet from meeting? Where is the adjustment to account for the final fit? Also, how will they monitor the existing wall structure to confirm their structural analysis? With 60+ ton loads being added to each column of the dome's structure, there's a lot to assess as elements are added. What kind of connector did they add above each concrete column to mount the spiral tubes to? Anyone ever see the detail?

View attachment 176198J

Walt’s cousin appears to be attached to the South Eastern end of the girders.
FYI, I checked later in the day and it was still connected to the northeast grouping, but more towards the middle. It was then later detached completely, It looked to me as though the crane was trying to change the orientation of the whole grouping. I think they were trying to use sustained extreme pressure to tweak the original angles.

Pete Sala has talked about how important it is to get the angles for all the supporting columns exactly right. I am wondering if they were all off to some extent, and errors became so significant they could not progress until the problems were fixed? If so, I hope this impromptu, red neck method of fixing the problem worked,,,,

FYI, I checked later in the day and it was still connected to the northeast grouping, but more towards the middle. It was then later detached completely, It looked to me as though the crane was trying to change the orientation of the whole grouping. I think they were trying to use sustained extreme pressure to tweak the original angles.

Pete Sala has talked about how important it is to get the angles for all the supporting columns exactly right. I am wondering if they were all off to some extent, and errors became so significant they could not progress until the problems were fixed? If so, I hope this impromptu, red neck method of fixing the problem worked,,,,

As I watched a few times today and seeing how they were moving the crane and what the workers were working on, I think you might be right tomcat. Several workers spent a lot of time on the cable support connections along the edge of the roof. Were they adjusting tension throughout? Was this a noted task or one that sprang up and had to be dealt with prior to moving forward? Or is this an issue that they did not expect? These actions today would suggest to me just what you are saying about angles.

Thought I would share this video of how the roof at BC Place was replaced. That facility was very similar to the Carrier Dome. It originally had an air supported roof, and after a catastrophic failure, decided to replace it with a fixed roof.

Same issues. The walls were built to support a much lighter roof and the eingeers had to find a way to support the heavier roof without rebuilding the exterior walls.

They went in a different direction to achieve the same result. The biggest difference is that there, they had exclusive use of the facility for a long time and were rip out the old roof and replace it with a new one from the inside. It sounds like the original plan to build the new roof over the old one and then rip out the old one has recently been scuttled.

Good idea given the enormous issues they are having with the building of the crown truss, which was supposed to be the easy part of building the new roof.

The pieces that make up the frame were made per engineering drawing and should work as designed. However, when the last pieces to go in to join the two ends, what happens if the last joint is a few inches or feet from meeting? Where is the adjustment to account for the final fit? Also, how will they monitor the existing wall structure to confirm their structural analysis? With 60+ ton loads being added to each column of the dome's structure, there's a lot to assess as elements are added. What kind of connector did they add above each concrete column to mount the spiral tubes to? Anyone ever see the detail?
They wouldn't be making those determinations of how much the structure can hold in the middle of the job. That would have been done and I am sure was long before they started this project. Hence the X-Bracing that was added to each corner to be able to bear the load basically of the whole roof being added.

I wonder if when this is done they could add some other bracing from the ground up if needed to handle more load too if issues came up.

Didn’t I read someplace that we were using surveyors on rooftops around campus to get things exact?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom