the crane the crane | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Question. If the project is significantly delayed is there any chance they stop, leave the current roof in place and play through one more FB and BB Season? Or do we simply play all of our games on the road. At this point its obvious there are issues.

The pieces that make up the frame were made per engineering drawing and should work as designed. However, when the last pieces to go in to join the two ends, what happens if the last joint is a few inches or feet from meeting? Where is the adjustment to account for the final fit? Also, how will they monitor the existing wall structure to confirm their structural analysis? With 60+ ton loads being added to each column of the dome's structure, there's a lot to assess as elements are added. What kind of connector did they add above each concrete column to mount the spiral tubes to? Anyone ever see the detail?
I assume the final fabrication will not take place until there is a field measurement done

They are trying to add that vertical spiral to the northeast grouping again right now. Let's hope the third time is the charm!

Is this the camera view you are looking at?

SU Construction - Dome Roof
Yes. They have been trying to get that spiral aligned for over 30 minutes now. It is weird. I have never seen them have trouble getting one in place. Except this one.

There is a fairly strong wind today, which I am sure it playing a factor. 12 mph or so.

That spiral is going all over the place, so much so I am no longer sure which column they are trying to place it over. There are two columns on the north side of the building without vertical spirals in place.

The one closest to the northeast grouping is the one they actually had in place and removed at least once. I know they tried to put it in place again later. I don't think they were able to but wasn't watching it religiously.

Placement is meandering more towards the northwest grouping now so I think thinking it is probably going there. I suspect the one closest to the northeast grouping has a defect and is going to have to be made again by our friends in Montreal. Why else would it be taken down once installed?

Last edited:
Yes. They have been trying to get that spiral aligned for over 30 minutes now. It is weird. I have never seen them have trouble getting one in place. Except this one.

There is a fairly strong wind today, which I am sure it playing a factor. 12 mph or so.
Thanks. I was wondering why I hadn't seen any movement.

Looks like it might be a fit now. Is this when the guys get in the basket and do the fastening?

Question. If the project is significantly delayed is there any chance they stop, leave the current roof in place and play through one more FB and BB Season? Or do we simply play all of our games on the road. At this point its obvious there are issues.
No inside info here but surely there is a go/no go date out there where, if we reach the date and do not have certain objectives complete, it would make sense to shelf removal of the old roof until the following year.

To me, that would be a far better contingency plan than looking to move one or two early home games to other venues.

Looks like it might be a fit now. Is this when the guys get in the basket and do the fastening?
I think that was the diagonal for the last box girder added to the northwest grouping. Once it has been bolted down, maybe they will put a vertical in next to it and close the gap between the groupings from 3 to 2.

No inside info here but surely there is a go/no go date out there where, if we reach the date and do not have certain objectives complete, it would make sense to shelf removal of the old roof until the following year.

To me, that would be a far better contingency plan than looking to move one or two early home games to other venues.

I think the old roof has to come down in March. They can't begin to install the new roof panels with the old roof in the way.

We're already committed to seeing this through.

I think the old roof has to come down in March. They can't begin to install the new roof panels with the old roof in the way.

We're already committed to seeing this through.
That is your opinion but I don't think it is a fact.

The original plan was to complete the crown truss in January and start building the new roof immediately afterwards.

Construction of the new roof was supposed to at the very least be well underway before the dome was closed in March. I think they were hoping to have it completed by March.

When Sala mentioned last week that they were ripping the old roof out before completing the new roof, that was a surely a change in the plan in response to all the delays and problems they have had with the project so far. Hence the need to unexpectedly have to weather proof the facility now.

I am sure they are going to try and make the new plan work and I think they can still do it. But they surely have to have this as a possible fall back in the event the project continues to struggle.

If they could fully complete the new roof without having to touch the old roof, why the rush to kick everyone out of the Dome on March 1?

It would seem to me that there's a reason why they have to start demolishing the old roof in March.

but the plan from 2016 was never the plan when it really started back up in 2019. they said all along last yr old roof was coming off first.

If they could fully complete the new roof without having to touch the old roof, why the rush to kick everyone out of the Dome on March 1?

It would seem to me that there a reason why they have to start demolishing the old roof in March.

Construction will proceed faster with no civilians or events in the building. The Colgate game if it has to be moved would be a huge irritant. If any past Colgate have to get moved it will be a huge, huge issue.

I assume SU has contacted UB about possibly using their stadium on 9/19? They luckily are @tOSU. Cornell would be another option but their capacity dropped to the low 20's to make it a ticket logistics issue.

SU better have a plan in the hopper to refund STH'ers some money if they don't use their Colgate tickets. I'd suggest a simple credit back into their STH'er account.

Construction will proceed faster with no civilians or events in the building. The Colgate game if it has to be moved would be a huge irritant. If any past Colgate have to get moved it will be a huge, huge issue.

I assume SU has contacted UB about possibly using their stadium on 9/19? They luckily are @tOSU. Cornell would be another option but their capacity dropped to the low 20's to make it a ticket logistics issue.

SU better have a plan in the hopper to refund STH'ers some money if they don't use their Colgate tickets. I'd suggest a simple credit back into their STH'er account.

Cornell has a home game on the 19th.

but the plan from 2016 was never the plan when it really started back up in 2019. they said all along last yr old roof was coming off first.
I don't remember reading any reports from last year indicating this. Why was the crown truss supposed to be completed in January? Do you think they would have a project plan where they just waste 3 months doing nothing for a project that everyone knew was going to be an absolute bear to get completed on time?

Maybe I missed the articles you read on this. If you could share them, I would love to read them.

if these 4 are correct. the 2nd says change to timeline from 2018 . to me they changed the timeline to getting started close to march/april which is why they are closing stuff down before may as originally planned.

since they cant work over roof with people in it.. I dont think they ever could have gotten new roof up and down before march when the old roof was scheduled to come down.. if the new roof was going to take several months they would have had to be almost done by now to take it down in march and that could never happen with games going on

They are a few weeks behind the schedule coming down, bu the also can make up time since they can work more hours once they are closed down.

I would think with the roof down some of those cranes can go inside and work too

beginning new roof in march

this one says may but close to the same thing

this also says new timeline

roof coming down in march

I always took the truss construction to be completed by Jan 31st as "best case". I assumed from the "get go" that February was the slop month. It is obvious that March has to be included now. I'm having real doubts this gets completed by March 31st. (look at how little has been accomplished the last 2 weeks)

The good news if you rip the roof off that some work can be done from the inside now. The carpet will have to be totally removed How does the water get drained out though?

so I take the articles to mean as long as truss is complete by March 1, we should be good. They'll need to pick up the pace for sure.

so I take the articles to mean as long as truss is complete by March 1, we should be good. They'll need to pick up the pace for sure.
In one of the articles they ADJW mentioned starting roof work o/a May 1st and it could last until mid/late Sept.

I think a go/no go date could be around late April. The good news is during the summer they can work 14-16 hours with daylight. Crews can work 24/7 for periods of time too.