the crane the crane | Page 94 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I promise that this will be my last post about Dr. Pardee in this thread. ;)

I've walked by the Pardee house at 843 Maryland Avenue dozens of times, it's only a few blocks from my house.
Small world. My 2 best memories from that house:
1. In either December of ‘81 or ‘82 a couple of classmates and I sang carols outside his house. We were invited in and enjoyed some hot chocolate with Otway and his wife.
2. In October of 2009 ... Homecoming weekend for our 25th year reunion. I visited Dr. Pardee with my best friend. It was the last time that I saw him:

3A74FEF2-4845-40B5-B9A3-698535E760B5.jpeg

Dr. Pardee lived with his daughter in Virginia when he passed away.

1. In either December of ‘81 or ‘82 a couple of classmates and I sang carols outside his house. We were invited in and enjoyed some hot chocolate with Otway and his wife.
2. In October of 2009 ... Homecoming weekend for our 25th year reunion. I visited Dr. Pardee with my best friend. It was the last time that I saw him:

View attachment 177024

Nice picture Moontan. RIP Otway.

I thought this had been kicked around as a question, but I couldn’t remember for sure.

Met with one of my clients today, who is working on pieces of the project. The prep work for the AC installation begins March 2. Looks like it will be part of phase 1.
I wouldn’t say that with confidence yet. Phase 1 may include certain particular rough-ins and tear downs of existing ducts that contribute to inflating the dome. It may just be a certain amount of prep work that makes sense to do now. Hopefully they are doing the whole AC install!

Conversation

“I'm the big West Wall but today I feel very small

It's been a long time since anyone paid attention to me

Seems like there must be a part or something missing to continue me to be

Important in this big Dome project of which I am a part

I feel I protect the yard, Walt and a lot more just for a start

People, they call them Cranies, look at me all the time to see what's going on about the whole place.

But lately I feel they've done an about face.

I used to be the center of things and I guess I still am even though I think I'm now in a jam

They came around the corner putting up those back stays - made me smile 'cause with those they'd be working right around me for quite awhile.

They've got spiral columns and girders to go up I thought they were for me until nothing happened even with more trucks.

The east side I guess is the big deal - spirals and girders being put in place “the big schpeel”

But I'm going to get my due sooner or later – I'll give the east wall its time to shine until it all comes around to be mine and then I will be just fine.” ;)

Conversation

“I'm the big West Wall but today I feel very small

It's been a long time since anyone paid attention to me

Seems like there must be a part or something missing to continue me to be

Important in this big Dome project of which I am a part

I feel I protect the yard, Walt and a lot more just for a start

People, they call them Cranies, look at me all the time to see what's going on about the whole place.

But lately I feel they've done an about face.

I used to be the center of things and I guess I still am even though I think I'm now in a jam

They came around the corner putting up those back stays - made me smile 'cause with those they'd be working right around me for quite awhile.

They've got spiral columns and girders to go up I thought they were for me until nothing happened even with more trucks.

The east side I guess is the big deal - spirals and girders being put in place “the big schpeel”

But I'm going to get my due sooner or later – I'll give the east wall its time to shine until it all comes around to be mine and then I will be just fine.” ;)
Go Rabbit. Go Rabbit.

Such a neat fun fact no one would expect. Can't remember a trip to the dome without trying it out just one more time.
Never knew about this until now. What the heck makes this possible? I can’t even fathom

Never knew about this until now. What the heck makes this possible? I can’t even fathom

I believe sounds made in the indentations are relatively contained and end up mostly traveling up to the top of the column, where the top ring of the dome serves as a ceiling, then bounce back down. Some bounce off the floor, bounce back to the top, etc.

The echoes reverberate several times, getting fainter each time, creating the distinctive sound.

Some prime crane viewing today with a clear, crisp day and a brilliant deep blue sky.

I think the east side is going to be easier to complete than the west side because the crown truss is so much closer to ground level on the east side. On the west side, I believe that those orange people mover things are not long enough to get people up to the crown truss level. Maybe the white crane is long enough and can be outfitted with a bucket to do the job there? We will see, hopefully soon!
Maybe they are putting together a semi-permanent housing structure (think ISS) that they will haul up there and install. Workers can live there for up to a year and just get resupplied once a month with food and water until the job is complete.
Makes sense to me.

This picture gives a nice perspective on how giant the back stays are. There is a lot of space between the dome and the Barnes Center, but the back stays extend far past that space and end up hovering over the Barnes Center. It is fortunate the dome is a little taller than the Barnes Center.

As of when this was taken, no work has been started on the back stay that straddles the eastern and southeastern walls.

Anyone know there we stand with the crane pad in the southeastern corner? I assume it is done and has been or is about to be covered with railroad ties. That 3rd monster crane better show up soon if it is going to be part of the effort to complete the crown truss...

View attachment 177024

RIP, Dr. Pardee.

You, sutomcat and others brought back memories. The moment the Link Hall weather cam showed up I half expected something like this to be brought up.

Wacky Eddie was a personal favorite. If I recall correctly, a hippie child of the 60s, ex-Harvard guy. Took us to a Grateful Dead concert ... after getting us, umm, spiritually elevated. LISP was his baby. He used it in CIS 255 to zero in on those he deemed to have the right aptitude. Looking back, he was right in many ways. We had close to 200 people sign up for the course, and only about 30 made it thru. That was the core that wound up graduating with Comp Sci degrees. Plenty of others, including those with BASIC programming experience, got bewildered by reverse Polish and those “cars” and “kidders”. Funny note is I loved LISP so much, years later I wound up taking an IT job because their product was implemented using a LISP/Scheme hybrid. It was great for data processing (as its name would imply: LISt Processor). Though they were forced by the industry to switch to Java within a few years, that triggered a long IT career for me - supporting Army (and other branches) for the past 15 years.

As for APL, that was another favorite. Took the Intro to Artificial Intelligence course with world renowned Alan Robinson using Prolog - a very confusing language at the time. We saw the luminary once or twice the whole semester. Conference in Sweden, conference in Japan, etc. Prof (later Dean) Ernie Seibert replaced him basically. But it was fun. As a final freestyle project my friend (Comp Engineering major) and I wrote a 3D tic-tac-toe game on DEC-10 and APL. He did the graphics, I - the algorithm, etc. To do 3D we realized 3x3x3 wouldn’t work as main diagonals intersect, so the first player starts with an x in the middle of the cube and forces a win within 2 moves. So we did 4x4x4 and broke it up into a 4 square representation. Took some imagination to play it, but it worked. APL with its matrix manipulation was golden for this. Still have the printout (like 2 inches thick). Damned if I could understand any of it now. Saw a Windows version of the exact same idea in the 90s with a proper 3D representation of a see thru cube and balls you’d place into each slot. Looked good, but my algorithm was better :)

Sorry for a long post, but I believe it‘s on topic of this thread. Being somewhat cranial and all. I’ll see myself out now...

Last edited:
Hendricks.jpeg

This is a picture of a box girder sitting in the Hendricks Field storage area. I just flipped it .
These box girders are enormous up close.

There are 3 close by Walt in various places off Irving, so there are at least 4 box girders close by.

Why aren't we seeing these go up?

Again, I can only assume the next girder for the western side of the crown truss had a problem and isn't on site yet. I don't expect anything to go up in the air today; there is a women's lacrosse game scheduled for tonight. The big thing I am hoping for is to see another box girder arrive. Hopefully that will jump start things and finally get the project moving quickly.

Last edited: