the crane the crane | Page 95 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Anyone know there we stand with the crane pad in the southeastern corner? I assume it is done and has been or is about to be covered with railroad ties. That 3rd monster crane better show up soon if it is going to be part of the effort to complete the crown truss...

Yep, the pad was completed over the past couple weeks, and a few pieces of the new crane are already on site.

I believe sounds made in the indentations are relatively contained and end up mostly traveling up to the top of the column, where the top ring of the dome serves as a ceiling, then bounce back down. Some bounce off the floor, bounce back to the top, etc.

The echoes reverberate several times, getting fainter each time, creating the distinctive sound.

Sound movement is a awesome phenomenon that I wish I studied more. One great story we read about in architecture was the unintended
creep in the US Capital building. A staffer set a desk up in the hall to hear the secrets from the other side of the house.
edit: apparently it was a Congressman/eventual President

Last edited:
42D89B70-2B6D-4525-847C-DB97C8F9FD8D.jpeg

View attachment 177099
The spiral support is going up...
I like doing work on game days. Maybe not during a game, but what is wrong with doing work the morning of a game? Hopefully one of the box girders goes up today as well. That would be, by my count, the 15th one. 21 more to go.

so do we have 2 full crane crews? could in theory a spiral be going up on each end?

so do we have 2 full crane crews? could in theory a spiral be going up on each end?
I believe there are two separate crews. I have definitely seen both cranes in operation concurrently.

Not knowing anything, I would think the crews are in competition with each other. The west side folks have had the advantage for a long time but have fallen behind. The crane situation might bail them out down the road though.

Hopefully concurrent operations on both sides of the crown truss will become a standard MO soon. BTW, it looks like Skylar has something on the line. Maybe another spiral?

where is our investigative reporter jimmy oleson today? sipping lattes since 8am?

1. I have to assume the estimated completion date includes some "snow days".
2. Just a feeling, but it seems like there's been less snow than normal this year.
3. Putting 1 & 2 together, any chance this is done ahead of schedule?

2. Just a feeling, but it seems like there's been less snow than normal this year.
In a word, no. This is a really ambitious project. We will be fortunate to get it down in time for the Colgate game.

Syracuse averages about 124" of snow/season. To date, there has only been approx. 71" along with the average temperatures being higher than normal as well. That being said, it does not appear (although that's my complete speculation) that it will be finished ahead of schedule.

the big unknown though is how done ...

it could be roof on, but scoreboard not hooked up. we can live without the other stuff and that can be worked on during the season.. gotta have the roof though. we could live without speakers and stuff too.

the big unknown though is how done ...

it could be roof on, but scoreboard not hooked up. we can live without the other stuff and that can be worked on during the season.. gotta have the roof though. we could live without speakers and stuff too.
right, we've basically lived without speakers for the last 40 years.

Syracuse averages about 124" of snow/season. To date, there has only been approx. 71" along with the average temperatures being higher than normal as well. That being said, it does not appear (although that's my complete speculation) that it will be finished ahead of schedule.
I'm so torn. I want good weather for the construction but I can't bear Syracuse losing the Golden Snowball award. We are 10" behind Rochester. :cool:

Busy day Craniacs... Two spirals going up, one on each end. Dare we dream of a girder today too?

Have to think that Walt's cousin is reaching it's limit. It's stretched very far out right now installing a diagonal support spiral. I don't think they can lift a girder with it's arm stretched that far out.

Have to think that Walt's cousin is reaching it's limit. It's stretched very far out right now installing a diagonal support spiral. I don't think they can lift a girder with it's arm stretched that far out.
I think Skylar is good for a while longer. From what I see, she should be able to place girders until close to the southeast diagonal wall. We should find out soon. Hopefully today.

I think Skylar is good for a while longer. From what I see, she should be able to place girders until close to the southeast diagonal wall. We should find out soon. Hopefully today.
Walt is an 1100 ton crane and I suspect Skylar is similar. My brother sent me a pic of a similar crane in Oregon that can stretch way out with appropriate weight and leverage:

1582562346219.png