the crane the crane | Page 169 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Seriously why are you people going to do when this is completed? Have you thought about the implications?
Well, yes I have put a fair amount of time into considering what will happen when the ring is completed. I think they'd try to keep working if possible, though the most critical element will be finished with diminished risk. The mid-term plan is dynamic. If they keep going we'll get to watch the cabling and the roofing, with a better take of the impact on sports in the fall as a whole by the time those parts are done. I indeed will be saddened when Walt & Skylar are dismantled, but it's possible we'll have a semblance of a season for football, depending on Covid-19's status in the summer. If mass gatherings aren't possible in the fall & winter, this will be the grouchiest winter ever. We'll be watching reruns of Walt & Skylar...

Seriously why are you people going to do when this is completed? Have you thought about the implications?
I am still working so I assume I will continue to work. Just will be more productive, I guess.

It is an interesting question regarding the future of this project once the crown truss is completed. Will they stop at that point? The immediate danger of leaving a partly completed crown truss is gone, but would it be okay to leave an indoor facility completely without a roof for who knows how long?

I assume SU has argued it the water proofing is not intended to last indefinitely and the roof needs to be completed ASAP. They could argue the economic impact not having a facility would have on the area (debatable) and the university (not debatable).

Anyway, as CuseLegacy has pointed out, it appears they are already prepping the interior with the parts needed to start building the roof. It appears the decision has already been made and work on the roof will commence as soon as the crown truss is completed. That assumes all the parts needed to complete the roof are on site or will be shortly. I wonder if the Hendricks Field storage area has seen a buildup of roof materials in recent weeks?

you cant argue though that not finishing it close to on time wont have other ramifications if life become semi normal again.

I think the total cost announced was more expensive as it states the project was to be over $200 mil, but that also included costs for the renovation of Archbold too I believe. The articles below mentions the roof at $105 mil, so perhaps there wasn't much difference at all since this current phase is at $118 mil. That other plan/style could've been done in phases too, just like this current renovation is allegedly going to have 3 phases.

Some of the cost differential is that renovation was using an architectural firm...the current renovation, truss system, is all engineered.

Now that Walt has been disconnected from the girder, I expect spirals to be moved near the orphan girder so they can be attached to the arrowhead with the white crane.

Now that Walt has been disconnected from the girder, I expect spirals to be moved near the orphan girder so they can be attached to the arrowhead with the white crane.
It looks like one of the spirals to the left of Walt is in the air a little bit. I assume they are putting the collar and cables on it now. Should be headed up for installation shortly. My bet is that both of the spirals next to Walt are the diagonals to complete the 3rd and final arrowhead on the south west corner. I think we will get one up today, but maybe they will dazzle us and get both up.

I suspect that there will be a new roof replacement consulting firm open for business.

It is what it is - yesterday was definitely adown day - no one responded to the quiz except tomcat - so absent Craniacs here are some of the answers:

What type of crane is Walt? (clue - it rhymes with trawler) - Crawler
What are the orange vehicles called that lift two men skyward to work on the backstays, spirals? -TBL Telescopic boom Lift
See that spiral? How long does it have to be attached with cables to the backstays until it can be released and be on its own and how is it attached to the bulding? Ask tomcat
How are the girders attached to each other? With many big, big Nuts and Bolts
How many girders are left to install? ask gocusecaz
How many spirals will it take to finish the Crown Truss? ask tomcat
How many girders will it take to finish the Crown Truss? ask tomcat
What is the syracusefan.com name of the person that posts a pic of the sunset every day? CuseLegacy
How many facts does tomcat have in his closeout beneath his post about Syracuse sports? 8
Do all of the girders have railings? Yes
How tall is it from the ground to the top of the Dome wall? 120'

Well let's see here - we have had two girders installed and I'm guessing collars are being put on two spirals so they can get put up to be ready for more girders tomorrow - we'll see.

It is what it is - yesterday was definitely adown day - no one responded to the quiz except tomcat - so absent Craniacs here are some of the answers:

What are the orange vehicles called that lift two men skyward to work on the backstays, spirals? -TBL Telescopic boom Lift
See that spiral? How long does it have to be attached with cables to the backstays until it can be released and be on its own and how is it attached to the bulding? Ask tomcat
What is the syracusefan.com name of the person that posts a pic of the sunset every day? CuseLegacy
How many facts does tomcat have in his closeout beneath his post about Syracuse sports? 8

I thought coming up with the moniker Craniacs was enough, Bill?! As a teacher, I assign quizzes remotely, I don't take them! :p

I thought coming up with the moniker Craniacs was enough, Bill?! As a teacher, I assign quizzes remotely, I don't take them! :p
It seems as though people were missing from the entire day yesterday so in order to satisfy myself I pushed a little farther. I try to inform I hope I am successful at some of what I observe and research.

SUFaninNJ: Some info, bear with me, I too am a teacher - of athletes. I was an athlete. My father was an Olympic level long distance runner. The genes were passed. As a senior I was an First Team All State prep QB a walk on at SU. I could throw and handle the ball as well as the first team QB and they gave me a scholie. I was the N..J. State Champion 100 yard dash Champion - did the 100 in 9.7 ran 60's in NYC in the armory and was 10 - 0 as a senior starter as a pitcher. Recruited by Rutgers, Penn, WVU, CT, Yale, SU thought I was too light I was 6' 180.
After graduation and coming to CT to work as an Industrial Designer. Zoom through time a bit I became a triathlete and race director doing Olympic and Sprint distance races. The swim was my best aspect of triathlon and I was eventually asked "would you coach me?" so I did. My best pupil I was a 13 year old who competed in her age group in Switzerland and she became World Champion. So I taught many age group kids, college level and adults, a national champion Duathlete who wanted me to coach her because she also wanted to be the national Champion Triathlete in her age group. We worked on her stroke mechanics visited Baltimore and watched Michael Phelps swim to show her I was teaching her the same stroke, pull, finish , breathing, etc., etc for a year and we accomplished her goal. My mom was a 3rd grade teacher four 43 years. My mother was a great teacher but more than that a great mother. Thanks for your interest in my quiz. And also I was born and raised in NJ. :)

Last edited:
It seems as though people were missing from the entire day yesterday so in order to satisfy myself I pushed a little farther. I try to inform I hope I am successful at some of what I observe and research.

SUFaninNJ: Some info, bear with me, I too am a teacher - of athletes. I was an athlete. My father was an Olympic level long distance runner. The genes were passed. As a senior I was an First Team All State prep QB a walk on at SU. I could throw and handle the ball as well as the first team QB and they gave me a scholie. I was the N..J. State Champion 100 yard dash Champion - did the 100 in 9.7 ran 60's in NYC in the armory and was 10 - 0 as a senior starter.
After graduation and coming to CT to work as an Industrial Designer. Zoom through time a bit I became a triathlete and race director doing Olympic and Sprint distance races. The swim was my best aspect of triathlon and I was eventually asked "would you coach me?" so I did. My best pupil I was a 13 year old who competed in her age group in Switzerland and she became World Champion. So I taught many age group kids, college level and adults, a national champion Duathlete who wanted me to coach her because she also wanted to be the national Champion Trialthlete in her age group. We worked on her stroke mechanics visited Baltimore and watched Michael Phelps swim to show her I was teaching her the same stroke, pull, finish , breathing, etc., etc for a year and we accomplished her goal. My mom was a 3rd grade teacher four 43 years. My mother was a great teacher but more than that a great mother. Thanks for your interest in my quiz. And also I was born and raised in NJ. :)
You ran 9.7 100s and swimming was your best triathlon event?

april sunset.png

SUFaninNJ: Some info, bear with me, I too am a teacher - of athletes. I was an athlete. My father was an Olympic level long distance runner. The genes were passed. As a senior I was an First Team All State prep QB a walk on at SU. I could throw and handle the ball as well as the first team QB and they gave me a scholie. I was the N..J. State Champion 100 yard dash Champion - did the 100 in 9.7 ran 60's in NYC in the armory and was 10 - 0 as a senior starter.
After graduation and coming to CT to work as an Industrial Designer. Zoom through time a bit I became a triathlete and race director doing Olympic and Sprint distance races. The swim was my best aspect of triathlon and I was eventually asked "would you coach me?" so I did. My best pupil I was a 13 year old who competed in her age group in Switzerland and she became World Champion. So I taught many age group kids, college level and adults, a national champion Duathlete who wanted me to coach her because she also wanted to be the national Champion Trialthlete in her age group. We worked on her stroke mechanics visited Baltimore and watched Michael Phelps swim to show her I was teaching her the same stroke, pull, finish , breathing, etc., etc for a year and we accomplished her goal. My mom was a 3rd grade teacher four 43 years. My mother was a great teacher but more than that a great mother. Thanks for your interest in my quiz. And also I was born and raised in NJ. :)
Many kudos to you. Nice stories...

The 4 diagonal walls each have 11 spirals. This includes three arrowheads on each and a single spiral between arrowheads 1 and 2 and 3. That gives us 44 for the 4 diagonal walls.

The four directional walls each have 6. There are 3 columns on each of these walls apart from the diagonal walls and each has 2 spirals. That gives us 24 for the directional walls.

The total is 68.

If the question here is how many girders does the crown truss hold, the answer without thinking is 36; one for each of the 36 columns. But this is a trick question. Remember the first spiral that went up had only a baby girder that served as the starter to get the girders going? It looked kind of like Thor’s Hammer. The next girder that attached to it was a little undersized as well, such that when put together, they took the space of one normal girder. After that come, I believe, 35 normal sized girders. So the answer is actually 37.

If the question is, as of today, how many girders are needed to finish the truss, as of tonight, the southeast diagonal wall is missing one girder. It is one girder behind the southwest diagonal wall, which has all its girders installed (but is still missing two diagonal spirals which will presumably be installed tomorrow morning).

They still have to install all 5 girders on the south wall, which still has not had even a spiral installed on it (though the back stays are in place and ready to go).

So If Bill is asking how many are left to complete the truss, the answer is 6 girders. If anyone is interested, I think we have 11 spirals to go. I see now Bill asked this question for gocusecaz. Perhaps he can verify this...he is our spiral expert. I get 11 as follows: 3 spirals left for the southeast wall (the last arrowhead), 2 left for the southwest and 6 left for the south.

Tomcat I believe you are right about the number of spirals left to be added. However I looked at the picture of the truss from overhead and I think I counted only four girders between the arrowheads. So I think we are down to our last 5.

Tomcat I believe you are right about the number of spirals left to be added. However I looked at the picture of the truss from overhead and I think I counted only four girders between the arrowheads. So I think we are down to our last 5.
If you are talking the number of girders between the last arrowheads on the southeast and southwest diagonal walls, I think there are only 3 girders in between them. The closest arrowhead on the southwest wall has one of its two girders in place right now. The closest arrowhead on the southeast wall has 0 of its two girders in place right now. So those 3 and the 3 in the middle of the south wall make my count 6.

But I could well be wrong. I screwed up the count on the other side and might be doing something wrong again here. Regardless, the crew has done a fine job making up time in the last couple of weeks. I have been saying it should be done in mid April for a while now but was always concerned that timeline would not be met. It looks right now like they might be done by the end of this week. If the spirals and girders are available, I am pretty sure it will happen this week.

Wow, Bill, that’s quite impressive. The best I can do is say that I went to high school with some great athletes (Scott Schwedes, Suzy McGuire Whaley, Rob Drummond and the part of SU’s championship lax teams that didn’t go to West Genny or were from Canada).
Many teachers come from teaching families. Not true in my case as my Dad worked at GE and my mom at Dunk and Bright. It’s a profession that I love and I’m hopeful that I can inspire a few kids along the way. The toughest part about not being in the classroom during this time is the conversations and down time with my “kids”. It’s hard to replicate that through the computer.
Thank you for the updates on the Dome. I’m both sad that it’s the end of an era, while excitedly looking towards the future. Onward and upward!