The DeVito catharsis thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

The DeVito catharsis thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think why it may seem some people are “rooting” against Tommy is because if he goes to Illinois and has an amazing season it’s going to make a lot of us question, what the heck was going on here? Is it Dino Babers and co? It’ll also make a lot of us question if we made the right move with Shrader…

So I don’t think it’s that they are rooting against TD, I think it’s more…..don’t want to be wrong about him not being that great and that we are actually better off without him than with him
Ok I'm back in.

Let's see what happens against a bad Big Ten team next week, Indiana. He then plays a rebuilding Virginia team and then Chattanooga.

I looked at their schedule.

They could start off 4-0. But then they will lose 7 of 8.

Wyoming is very bad this year. Nothing he did yesterday was stressful for him. He had all day to pass and wasn't asked to make any tough decisions or throws.

They kept it as conservative as can be for him. And he looked like he did here when we did the same.

Yes - their OL looked way better than anything we have produced since Marrone.

But I think this "redemption" story needs to play out over the course of the year before any judgments and decisions can be made.

My buddy who went to Illinois just texted me a stat. Yesterday was the first game DeVito played in where he wasn't sacked. I know it was Wyoming, but it will be interesting to see how he does behind a real D1 line. He threw some nice crisp passes yesterday and had time to look off his initial read.

Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. Doesn't matter who your QB is. If your line is garbage so is your QB.

I think why it may seem some people are “rooting” against Tommy is because if he goes to Illinois and has an amazing season it’s going to make a lot of us question, what the heck was going on here? Is it Dino Babers and co? It’ll also make a lot of us question if we made the right move with Shrader…

So I don’t think it’s that they are rooting against TD, I think it’s more…..don’t want to be wrong about him not being that great and that we are actually better off without him than with him
I’m not sure why people can’t understand this. He left the team mid year. Had something not so nice to say when he left.

And if he does great at Illinois it makes our coaches look bad. Making many of us asking why it didn’t work here. So yes, people want him to stink because then clearly it means it wasn’t the coaches.

My buddy who went to Illinois just texted me a stat. Yesterday was the first game DeVito played in where he wasn't sacked. I know it was Wyoming, but it will be interesting to see how he does behind a real D1 line. He threw some nice crisp passes yesterday and had time to look off his initial read.

Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. Doesn't matter who your QB is. If your line is garbage so is your QB.
That was from Tommy’s mouth, which probably came from his dad’s mouth first. Per the ESPN game logs, this will have been the 5th game he’s played in where he wasn’t sacked. It’s been awhile, so he must have forgotten that he wasn’t sacked in the last game he ever started and played in at Syracuse.

I wish him the best because I believe in karma. He takes shots at Syracuse then that karma is broken and he can do what he has done since high school and that is be mediocre. Nothing he did yesterday was outstanding. He didn’t get sacked but most of his throws were short and quick. I would like to see a breakdown of completions of short vs long throws etc. bottom line for him his performance was something to
Build on, nothing more.

This^^^
I got no quarrel with Tommy Devito- honestly wish him the best.
But bad OL or not, he didn’t show anything special after 4 years at the Cuse. The difference at QB w/ Schrader was very apparent, IMO, and GS is not exactly Peyton when it comes to accuracy. Besides, no matter where he ends up football-wise, he’ll likely have to deal with and show that he’s capable of performing under pressure. And its not “sour grapes” to offer that POV- since sour grapes is mostly about wishing ill on a player because you wanted them to stay.
Good kid, bless his heart, but I’d be majorly surprised if he became a factor w/ the Illini. Serviceable? Yes. Difference maker in terms of conference W-Ls…. I don’t think so. JMHO

Ok I'm back in.

Let's see what happens against a bad Big Ten team next week, Indiana. He then plays a rebuilding Virginia team and then Chattanooga.

I looked at their schedule.

They could start off 4-0. But then they will lose 7 of 8.

Wyoming is very bad this year. Nothing he did yesterday was stressful for him. He had all day to pass and wasn't asked to make any tough decisions or throws.

They kept it as conservative as can be for him. And he looked like he did here when we did the same.

Yes - their OL looked way better than anything we have produced since Marrone.

But I think this "redemption" story needs to play out over the course of the year before any judgments and decisions can be made.
Agree with all of this. Also important to remember that Illinois likely kept the offense pretty bland against Wyoming and that TD is now at a school with a HC who has produced strong OL play. My prediction is that we’ll see the same poor TD reads and reactions play out over the course of the year when competition becomes stronger.

That was from Tommy’s mouth, which probably came from his dad’s mouth first. Per the ESPN game logs, this will have been the 5th game he’s played in where he wasn’t sacked. It’s been awhile, so he must have forgotten that he wasn’t sacked in the last game he ever started and played in at Syracuse.

78C9DAEE-3B88-4EDC-BBB4-539CBF5CA6D4.jpeg

I wish him the best because I believe in karma. He takes shots at Syracuse then that karma is broken and he can do what he has done since high school and that is be mediocre. Nothing he did yesterday was outstanding. He didn’t get sacked but most of his throws were short and quick. I would like to see a breakdown of completions of short vs long throws etc. bottom line for him his performance was something to
Build on, nothing more.
Well in the first half he didnt have one pass attempt longer than 14 yards, which was his first, that was a TD

sounds like he’s trying to be careful with his words there…

I respect that.

And he was accurate, that was the first game that he hasn’t gotten sacked

sounds like he’s trying to be careful with his words there…

I respect that.

And he was accurate, that was the first game that he hasn’t gotten sacked
He was sacked once against Ohio and was clean in his action against Albany in 2021.

He had 92 yards passing vs Ohio on 11/17 passing.

He was 6/9 for 147 with a TD and INT vs Albany.

Against Rutgers he was 15/26 for 147 yards with an INT, sacked six times.

So in three games, 32/52 for 386 yards and a TD with two INT. Sacked 8 times in three games.

He was sacked once against Ohio and was clean in his action against Albany in 2021.

He had 92 yards passing vs Ohio on 11/17 passing.

He was 6/9 for 147 with a TD and INT vs Albany.

I stand corrected!

Thought they had put that stat out yesterday during the game that it was the first time he hadn’t taken a sack

Either I imagined it or they were just wrong! Lol

Let's face it, Tommy wasn't given a lot of help in the majority of his tenure here. Being sacked is one thing, running for your life immediately at the snap is another. He had a nice side step of a defender on one play that I saw yesterday; he won't be shell-shocked at Illinois. He also has a nice cast at receiver and stud rb to help him. To be honest, that covid year wide receiver corp was, in my mind, maybe the worst I've seen in my almost 40 years of watching college football.

Let's face it, Tommy wasn't given a lot of help in the majority of his tenure here. Being sacked is one thing, running for your life immediately at the snap is another. He had a nice side step of a defender on one play that I saw yesterday; he won't be shell-shocked at Illinois. He also has a nice cast at receiver and stud rb to help him. To be honest, that covid year wide receiver corp was, in my mind, maybe the worst I've seen in my almost 40 years of watching college football.
Did you see our receiving corp in 2003-2005?

Edit - some of those Covid year receivers are still here, so your theory can be tested this fall.

Did you see our receiving corp in 2003-2005?
The crazy thing is, when Dino was hired, I never thought we would have to worry about wide receiver production again. Lol.
It's better now, but Dino took 2 years off from working hard in recruiting, imo. Probably because he thought he would be coaching a Pac-12 or Big-12 school somewhere.

The crazy thing is, when Dino was hired, I never thought we would have to worry about wide receiver production again. Lol.
It's better now, but Dino took 2 years off from working hard in recruiting, imo. Probably because he thought he would be coaching a Pac-12 or Big-12 school somewhere.
That's fair. I agree in that I don't think his head or heart was fully in it following 2018 / 19 and he was probably seriously doubting himself after 2020.

I think people have their head in the sand if they can’t acknowledge that the amount that TD was sacked was unacceptable and absolutely had an impact on his ability to be successful, or that under the same conditions Shrader, albeit not a pretty QB, was a more successful QB.

It doesn’t have to be one or the other. I think TD could have been much more successful here had he had even average P5 level OL and WR talent during his tenure here, and likewise Shrader being more mobile and an improvisational QB was able to overcome those challenges that TD couldn’t without them being improved.

He’s making excuses for himself even after a win and a nice stat sheet. What’s he going to do when he gets clobbered by a good d line?

Getting sacked is part of playing the position. We’ve seen other QBs come here (and elsewhere) and play for less than stellar lines and they’ve never said a peep. My sympathies to them. But also I appreciate they took it as part of the job.

Given their schedule he should do well those 1st four games. After that it looks like it will all be downhill. Yesterday was the 2nd easiest game on their schedule and his rating/qbr were below what he averaged in 2019. So with a record setting bad OL he still put up better numbers than he did yesterday against a G5 school. Chances are his numbers will get worse being that 10 of the next 11 are against P5 schools. He definitely will not get sacked as much, but you won't win many games passing the ball 5 yards every play and his stats will be worse than they were in 2019.

Edit

The coaches will stick by Tommy all year long but I would not be surprised if during their bye week before Nebraska, the fans are questioning if Sitkowski should start that game.

Last edited:
I think people have their head in the sand if they can’t acknowledge that the amount that TD was sacked was unacceptable and absolutely had an impact on his ability to be successful, or that under the same conditions Shrader, albeit not a pretty QB, was a more successful QB.

It doesn’t have to be one or the other. I think TD could have been much more successful here had he had even average P5 level OL and WR talent during his tenure here, and likewise Shrader being more mobile and an improvisational QB was able to overcome those challenges that TD couldn’t without them being improved.
That Clemson game at the dome his first year as starter where, in the first half, I had that sudden crystal clear moment of realization, this guy doesn’t have it. Couple years of hoping that he gets it. And the opportunity cost of recruits who went elsewhere, and first team snaps consumed in practice, for a guy who didn’t have “it”. That’s on Dino and the OC’s he saddled us with.

I don’t think TD is smart enough to run a complicated offense, especially under pressure. People at his HS didn’t think he was very smart. “Dumb as rocks” was one descriptive quote.
I’ve never shared that out of respect but considering we’re not taking shots now…

Am I fair to say that?

Cole S made a move to Cuse from Villanova, and it worked out. I hope Tommy kills it at IL, makes the league and buys his mom a matching TD ankle bracelet.

Status
Not open for further replies.