The Downside - Virginia | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Virginia

" Kenny Smith said that “We didn’t see how athletic these Syracuse players are until they went to the press.” Why can’t JB see that the press is a major weapon for this team, one that we don’t have to wait until we are down 15 ..."

I think JB correctly stated post game that we don't play the depth to press all game. however don't tell me that these kids can't play man. his vaunted ZONE has been shredded twice now and the trunk monkey bailed us out. anyone who still believes 100% zone is the way to go is plain nuts. this week is proof we need to mix up our defenses more.

" Kenny Smith said that “We didn’t see how athletic these Syracuse players are until they went to the press.” Why can’t JB see that the press is a major weapon for this team, one that we don’t have to wait until we are down 15 ..."

I think JB correctly stated post game that we don't play the depth to press all game. however don't tell me that these kids can't play man. his vaunted ZONE has been shredded twice now and the trunk monkey bailed us out. anyone who still believes 100% zone is the way to go is plain nuts. this week is proof we need to mix up our defenses more.

The zone can be played aggressively and produce some of the same results as man. I think the way to shake things up is by pressing the trunk monkey button. To me, that's the best alternative.

OK, let's have him emulate Pitino.
Thats better - we just need to get the strippers lined up and then we will be off to the races. Don't take it personally - I just found one sole instance where I don't agree with you. That leaves me at 99% agreement or understanding of all you have posted over the years. On the other hand --- do take it personally - I agree 99.99...% of the time. Thats up some from my earlier 99%. Keep up the great posts. I still look for them after every game. I would be lost without them.
Thanks again.

Thats better - we just need to get the strippers lined up and then we will be off to the races. Don't take it personally - I just found one sole instance where I don't agree with you. That leaves me at 99% agreement or understanding of all you have posted over the years. On the other hand --- do take it personally - I agree 99.99...% of the time. Thats up some from my earlier 99%. Keep up the great posts. I still look for them after every game. I would be lost without them.
Thanks again.

My point is that Pitino shows you can press and then back off into a zone just like Q is doing and do in the men's game.

And, no, I don't take it personally. I just disagree on this point.

well zone can be an effective weapon against teams who never see it. the cavs and tarheels have seen it and beat it.

I respectfully disagree that our zone has been shredded. Gonzaga and UVA did not tactically beat our zone like Pitt or GTown did. They simply shot over it, but couldn't keep it up when their legs got weak and the game got close.

i too respectively disagree. we trailed double digits both games til we switched out of it. that's called shredding.
jb said post game that even though the offense got better had we stayed in zone we lose by eight instead of fifteen. (or something close). zone simply was not effective.

Last edited:

The zone was not shredded. Gill was held to four shots, and their all American point guard was 2 for 14. The problem was that we were stagnant is our half court offense and could not score {21 points in the first half}. The press increased the tempo of the game and made our offense much more effective. It could have also backfired had they made some of the lay ups they missed. Some teams like Va. you have to speed up. Others like Carolina you have to slow down and the zone accomplishes that. I am just thankful things went our way and we are in the final four.

ok i stand corrected. it was working SO well we totally abandoned it. TWICE. (what game did you guys watch ?)

i too respectively disagree. we trailed double digits both games til we switched out of it. that's called shredding.
jb said post game that even though the offense got better had we stayed in zone we lose by eight instead of fifteen. (or something close). zone simply was not effective.
Sometimes you fall behind because your offense is ineffective, and not as a result of your defense.

so why change defenses ? are you saying the zone hinders our offense ?

so why change defenses ? are you saying the zone hinders our offense ?
No, I'm saying that falling behind can be a function of your offense, and that it isn't always a result of ineffective defense, as you seem to suggest.

Perrantes shredded the zone. His teammates did not. We went to the press because we couldn't keep up with him and had fallen behind due to his 25 footers.

I agree 110%, I'd love to see the press earlier in games for a couple minutes here or there. Especially when the offense is stagnating, because the press can get us out in transition which leads to easier buckets. Especially since our teams often have athletic wing players that are a threat running the floor off the alley oop or to take a pass and attack the basket, but not much of a threat in the half court, such as Roberson.

I get why JB doesn't like to go into it in those spots - when your defense is as good as ours is, giving up an easy layup when they break the press is pretty tough to swallow, but the tradeoff of a chance to spark a struggling offense makes it worthwhile. Also, when you're a heavy underdog, you should be willing to take more risks to increase the variance factor in the game. It's kind of like it always frustrated me early in Marrone's tenure when he'd punt on 4th and short against a much better team. Sometimes, it's right to take a chance in a spot when you know you probably need to catch a couple breaks and shake things up to win.
Next year we will have 7 feet and 10 fouls to defend the goal.

Next year we will have 7 feet and 10 fouls to defend the goal.

15. Don't rule out Chinoso as a third option for emergencies, although he might prefer Lydon.

the big trunk monkey dilemma for jb is that when trailing we needs a bad ass trunk swat gorilla underneath to guard the basket if the press is broken but he also needs lydons outside shot and spider monkey finesse underneath on offense if we get a stop or turnover. can't sub without a whistle. we've been pretty lucky so far.

next year look out. lydon will add more muscle and chukwu and obo will bring hard fouls for trespassing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom