The dream is still alive | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The dream is still alive

You are right it is Babers lock, stock and OL. However JW should not have given that long an extension for a single flash in the pan season.
I do not remember one poster saying he should not be extended. DB biggest mistakes was hiring his father in law and cavenaugh. Both those issues may cost him his job in the end.

Yeah! A real coach! Bring in Sean Lewis ! Or big Clark Lea they will turn this thing right around! top 25 recruiting classes and fighting for ACC championships every year.

let’s go!!!
I remember people thinking deako was going to turn around UConn. Clark Lea is not the answer. The D is going to be good next year. We need to find an offense. It’s just interesting when DB first got here we scored all the time. Now we cannot score at all.

I remember people thinking deako was going to turn around UConn. Clark Lea is not the answer. The D is going to be good next year. We need to find an offense. It’s just interesting when DB first got here we scored all the time. Now we cannot score at all.
Pace - the offense scored a lot because the team moved fast. Going by memory, the D gave up quick drives, and the offense seemed to either score or go 3 and out.

We need a team that scores when we get the ball, and there is a world of difference between scoring a lot of the time and scoring a lot of the time that we have the ball. The first is neutral (and maybe bad). The second is good.

This sounds like an easy way to bail on that 8-4 projection. We aren’t winning 8 games with this coaching staff.

No it’s not, the core premise is that the current roster and the incoming class being in place in March

Since I’ve been saying this for months it’s not backing out of anything

Only someone acting out of bad faith would make that accusation

This is a bad post.

Inaccurate and insulting to Syracuse University Football.
I hate to feel this way. But reality is that SU football as great as it was in the past has been horrible in a log while. (except when Dunghey was our QB).

gettinggood players is directly correlated to how well they view the program. We are and have been a bottom P5 team. If a recruit gets an offer from us and another P5 team, where is he going. When’s the last time we had a five star? And our 4 star didn’t turn out so well because he is flat on his back because he’s protected by an Oline that are not competitive with the P5 teams we play.

I don’t live in Syracuse and are surrounded by fans of football. I have to stay home to watch the game cause the sports bars I go to rather watch a top 25 team. Atop 50 team... we aren’t and have not been in that range for too long. If we do not recognize this we are doomed to continue to be a bad team.

it’s a bad post but unfortunately a real post and I have been a fan for longer than most on this board have been alive.

I think they pussyfoot the qb too much

They hide behind how complicated it is to learn

Then simplify it so any kid can come in and contribute after a spring and summer session.

We actually didn't score all the time at first. We were about average. We put up good yardage but actually scored less than 30 ppg the first two years. In 2018 the points finally caught up to the yards. However, If we were able to combine the offense from the first two years with this year's defense, we win a few more games this year.

I think they pussyfoot the qb too much

They hide behind how complicated it is to learn

Then simplify it so any kid can come in and contribute after a spring and summer session.
It's possible, if unlikely, one of the freshman we have may have been able to do that. What you just described was Devito when he backed up Dungey. But: 1) most freshman don't enroll in time to have a spring and 2) our freshman didn't even have a summer.

Why do people talk like our freshman QBs had a bunch of time to practice the offense? They stepped on campus in August and had about 3 weeks of practice before the first game.

It's possible, if unlikely, one of the freshman we have may have been able to do that. What you just described was Devito when he backed up Dungey. But: 1) most freshman don't enroll in time to have a spring and 2) our freshman didn't even have a summer.

Why do people talk like our freshman QBs had a bunch of time to practice the offense? They stepped on campus in August and had about 3 weeks of practice before the first game.

They were also both projects. I thought most knew that going in. The loss was the kid that transferred to BG, he was suppose to be the back up. Summers a disaster as well. ( yes all babers fault, etc etc. I get it)

They were also both projects. I thought most knew that going in. The loss was the kid that transferred to BG, he was suppose to be the back up. Summers a disaster as well. ( yes all babers fault, etc etc. I get it)
I get that people are frustrated with the QB room, but emotions shouldn't trump logic. It seems that the biggest mistake Dino made was hiring Martin tombe QB coach. Hopefully he rectified that with Gilbert, but that wasn't going to be seen this year with covid. Whether it helps with QB recruiting is up in the air but it seems to be looking up with Lamson. It's almost like people think that coaching changes or the dome upgrades can go back in time and improve what already happened. Results will lag behind changes.

Last edited:
Honestly I never even realized how many players are on a D1 roster until last two years with all of the depth and injury issues. You usually think of the QB spot as, barring injury, the position with zero subs all season. Surprising to me we would have 4/5 on the roster given that.

Which brings me to a side point... I've always wondered how some of the kids figure out the decision of "playing" at a D1 school, actually never seeing the field though, compared to just going D2/D3 and playing for 3-4 years. Always intrigued me where the overlap is.

I get that people are frustrated with the QB room, but emotions shouldn't trump logic. It seems that the biggest mistake Dino made was hiring Martin tombe QB coach. Hopefully he rectified that with Gilbert, but that wasn't going to be seen this year with covid. Whether it helps with QB recruiting is up in the air but it seems to be looking up with Lamson. It's almost like people think that coaching changes or the dome upgrades can go back in time and improve what already happened. Results will lag behind changes.

Honestly I never even realized how many players are on a D1 roster until last two years with all of the depth and injury issues. You usually think of the QB spot as, barring injury, the position with zero subs all season. Surprising to me we would have 4/5 on the roster given that.

Which brings me to a side point... I've always wondered how some of the kids figure out the decision of "playing" at a D1 school, actually never seeing the field though, compared to just going D2/D3 and playing for 3-4 years. Always intrigued me where the overlap is.
Yeah, 4-5 on the roster is too many in the pros where they can always go sign a free agent if there is an injury and the game day roster is limited to 53 players. In college it makes sense to have more because of graduation, transfers, injuries, and unpredictable player development. Where we have been hurt is the gap between our two upperclassman and the freshman. There should be other guys somewhere in that gap. Amie transferring and failure to bring in other guys in previous classes has hurt.

Last edited:
remember all the threads and posts screaming EXTEND THE MAN NOW? And the resultant giddiness when we did?
Yes I do and I was not one of those, I would however been all in on a two year extension.

Who does he play for now? Bears? Raiders? Steelers? A guy good enough to single handidly win 10 games must be one of the best football players out there.
You miss the point . He was a fighter & leader in college. The team was motivated with him in there. Without him we're max a 5 win team that year. He never quit. Set some SU records. Who cares if he went pro or not? When he was healthy, he was exactly what we needed . A great college player!! We need mire like him! Recruited by our previous coach...not Dino.

You miss the point . He was a fighter & leader in college. The team was motivated with him in there. Without him we're max a 5 win team that year. He never quit. Set some SU records. Who cares if he went pro or not? When he was healthy, he was exactly what we needed . A great college player!! We need mire like him! Recruited by our previous coach...not Dino.

Sorry. You don’t get to give all the credit to one player. That’s not how team sports work. Dungey was the best player, Dino was the coach, and everything came together.

Sorry. You don’t get to give all the credit to one player. That’s not how team sports work. Dungey was the best player, Dino was the coach, and everything came together.
There's a certain glue guy or two on winning teams. It began with E.D. like having one 5* kid on the BBall team. He carries & energuzes the team...like E D. did.

There's a certain glue guy or two on winning teams. It began with E.D. like having one 5* kid on the BBall team. He carries & energuzes the team...like E D. did.

Football is not like basketball. 5 vs. 22

Obviously having a stud at QB is huge but that doesn’t mean you get to devalue the coach and everybody else.

Football is not like basketball. 5 vs. 22

Obviously having a stud at QB is huge but that doesn’t mean you get to devalue the coach and everybody else.
I simply suggested that w/o E.D. the team loses leadership, spirit & moxy.and we don't have a 10 win season. HE was the "energizer bunny" on that team. No doubt about it...in my eyes. He did have a decent surrounding cast...but he made plays no other guys on our roster would make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom