The dream's still alive | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The dream's still alive

Moving parts are the mystery right now.

In 2015 we kept on losing at the end of the season. With every loss the usual suspects like kaiser would count us out, but the bubble was not squeezing us. We lost our last 3 must wins games and still got in.

In 2017 the board in general felt very good after beating duke. You can check my posts I said 50% because there is too much bad that we could not control. and when we lost to tech and Miami, the rest of the bubble played well including in the NCAA tourney and we got squeezed out. Many called us in even if we did not win any games other than Duke.

Point is — if the season plays out like 2015 some of the lower predictions we have now would be enough... but in 2017 it would be the opposite.
^^^^^

Moving parts are the mystery right now.

In 2015 we kept on losing at the end of the season. With every loss the usual suspects like kaiser would count us out, but the bubble was not squeezing us. We lost our last 3 must wins games and still got in.

In 2017 the board in general felt very good after beating duke. You can check my posts I said 50% because there is too much bad that we could not control. and when we lost to tech and Miami, the rest of the bubble played well including in the NCAA tourney and we got squeezed out. Many called us in even if we did not win any games other than Duke.

Point is — if the season plays out like 2015 some of the lower predictions we have now would be enough... but in 2017 it would be the opposite.

I was guilty of a little too much exuberance after that Duke victory last year.

It will be interesting for sure what happens with those last 4 in/out business using this inaugural quadrant jargan. I just can’t get excited about any of these potential bubble teams, frankly. The quality of play as a whole this season is way down. I’m sure I’ll get into the Tourney once it happens and lay down a few parlays but my excitement as a whole this season for college hoops (not just because of the anemic SU team) has faded. Maybe all the FBI/dark cloud over the sport has muddled my senses as well.

Appears I am getting 2015 and 2016 mixed up.

Anyway no point arguing about generally small margins. Point is we need to keep winning some games in some mix.

I'll add that anyone who thinks we can finish 8-10 and not go on a run in the ACC Tournament is without a clue.
Is G-Mac walking through that door?

If we end 8 and 10, 2 tourney wins could do it but no guarantees. 8 and 10 with 3 tourney wins would guarantee a dance ticket.

Last edited:
lol barking up the wrong tree.
What if we win at Duke and nothing else?
(answer: we would likely be in)

Point is - there are still MANY scenarios possible and alot of those don't even involve our team. Just look at the past week. Most around here were moaning the season was over after the NcSt game.

You might consider making less declarative statements on things that are in a constant state of flux and will change 100 more times in the coming 2 weeks. There is no magic definitive number of wins.

Agree with everything except Duke, unless I am misreading it. If we win at Duke. and lost every other game including the ACCT. Not sure that I would have much confidence in that, but at the same time the bubble can lose its momentum. The bubble has done well this week. Not saying no chance to various scenarios around 8-10, but likelihood went down on each.

Last edited:
I think something we all need to consider (and definitely including myself) is context. A comment of what we need may be made more in the form of what we need to feel safe -- it doesn't necessarily mean we have no chance if we don't achieve that.

It will be interesting for sure what happens with those last 4 in/out business using this inaugural quadrant jargan. I just can’t get excited about any of these potential bubble teams, frankly. The quality of play as a whole this season is way down. I’m sure I’ll get into the Tourney once it happens and lay down a few parlays but my excitement as a whole this season for college hoops (not just because of the anemic SU team) has faded. Maybe all the FBI/dark cloud over the sport has muddled my senses as well.

So you're rooting for USC then? How are you a Syracuse fan again?

I feel more optimistic this year solely because of the rest of the field. You have teams in the top 25 with 7 loses right now, we have 9...people get worried about the fact we have a tougher part of our schedule coming up with ranked opponents but that’s perfect in my opinion. We are playing some of our best basketball of the season with a chance to make some noise beating ranked opponents at the end of the season. This is set up perfect in my opinion and IF we do our jobs and get a couple wins, Jimmy will have these guys back dancing.

I feel more optimistic this year solely because of the rest of the field. You have teams in the top 25 with 7 loses right now, we have 9...people get worried about the fact we have a tougher part of our schedule coming up with ranked opponents but that’s perfect in my opinion. We are playing some of our best basketball of the season with a chance to make some noise beating ranked opponents at the end of the season. This is set up perfect in my opinion and IF we do our jobs and get a couple wins, Jimmy will have these guys back dancing.

Yup. Beat UNC, Duke and Clemson and we in.

The guy is on a message board and has made over 10k posts. I think it’s safe to say he follows the team and is a fan.

But 9900 posts are anti-Syracuse, or anti-JB. Maybe just needs a hobby?

By the way...he says he attended USC. He has openly stated he’s a USC fan. I guess I’m just missing the Syracuse connection. Agree?

Last edited:
#clownshow
Rich coming from the guy who was adamant that the loss at Wake wasn't a bad loss.

Wake is 10-17 and 3-12 in the ACC. They were 7-6 when they beat us and had already lost to Liberty, GA Southern and Drake. Anybody could see they were going to be terrible and would flounder completely when they started playing ACC teams. Well, anybody but you.

Makes respecting your opinion on anything else basketball related tough.

I know I know...the metrics!

What a great day. My wife bought $7k worth of furniture for our living room and it didn’t even bother me. We won at Miami and our alive to make the tournament. Nothing she can do will bring me down off this cloud all weekend.
Have her purchase some new kitchen appliances this Wednesday.

To the OP, the dream is certainly still alive. Three more wins and I'd feel safe. I assume you're talking about the NCAAT. Already bagged the winning season.

Also, the larger dream of getting back to where we were in National prominence is alive and well, the longer term plan is there for all to see. Many (including myself) weren't expecting much from this incoming class. Now the future looks bright! We are back to having good developmental pieces at various stages (FH, PC, Buddy, Sid, and Hughes) along with studs Baz, OB, Carey, and maybe Battle. Looks like the last year of winning season or bubble watch talk for a while, to be replaced by seed and pod location talk.

This team is jelling and getting better by the day. It takes time to build a team's cohesion when your starting out with so many players who have never played together before. Also, most of the current players on the team are rookies in college basketball and have never played against teams at the level of competition of the ACC. They still have their best games ahead of them and IMO, they can play with and beat any of the team on the remaining schedule.

lol barking up the wrong tree.
What if we win at Duke and nothing else?
(answer: we would likely be in)

Point is - there are still MANY scenarios possible and alot of those don't even involve our team. Just look at the past week. Most around here were moaning the season was over after the NcSt game.

You might consider making less declarative statements on things that are in a constant state of flux and will change 100 more times in the coming 2 weeks. There is no magic definitive number of wins.

I bet you thought the same thing after we beat Duke last year.

Pearl31, you know I'm a big fan of yours. But this crusade you're on is misguided. I agree that things are still in flux, but I'm not trying to project what's the minimal threshold for us to get into the field by the narrowest margin -- I'm looking at what gets our heads safely above water.

So while I acknowledge the possibility that we could go 0-18 in conference play and still make it into the NCAA field by winning the ACCT, I don't want to be in a position where we're unsettled going into ACCT play. I'd like us to have a solid enough resume that whatever happens in the ACCT doesn't make or break us.

This team is jelling and getting better by the day. It takes time to build a team's cohesion when your starting out with so many players who have never played together before. Also, most of the current players on the team are rookies in college basketball and have never played against teams at the level of competition of the ACC. They still have their best games ahead of them and IMO, they can play with and beat any of the team on the remaining schedule.
It was nice to see Marek's 10-12 footer in the offense. Marek seems to be the type that wouldn't be taking those if he hadn't been instructed to by JB himself. Great to see him hit those. The whole offense should improve from that development, not just from the points he hits but also from the adjustments defenses will need to take in putting a body on him out there now.

It was nice to see Marek's 10-12 footer in the offense. Marek seems to be the type that wouldn't be taking those if he hadn't been instructed to by JB himself. Great to see him hit those. The whole offense should improve from that development, not just from the points he hits but also from the adjustments defenses will need to take in putting a body on him out there now.
Yes, I bet old boy Roy is saying the same thing right now. So I think they will have to put their best big man on him, which could allow PC and BS an opportunity to get some good matchups at the low post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom