The dream's still alive | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The dream's still alive

I would like to think that quality losses matter in the eyes of the selection committee. 9 losses so far by SU. No real blowouts although the 2 losses to UVA and Kansas were borderline but the 1st UVA game and the Kansas game were very close for most of the game. Other than that the losses have been to quality teams with SU falling just short. St. Bonaventure. FSU. ND (ugly but close). WF. GT. NC State. 6 of the 9 losses were to teams that are projected to be in the tournament. And ND could make it if Colson returns. All in all, SU has a healthy resume. I look at other teams projected to be in the tournament and almost all the lower seeds have ugly losses.

This team has exceeded most of our pre-season hopes. Thorpe quits the team. Sidibe develops tendonitis and you never know if he will play or not. Washington is lost for a good part of the season. Moyer gets hurt. 3 players play 40 MPG almost every game. Some thought the team would be lucky to avoid a losing record. Yet here we are with at least 5 games left and hopes of making the big tournament are still alive. No matter how you look at it, somewhat of a miracle season.

As an edit, I'll add that Dolezaj, all 180 pounds of him, has played center at times. Incredible! What this team lacks in talent, it partially makes up for in heart.

Last edited:
I had a dream that we got back to a place where it was no longer a dream to get to the Dance! ;)

I think Moyer is playing really hard. He needs to think about his game in terms of the Worm. He has 5 fouls to give so use them to get into the head and under the skin of the opponents best players, take them out of their game.

That works the other way too though. Could have easily lost the Maryland and Georgetown games. I’d rather focus on the future instead of playing the what if game. What’s done is done. Time to look forward.

I agree that was my point to

I bet you thought the same thing after we beat Duke last year.

Pearl31, you know I'm a big fan of yours. But this crusade you're on is misguided. I agree that things are still in flux, but I'm not trying to project what's the minimal threshold for us to get into the field by the narrowest margin -- I'm looking at what gets our heads safely above water.

So while I acknowledge the possibility that we could go 0-18 in conference play and still make it into the NCAA field by winning the ACCT, I don't want to be in a position where we're unsettled going into ACCT play. I'd like us to have a solid enough resume that whatever happens in the ACCT doesn't make or break us.
yep, think we're talking about two different "thresholds"
would agree that we'd need 2 more reg season and 1 in NYC to feel "completely safe" - of course, I also think we'd be about an 8 seed in that scenario

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom