The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor?

To me, outside family (including Hop + Hart (who I don't think is a possibility)) it's Boynton and it's not close. High level recruiter from NY stuck at football-first school in non-basketball-talent rich area of the country.

You get one chance at a guy like this with NY ties. Nobody from Brooklyn dreams about coaching at Oklahoma St. Coaches used to dream about having a program like Syracuse. The question is, would ADJW make such a bold move outside the program? Im skeptical.

Plus who from New York City would want to spend their life in Oklahoma? That's a very different culture that doesn't seem to mix.

The problem is that it is hard to imagine a coaching hire without input from Jimmy. It is equally hard to imagine he would not recommend one of his own.

List should start with Oats. Absolutely.

People are nuts if they think Syracuse cant give him an attractive offer.

We seem to have people in a few boats.

1. JB has earned the right to a graceful exit and should name his successor. (I was kind of here for a long time, but now obviously not. This group seems to be losing members though)

2. JB needs to go but Syracuse isn't an attractive destination for top coaches. Some of these guys were in this group 4+ years ago, before things got "bad."

3. JB needs to go but Syracuse is an attractive job with a ton of resources and will have a pick of great coaches.

I'm probably at 2.5. Used to think we'd have a line of coaches circling the Dome coach here. At this point I don't know. But we still have some huge advantages that no one else in the country has, and if anything, JB's failures the last several years have probably made the job more attractive to a big name. People don't like following legends who go out on top. Maybe they wont mind following a legend whose best days are long behind.

The problem is that it is hard to imagine a coaching hire without input from Jimmy. It is equally hard to imagine he would not recommend one of his own.
I bet JB is well connected in the overall coaching landscape and could get behind some external guys. I do get concerned he'll push for a continuity hire.

We seem to have people in a few boats.

1. JB has earned the right to a graceful exit and should name his successor. (I was kind of here for a long time, but now obviously not. This group seems to be losing members though)

2. JB needs to go but Syracuse isn't an attractive destination for top coaches. Some of these guys were in this group 4+ years ago, before things got "bad."

3. JB needs to go but Syracuse is an attractive job with a ton of resources and will have a pick of great coaches.

I'm probably at 2.5. Used to think we'd have a line of coaches circling the Dome coach here. At this point I don't know. But we still have some huge advantages that no one else in the country has, and if anything, JB's failures the last several years have probably made the job more attractive to a big name. People don't like following legends who go out on top. Maybe they wont mind following a legend whose best days are long behind.
Who's in Boat #1?

The difficulty for the university is getting the best coach for Cuse while respecting JAB and that isn’t an easy chore!

Perhaps coming up with a list of viable candidates and placing Coach on the list of those interviewing each without giving him veto power. My question is who has the stones and gravitas to present this ro him?

This needs to happen soon!!!

A9D72E3F-6D18-43CB-8B86-ECCEAC4A4B11.jpeg

Why can't they give the keys to Red at the start of conference play, Red the HC and Jim becomes coach Emeritus as his assistant to give advice. Let JB announce it so it sounds like it's his decision. Then you can see how Red do and decide in the summer to extend him or otherwise. Last home game pack the dome for JB. Ask Julie to sell it to Jim.

List should start with Oats. Absolutely.

People are nuts if they think Syracuse cant give him an attractive offer.

My first call would be to Jay Wright to see if he has an itch to get back into coaching.
2nd and 3rd call would be to Oats and Musselman.

Then I would probably hard look at Pitino because I feel the program needs juice to get a restart. I would be infavor of hiring Pitino over some mid major fast riser because I think we need it. If it was 5-6 years ago I think we can do hire within or mid major type hire now the program is so far down we need a big name to jumpstart the program.

We don't have to imagine it. he has already done so publically.

From Neil Alder's article a year ago: “I’ve got great staff. We’ve got guys that could take over at any time. We don’t have to go outside [the program]. Duke and North Carolina have proved this year you bring someone from inside and you move on. That’s the best way to move on in a program,” according to a recent article from our friends over at nunesmagician.com."

Just not sure what decisions he’s made the last few years would influence me to want to follow his recommendation

We don't have to imagine it. he has already done so publically.

From Neil Alder's article a year ago: “I’ve got great staff. We’ve got guys that could take over at any time. We don’t have to go outside [the program]. Duke and North Carolina have proved this year you bring someone from inside and you move on. That’s the best way to move on in a program,” according to a recent article from our friends over at nunesmagician.com."
Then why doesn't he ever consult any of his assistants during a game?

Luring Jay Wright back seems almost impossible.
But certainly worth a call because he was the best.
That would be a dream come true.

It seems any talk of Pitino is silly.
Great coach.
And no one gets more out of the talent he has.
But how would SU leadership explain his off-court history?
Don't see it...even though it didn't seem like a problem for a nice little Catholic school like Iona.

Luring Jay Wright back seems almost impossible.
But certainly worth a call because he was the best.
That would be a dream come true.

It seems any talk of Pitino is silly.
Great coach.
And no one gets more out of the talent he has.
But how would SU leadership explain his off-court history?
Don't see it...even though it didn't seem like a problem for a nice little Catholic school like Iona.
Pitino for two years as a transition hire could work.

History? His history started with orange and could end with orange. Why not?

As the population has migrated South over the past 20 years so has the high school basketball talent. The next HC needs to have national recruiting reach but really be able to consistently get top 50 players up and down the Eastern seaboard. Lots of top level talent from Miami to Boston. We need a coach that can reel it in.

As the population has migrated South over the past 20 years so has the high school basketball talent. The next HC needs to have national recruiting reach but really be able to consistently get top 50 players up and down the Eastern seaboard. Lots of top level talent from Miami to Boston. We need a coach that can reel it in.

Yes this isn't football where you try to get a coach with Northeast ties we need someone that has national reach if we want to remain a national brand.

Do people really think Oates and Musselman would leave SEC jobs and cash for Cuse? Hope I'm wrong but I think the pool of candidates is going to be humbling.

John Calipari. How's that for a fresh name? If he has another subpar March (lost to St Peter's last year in the first round) he could be on the hot seat. He's also brash enough not to care about following a legend.

Do people really think Oates and Musselman would leave SEC jobs and cash for Cuse? Hope I'm wrong but I think the pool of candidates is going to be humbling.

Not me -- that's defeatist "logic" that some are using to support keeping the candidate pool small [i.e., in the program].

Not sure that the empirical evidence backs that claim up. And I'm also sure that when the time comes, Wildhack will extensively vet candidates before any "pool" even gets announced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom