The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor?

I think you have to inquire about Wright. Probably goes nowhere, but you have to ask. Have to!!

I would love Oats, but he’s not leaving Bama. We’d offer, they’d counter - end of discussion. He’s in a no pressure high pay gig with only an upside.

As someone mentioned, I think the list would be humbling, not because we’re not a great job, but because the money elsewhere is just outrageous. These TV contracts have tilted the scale sooo much to the Big and SEC.

I want a hungry coach, someone who can coach, motivate and discipline (as much as you can these days). Have no issues going young non FBS.

Selfishly, I’d love to have Hop back, but I know the shine is off his star now. I still think he’s a great fit here, but I think the fan base really wants a break from the 2-3…and he has not shown to be a great game coach to this point. Will be interesting to see how he does this year. He portaled, would be undefeated if not for injuries. He rushed a kid back early and paid the price. Not sure we could lure him to be honest, they may be headed to the B1G…which is a game changer for his situation. Mostly good, but all that money means they could cut him loose at the drop of a hat.

I understand the desire to hire within from an administrative standpoint, but the further this ship takes on water, the harder that sell becomes to the fan base. It was also a horrrrrrriblllle look for our assistant coaches to get tossed the other night. Especially the leader in the clubhouse to take over.

We’re looking at an horrific season, and I just get the feeling that there’s gonna be mid -season personnel stunner. Someone is gonna leave or get kicked off or something. I can just feel it. There’s just the feeling of impending doom.

The continuity hire needed to be made last year - I hate it, but it was at least sellable to the fan base.

Now, we’re in no man’s land. The time for a smooth transition is gone, it’s going to be ugly.

The good news is, this ain’t football. With the portal and good recruiting, it can turn on a dime.

Last edited:

That's a very out of the box hire... a D2 coach, albeit a fantastic one. I think fans and Wildhack would want proven D1 success.
Yeah I agree. It’s unfortunate guys like that don’t get a real chance. Everyone likes a safe hire.

I think you have to inquire about Wright. Probably goes nowhere, but you have to ask. Have to!!

I would love Oats, but he’s not leaving Bama. We’d offer, they’d counter - end of discussion. He’s in a no pressure high pay gig with only an upside.

As someone mentioned, I think the list would be humbling, not because we’re not a great job, but because the money elsewhere is just outrageous. These TV contracts have tilted the scale sooo much to the Big and SEC.

I want a hungry coach, someone who can coach, motivate and discipline (as much as you can these days). Have no issues going young non FBS.

Selfishly, I’d love to have Hop back, but I know the shine is off his star now. I still think he’s a great fit here, but I think the fan base really wants a break from the 2-3…and he has not shown to be a great game coach to this point. Will be interesting to see how he does this year. He portaled, would be undefeated if not for injuries. He rushed a kid back early and paid the price. Not sure we could lure him to be honest, they may be headed to the B1G…which is a game changer for his situation. Mostly good, but all that money means they could cut him loose at the drop of a hat.

I understand the desire to hire within from an administrative standpoint, but the further this ship takes on water, the harder that sell becomes to the fan base. It was also a horrrrrrriblllle look for our assistant coaches to get tossed the other night. Especially the leader in the clubhouse to take over.

We’re looking at an horrific season, and I just get the feeling that there’s gonna be mid -season personnel stunner. Someone is gonna leave or get kicked off or something. I can just feel it. There’s just the feeling of impending doom.

The continuity hire needed to be made last year - I hate it, but it was at least sellable to the fan base.

Now, we’re in no man’s land. The time for a smooth transition is gone, it’s going to be ugly.

The good news is, this ain’t football. With the portal and good recruiting, it can turn on a dime.

This is a good post. But I don't resonate with the use of the word "humbling," because there are lots of terrific coaches out there. Some of them will be names that people might not recognize, but that's not an indictment of their quality / potential.

So for the segment of our fan base that only watches SU basketball games, it might feel "humbling" because they don't recognize the name of the candidate. But if the AD does what you recommend, looking at well qualified up in comers who have a proven track record and want to take the next step in their career at one of the premier college basketball jobs, then there's nothing humbling about it.

I'm of the mindset that some of the names that get frequently thrown out, like cause williams, might not be realistic. But maybe there would be reciprocal interest. Whatever, time will tell. And the ad will explore a lot of those options just to make sure no doubt he'll kick the tires with back office inquiries.

And I agree 100%, you have to at least follow that process with Jay wright. When his name frequently got brought up while he was at villanova, it was 100% a non-starter. But now? I'm not suggesting he'll return to coaching, but it's way more realistic now than it was in the past. It certainly isn't unheard of for proven coaches to go the broadcast route, then get the bug and return. A guy like Jay wright with turn things around immediately.

And if he politely declines, there's no egg on Syracuse's face if wild hack goes through back channels to gauge interest.

But I think the fan base needs to be more open to the nets being cast wider to identify the right candidate, and not declare that the sky is falling if a few names on the list end up being guys from lower levels, or up in commerce from mid major D1 conferences that people don't recognize.

There is zero reason why we can't pay what Duke plays. Zero. Jon Scheyer contract is more than double the amount of Oats and Musselman's contract.

Hmm. Thought he was pretty spot on. Like he said, things can change. It’s the nature of passing along info you hear.

Totally disagree, in terms of what is germaine to this thread. He was right about the players, wrong about pretty much everything else related to the coaching situation. That's what I was referring to.

Jake started this one…

Totally disagree, in terms of what is germaine to this thread. He was right about the players, wrong about pretty much everything else related to the coaching situation. That's what I was referring to.
What did he say that was proven wrong?

What did he say that was proven wrong?

Tons:

Coaches Retirement/His interview the other day-
Apparently, coach was feeling the heat/pressure to speak up about the so called "plan" from booster/fans/JW. My connection kept harping on the term "succession plan" always means "in house" . He said watch the smaller school openings and if one of the assistants bolt for it, Hop is most likely to get let go at UW and he could slide back home for a year than take over. He said that's all a big if but could happen. Likelihood it's Red for the takeover and he will be the lead recruiter for the 2023 cycle. Still hasn't ruled out JB calling it in the summer time, exact quote " I get he promised these income recruits he was going to coach them but with both sons leaving, why?". JW is hearing all the chatter and criticism and knows something needs to happen soon. JB has and will have input in the hire but not full.

• JB felling pressure from fans?
  • Implying that there's a succession plan in place
  • That Wild hack pressured JB to make a statement
  • That Red is the guy
  • That summer is when JB would call it
I don't shoot messengers, but there's tons of speculative content being presented as fact, even giving degrees of freedom for things being fluid.

Lots of opinions being presented as factual.

Thank you Cusefan0307 for including links to similar past threads. I don't post often, so I didn't see/read all of these. I do think it's neat to look back at some of the options listed in the past. Some are names we're still recycling, but some of the up/coming coaches have changed. That said, in my quick scan I didn't see anyone mention Boynton or Valentine or even the Iowa St coach as potential successors. Who is your pick? Internal or outside hire?

Tons:

Coaches Retirement/His interview the other day-
Apparently, coach was feeling the heat/pressure to speak up about the so called "plan" from booster/fans/JW. My connection kept harping on the term "succession plan" always means "in house" . He said watch the smaller school openings and if one of the assistants bolt for it, Hop is most likely to get let go at UW and he could slide back home for a year than take over. He said that's all a big if but could happen. Likelihood it's Red for the takeover and he will be the lead recruiter for the 2023 cycle. Still hasn't ruled out JB calling it in the summer time, exact quote " I get he promised these income recruits he was going to coach them but with both sons leaving, why?". JW is hearing all the chatter and criticism and knows something needs to happen soon. JB has and will have input in the hire but not full.

• JB felling pressure from fans?
  • Implying that there's a succession plan in place
  • That Wild hack pressured JB to make a statement
  • That Red is the guy
  • That summer is when JB would call it
I don't shoot messengers, but there's tons of speculative content being presented as fact, even giving degrees of freedom for things being fluid.

Lots of opinions being presented as factual.
He couches every statement. None of it is stated as fact.

Sean Miller, Bryce Drew, Matt Langel
The only way I see JB stepping down midseason is if he wants to give a coach on his staff a head start to be considered the next head coach. This could happen if Wildhack indicates that he will be looking outside of the program after JB "retires" at the end of the year.
I could honestly see JB stepping down in December 2023. That way he gives Red a whole ACC season to coach a more seasoned team.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom