The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor?

The only way I see JB stepping down midseason is if he wants to give a coach on his staff a head start to be considered the next head coach. This could happen if Wildhack indicates that he will be looking outside of the program after JB "retires" at the end of the year.

I'd like to know how many guys have gone from Patriot League/Low major to the ACC and succeeded. Steve Donohue had great teams at Cornell and was a disaster at BC.

He's also 45 so not really "young."

Would the coach from Colgate excite the fan base? Seems like something out of the 60s.
Coach K from Army to Duke but that was a long long time ago. Jay Wright went from Hofstra to Nova. That was over two decades ago. There are some others, but less of those in recent years.

List should start with Oats. Absolutely.

People are nuts if they think Syracuse cant give him an attractive offer.
Exactly. We’re not Kentucky or Kansas but we should be able to match Bama and the Syracuse program has more positives to sell with 30,000 fans at the Dome, a basketball crazed fan base yearning for a return to the glory days, and a national basketball brand name that resonates across generations. He’d turn recruiting into a juggernaut real quick.

Last edited:
Not me -- that's defeatist "logic" that some are using to support keeping the candidate pool small [i.e., in the program].

Not sure that the empirical evidence backs that claim up. And I'm also sure that when the time comes, Wildhack will extensively vet candidates before any "pool" even gets announced.

144% this.

We shoot our shot.
Big swing.

We’ve got the $, Cuse hs been getting the hometown discount from JAB for decades.

With the attendance at the Dome, a National following, and a Top 6 all-time record, in a premier P5 hoops conference, there is NO reason we can’t get our guy.

IF we were humming along (like UNC, Dook, Nova) then YES -
You go for the continuity hire.

Because you’ve got something worth continuing.

We are way, WAY beyond that now.

Cuse needs a reboot in the worst way.

Time to hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

I see lots of votes for Jay Wright, Pitino, Oats and Musselman.

I'm a hard pass on Pitino because he is 70 and he'd have SU in trouble again in no time flat.

Jay Wright I'd be all over, but he's not coming back.

Oats and Musselman would be homeruns but I can't see us being able to outbid Bama or Arkansas with SEC money. That said if either could be enticed to come I'm TOTALLY on board.

A couple of other names I'll throw out there are Creighton's McDermott, and Iowa State's TJ Otzelberger -he has a winning record as a head coach and was at one time regarded as one of the top recruiters in the nation.

Not me -- that's defeatist "logic" that some are using to support keeping the candidate pool small [i.e., in the program].

Not sure that the empirical evidence backs that claim up. And I'm also sure that when the time comes, Wildhack will extensively vet candidates before any "pool" even gets announced.
Remember when we hired Coyle and people like the guy you responded to thought that the best we could get would be the AD at Bucknell. And same thing with Anae and Beck. Some of our fans have such a low opinion of Syracuse.

144% this.

We shoot our shot.
Big swing.

We’ve got the $, Cuse hs been getting the hometown discount from JAB for decades.

With the attendance at the Dome, a National following, and a Top 6 all-time record, in a premier P5 hoops conference, there is NO reason we can’t get our guy.

Grand slam post.

I'll add just a couple of other names to the pot... Ed Cooley, Buzz Williams, or even Matt Painter at Purdue. I still prefer Drew Valentine or Mike Boynton as my top two choices.

Wow -- that OP in that thread was a bunch of malarkey. Or rather, opinion stated as fact.

Why can't they give the keys to Red at the start of conference play, Red the HC and Jim becomes coach Emeritus as his assistant to give advice. Let JB announce it so it sounds like it's his decision. Then you can see how Red do and decide in the summer to extend him or otherwise. Last home game pack the dome for JB. Ask Julie to sell it to Jim.
I’m not totally against that. As much as we hate Calhoun, him and JB are a lot alike and friends and peers. Calhoun put UConn over a barrel with his retirement announcement right before a season start and forced his handpicked successor Kevin Ollie on UConn. They had no choice and would only make Ollie interim coach . He had a good interim year and got the job and then won a title. Let’s do that with Red make him interim coach and hope we get a title ( I kid, but some success and positive signs would be an indicator to stay or go outside after) . Everyone wins

144% this.

We shoot our shot.
Big swing.

Absolutely. You make them say no. No one has offered Red or G-Mac HC jobs to this point-They’ll be available if you really can’t attract anyone proven. FWIW I remember posts here saying that Dino would never come here.

I'll add just a couple of other names to the pot... Ed Cooley, Buzz Williams, or even Matt Painter at Purdue. I still prefer Drew Valentine or Mike Boynton as my top two choices.
I could see Buzz wanting to come back East and return to the ACC, even though he’s from Texas. Painter is an alum so he’s never leaving Purdue, and he’s got that program humming. We need to find the NEXT Matt Painter. He’s a truly brilliant offensive coach. And he doesn’t subscribe to JB’s “keep it simple” philosophy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom