'The Experts' about the break down SU on ESPNU | Syracusefan.com

'The Experts' about the break down SU on ESPNU

Bob Valvano and Miles Austin said our depth is a problem this time of year. Miles gave example of how they beat Kansas with their starters averaging low-to-mid 30 mins per game vs Paul Pierce, etc at KU only playing high 20s and that was the time you could make a run when they were on the bench. Dino Gaudio said JB wouldn't change, then Welsch piped in and said he has changed noting the bench has gotten shorter and that JB uses his bench differently than other. Said who else has a Dion coming off the bench and that Scoop has been horrible and SU won't go to final four if he doesn't turn it around. Laphonso Ellis said he did the last couple UNC-A games, that they have a couple of really good guards but like to play uptempo which will play into our hands.

Bob Valvano and Miles Austin said our depth is a problem this time of year. Miles gave example of how they beat Kansas with their starters averaging low-to-mid 30 mins per game vs Paul Pierce, etc at KU only playing high 20s and that was the time you could make a run when they were on the bench. Dino Gaudio said JB wouldn't change, then Welsch piped in and said he has changed noting the bench has gotten shorter and that JB uses his bench differently than other. Said who else has a Dion coming off the bench and that Scoop has been horrible and SU won't go to final four if he doesn't turn it around. Laphonso Ellis said he did the last couple UNC-A games, that they have a couple of really good guards but like to play uptempo which will play into our hands.

Well seeing we really are only playing 7.5 that becomes a moot point in their argument.

Well seeing we really are only playing 7.5 that becomes a moot point in their argument.

Agree. That was Welsch's point. Clearly some of the 'experts' haven't watched us lately.

Bob Valvano and Miles Austin said our depth is a problem this time of year.

I think that's why JB played a shorter bench down the stretch. He wanted to get his main guys used to playing more minutes. Welsh pretty much confirmed it.

We will need quality minutes from dirty and mcw to go far

I want to be able to say that we can count on our seniors to help us go far, but, can we? I think BT and JS really need to give us some production also. I'd like to see some MCW on Thurs.

I want to be able to say that we can count on our seniors to help us go far, but, can we? I think BT and JS really need to give us some production. I'd like to see some MCW on Thurs.
I think this is the perfect game for Rak and MCW to get some decent PT

Jeeze...not saying we shouldn't win relatively easily on Thursday but you guys are really concerned with Rak and MCW? We need Scoop, Kris and Brandon to step up and play well. We can't go anywhere without solid play and leadership from our veterans first and foremost.

Jeeze...not saying we shouldn't win relatively easily on Thursday but you guys are really concerned with Rak and MCW? We need Scoop, Kris and Brandon to step up and play well. We can't go anywhere without solid play and leadership from our veterans first and foremost.
I agree. We need our horses to shine and if they dont we are in deep doo doo.

Agreed. When this team was at it's best, it was when we had any combination of Scoop / BT / KJ / Dion / Southerland shooting well. It would be great to get contributions from MCW and Rak. In particular, it would be great to see Rak continue to give us contributions like did against uconn, as a backup big. But they are not going to have a significant impact on our postseason performance.

I think Rak is the backup center now. MCW and Baye will not play meaningful minutes.

Oh I agree...I just don't think we can trust them. I truly hope I am wrong. In case they struggle like in the BET having BT and JS contribute would be big. Definitely not "concerned" about Rak/MCW. Just would be nice to give them some minutes in our first game.

Do we have a Paul Pierce?

East region final four picks from the roundtable

Dino G - Vandy
Miles Austin - Cuse
Laphonso - Vandy
Tim Welsch - Cuse
Adrian Branch - FSU
B Valvano - FSU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member