The fans are starting to turn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The fans are starting to turn

Being a Cuse fan for 45 years now, I cannot watch this team and find myself changing the channel and viewing something else. It is obvious JB is only coaching for his sons and I am all for a change after the season with someone from outside of the program. CUSE hoops is nowhere the program it use to be for it is a middle of the pack ACC team that will never challenge Duke, UNC & Virginia.

it has been eroded for sometime. the program has suffered. he is out of touch at this point. benny and symir need to be starting with cole and buddy off the bench. the defense is horrific. imho we have nothing to lose
To suggest relegating someone to be a bench reserve that had 27 points, 5 assists, while shooting a stellar 5-11 from three and 8-9 from the line (after scoring 50 points and shooting 6-12 from three in the 2 prior games), may be one of the dumbest suggestions I have seen on here.

Last edited:
I agree. Jim can still coach, but the roster is a disaster. With today’s shooters the zone is now obsolete. It can be picked apart by just about anyone including Ivy League teams. For some reason our recruiting has forgot what big time athletes look like. We are the only team in the ACC without at least one bruiser on the floor. We are so soft and non aggressive it’s embarrassing. For some reason, JB doesn’t see it or he thinks he can coach anyone up to win. The ACC has proven him wrong.
I think part of the problem the last few years is that this is who these guys play against all fall and winter. Our defense probably looks very good against our own players and vice versa.

Being a Cuse fan for 45 years now, I cannot watch this team and find myself changing the channel and viewing something else. It is obvious JB is only coaching for his sons and I am all for a change after the season with someone from outside of the program. CUSE hoops is nowhere the program it use to be for it is a middle of the pack ACC team that will never challenge Duke, UNC & Virginia.
I mean he basically said in the presser that Buddy and Jimmy were the only guys doing anything. I mean I don’t think he has ever noted a hole in Buddy’s game

To suggest putting a guy on the bench that had 27 points, 5 assists, while shooting a stellar 5-11 from three and 8-9 from the line (after scoring 50 points and shooting 6-12 from three in the 2 prior games), may be one of the dumbest suggestions in board history.
He had to mean Jimmy. Benny doesn’t play the 2.

I've become accustomed to meh and will watch back and forth with other things as Chip said.

I'm not pleased with how things have gone, especially the last two or three years. I understand some of the reasons. I'm also not pleased with how coach has recruited or built his roster.

I think roster talent wise we are in the post Thomas, Hart, Blackwell years as a program, maybe worse. We used to roll out some of the most athletic teams in the country. Now we are one of the least athletic teams year after year.

Not sure we have the best bench staff we should have either, from a recruiting, game plan, development stance.

Thing is the post Thomas, Hart and Blackwell years were really only 2 seasons since 2002 featured the Edelin, Hakim, Pace and Forth (and Konecny) class followed by Melo and Gerry (and Gorman). The title came only 3 seasons after Thomas, Hart and Blackwell left. After that, we were off and rolling with recruiting for obvious reasons coming off a title with Melo.

Thing is the post Thomas, Hart and Blackwell years were really only 2 seasons since 2002 featured the Edelin, Hakim, Pace and Forth (and Konecny) class followed by Melo and Gerry (and Gorman). The title came only 3 seasons after Thomas, Hart and Blackwell left. After that, we were off and rolling with recruiting for obvious reasons coming off a title with Melo.
Yes but those two years were bereft of talent.

And the year after Wallace was rough

The biggest difference post Thomas, Blackwell and Hart was Louie Orr leaving and hiring Troy Weaver as well as promoting Hop to be able to recruit on the road. Question is can we somehow get a Troy Weaver type on the staff before Boeheim retires? Sadly that’s doubtful.

I mean he basically said in the presser that Buddy and Jimmy were the only guys doing anything. I mean I don’t think he has ever noted a hole in Buddy’s game
It was the first he ever publicly said anything negative about Jimmy or Buddy yesterday.
He called out his Fts but Buddy never.
Jesse for sure got his criticism though.

Yes but those two years were bereft of talent.

And the year after Wallace was rough

Yeah thankfully we had veteran leadership with Allen and Damone as well as enough talent with Shumpert and DeShaun (before the team drama) to keep the ship afloat. The days of Ethan Cole, James Theus, Greg Davis and Billy Celuck (God love him) were a sign to Boeheim that Orr wasn’t cutting it on the recruiting trail.

It was the first he ever publicly said anything negative about Jimmy or Buddy yesterday.
He called out his Fts but Buddy never.
Jesse for sure got his criticism though.

Yeah, and prefaced by the whole, "I know he is my son" malarkey. Him prefacing that before stating the completely and very obvious objective remark about how Jimmy needs to make his free throws really speaks for itself in regards to how he treats and handles players whom share similar failures so differently.

Yeah, and prefaced by the whole "I know he is my son" malarkey. Him prefacing that before stating the completely and very obvious objective remark about he has to make his free throws really speaks for itself in regard to how he treats and handles players whom share similar failures so differently.
I mean I don’t even want him to rip any players publicly if I was honest. Like Belichick never says anything negative about players publicly and they are pros.

But he rips on a select few when they struggle and not everyone else. I don’t want JB to rip his kids or there buddies but friggin leave Roberson alone years ago or the PG who transferred last year alone after the BC game or Jesse who is our friggin best all around player.

The HC makes it obvious which is why it’s noted whom he picks on and whom he doesn’t. Which is why saying Jimmy out loud last night was a first.

Ugh, I couldn't even make it through that presser. Jesse this, Cole that, Joe blah blah blah. I want the coach to stand up there and take the heat. Then I want him to go in to the locker room and hold the players accountable. His job is to prepare them, teach them...COACH them. Then they need to execute. Is it the players not named Boeheim that are 100% of the problem? Doubtful. If I am recruiting against Syracuse, I just play one of these pressers for a kid and watch him cross Syracuse off his list.

Did you note the 5 times he called out Jimmy for his shooting percentage or his FT percentage?
Noted but that’s kind of noting your kid can’t hit a pitch but is swinging hard. There’s a lot of flaws here

Noted but that’s kind of noting your kid can’t hit a pitch but is swinging hard. There’s a lot of flaws here
It’s also low hanging fruit. Everyone knows 2/8 from the line is bad, it doesn’t take any extra analysis to understand that. But he never has criticized either of them in regards to their defense and rebounding like he does with everyone else. Also, he said in the presser something to the effect of Jimmy abd Buddy can’t keep carrying us

No doubt, but even in those lean years guys like Burgan, Damone Brown, Allen Griffin, Otis Hill were better (or at least better fits for their position) than anyone currently in the program.
That 2001 team overachieved and was actually one of Boeheim’s better coaching jobs. They lost a lot from the previous season and still were ranked in the top 10 at one point during the season, won a good Great Alaska Shootout and achieved a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament.

I agree. Jim can still coach, but the roster is a disaster. With today’s shooters the zone is now obsolete. It can be picked apart by just about anyone including Ivy League teams. For some reason our recruiting has forgot what big time athletes look like. We are the only team in the ACC without at least one bruiser on the floor. We are so soft and non aggressive it’s embarrassing. For some reason, JB doesn’t see it or he thinks he can coach anyone up to win. The ACC has proven him wrong.
If you have athletes in the zone and can press it would work. Unfortunately we don't and can’t

The buzz and excitement around the program is hanging onto some surprise post season runs Buddy and Jimmy playing together and Buddy possibly being an AA. There isn't much you get excited for when you grab your seat or turn on the game. This program needs a huge shot in the arm and for once maybe it's just not JB to have that shot to give anymore. JW has been forced to navigate a lot of issues with women's hoops, lax and the football conundrum and now that the tide is stemmed for those at the moment- basketball has to be next. Time for a real plan of attack and a timeline to aggressively pursue a successful
post JB Era that also includes JB buying in and supporting the next chapter.

There is no real 'easy' answer for next year if JB comes back. I don't think this is a bad group of players and I think they can do well next year running it back. But...

We either add the 2 key rotation guys we need via the portal and are competitive but for that to work you have to scale Jimmy and Buddy's minutes back somewhat.

Or we roll with next years recruiting class as our depth. They might not be burger boys but I can't imagine any are worse or less ready than Williams.

Thing is if we add help from the portal the 2022 recruiting class will NEVER play they will be buried and we won't have a clue what we have there. See Freshman Edwards whom none of us realized was a star in the making and we almost lost him to staying in Europe summer 2020 when his role was unclear.

JB buying in and supporting the next chapter.

JB is a hall of famer who will likey walk into Dick Vitale's #1 CBB color role at ESPN the second he stops coaching.

He has no reason to be bitter and I doubt will say anything negative publicly if hes not involved in the next hire. He's had 2 decades atop the SU sports pyramid where he could have stepped down and become AD.

You only consider letting an assistant get the job if the cupboard is stacked and the roster loaded for the next 2 seasons. Its not and that can't be an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom