The fans are starting to turn | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The fans are starting to turn

The Jimmy FT comment was forced. He even said “I woidlnt even say this If this wasn’t my son”

Except that’s not the only negative comment he made about Jimmy.

Agreed…he stated his 7-18 from the field was not good. Upset with Cole at 3-12.

There’s a very limited number of tweaks you can make with this roster. People calling for Buddy to come off the bench are foolish.

I was at the game last night and didn’t hear any boos….not saying they didn’t happen but I didn’t hear any. I really felt the crowd wanted to get loud but every time we started making some noise uVa would score and shut us up.

Yup. There's plenty be annoyed about, but there were multiple criticisms of Jimmy in that press conference, including him taking the hook shot too deep, his FT shooting, and numerous references to his poor shooting percentage.

i think if benny and symir got buddy minutes they would average double figures
Maybe not...
20220102_155546.jpg

Do the fans here really turn on the coach? Or do they just turn the channel.

For me it was the latter. He's the coach until he doesn't want to be anymore. I've accepted that. So I watched some of the game, some of the Rose Bowl, some of Cobra Kai season 4. Our games just don't hold my interest, and I don't even get upset when we lose.
Me too

it has been eroded for sometime. the program has suffered. he is out of touch at this point. benny and symir need to be starting with cole and buddy off the bench. the defense is horrific. imho we have nothing to lose
It’s this kind of post that people use to discredit legit criticisms

In fact .. I think it may be a plant by a die hard supporter

g
Coach can put me in I can guard shoot dribble pass jump almost dunk. I mean what else do you need?
guard??? where r other teams beating us????
Start two guys who can't score and are reluctant shooters. It will be magic.
i wonder why they are reluctant. just keep doing what we r doing--that will solve everything

If you watch the games closely on defense our defense is decent especially inside when our center stays home. When the center sprints to the wing we never have the weak side forward correctly positioned and so we give up easy points (or rebounds and points) every time the center sprints out. Why they forwards are hedging so high I cannot comprehend.

And our ball “screen” offense is a complete joke.

It’s probably time
The forward hedges that far because our guards can’t cover the wings independently. They need so much help it’s beyond ridiculous.

It’s a chain reaction from there. It all starts with not having good guard defense.

Look we just aren't very good and we aren't going to magically get better.

Our coach isn't good anymore
Our offense is hot garbage
Our defense is hot garbage
Our recruiting is hot garbage
Our player development is hot garbage

If anyone looks at the product on this court and thinks it is OK then you are just holding on to the memories of the glory years. Our program is in serious need of a jump-start ASAP and that jump-start has to come from an outside hire no way around it. We are stale. It is what it is until JW has enough stones to fire JB because I doubt he will walk on his own anytime soon.

Based on what? Neither has shown any ability to score. They have some other skills they can develop this year, but I cannot imagine scoring from either.
recent improvements from both players.

at the beginning of season? no. now? I think so.

To suggest relegating someone to be a bench reserve that had 27 points, 5 assists, while shooting a stellar 5-11 from three and 8-9 from the line (after scoring 50 points and shooting 6-12 from three in the 2 prior games), may be one of the dumbest suggestions I have seen on here.
Completely agree, however Joe Girard should emphatically be coming off the bench As a 2 guard. KR ship has sailed, however if JB gave one tenth as much leeway and coaching up as BB and Joe to KR as well as now Symir and so many others in the past we would be so further advanced. It is my belief that his coaching And refusal to adapt is going to exponentially tarnish his late Legacy. Especially having two amazing kids on his team. I mean look at them they seem like such goodhearted human beings as well as very good basketball player's. However significant defensive lapses primarily at the top of the zone concerning Buddy as well as obviously Joe. I find it extremely disheartening that he never says a word and Deflects as it is other people's problems and yanks Jesse from a game as well as occasionally Cole. Then we do want to talk about missed free throws, what about huge defensive lapses. And I am not talking about Jimmy Junior. What a competitor even on the defensive and. It is the top of your zone JB. It does not take a basketball genius to realize we used to be a efficiency leader in relation to three-point feel goal percentage defense. I believe Joe could be the best 6 man in the history of Syracuse University basketball from a college production standpoint. He just needs a point guard to help him. He is not going to be able to cover the top of the zone at the three-point line with the way college offenses run today. I think Buddy is a tremendous college player, what a fighter. However instinctually it seems hard for him to compete at the top of the zone as well. It is hard to not get too personal because I am a lifelong fan and alumnus, it is however much easier for me to root for Coach Dino Babers because of his disposition and kindness versus rooting for JB Simply because of his disposition. That is just me. He cannot be told in my opinion what to do if others tell him he will dig in deeper, very hard to watch. He speaks in absolute's with very minimal inspiration UNLESS you perform. Where is the vision, I would ask him that may be he would read this and change some of his decisions and dispositions. I would also ask the same of myself as my decisions affect other people. Maybe we both could grow in character. I so would like to do that. Definitely a beautiful family that is for sure. Go Cuse.

The forward hedges that far because our guards can’t cover the wings independently. They need so much help it’s beyond ridiculous.

It’s a chain reaction from there. It all starts with not having good guard defense.
The strong side guard is responsible for on ball pressure. The strong side F plays up to challenge the wing jumper (next pass from the man the G is pressing). It's part of what makes JB's 2-3 unique - the amount of ground that Fs are required to cover. It's the pass from that high wing, or from the top to the corner, that has the 5 rotating all the way out to the corner on a "closeout." That's the nearly impossible ask, IMO. JB did not always run that rotation that way - the Fs would rotate to the corner. Makes more sense.

Teams were overloading the strong side when we made F rotations to the corners, which created different coverage problems at the short post. The 5 to the corner was the tweak and it was very unique. I have never seen anyone else attempt that rotation in all my years of coaching. The problem now is that other teams exploit the 5 flying out (those are not close-outs BTW, they are run at/run by). Teams are letting Jesse fly by, or pump faking, or just beating him off the dribble as he runs out of control at them. Now it's 5 on 4, and the 4 usually lack the foot speed to make the rotations while the 5 recovers.

We’ve been pushing the forwards up at times since at least 2015 if not earlier. There’s reasons we do it having nothing to do with guards not being able to guard the wings independently.

They've definitely improved, but not in scoring.
disagree. benny just had 6 points in 17 minutes in a game this week...as the 5th option in the offense.

if he was starting and got the ball...he could easily get 10 imo

We’ve been pushing the forwards up at times since at least 2015 if not earlier. There’s reasons we do it having nothing to do with guards not being able to guard the wings independently.
Not this pronounced, and if it was it was due to a situational adjustment.

Last year, we had a very average defense (77th in KenPom efficiency) because our guards were terrible. Everything else was fine.

This year, our guards are still terrible and our forwards might be worse. The efficiency is currently ranked 186th and falling. I expect it to get worse throughout the year.

FUlly agree on all points. JB has been running the F high since he went full time zone.

Last year, we had a very average defense (77th in KenPom efficiency) because our guards were terrible. Everything else was fine.

This year, our guards are still terrible and our forwards might be worse. The efficiency is currently ranked 186th and falling. I expect it to get worse throughout the year.
1B623536-E458-4CB6-B1A0-2797EB54F2CC.jpeg

9C3C5DC9-FFA4-41CE-B267-8E86E8F20BD1.jpeg

To me, with the exception of Benny (I am still a Beeny fan), the Fs seem to know where they need to be rotation-wise, they just aren't quick enough to be effective consistently. The Gs need to be much more active. They should never have their hands down, let alone be standing still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom