The fans are starting to turn | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The fans are starting to turn

How many of those empty seats are long time STHs mailing their checks in... expecting that things will turn around eventually because they are afraid someone else will grab their spot?

I feel like we've been having this same discussion for several years... and COVID has been the perfect distraction and excuse.

How many of those empty seats are long time STHs mailing their checks in... expecting that things will turn around eventually because they are afraid someone else will grab their spot?

I feel like we've been having this same discussion for several years... and COVID has been the perfect distraction and excuse.

None that I know of and I know dozens of STHs. They either go or if they don’t, it’s for COVID reasons. I’d say it’s more the casual fan that doesn’t go because of team performance.

Maybe(I do not think so) but we would lose every game.
Do not misunderstand me, I am not satisfied with our starters or their play. However playing the two you suggest for forty minutes would not be an improvement.
Benny has the athleticism but does not know how to properly use that.
well it would set the team up better for next year and wouldnt make a huge difference for this season imo...

and i think it would give the team a better chance of winning acc tourney this year...bc a few months of those minutes and they would both be different players by then.

Here is how bad it is for me...i don’t know when next game is or who we are playing. And I had season tix for 30 years. It’s been getting worse every year over the past several.
Game to game used to get me through the winter. I can't imagine going to most games for 30 years and then losing interest. I hope we get some excitement back in the program again for our fans.

it has been eroded for sometime. the program has suffered. he is out of touch at this point. benny and symir need to be starting with cole and buddy off the bench. the defense is horrific. imho we have nothing to lose

It's stupid comments like "Buddy should be benched" getting a bunch of likes that makes reading this board difficult lately.

It's stupid comments like "Buddy should be benched" getting a bunch of likes that makes reading this board difficult lately.
Yeah, he's our best scorer. Buddy should be the 2nd or 3rd option on our team, but it's not his fault that his dad hasn't landed a stud to allow him to be the complement player he would be best at. Imagine him with a John Wallace, Billy Owens, or Carmelo type that could be the primary focus of the defense along with a true point guard that could get in the lane and distribute while he spotted up and waited for kickouts off of drives or when a post up passed out of double teams. He'd be a better version of Jason Cipolla.

Last edited:
I used to be bummed after a Cuse loss. This year I still tune in and will watch the games but it doesn't elicit the same emotions as it did in the past. The program is losing steam. Hope it can turn around in the off-season. Usually I see the team improving as the season goes on but the issues on this team is too much to overcome.

Yeah, he's out best scorer. Buddy should be the 2nd or 3rd option on our team, but it's not his fault that his dad hasn't landed a stud to allow him to be the complement player he would be best at. Imagine him with a John Wallace, Billy Owens, or Carmelo type that could be the primary focus of the defense along with a true point guard that could get in the lane and distribute while he spotted up and waited for kickouts off of drives or when a post up passed out of double teams. He'd be a better version of Jason Cipolla.
Yeah, I have felt this way since 2019, there are a couple of guys starting, that on good SU teams are guys 6-8 or 9 in the rotation

well it would set the team up better for next year and wouldnt make a huge difference for this season imo...

and i think it would give the team a better chance of winning acc tourney this year...bc a few months of those minutes and they would both be different players by then.
Have you paid any attention to Bennie, he will not be ready this season no matter how much time he gets. Great athlete but not great basketball player this season.
Torrence can help us but does not in anyway solve our point problem. He may be better than Joe but then Joe would have to play the 2, which might actually help Joe, but then where do you put Buddy the three but then where does Cole play, and so it goes.
This team has a basic structure problem that will not be solved simply by giving more minutes to Benny and Torrence.

Game to game used to get me through the winter. I can't imagine going to most games for 30 years and then losing interest. I hope we get some excitement back in the program again for our fans.
Believe me i’m having a hard time with this. I went to school in late 80’s/early 90’s and fell in love with that brand of basketball. Ally-oops, dunks, making lay ups regularly.

I don’t know what i’m watching now. I feel like lay ups are a crap shoot since Devo and even then he was the only one I could rely on to make a shot when driving the lane.

To be clear, this is me problem. Not forcing my views on anyone. Part of this is getting older, kids getting older different priorities. But I don’t derive as much pleasure from watching the Game as I once did.

To be fair, most of the people reacting to that post weren't agreeing with it, but your point about the board is well taken. There's a lot of garbage here now.

To be fair, most of the people reacting to that post weren't agreeing with it, but your point about the board is well taken. There's a lot of garbage here now.

There was a lot of garbage for teams that won 25+ games a year and had high tournament seeds.

There was a lot of garbage for teams that won 25+ games a year and had high tournament seeds.
True.

Agreed…he stated his 7-18 from the field was not good. Upset with Cole at 3-12.

There’s a very limited number of tweaks you can make with this roster. People calling for Buddy to come off the bench are idiots

I was at the game last night and didn’t hear any boos….not saying they didn’t happen but I didn’t hear any. I really felt the crowd wanted to get loud but every time we started making some noise uVa would score and shut us up.
FIFY

All these threads remind of the guys meeting at the Barber shop in Hoosiers! Lol
ross2.png

Believe me i’m having a hard time with this. I went to school in late 80’s/early 90’s and fell in love with that brand of basketball. Ally-oops, dunks, making lay ups regularly.

I don’t know what i’m watching now. I feel like lay ups are a crap shoot since Devo and even then he was the only one I could rely on to make a shot when driving the lane.

To be clear, this is me problem. Not forcing my views on anyone. Part of this is getting older, kids getting older different priorities. But I don’t derive as much pleasure from watching the Game as I once did.
We grew up with Coleman Owens and Douglas. Pretty easy to be groomed into fanhood. Good luck if you have young “fans” with the current roster. Almost a hopeless challenge if we as adults struggle just to watch the games now. Trying to get them interested in the sport in other ways and pray that the program can be rescued soon. And if too much time passes…

There's not much that can be done to salvage this season because there isn't much to work with and there is no major minutes worthy talent off the 3 man bench. It's only going to get worse next season when the 2 Boeheims depart. Unless JB can bring in 2 or 3 accomplished starters via the transfer portal we will be relying on freshmen who are not high level recruits. They may develop into nice players eventually but don't look for any of them (except maybe Bunch) to actually provide a lot in their first season. This could get very ugly.

None that I know of and I know dozens of STHs. They either go or if they don’t, it’s for COVID reasons. I’d say it’s more the casual fan that doesn’t go because of team performance.
There is a very large group of us when the Cuse was playing home or away we would not miss a game.
Life long friendships and marriages were built through the love of SU Basketball. Some are members of this board. Fans are leaving

Last edited:
There is large group of us when the Cuse was playing home or away we would not miss a game.
Life long friendships and marriages were built through the love of SU Basketball. Some are members of this board. Fans are leaving
Maybe even more important, we are losing generations of fans for the future. We shouldn’t be looking for a status quo hire following JB. I think JW understands that he needs to move Syracuse basketball in to the future.

Maybe even more important, we are losing generations of fans for the future. We shouldn’t be looking for a status quo hire following JB. I think JW understands that he needs to move Syracuse basketball in to the future.
There is nothing like walking into a bar in the opposing teams city, and see orange everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom