The Game Has Changed - We Haven't | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Game Has Changed - We Haven't

It hasn’t been as bad as you think in recent years, though there were two really bad seasons. Our KenPom offensive efficiency has been top 50 in three different seasons since joining the ACC. 2014 (28th), 2016 (50th), and 2017 (30th). Now 2015 and 2018 were both sub-100, so that’s not good. But let’s stick to the numbers. And PPG is not as helpful or telling stat because it doesn’t adjust for pace of play/number of possessions. You have to look at efficiency.

Actually, Floor % is more useful at charting this. Unfortunately none of our OGoggled friends and colleagues here ever feel like discussing this. This is where you can factor in how our pace/tempo has been plummeting. The ratio of Scoring Possessions VS Total Possessions.

2014: 127
2015: 179
2016: 62
2017: 159
Current: 140

I was at both games in the Garden. UConn, much as I hate to say it (or watch it) was out of their minds the whole game. It was their game of the year. Had they not thrown in everything they chucked up Cobb would have done nothing. They got crushed in the final, came down to the level they'll likely play at all year. Oregon's zone was very good. No one is going to handle Bol. He's a gifted athlete and the rare player who dominates the game quietly on both ends. Not too many of those around.

Chewy and Sidibe kill our offensive flow, no matter how you cook up an offensive scheme, they just get in the way and badly so. It's one of the reason we had so many shots blocked in both games. Marek is effective when he's not noticed. Nothing wrong with that except that he can't create off the bounce, which is a big part of JB's offense. That makes Frank's absence even more problematic on both sides of the ball. When he returns, the chances are high that JB will go with five playmakers on the floor, Jay Wright style, now that Carey has shown he's a player. Then you'll see some offensive flow, floor spacing, activity and speed. JB is a one-on-one offense coach, he's got the guys this year to do it, it's just a matter of getting them on the floor at the same time. In his presser after Oregon, he pretty much said so -- had Frank been in there he would have gone with Carey at the off guard and moved Battle up front. Hughes stays on the court and so does Brissett. Rebounding will be a big problem but it's not like it isn't already. It's the bigs that make the offense so stagnant, that was pretty obvious in NY.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why there's much debate that our offense has been largely awful for a while now.

I know points per game is a blunt metric and there are others that are better for comparative purposes. Still, if you rank our PPG for each of the 42 years of the Boeheim era, the bottom five have all occurred in the past six years, with last season being the all-time worst.

Maybe the college game is lower scoring now than it used to be. Maybe we're not as bad as that rank seems relatively speaking. But that sure appears to be lousy to me.

Syracuse Orange Index | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Bottom Ten (1976-77 to 2017-18)
Season: SU PPG
2017-18: 66.6
2014-15: 67.6
2013-14: 68.0
2015-16: 70.0
2012-13: 70.4
1997-98: 70.9
2001-02: 72.3
1998-99: 72.3
2005-06: 72.4
2000-01: 72.8

Bol is 7'3" with toothpick arms and bird legs and he's over the top skilled on both ends of the court. Granted he's one in a million or more but just sayin.

It’s amazing how our offense will be fine if we make shots. You can move and screen all day long, but if you can’t make shots it won’t matter.

Riiight. Nothing is easy. Barely anything at the rim. Not a lot of space or separation anywhere (vs M2M) and they aren’t good jump shooters to begin with.

I'm not sure how the offense is getting criticized when there is no offense.
We have no PG at this time to settle the floor and get the others involved the way they need to in whatever sets are called for. Right now it's simply a free for all one on one show. Closer to a pickup game than anything resembling a top 20 team.
Carey has done very well especially for a freshman. But he is not a PG or if he is there is a new standard for assists as he only had a grand total of one for both games.
Frank is going to make a difference. Getting everyone to play the position they should in some kind of rhythm will bring out the best we've been looking for.

I think the offense would be fine if we ran a system with off ball screens, double screens, etc. The high pick and roll with a 5 who can't dribble, catch or finish isn't a real threat. Neither is everyone standing around the perimeter moving slightly side to side as the ball gets passed around. If your shooters are challenged or struggling, you have to do something to open up some shots in the paint that aren't dribble drives into a double team.
We have some offensive talent, we're just not putting guys in position to succeed.

I think the offense would be fine if we ran a system with off ball screens, double screens, etc. The high pick and roll with a 5 who can't dribble, catch or finish isn't a real threat. Neither is everyone standing around the perimeter moving slightly side to side as the ball gets passed around. If your shooters are challenged or struggling, you have to do something to open up some shots in the paint that aren't dribble drives into a double team.
We have some offensive talent, we're just not putting guys in position to succeed.

Lots of merit here. Gotta help scheme these players open like what you mentioned in the first couple of sentences. Even with Frank lots of these woes would be occurring. Somehow we held on in those Tourney games despite those woes which masked a lot of problems. Can’t expect to win those kinds of games scoring in 50s. Also, we have good athletes out there but not some elite athletes and great quickness in general out there. Length sure but not the best ballhandlers and passers. In addition they are all streaky at best shooters. The coaches have to do better, period. If JB isn’t happy with the Centers and their lack of physicality then stop bringing in raw beanpoles!!

Last edited:
Bol is 7'3" with toothpick arms and bird legs and he's over the top skilled on both ends of the court. Granted he's one in a million or more but just sayin.
not only Bol - I thought Wooten was better than anyone we had too. He left some NBA guys in attendance with a notebook full.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom