The head coach's thinking for 22-23 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The head coach's thinking for 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
A LOT of variables there.

Let's say next year's starting 5 is Edwards, Mintz, Girard, Williams, Bunch. For argument's sake.

Let's say Edwards has a big year. He's going to the NBA.

Girard will likely leave as a graduate.

Mintz could be one-and-done if he has the year people on this board project him to.

That's three starters gone. Not to mention Benny Williams, who could also have a productive year and leave. Or he could have a non productive year and leave. Who's to say?

By playing a young team, the only guarantee you have is you're putting an inexperienced team out there in 2021-22. That's it. With the transfer portal and all of the other options kids have, coaches are foolish if they are "setting up for next year".
Mintz is not a one and done. What did anyone see in Benny last year that has any semblance of an NBA player?

Mintz is not a one and done. What did anyone see in Benny last year that has any semblance of an NBA player?
Regardless of what you think, I'm presenting a scenario that could happen.

Mintz could get 30+ minutes per game, and could put up numbers. Tyler Ennis is a comp - do you think he was a one and done?

And Williams was a Top 25 recruit. Let's say he's unhappy with his experience after two years. I'd also say guys with lesser stats have gone pro. Oshae Brissett averaged 12 pts., 7 rebs. per game and left after his second year.

All of this to say anything can happen. You can't go into a season basically saying "yeah let's get these guys experience and we'll be really good next year". That's punting on a full year, and there's absolutely no guarantee the following year will have the same roster construct. It's a fool's errand. And we've never done that before.

You said it differently than I did, but agree 100%.

He's never done it this way - so what has changed? And there's no guarantee the following year will work out as planned, and all return to create your "experienced" group. Too many variables.

Foolish plan if you ask me. IMO, need two transfers - a 30+ mpg forward and a 10 mpg center - if you really are interested in competing against the majority of the ACC.

Not sure anything has changed as I’m not sure we can say he never has or hasn’t done it this way. Have we ever had a 6 man freshman class and an immediately eligible transfer portal? There’s nothing to compare it to.

Not sure anything has changed as I’m not sure we can say he never has or hasn’t done it this way. Have we ever had a 6 man freshman class and an immediately eligible transfer portal? There’s nothing to compare it to.
He has never gone into a year with this much inexperience and done literally nothing to address that positional inexperience.

2016-17 we added two guys as one-year rentals because we didn't have the experience, instead of adding more freshmen. It gave us a fighting chance.

Geno Thorpe also was added - didn't work, but the staff saw a hole in the roster. He's tried to add others - kid from Columbia was mentioned. Heck, Jimmy Boeheim and Cole Swider just last year were brought in, in spite of the signing of Benny Williams - who is rated higher than all of the guys we signed.

Yet there are no signs of any movement on any front to address a glaring hole in the roster. I'll eat crow if they add anyone of significance but I'm not holding my breath.

I would be very wary of saying any top 40 type kid that is going to given the keys to drive the car won't have the opportunity to be drafted.

He absolutely my not. He may need three years for all I know. But it is very much a non-zero chance at the moment.

And the other thing is that there is zero chance all six guys are back next year. First, JB is not playing all six of them major minutes. Second, just by the sheer numbers, a few won't be happy.

We'll be lucky if we have 4 of the 6 back for sophomore year. And I think that is a stretch.
Exactly. Kadary, Quincy, Braswell, and Frank all got legit playing time and they all still transferred.

JB don’t like losing now since Chaz transferring we gonna get a starting F to go with Benny and a backup center

JB don’t like losing now since Chaz transferring we gonna get a starting F to go with Benny and a backup center
We will see. Hope you’re right but have seen zero indication this is happening.

JB doesn’t want that type of player. He wants to give the freshman forwards breathing room. Whether it’s a senior transfer or a freshman (or anyone in between) taking Swider’s spot, it’s going to take until at least January to become fully acclimated with our defense. Why not give those minutes to someone who’ll be around for awhile?

For the last couple of years, you’ve been talking about giving the freshmen more minutes, if not starting them. Now it’s happening and it’s not good enough?

We have four guys coming in who can play forward. They’ll be the fifth option on offense. It’s not outside the realm of possibility for one or two of these guys to be serviceable.
I would love to be wrong.

For the last couple years, I wanted the freshmen to play when the older guys in front of them stunk.

Goes without saying that I want us to get a transfer who doesn’t stink.

Does JB see this as a 25 win team, top 4 in the league, second weekend of the tourney type team? If he does….great! Hope he’s right.

If he doesn’t, then what are we doing here?

Frank was clearly not ACC level starter and was even a subpar backup. Am I missing something? Having no backup is bad, but please do not act like he is some great player. Last season was a big struggle and now he might be stepping onto a Georgia team that has to totally reset their program.
Yes, you’re missing something.

I think Mintz has a better chance of being one and done than not being one and done. The kid is extremely efficient and doesn't seem to have any flaws.

now we have a top 15 class.

Hear this alot but we have a top 15 class due to quantity, not quality. It's not like we are bringing in a bunch of 5-star 1-and-done players. We are ranked that high because we are bringing in so many kids. For example, if you look at the recruiting rankings and schools ranked 10-50 (in which we are included) there are only 2 schools that are bringing in 6 kids (us and Florida State). If you look at our average we will be towards the back half of the top 50. Don't get me wrong it is a solid class but it isn't anything to write home about and certainly not our best recruiting class ever like JB says.

Hear this alot but we have a top 15 class due to quantity, not quality. It's not like we are bringing in a bunch of 5-star 1-and-done players. We are ranked that high because we are bringing in so many kids. For example, if you look at the recruiting rankings and schools ranked 10-50 (in which we are included) there are only 2 schools that are bringing in 6 kids (us and Florida State). If you look at our average we will be towards the back half of the top 50. Don't get me wrong it is a solid class but it isn't anything to write home about and certainly not our best recruiting class ever like JB says.

Jim said it is his best class ever.

“Top 15 class” is the most ridiculous take ever.

“Jim says things.”

Would you like me to go down the list?
I know he does but hes all in on this class. Best ever since 76 is a heck of a statement.

Except quantity does and should play a role. It’s not like it’s 6 NR kids. The more solid kids you have the better chance you have of some of them being successful. Rivals had us at 7. Why do the rankings take into account quantity? Because it’s a positive.

Except quantity does and should play a role. It’s not like it’s 6 NR kids. The more solid kids you have the better chance you have of some of them being successful. Rivals had us at 7. Why do the rankings take into account quantity? Because it’s a positive.

It use to be a positive now with the transfer rules I am not sure it is positive. I would rather have a couple of highly ranked players that I give minutes to and fill in the rest of the roster with portal players then big classes. Chances are good that all 6 of these guys will not be on the team past their freshman year.

Classes like these were a good way to build a program. Gives you a nice foundation when they are Juniors. Have them mature together and add a couple of big pieces as the years go on but the times have changed. I don't think this strategy will work anymore but we will see.

I know he does but hes all in on this class. Best ever since 76 is a heck of a statement.
It’s a heck of a statement, I agree.

But given the last 8 years, and looking at the rankings and the tape of these players, you actually believe him?

I would take two 5-star kids over 5 3-star kids. Yet by your math, the 5 3-stars are a better class. In football, yes. In basketball, no way.

I have zero idea if the staff is done trying to bring other players in for next season but Joe Jesse Benny are a solid core to build on. Its certainly going to be a wild ride if he truly rides without any transfer help

It’s a heck of a statement, I agree.

But given the last 8 years, and looking at the rankings and the tape of these players, you actually believe him?
I believe that Jim believes what he says. Do i agree that this is his best class. No i dont given jim has had numerous classes with superstars.
Classes with kids like Pearl Owens Melo DC are hard to argue are lower than this class. Still Jim recruited them all and hes adamant this is his best.
I like Mintz and Copeland the best. The other kids are good and look to have talent but none of them jump off the page like a Pearl or Melo.
Lets hope the Old Dog knows what hes talking about. Time will tell.

I believe that Jim believes what he says. Do i agree that this is his best class. No i dont given jim has had numerous classes with superstars.
Classes with kids like Pearl Owens Melo DC are hard to argue are lower than this class. Still Jim recruited them all and hes adamant this is his best.
I like Mintz and Copeland the best. The other kids are good and look to have talent but none of them jump off the page like a Pearl or Melo.
Lets hope the Old Dog knows what hes talking about. Time will tell.
I’d like for a media member to ask him again to state this is his best ever class and press him on it. I need some clarity on why. Because it’s not even close on paper, by any metric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom