The head coach's thinking for 22-23 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The head coach's thinking for 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Mballa from UB has been mentioned but Manny Bates from NC St and Alex Tchikou from Alabama, I believe are still available

Grabbing either of those is better than an unused scholarship

Does someone need to tell Jim its ok to use all your scholarships

if only it was as simple as saying I want the player and they say ok I will join the team regardless of being a backup. Any of those three you mentioned are in the portal looking for guarantees. Do you want to start one over Jesse or maybe roll the dice with one of these guys at PF?

I agree depth would be nice but again I don't think these guys are viewing themselves as less than 25 minute per game players . Let's see where they end up.

That is your opinion. Not a fact.

Can you answer the questions?

Do you believe that JB has done a good job coaching the last 3 or 4 years?

Do you believe that JB recruits as hard today as he did in the past?

And the last one that I'll add myself... is the record the last 8 years (8 years!) acceptable to you?

You have a head time counting? It’s a fact not an opinion.

To the silly questions because I don’t need to cry 10 times a day every day like some, I’d say yes and no, yes and no, and no.

Which point did you disagree with? That most if not all teams have hopes of something or that we had more roster space last year?
I actually didn't disagree with any of your points. I just was stating that you are a strong supporter of Jim which i respect. I am as well but i do criticize him when i believe he is wrong. I'm much more supportive of the school than any coach or player. I like your post and I like the back and forth that we all have on this board. As you should know by now I sometimes post just to stir the pot as this is a great community and i love seeing the reactions from others. Thanks for making this a great site and for all of the knowledge and information that you provide everyone with.

You have a head time counting? It’s a fact not an opinion.

To the silly questions because I don’t need to cry 10 times a day every day like some, I’d say yes and no, yes and no, and no.
"We don’t necessarily this year." Necessarily, by definition, means inevitability - certain truth. For you to say "don't necessarily," you're saying that it is not a fact! I really do not understand how this is debatable.

Who is crying? I'm actually more angry and I think I speak for many when I say it is all coming to a head whether you want to believe it or not.

Lastly, "Yes and no" isn't an answer.

Last edited:
"We don’t necessarily this year." Necessarily, by definition, means inevitability - certain truth. For you to say "don't necessarily," you're saying that it is not a fact! I really do not understand how this is debatable.

Who is crying? I'm actually more angry and I think I speak for many when I say it is all coming to a head whether you want to believe it or not.

"Yes and no" isn't an answer.
This all brings back memories of Pat on Saturday night live.

Lastly, "Yes and no" isn't an answer.

Good job not including the sentence prior or after. And necessarily right now because until May 1, kids could still leave. Ask me again on May 2nd and I’ll use a different word for you. The whole point has gone right over your head and you’re playing word games instead.

Good job not including the sentence prior or after. And necessarily right now because until May 1, kids could still leave. Ask me again on May 2nd and I’ll use a different word for you. The whole point has gone right over your head and you’re playing word games instead.
Lastly, "Yes or No" is not an answer.

You're playing games too.

Lastly, "Yes or No" is not an answer.

You're playing games too.

Well both those questions has a yes and no component. Everything’s not always as black and white as some want.

When JB said "BEST in years" it could mean a lot of things.

It could be BEST in terms of upside, which means they are not that good now, but they could surprise him eventually...and because there are six total, the sum of all the upside potential is greatest, and thus "BEST".

If they do not perform, then they are "NOT READY".

Jimmy is certainly not free of criticism, especially given the recent trajectory but how many years have we been knocking him for lackluster recruiting classes and now we have a top 15 class. Or how many comments have there been about losing guys who we felt deserved minutes and now they’ll get those minutes.

He’ll have arguably the front runner for the ACC’s most improved player returning plus a 3 year starter. A senior who was playing his best basketball at the end of the year and a borderline 5 star recruit who has a year in the system and will play more free now that he won’t be yanked on his first mistake.

Now I think it’s a mistake to not bring in a vet forward or backup center. But I think it’s premature to write off the year or assume that all the freshman outside of mintz won’t be able to contribute.
The reason it’s a top 15 class is quantity not quality. I obviously hope they are better than their ratings but it doesn’t seem like, Mintz, aside, there is a difference maker as a frosh.

The reason it’s a top 15 class is quantity not quality. I obviously hope they are better than their ratings but it doesn’t seem like, Mintz, aside, there is a difference maker as a frosh.
Which isn’t even a bad thing if we get Edwards to continue what he was doing, Joe becomes more efficient and Benny can make a serious leap. Swider back would’ve done wonders for the squad. I’m high on the team as we do have legitimate depth (would like to see a backup center come in). If we can have one of the freshman outside of Judah break out or even one and a half of them, we have 20 wins in the regular season which is acceptable to me after last season.

A half moon cookie is black and white.
And in fly over country they are about the size of a silver dollar. I tell you, it is just criminal.

We'll see I like the guards and center but am very concerned at the wing. 1 very good transfer to play the wing and not make us dependent on Benny Williams putting it together when hes got more than a ways to go will change my outlook.

Cupcake city OOC schedule next year we should make it to January/ACC ball with everything to play for and a good record regardless.

One positive for the upcoming season is that with so many new pieces we will see growth from the beginning to the end. If we see a lot of growth then it will be a nice season. If we see only moderate growth then it could be a struggle.

Only if he plays enough guys to develop options and some depth. So we don't have to over-count on young guys producing. Spread it around.

It’s so depressing to watch other programs like Creighton (!!) add impact transfers and the pundits declare that they can be elite next season. meanwhile we’re running out a bunch of freshman and just two experienced, proven players. How did our program get to this sorry state of affairs? We only really needed to add one impact transfer forward to have a chance at a decent season. JB better be right about Benny and that another 1-2 of these freshman beyond Mintz will be instant-impact players.
Creighton was good before, but Baylor Scheierman can make the Bluejays elite

It’s so depressing to watch other programs like Creighton (!!) add impact transfers and the pundits declare that they can be elite next season. meanwhile we’re running out a bunch of freshman and just two experienced, proven players. How did our program get to this sorry state of affairs? We only really needed to add one impact transfer forward to have a chance at a decent season. JB better be right about Benny and that another 1-2 of these freshman beyond Mintz will be instant-impact players.
Creighton was good before, but Baylor Scheierman can make the Bluejays elite
The roster we have is the roster JB wants. That’s the answer.

Which isn’t even a bad thing if we get Edwards to continue what he was doing, Joe becomes more efficient and Benny can make a serious leap. Swider back would’ve done wonders for the squad. I’m high on the team as we do have legitimate depth (would like to see a backup center come in). If we can have one of the freshman outside of Judah break out or even one and a half of them, we have 20 wins in the regular season which is acceptable to me after last season.

-The staff is confident Sy will have a really good year at PG. He is the most under valued player on the roster.
-JG should have his best year since he is playing off ball. He played much better with Sy as PG.
-Jessie can be a top ACC Center. His health and foul trouble are crucial. That's 3 core experienced players that you can expect 42pts/game from. Need 30pts from everyone else.
-Defense will be much better and create transition points.
-Lineup of: Sy, JG, Mintz, Benny, Jessie. Seems very formidable. Issues will be JB not playing it nearly enough and not giving it a chance to succeed defensively. He won't even figure it out until February.
-Starting lineup will have Bunch instead of Mintz/Sy. He only needs to 3 and D.
-We have the ability to press regularly but probably won't. Ability to actually play 2-3 but not with our best lineup. Curious if he would play a 1-3-1 instead of that 1-1-3?
-Curious how they will Switch in the man D. JG and maybe Edwards will pose issues doing any new school man Def.
-Obv keeping Swider would have been huge...

-Lineup of: Sy, JG, Mintz, Benny, Jessie. Seems very formidable. Issues will be JB not playing it nearly enough and not giving it a chance to succeed defensively. He won't even figure it out until February.
-

That lineup looks good offensively on paper. Lots of potential on that end. It wouldn’t work defensively in a 2-3 zone at all. And until I see us play man to man and not give up on it the first time an opponent gets back to back easy hoops, then I won’t believe it.

I think that lineup would have a very tough time rebounding in man to man too though, against a lot of teams. Those 3 guard Villanova teams usually have some 6’4, strong pit bulls at guards.

Hopefully Bunch can do now, what guys like Nichols and Southerland weren’t ready to do until year 3.

-The staff is confident Sy will have a really good year at PG. He is the most under valued player on the roster.
-JG should have his best year since he is playing off ball. He played much better with Sy as PG.
-Jessie can be a top ACC Center. His health and foul trouble are crucial. That's 3 core experienced players that you can expect 42pts/game from. Need 30pts from everyone else.
-Defense will be much better and create transition points.
-We have the ability to press regularly but probably won't. Ability to actually play 2-3 but not with our best lineup. Curious if he would play a 1-3-1 instead of that 1-1-3?
-Curious how they will Switch in the man D. JG and maybe Edwards will pose issues doing any new school man Def.
-Obv keeping Swider would have been huge...
All of this sounds great but it’s the same thing said about every player every year just with different names.

I’m not going to trash this squad as I think we’re heading in a good direction and I think we’ll win 20, but until we see these guys in action and on the court it’s a crap shoot.

Instead of defenses focusing on Buddy they’ll be on Joe, we had two post guys last year in Jimmy and Jesse, now we have one. This season really depends on how well Mintz and Benny do. One or two of these freshman have to step up as well. I think we will be better but there are so many variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom