The Jim Boeheim Show - before Drexel | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Drexel

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show will likely start out on Zoom and not be at a local restaurant. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

The early shows tend to be in a one hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. If they go back to the 2 hour format, I may split it up between the items directly related to the team, which I will post that night and the other stuff, which I will post the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

Before I ask this question, I’ll inform Coach Boeheim that my research shows that in his time as head coach, he’s had the following players from Section III:

Recruited players (15):
Buddy Boeheim, Jamesville-DeWitt 2018-21
Jimmy Boeheim, Jamesville-DeWitt 2021-22
DaJuan Coleman, Jamesville-DeWitt 2012-17
Matt Gorman, Watertown 2002-07
Marty Headd, Syracuse CBA 1977-81
Andy Rautins, Jamesville-DeWitt 2005-10
Matt Roe, Fayetteville-Manlius 1986-89
Danny Schayes, Jamesville-DeWitt 1977-81
Dale Shackleford, Notre Dame of Utica 1976-79
Lazarus Sims, Henninger 1992-96
Symir Torrence, Syracuse Academy of Science 2021-22
Brandon Triche, Jamesville-DeWitt 2009-13
Howard Triche, Corcoran 1983-87
Dayshawn Wright, Fowler 2004-05
Josh Wright, Utica Proctor 2004-08

Walk-ons (11):
Tyrone Albright, Corcoran 2002-03
Adrian Autry, Jr. Jamesville-DeWitt 2015-19
Danny Boyle, Herkimer 1978-79
Ryan Cahak, Fayetteville-Manlius 2005-08
Ken Davis, Utica Free Academy, (now combined with Utica Proctor) 1978-81
Evan Dourdas, Jamesville-DeWitt 2015-17
Gary Hall, Tully 2002-04
Chris Lavalle, West Genesee 2019-22
Jim May, Nottingham, Syracuse, NY 1993-96
Chris Timberlake, Syracuse CBA 1981-82
Josh Watson, Skaneateles 1998-99

“Coach, looking at your current recruited players, you’ve got 4 centers, 3 forwards and 3 guards That’s plenty of depth if everyone remains healthy and stays out of foul trouble. If we do have problems in those areas, what centers could help out at forward, what forwards could help out at guard, what guards could help out at forward?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

JB: “It was a good opener. Lafayette had lost some key guys. Our next opponent, Drexel, did not. They won their tournament last year and went to the NCAA tournament so that game will be more difficult. We had good movement. We missed some open threes. The younger guys aren’t used to getting back when they need to. The forwards have to get offensive rebounds, so the guards have to protect. We’ve been practicing that. We don’t even have them, (the scout team) take the ball back out -just let it go.”

Matt noted that “the Boeheim boys” scored the first 11 points of the game for SU. Jim: “Jimmy normally only takes 3-4 shots in our scrimmages. But he found open positions and made some smart plays. Cole will shoot it better but he got 12 rebounds. Buddy played well.” About the leopards: “Quinn didn’t really try to score against the zone. I think he would have against a man for man. That took the pressure off our bigs. We got pretty good defensive movement. We worked more on it than in past years due to the new guys.” He was amazed that Tyrone Perry played since he tore his ACL in April 1st. “He moved pretty well. It depends. I’ve seen players get back in 7-8 months.”

I called in my list and my question. He did say that he was talking just about the Syracuse area. I suggested that the 15 man section III roster could be molded into a pretty good team by the Coach.
As to the main question: “John Bol is really a forward. We could put Jimmy in at center in an emergency. Buddy could play small forward. Cole could play in the backcourt. We’ll be fine without injuries. It’s good to have two point guards. Jimmy could get back at the ‘2’ spot.” I asked if Benny could help out at guard. “No, Benny’s really a forward. He’s knew and he’s still trying to figure things out, trying to get his shot where it needs to be.”

Matt said the team seemed to have a lot of interchangeable parts. He also asked about the status of Bourama Sidibe. JB: “Bourama is a veteran and he finished his junior year as well as any center anywhere. He was getting double-double after double-double. He looked good in practice. We hope he will be back in four weeks. Frank and Jesse are getting better. We’ll have our ups and downs but this team has done whatever you can ask them to do. We now have 8 weeks in the summer so we have 16 weeks to prepare. We are so much farther along than we used to be. We play the top 8-9 guys together a lot.” (They went over the minutes from the box score) “Benny, Jimmy and Cole will get close to equal time.”

Douglas in Fayetteville thanks the coach and matt for all they’ve done in the community. He asked about “the speed of the game. The last couple of years we slowed it down. Last night, the players attacked. It was like what we were doing about 15 years ago.” JB: “Lafayette pushed it and we moved with them. We like to run. When we play Duke and North Carolina the score will be in the 80’s and 90’s because we both like to run. Some teams don’t play fast and you can’t make them play fast. You have to be able to win at either speed. When you make 3-4 threes in a row, it changes the game….This is a new team in terms of playing together. Cole, Jimmy and Benny are new and Jesse didn’t play much last year. Frank didn’t play at all.”

The Pistons are playing tonight so they discussed Jeremy Grant, who “has made himself into a complete NBA player. He’s a great athlete who left when he still had a lot of work to do. He’s really improved his shooting.”

They also discussed Felisha Legette-Jack, who will become the first SU women’s athlete to have her jersey retired at the Dome. “An extremely good player and coach. Fun to be around. Nobody better or more deserving to be up there.” Matt suggested that she might be back in a different capacity at a later date. JB didn’t respond.

Josh in Boulder asked “How do you coach a team that is really good and how do you coach a team that needs a lot of work?” Jim thought that was a great question. “You try to improve any team. You have two hours and 15 minutes a day to get them better. With a really good team, you can use more advanced ideas. With a bad team you are trying to get them to where they are pretty good. We are running more sets this year, trying to get really diverse. Every game is different, depending on the different styles of each team….If Cole Swider got off to a bad start in a game at Villanova, he didn’t play. It's a learning experience. Here he had time to recover. He learned graphically when he didn’t get back on defense.” (I’ll leave it to you to imagine what “learned graphically” meant.) “Jimmy didn’t get the ball inbounds. That’s easily correctable. Buddy worked an hour and a half today with Eric Devendorf. That’s why he is who he is.”

“Every team is a little different. It always helps to have good passers and good shooters. Twice Cole got into the air and went around his defender rather than taking a shot.” (A pretty good trick.) We have to get better working on getting back. Last year’s team was a dribble drive team. Robert, (Braswell) was a open space shooter….Now they all live together, three teammates in the same room and the rest of the team on the same floor. This will help Benny as the only freshman. And he’ll help the five guys who will come in next year.”

Jordan in Detroit asked who Jim’s personal role models were. “Dave Bing was my roommate, a great player and a great role model. He knew how to handle himself. My high school coach was a great role model and there have been other coaches as well. You need to surround yourself with good people. That’s why I’m really good friends with Adam Weitzman. He’s got me involved with a lot of things in the community.”

Someone from the Onondaga Nation wanted to know what sort of contacts there are between the team and the Nation: what do the player learn about the Onondagas and the Haudenosaunee? Jim said that “we have several African-American players on the team and they are aware of injustice and everybody’s aware of the need to do something, especially after last year. We do a golf tournament down there and try to get the players involved in the community.”

A girl at the restaurant named Adayabria said that she liked basketball and wondered if she should play the game. JB gave her an autograph and told her, “If you like it and it’s fun, you should play it.”

Someone else asked “In a critical situation, who would get the ball: Buddy or Benny”. Jim said that “You tend to go for the veteran player. But you have to be prepared to score at different positions. You have to have another option. We have guys who can score. If we move properly and can get people open we can get shots for people, even if they get defensive attention. “

Drexel, our next opponent, won their opened against somebody named Neumann, winning 103-74.
1636599460295.png

JB: “They have two All-Conference Players. They won their tourney and got to the NCAAs.” Matt said this will be the first time we’ve played them since we defeated them in the 1996 NCAAs, when they had Malik Rose. JB: “That was a tough game” (69-58)

Ew, I hate learning graphically (shudder)!

Drexel will be tough for us. A good early challenge.

Its too bad you don't provide much in the way of details in your posts...:p

Seriously, I love reading these boeheim show posts. Keep 'em coming!

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show will likely start out on Zoom and not be at a local restaurant. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

The early shows tend to be in a one hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. If they go back to the 2 hour format, I may split it up between the items directly related to the team, which I will post that night and the other stuff, which I will post the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

Before I ask this question, I’ll inform Coach Boeheim that my research shows that in his time as head coach, he’s had the following players from Section III:

Recruited players (15):
Buddy Boeheim, Jamesville-DeWitt 2018-21
Jimmy Boeheim, Jamesville-DeWitt 2021-22
DaJuan Coleman, Jamesville-DeWitt 2012-17
Matt Gorman, Watertown 2002-07
Marty Headd, Syracuse CBA 1977-81
Andy Rautins, Jamesville-DeWitt 2005-10
Matt Roe, Fayetteville-Manlius 1986-89
Danny Schayes, Jamesville-DeWitt 1977-81
Dale Shackleford, Notre Dame of Utica 1976-79
Lazarus Sims, Henninger 1992-96
Symir Torrence, Syracuse Academy of Science 2021-22
Brandon Triche, Jamesville-DeWitt 2009-13
Howard Triche, Corcoran 1983-87
Dayshawn Wright, Fowler 2004-05
Josh Wright, Utica Proctor 2004-08

Walk-ons (11):
Tyrone Albright, Corcoran 2002-03
Adrian Autry, Jr. Jamesville-DeWitt 2015-19
Danny Boyle, Herkimer 1978-79
Ryan Cahak, Fayetteville-Manlius 2005-08
Ken Davis, Utica Free Academy, (now combined with Utica Proctor) 1978-81
Evan Dourdas, Jamesville-DeWitt 2015-17
Gary Hall, Tully 2002-04
Chris Lavalle, West Genesee 2019-22
Jim May, Nottingham, Syracuse, NY 1993-96
Chris Timberlake, Syracuse CBA 1981-82
Josh Watson, Skaneateles 1998-99

“Coach, looking at your current recruited players, you’ve got 4 centers, 3 forwards and 3 guards That’s plenty of depth if everyone remains healthy and stays out of foul trouble. If we do have problems in those areas, what centers could help out at forward, what forwards could help out at guard, what guards could help out at forward?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

JB: “It was a good opener. Lafayette had lost some key guys. Our next opponent, Drexel, did not. They won their tournament last year and went to the NCAA tournament so that game will be more difficult. We had good movement. We missed some open threes. The younger guys aren’t used to getting back when they need to. The forwards have to get offensive rebounds, so the guards have to protect. We’ve been practicing that. We don’t even have them, (the scout team) take the ball back out -just let it go.”

Matt noted that “the Boeheim boys” scored the first 11 points of the game for SU. Jim: “Jimmy normally only takes 3-4 shots in our scrimmages. But he found open positions and made some smart plays. Cole will shoot it better but he got 12 rebounds. Buddy played well.” About the leopards: “Quinn didn’t really try to score against the zone. I think he would have against a man for man. That took the pressure off our bigs. We got pretty good defensive movement. We worked more on it than in past years due to the new guys.” He was amazed that Tyrone Perry played since he tore his ACL in April 1st. “He moved pretty well. It depends. I’ve seen players get back in 7-8 months.”

I called in my list and my question. He did say that he was talking just about the Syracuse area. I suggested that the 15 man section III roster could be molded into a pretty good team by the Coach.
As to the main question: “John Bol is really a forward. We could put Jimmy in at center in an emergency. Buddy could play small forward. Cole could play in the backcourt. We’ll be fine without injuries. It’s good to have two point guards. Jimmy could get back at the ‘2’ spot.” I asked if Benny could help out at guard. “No, Benny’s really a forward. He’s knew and he’s still trying to figure things out, trying to get his shot where it needs to be.”

Matt said the team seemed to have a lot of interchangeable parts. He also asked about the status of Bourama Sidibe. JB: “Bourama is a veteran and he finished his junior year as well as any center anywhere. He was getting double-double after double-double. He looked good in practice. We hope he will be back in four weeks. Frank and Jesse are getting better. We’ll have our ups and downs but this team has done whatever you can ask them to do. We now have 8 weeks in the summer so we have 16 weeks to prepare. We are so much farther along than we used to be. We play the top 8-9 guys together a lot.” (They went over the minutes from the box score) “Benny, Jimmy and Cole will get close to equal time.”

Douglas in Fayetteville thanks the coach and matt for all they’ve done in the community. He asked about “the speed of the game. The last couple of years we slowed it down. Last night, the players attacked. It was like what we were doing about 15 years ago.” JB: “Lafayette pushed it and we moved with them. We like to run. When we play Duke and North Carolina the score will be in the 80’s and 90’s because we both like to run. Some teams don’t play fast and you can’t make them play fast. You have to be able to win at either speed. When you make 3-4 threes in a row, it changes the game….This is a new team in terms of playing together. Cole, Jimmy and Benny are new and Jesse didn’t play much last year. Frank didn’t play at all.”

The Pistons are playing tonight so they discussed Jeremy Grant, who “has made himself into a complete NBA player. He’s a great athlete who left when he still had a lot of work to do. He’s really improved his shooting.”

They also discussed Felisha Legette-Jack, who will become the first SU women’s athlete to have her jersey retired at the Dome. “An extremely good player and coach. Fun to be around. Nobody better or more deserving to be up there.” Matt suggested that she might be back in a different capacity at a later date. JB didn’t respond.

Josh in Boulder asked “How do you coach a team that is really good and how do you coach a team that needs a lot of work?” Jim thought that was a great question. “You try to improve any team. You have two hours and 15 minutes a day to get them better. With a really good team, you can use more advanced ideas. With a bad team you are trying to get them to where they are pretty good. We are running more sets this year, trying to get really diverse. Every game is different, depending on the different styles of each team….If Cole Swider got off to a bad start in a game at Villanova, he didn’t play. It's a learning experience. Here he had time to recover. He learned graphically when he didn’t get back on defense.” (I’ll leave it to you to imagine what “learned graphically” meant.) “Jimmy didn’t get the ball inbounds. That’s easily correctable. Buddy worked an hour and a half today with Eric Devendorf. That’s why he is who he is.”

“Every team is a little different. It always helps to have good passers and good shooters. Twice Cole got into the air and went around his defender rather than taking a shot.” (A pretty good trick.) We have to get better working on getting back. Last year’s team was a dribble drive team. Robert, (Braswell) was a open space shooter….Now they all live together, three teammates in the same room and the rest of the team on the same floor. This will help Benny as the only freshman. And he’ll help the five guys who will come in next year.”

Jordan in Detroit asked who Jim’s personal role models were. “Dave Bing was my roommate, a great player and a great role model. He knew how to handle himself. My high school coach was a great role model and there have been other coaches as well. You need to surround yourself with good people. That’s why I’m really good friends with Adam Weitzman. He’s got me involved with a lot of things in the community.”

Someone from the Onondaga Nation wanted to know what sort of contacts there are between the team and the Nation: what do the player learn about the Onondagas and the Haudenosaunee? Jim said that “we have several African-American players on the team and they are aware of injustice and everybody’s aware of the need to do something, especially after last year. We do a golf tournament down there and try to get the players involved in the community.”

A girl at the restaurant named Adayabria said that she liked basketball and wondered if she should play the game. JB gave her an autograph and told her, “If you like it and it’s fun, you should play it.”

Someone else asked “In a critical situation, who would get the ball: Buddy or Benny”. Jim said that “You tend to go for the veteran player. But you have to be prepared to score at different positions. You have to have another option. We have guys who can score. If we move properly and can get people open we can get shots for people, even if they get defensive attention. “

Drexel, our next opponent, won their opened against somebody named Neumann, winning 103-74.
View attachment 210486

JB: “They have two All-Conference Players. They won their tourney and got to the NCAAs.” Matt said this will be the first time we’ve played them since we defeated them in the 1996 NCAAs, when they had Malik Rose. JB: “That was a tough game” (69-58)
SU lost to Drexel in the Dome in Dec. 2006.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom