The Jim Boeheim Show - before Miami (Part One) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Miami (Part One)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, I’d just like to pay tribute to the accomplishment of securing our 50th straight winning season. That’s a special achievement because that’s the longest streak in the country and the second longest in history, (UCLA 54 from 1949-2002). It unites all the coaches, players and fans who have contributed to the program over the last half century in one achievement. All the teams have been part of one team: Syracuse and there’s a real sense of it being a family of players that continue to bleed Orange. It’s gotten us through 50 Central New York winters and put this community on the map nationally.

I still have the little pamphlets that passed for SU’s Media Guide at the beginning of the streak. You and Bill Vesp were Roy Danforth’s assistants. Coach Vesp coached the freshman team to a 17-1 record, led by our future police chief, Dennis DuVal. You had coached the freshmen the year before and now were assigned to be the lead recruiter. This was the “Roy’s Runts + One team: our center, Bill Smith was 6-11. Point guard Tommy Green was 5-11. Shooting guard Greg “Kid” Kohls was 6-1. So was forward Mark Wadach, an amazing rebounder for his size. The other forward was Mike Lee, 6-3, who is less remembered than his younger brother Jimmy because of Jim’s 1975 shot against North Carolina but was more of an all-around player and one of the most under-rated players in SU history. I also remember Chuck Wichman, who make a spectacular lay-up to beat Niagara and send us to the NIT, a much more prestigious tournament then than now, (it was won by 13th ranked North Carolina with Charlie Scott, a team that went 26-6). Chuck did the same thing to a highly ranked Fordham the next year.

They were the ones who got it started and thanks to Elijah, Buddy, Marek, Joe, Bourama and the rest, it’s still going on today.“

Second Hour:

“Coach, I know you are focused on Miami but it’s the last show of the season and this is my last question so I’ll ask about next year. You figure to have 13 recruited scholarship players with varying skill sets on the roster next year. You said earlier that this is being done to protect the program against defections and injuries. You’ve also said that you still want to have a rotation of your best guys for continuity and so that when other coaches use their bench, you can match your best players against less than their best. I look at what Leonard Hamilton has done at Florida State. He seems to use the whole roster with little drop off. It helps him deal with foul trouble, fatigue and injury. It might also help with recruiting. How does he make it work as well as it does at Florida State and could such a system work here?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

PART ONE

Matt Park: “How are things coach?” Jim Boeheim: “Things are fine. We are ready to go south.” (Me: “I thought we already did that, coach”) “We aren’t too sad going on the road. We’re better there… Guys can get tight at home.” (‘Tight?”)

About the Boston College game: “They were missing three guys but lost to Notre Dame by 1 without two of them. We got off to a sloppy start. We actually did a good job on the three point line. They were 11 out of 34 when we sent the reserves in and 8 of 9 the last three minutes.” He would reference this several times so I looked it up. The subs came in at the 5:13 mark and BC made 7 threes in a row after that, then finally missed one with 8 seconds left. The score went from 72-50 to 84-71, so we were out-scored 12-21 in that stretch. BC was 19 for 42 from the arc for the game so they were 12 for 34 before that, which is 35.3%. JB also pointed out that they got to the line only 10 times because they were just shooting from outside and that was big factor, too, (as was the fact that they, incredibly, only made 2 of them). “In college basketball, you can’t just let them shoot it. You have to know the defense to determine who is at fault. On some of them the center has to cover the corner. On some the forwards have to go out. Each of four guys probably had two open threes they gave up. A couple of them were crazy long. But they knew they were going to lose. When you feel no pressure, that’s when you make shots.”

Jim said that Buddy ‘s ankle was still sore and that he was short on his last 4 shots “or he would really have had a big night. …Bourama made the Pitt game easy and took over in the second half against Boston College.

“We are closer to having 4-5 guys playing well, which would make us tough to beat. We are not a great team but a really good road team. We should have beaten Clemson and could have beaten Florida State. We’ve beaten three teams on the road after losing to them in Syracuse. We were in a bleak situation when we were 8-7 with some tough games ahead.”

I called in and did my spiel about the 50 year streak of winning seasons. JB: “We’ve had great fans – fans like you who come to the games and support the team. There are always critics but they normally don’t come to the games. Bill Guthridge who replaced Dean Smith for a couple of years at North Carolina was asked what made the program so successful. The #1 thing he said, was the fans. They are the basis for any winning program. Connecticut was mediocre before Jim Calhoun but they were already selling out their arena. Tom Brady and Jimmy Fallon are not easily impressed but they were by the fans at the Dome. We’ve got the 70 top attendance games in history”. (On campus games, of course.) “I thought when we moved our games these that we might get 15,000. We’d been getting 9,000 at Manley so that would have been good. We got that the first year. “

“Everybody talks about money. It’s important to football because they need facilities. We have as good a facility as there is in basketball and it doesn’t cost a lot. Providence built a 42 million dollar facility and it isn’t better than ours, which cost $20 million.”

“In football you have to realize that there aren’t a lot of football players in the north. Florida had 200 top players and another 200 that are pretty good. Upstate New York has 2-3 top players and maybe 10 more that are OK. In basketball you can get a couple of real good players and some good supporting players and you have a good team.“ True but that means that there are a lot more good teams, which makes sustaining success harder even if achieving it might be easier.

“Every great program has an off season. North Carolina has four McDonald’s All-Americans It can happen to anybody.“

“We’ve had a lot of good players. There’s been some close calls. One year we were 14-13 going into a game at Connecticut. We played a great game and won and wound up with 17-18 wins. That was probably our worst season.” I was unable to find the year he’s talking about. It would require a mediocre record with a late season victory at Connecticut. The 1982 team was 13-8 when they won 78-71 and finished 16-13. The 1993 team was 12-5, won 60-57 and wound up 20-9. The 1997 team was 1107, won 65-53 and wound up 19-13. The 1999 team, (the one I thought he meant), was 15-6, won 59-42 and wound up 21-12. The 2002 team that wound up 23-13 didn’t play Connecticut in the by-then-bloated Big East. the 2006 and 2007 teams lost at Connecticut and the 2008 team didn’t play there. Our next mediocre team was in the ACC. We’ve played Connecticut since then but always early in the season. When you’ve been coaching for 44 years…

Matt said that “Nobody’s holding a parade over the streak. But, as Steve said, it does have a unifying effect on the program. Al the guys who come back for events like the weekend’s program are guys who have never seen a losing seasons.” JB: “We’ve had to win on the road to get the winning season this year. We’ve lost some that we could have won but we’ve also won some that we could have lost. We’ve had a high number of Sweet 16’s. (21 in the 50 years, 19 in the JB era). We’ve been to 5 Final Fours. That’s a pretty good number.” (And the actual number, 6, is even better – Jim’s been to 5 as a head coach.) “Consistency in winning games is what we wanted to do.” Nobody does it better…

“This was always going to be a tough year. We lost 4 guys. We struggled early because we were still learning. We’re still trying to get better. The players are always in early and stay late. It’s everybody. Not just 2-3 guys.” Matt said that we are playing the best basketball of the year, having won 3 of 4, only losing to UNC who has won 3 in a row. JB: “If you could pick your next opponent, they are the last team we’d want to play. I would not be surprised if they beat Duke by 11-12 points. That would give them and bye and then I wouldn’t put it past them to win the ACC tournament. Florida State could be tough for them due to the pressure.

Josh in Boulder called to ask about Marek Dolezaj’s improvement. “Who is teaching him his moves?” JB: “His problem is that he has trouble with physical teams. Also they are now playing him for drives. He’s starting to make mid-range jumpers and threes in practice now. If you aren’t making shots in practice I won’t let you shoot in games. Early on I let Quincy Guerrier take them because he was making them in practice. When he got to 3 of 25, I made him stop. Marek will be working on it all summer. He’s also going to try to gain weight. He made 37% of his threes last year.” (11 for 29: this year he’s 1 for 6. But I don’t want him lunching threes anyway. I want him in the middle of the defense, hitting from the high post.) “He can’t spin when the other team is helping on defense. When the help comes up he can hit guards for open threes. He’s got to get better at the shooting part to be a weapon.” Matt said that he loves Marek’s one man fast breaks. JB: “They are so afraid of the shooters he gets past the forwards on the break. The best thing about the shooters is that they spread the court whether they are making shots or not. We’re not making a lot of threes but coaches have to respect it and thanks to our drives we are getting to the line more.

We’ll be the 5th seed in the ACCT if we can beat Miami. “Normally that would put us into the NCAA tournament. But we had a bad non-conference schedule, (meaning a poor non-conference record). With a decent one, we’d be in. We’ll have to prepare for Chris Lykes being available, (he is having his nose x-rayed and may have to wear a mask as Brycen Goodine did). They will be dangerous at home. It’s this league- all the games will be tough games.

Gomez said this was the end of season 21 or 22 of these shows – he wasn’t sure. Jim: “Who’s counting? When you are going all the time with 2 games a week, it goes by quickly. So does life.”

“The fans have been great. We haven’t played as well at home as we’d like. Some teams have shot it well here and not as well when we are on the road. The Duke and north Carolina games were fun to watch, although I think some fans might like to see a bad game that we won.”

He returned to the subject of what we lost from last year. “Tyus and Oshae were good defenders. Paschal was 7-2. Not many big guys had a good game against him. He had 18 points and 16 rebounds at Duke and that really made a difference.” (Actually he had 10 points and 18 rebounds at Duke. Bourama had 18/16 at Pitt two years ago.) We are a better offensive team this year but a worse defensive team. We are second in the league in points scored and 7th in defense, a little lower than normal. Replacing four guys is hard. We were picked for 8th in the conference. The worse we can do is a tie for 5th. The non-conference schedule was tougher than we thought. When we were 8-7 the nay sayers were predicting a
losing season. “

Gomez asked how can BC hit 19 threes and lose by 13. Jim went back over the three point numbers after the substitutions. “11 of 33 is a good number and so is 10 foul shots. We stopped really working at it and left players open. They made a couple of long ones. We went from pretty good defense to horrible. We made our free throws and they never got to within 11. It was not fun to watch.”

I called in my question about using our whole roster the way Leonard Hamilton does at Florida State. JB: “They are completely different programs. They play 9-10 but 2-3 guys play a lot. They have a simple fundamental system. I watched Villanova play and they had two guys play two minutes and one guy who played six minutes. Their starters average 38 minutes. That’s normal. Kansas does it the same way. In a perfect world you’ve got a good back-up center, a forward and a guard. 7-8-9 guys is ideal. Jesse wasn’t quite ready. Jalen would have helped us. ..I expect 2-3 guys to leave. Elijah is probably leaning toward it. Somebody who isn’t playing a lot might transfer. The new transfer rule may be in effect by then. We are still looking at high school players and grad transfers. We have to protect the program. There will be lots of movement and we’ll have to be flexible. We’ll be recruiting al spring and summer. This is the transfer era. 800 guys will be transferring.”

I asked if Jim was saying that we couldn’t be like Florida State because our system was more complicated than theirs and so we couldn’t have 9-10 guys learn it equally well. He wasn’t quite ready to say that. “We’ve always recruited based on giving guys a lot of minutes.” (As opposed to giving a lot of guys minutes.) “That’s why they come here. When we had Derrick Coleman and Bill Owens we had a guy named Keith Hughes who went on play for Rutgers. We could have played him 20 minutes and had Derrick and Billy play 30 minutes but then they would have been mad. If you are the best guy, you will play. We are never going to be Florida State. Leonard Hamilton always has 2-3 key guys in there. Most teams play 7-8-9 guys and the 9th guy plays maybe 2 minutes. That’s the way college basketball is.”

They ended with Tom, (not Steve) from North Syracuse, who congratulated Jim on “44 non-losing seasons. I’m 100% for you but not 100% behind all your callers. You’ve got nothing to lose so go all out the rest of the year.”

(I will do Part Two tomorrow. )

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, I’d just like to pay tribute to the accomplishment of securing our 50th straight winning season. That’s a special achievement because that’s the longest streak in the country and the second longest in history, (UCLA 54 from 1949-2002). It unites all the coaches, players and fans who have contributed to the program over the last half century in one achievement. All the teams have been part of one team: Syracuse and there’s a real sense of it being a family of players that continue to bleed Orange. It’s gotten us through 50 Central New York winters and put this community on the map nationally.

I still have the little pamphlets that passed for SU’s Media Guide at the beginning of the streak. You and Bill Vesp were Roy Danforth’s assistants. Coach Vesp coached the freshman team to a 17-1 record, led by our future police chief, Dennis DuVal. You had coached the freshmen the year before and now were assigned to be the lead recruiter. This was the “Roy’s Runts + One team: our center, Bill Smith was 6-11. Point guard Tommy Green was 5-11. Shooting guard Greg “Kid” Kohls was 6-1. So was forward Mark Wadach, an amazing rebounder for his size. The other forward was Mike Lee, 6-3, who is less remembered than his younger brother Jimmy because of Jim’s 1975 shot against North Carolina but was more of an all-around player and one of the most under-rated players in SU history. I also remember Chuck Wichman, who make a spectacular lay-up to beat Niagara and send us to the NIT, a much more prestigious tournament then than now, (it was won by 13th ranked North Carolina with Charlie Scott, a team that went 26-6). Chuck did the same thing to a highly ranked Fordham the next year.

They were the ones who got it started and thanks to Elijah, Buddy, Marek, Joe, Bourama and the rest, it’s still going on today.“

Second Hour:

“Coach, I know you are focused on Miami but it’s the last show of the season and this is my last question so I’ll ask about next year. You figure to have 13 recruited scholarship players with varying skill sets on the roster next year. You said earlier that this is being done to protect the program against defections and injuries. You’ve also said that you still want to have a rotation of your best guys for continuity and so that when other coaches use their bench, you can match your best players against less than their best. I look at what Leonard Hamilton has done at Florida State. He seems to use the whole roster with little drop off. It helps him deal with foul trouble, fatigue and injury. It might also help with recruiting. How does he make it work as well as it does at Florida State and could such a system work here?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

PART ONE

Matt Park: “How are things coach?” Jim Boeheim: “Things are fine. We are ready to go south.” (Me: “I thought we already did that, coach”) “We aren’t too sad going on the road. We’re better there… Guys can get tight at home.” (‘Tight?”)

About the Boston College game: “They were missing three guys but lost to Notre Dame by 1 without two of them. We got off to a sloppy start. We actually did a good job on the three point line. They were 11 out of 34 when we sent the reserves in and 8 of 9 the last three minutes.” He would reference this several times so I looked it up. The subs came in at the 5:13 mark and BC made 7 threes in a row after that, then finally missed one with 8 seconds left. The score went from 72-50 to 84-71, so we were out-scored 12-21 in that stretch. BC was 19 for 42 from the arc for the game so they were 12 for 34 before that, which is 35.3%. JB also pointed out that they got to the line only 10 times because they were just shooting from outside and that was big factor, too, (as was the fact that they, incredibly, only made 2 of them). “In college basketball, you can’t just let them shoot it. You have to know the defense to determine who is at fault. On some of them the center has to cover the corner. On some the forwards have to go out. Each of four guys probably had two open threes they gave up. A couple of them were crazy long. But they knew they were going to lose. When you feel no pressure, that’s when you make shots.”

Jim said that Buddy ‘s ankle was still sore and that he was short on his last 4 shots “or he would really have had a big night. …Bourama made the Pitt game easy and took over in the second half against Boston College.

“We are closer to having 4-5 guys playing well, which would make us tough to beat. We are not a great team but a really good road team. We should have beaten Clemson and could have beaten Florida State. We’ve beaten three teams on the road after losing to them in Syracuse. We were in a bleak situation when we were 8-7 with some tough games ahead.”

I called in and did my spiel about the 50 year streak of winning seasons. JB: “We’ve had great fans – fans like you who come to the games and support the team. There are always critics but they normally don’t come to the games. Bill Guthridge who replaced Dean Smith for a couple of years at North Carolina was asked what made the program so successful. The #1 thing he said, was the fans. They are the basis for any winning program. Connecticut was mediocre before Jim Calhoun but they were already selling out their arena. Tom Brady and Jimmy Fallon are not easily impressed but they were by the fans at the Dome. We’ve got the 70 top attendance games in history”. (On campus games, of course.) “I thought when we moved our games these that we might get 15,000. We’d been getting 9,000 at Manley so that would have been good. We got that the first year. “

“Everybody talks about money. It’s important to football because they need facilities. We have as good a facility as there is in basketball and it doesn’t cost a lot. Providence built a 42 million dollar facility and it isn’t better than ours, which cost $20 million.”

“In football you have to realize that there aren’t a lot of football players in the north. Florida had 200 top players and another 200 that are pretty good. Upstate New York has 2-3 top players and maybe 10 more that are OK. In basketball you can get a couple of real good players and some good supporting players and you have a good team.“ True but that means that there are a lot more good teams, which makes sustaining success harder even if achieving it might be easier.

“Every great program has an off season. North Carolina has four McDonald’s All-Americans It can happen to anybody.“

“We’ve had a lot of good players. There’s been some close calls. One year we were 14-13 going into a game at Connecticut. We played a great game and won and wound up with 17-18 wins. That was probably our worst season.” I was unable to find the year he’s talking about. It would require a mediocre record with a late season victory at Connecticut. The 1982 team was 13-8 when they won 78-71 and finished 16-13. The 1993 team was 12-5, won 60-57 and wound up 20-9. The 1997 team was 1107, won 65-53 and wound up 19-13. The 1999 team, (the one I thought he meant), was 15-6, won 59-42 and wound up 21-12. The 2002 team that wound up 23-13 didn’t play Connecticut in the by-then-bloated Big East. the 2006 and 2007 teams lost at Connecticut and the 2008 team didn’t play there. Our next mediocre team was in the ACC. We’ve played Connecticut since then but always early in the season. When you’ve been coaching for 44 years…

Matt said that “Nobody’s holding a parade over the streak. But, as Steve said, it does have a unifying effect on the program. Al the guys who come back for events like the weekend’s program are guys who have never seen a losing seasons.” JB: “We’ve had to win on the road to get the winning season this year. We’ve lost some that we could have won but we’ve also won some that we could have lost. We’ve had a high number of Sweet 16’s. (21 in the 50 years, 19 in the JB era). We’ve been to 5 Final Fours. That’s a pretty good number.” (And the actual number, 6, is even better – Jim’s been to 5 as a head coach.) “Consistency in winning games is what we wanted to do.” Nobody does it better…

“This was always going to be a tough year. We lost 4 guys. We struggled early because we were still learning. We’re still trying to get better. The players are always in early and stay late. It’s everybody. Not just 2-3 guys.” Matt said that we are playing the best basketball of the year, having won 3 of 4, only losing to UNC who has won 3 in a row. JB: “If you could pick your next opponent, they are the last team we’d want to play. I would not be surprised if they beat Duke by 11-12 points. That would give them and bye and then I wouldn’t put it past them to win the ACC tournament. Florida State could be tough for them due to the pressure.

Josh in Boulder called to ask about Marek Dolezaj’s improvement. “Who is teaching him his moves?” JB: “His problem is that he has trouble with physical teams. Also they are now playing him for drives. He’s starting to make mid-range jumpers and threes in practice now. If you aren’t making shots in practice I won’t let you shoot in games. Early on I let Quincy Guerrier take them because he was making them in practice. When he got to 3 of 25, I made him stop. Marek will be working on it all summer. He’s also going to try to gain weight. He made 37% of his threes last year.” (11 for 29: this year he’s 1 for 6. But I don’t want him lunching threes anyway. I want him in the middle of the defense, hitting from the high post.) “He can’t spin when the other team is helping on defense. When the help comes up he can hit guards for open threes. He’s got to get better at the shooting part to be a weapon.” Matt said that he loves Marek’s one man fast breaks. JB: “They are so afraid of the shooters he gets past the forwards on the break. The best thing about the shooters is that they spread the court whether they are making shots or not. We’re not making a lot of threes but coaches have to respect it and thanks to our drives we are getting to the line more.

We’ll be the 5th seed in the ACCT if we can beat Miami. “Normally that would put us into the NCAA tournament. But we had a bad non-conference schedule, (meaning a poor non-conference record). With a decent one, we’d be in. We’ll have to prepare for Chris Lykes being available, (he is having his nose x-rayed and may have to wear a mask as Brycen Goodine did). They will be dangerous at home. It’s this league- all the games will be tough games.

Gomez said this was the end of season 21 or 22 of these shows – he wasn’t sure. Jim: “Who’s counting? When you are going all the time with 2 games a week, it goes by quickly. So does life.”

“The fans have been great. We haven’t played as well at home as we’d like. Some teams have shot it well here and not as well when we are on the road. The Duke and north Carolina games were fun to watch, although I think some fans might like to see a bad game that we won.”

He returned to the subject of what we lost from last year. “Tyus and Oshae were good defenders. Paschal was 7-2. Not many big guys had a good game against him. He had 18 points and 16 rebounds at Duke and that really made a difference.” (Actually he had 10 points and 18 rebounds at Duke. Bourama had 18/16 at Pitt two years ago.) We are a better offensive team this year but a worse defensive team. We are second in the league in points scored and 7th in defense, a little lower than normal. Replacing four guys is hard. We were picked for 8th in the conference. The worse we can do is a tie for 5th. The non-conference schedule was tougher than we thought. When we were 8-7 the nay sayers were predicting a
losing season. “

Gomez asked how can BC hit 19 threes and lose by 13. Jim went back over the three point numbers after the substitutions. “11 of 33 is a good number and so is 10 foul shots. We stopped really working at it and left players open. They made a couple of long ones. We went from pretty good defense to horrible. We made our free throws and they never got to within 11. It was not fun to watch.”

I called in my question about using our whole roster the way Leonard Hamilton does at Florida State. JB: “They are completely different programs. They play 9-10 but 2-3 guys play a lot. They have a simple fundamental system. I watched Villanova play and they had two guys play two minutes and one guy who played six minutes. Their starters average 38 minutes. That’s normal. Kansas does it the same way. In a perfect world you’ve got a good back-up center, a forward and a guard. 7-8-9 guys is ideal. Jesse wasn’t quite ready. Jalen would have helped us. ..I expect 2-3 guys to leave. Elijah is probably leaning toward it. Somebody who isn’t playing a lot might transfer. The new transfer rule may be in effect by then. We are still looking at high school players and grad transfers. We have to protect the program. There will be lots of movement and we’ll have to be flexible. We’ll be recruiting al spring and summer. This is the transfer era. 800 guys will be transferring.”

I asked if Jim was saying that we couldn’t be like Florida State because our system was more complicated than theirs and so we couldn’t have 9-10 guys learn it equally well. He wasn’t quite ready to say that. “We’ve always recruited based on giving guys a lot of minutes.” (As opposed to giving a lot of guys minutes.) “That’s why they come here. When we had Derrick Coleman and Bill Owens we had a guy named Keith Hughes who went on play for Rutgers. We could have played him 20 minutes and had Derrick and Billy play 30 minutes but then they would have been mad. If you are the best guy, you will play. We are never going to be Florida State. Leonard Hamilton always has 2-3 key guys in there. Most teams play 7-8-9 guys and the 9th guy plays maybe 2 minutes. That’s the way college basketball is.”

They ended with Tom, (not Steve) from North Syracuse, who congratulated Jim on “44 non-losing seasons. I’m 100% for you but not 100% behind all your callers. You’ve got nothing to lose so go all out the rest of the year.”

“I expect 2-3 guys to leave. Elijah is probably leaning toward it. Somebody who isn’t playing a lot might transfer. The new transfer rule may be in effect by then. We are still looking at high school players and grad transfers. We have to protect the program. There will be lots of movement and we’ll have to be flexible. We’ll be recruiting al spring and summer. This is the transfer era. 800 guys will be transferring.”

RE: Elijah - Meh. I know it’s almost a certainty but still.

RE: Everything else said here - Thank God.

Surprised about still recruiting high school.

But man, it was roster malpractice to not get a Grad transfer big guy (rebounder / defender) in here for this year. Who couldn’t see that coming???

Refreshing to hear Jim say this, that he plans on being active this offseason.

“I expect 2-3 guys to leave. Elijah is probably leaning toward it. Somebody who isn’t playing a lot might transfer. The new transfer rule may be in effect by then. We are still looking at high school players and grad transfers. We have to protect the program. There will be lots of movement and we’ll have to be flexible. We’ll be recruiting al spring and summer. This is the transfer era. 800 guys will be transferring.”

RE: Elijah - Meh. I know it’s almost a certainty but still.

RE: Everything else said here - Thank God.

Surprised about still recruiting high school.

But man, it was roster malpractice to not get a Grad transfer big guy (rebounder / defender) in here for this year. Who couldn’t see that coming???

Refreshing to hear Jim say this, that he plans on being active this offseason.

Um, we had CDB, Jesse, and JBA all as 5's. How many centers can a team carry?
It's 'roster malpractice' to carry too many of any position player.

The main part of the issue is - attracting said Grad x-fer Big guy to want to come and compete against 3 other guys - PLUS Marek - at his position for minutes.
Who willingly signs up for that?? :rolleyes:

Just because we have a need for X style of player, doesn't mean any of those players have a desire to come into our situation. It's their choice, not ours.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

Second Hour:

COACH BOEHEIM

PART ONE

losing season. “

Thanks, Steve, for a good way to start my day.

Um, we had CDB, Jesse, and JBA all as 5's. How many centers can a team carry?
It's 'roster malpractice' to carry too many of any position player.

The main part of the issue is - attracting said Grad x-fer Big guy to want to come and compete against 3 other guys - PLUS Marek - at his position for minutes.
Who willingly signs up for that?? :rolleyes:

Just because we have a need for X style of player, doesn't mean any of those players have a desire to come into our situation. It's their choice, not ours.

Our center situation makes me wonder why a guy like Rape would come here for his one remaining year rather than go whether position is is truly vacant. Boruama's sudden surge should also be an issue for him.

12 underclassmen + 2 high school recruits + 2 grad transfers = 16 scholarships when you only had 13 to give so we lose at least three guys. I figured they would be Hughes, Carey and Tape not coming. But if the (elimination of) the transfer rule is coming that fast and they are going to recruit all spring and summer, and they are even still looking at high school kids, it's going to be like getting a new hand dealt in a card game. Nobody will know the roster until the fall, (which will also make it difficult for kids deciding whether to transfer and where).

Like Chuck Schumer said on another subject: "They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind".

"...we were picked for 8th in the conference. The worse we can do is a tie for 5th."

It's a strange thing how many different ways you can look at this season and come to a varying conclusions regarding the success or failure of it.

We better win the ACCT!

It's a strange thing how many different ways you can look at this season and come to a varying conclusions regarding the success or failure of it.

We better win the ACCT!

1583514158578.png

I watched Villanova play and they had two guys play two minutes and one guy who played six minutes. Their starters average 38 minutes. That’s normal.

fact check. nobody on villanova averages more than 34 minutes.nobody on kansas more than 35.
just cause JB managed to get 4 of his players into the ACC top 25 mpg category this year doesn't mean
other good teams do it. one kansas player in the top 100 mpg (dotson #97) and no nova. we got 2 .
you want to play ironman ball fine. it's your team . but don't act like anyone else is buying into your crazy ahab coaching philosophy. you own this stat every year .

Last edited:
PART TWO

Around the league: MP: “Virginia has won 7 in a row by a total of 20 points.” JB: Defense helps you win those games. (When we beat them) in overtime Elijah got one, (a three pointer), Buddy got one and Buddy’s shot hit the backboard and went in. We scored 20 points in five minutes and missed two free throws on top of that. I don’t think anybody else has scored 20 points in 5 minutes against Virginia.” In their 46-44 win over Miami Jay Huff scored 17 points. Jay scored Virginia’s first 17 points in the first 14:24 of the game to give his team a 17-11 lead. He then went scoreless the rest of the game while his teammates scored the last 29 points to hold on to win. He made 4 of 5 twos and 3 of 4 threes in that stretch and then went 0 for 4 and 0 for 3 the rest of the way.

Florida State beat Notre Dame 73-71. “Notre Dame has lost 7 games by 3 points or less.” They counted them: Boston College by 1, Indiana by 2, Louisville by 3, Syracuse by 2, Virginia by 1, Florida State by 2. That’s six but you get the point. They’ve got seniors, shooters, rebounding and a shot-blocking center. They are a mystery team.” M. J. Walker had a line Buddy could love: 21 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists. (He also had 0 steals and 0 blocks. he missed four shots had a turnover and 4 fouls for 12NP). But he scored his team’s last 11 points. (Actually he scored 16 points in a row from 8:42 to 2:40 then teammates scored the last 7 of FSU’s points). “He beat us with two 3’s.”

Miami’s Chris Lykes is having his nose ex-rayed and might not play but “When he was out before Isaiah Wong averaged 20 points a game. They still have a lot of weapons. Georgia Tech gave up their appeal and will not be playing in any post season tournament, including the ACCT. “they would have had to win it to get into the NCAAs. We’ve won 7 of 9 games.“ Virginia Tech beat Clemson. “They beat Michigan State. North Carolina State beat Duke. Clemson has beaten all the top teams, (in the league). And they are saying we are a bad league. It makes no sense.” Matt said that the league had “some bad PR with the results of the ACC-Big Ten challenge.” JB: “Several games were close”.

Joe Lunardi appeared on the TV scene. JB: “That’s a joke.”

Coach expressed the hope that Emily Engstler of the women’s team would be Ok after turning her ankle in the first game of the ACCT. “She’s a good player and they will be a good tourney team. They have veterans who have played in the NCAA tourney. When they shoot it they can beat people. Louisville will be a tough draw but they are not looking forward to playing us.”

Jim Calhoun is coaching Division III St. Joseph’s of Connecticut, which didn’t have a basketball team before he started the program last year. They went 16-12 his first year and this year has won 26 games in a row, (actually they are 26-2), have won their conference regular season and tournament and are about to play Hobart in the NCAA’s. Matt compared this to Coach Boeheim retiring from SU to coach Ithaca College. JB: “#1 – it’s not happening.” He didn’t give a #2.

Gomez asked about possible national championship contenders. “Are you sold on Dayton?” JB: “Yes. They went on the road and beat Rhode Island by 20 and Rhode Island has a good team. Kansas looks like the most solid team. They’ve got the big man inside, a great guard and are solid defensively. The other top teams have real flaws.” His #1 seeds are Kansas, Baylor, San Diego State and Gonzaga. “Nobody from the East. We’ve beaten each other up too much in the ACC and the Big 10. All the top teams have 5-6 losses.“

Gomez noted that Matt Park will receive the Vic Hanson award at the hardwood club banquet. The award goes to “to an individual or individuals who have ties to the men’s basketball program and have made outstanding contributions to college basketball”.

Dion Waiters has signed with the Lakers. (Could we finally have an SU guy in the NBA finals for the first time in 40 years?) “He can score and they need a scorer coming off the bench. It’s a good fit. There’s lots of good basketball left in him and he’s in great shape. He needs to get his reputation back.”

Coach talked having Tom Brady, Julian Edelman and Jimmy Fallon at the game. “They are great guys. Edelman, who I had not met, is really nice. They came into the locker room and took pictures with everybody. A friend told me that Tom never talks to anybody- he just leaves- but he talked to our team about being the 6th string quarterback after he was drafted 199th in the draft. (None of the 198 guys taken ahead of him was as good). He said that he didn’t want to play for more money or championships. He just likes to play football. He’s still good at it. Edelman is really small. He’s another guy everybody said wasn’t going to make it. You can see why Fallon is a hit on TV. He lives in Brewster, NY. That’s where Buddy played. We were there and Julie pulled up next to his house and took pictures of his light fixtures and we got some just like them. I have to send him a picture of them.”

On the tribute to John Wallace. “It was good to have the guys from the 1996 team back and also the guys from my team. Dave Bing is ageless. He’s still the greatest player who ever played here. John is a very vocal SU guy. He calls us “The best school in the country”. He got us through a difficult time. If we’d played anybody but Kentucky we’d have won the championship. We beat a great Kansas team to get there and then beat a red hot Mississippi State team that had beaten Kentucky in the SEC tournament and Connecticut in the NCAA tournament. We didn’t play great in the final but would have had a chance to win the title except for a questionable foul call.”

Gomez asked about the change in the transfer rule JB had said could happen before next seaosn. JB: “It’s politically correct thinking. Coaches leave and can coach immediately. Why shouldn’t players leave and play immediately? Players in sports other than football and basketball, (such as lacrosse), can leave and play immediately. Why not the football and basketball players? I understand the thinking but it’s apples and oranges. Football players are looking to get to the NFL. Basketball players are trying to get into the NBA. Lacrosse players are looking for a job. If a sophomore quarterback in football is backing up another sophomore- he’s going to want to transfer to a school where he could be #1. We had a guy move to get into the NBA and he’s not playing. The small schools will really get hurt. The way it is not they might lose a good player for his senior year. Now they will transfer after their first good year. They might be sophomores. They may get players from still smaller schools who will have the same problem. I think of players like Otis Hill or Lazarus Sims. What if they’d transferred out before their senior years? Matt Moyer loved SU. He was going to get a degree from Newhouse. But he wasn’t playing so he transferred. I’ve seen 5-6-7 guys leave and play less. The other school has players too. I understand that other sports do it. It’s more freedom for the student athlete. Like the own your image issue, it’s all going to happen. We’ll see how it works out. You’ll have 3-4 guys making $15-20,000 a year from their own image and the rest of the guys get nothing.” (I wonder how Peyton Manning’s teammates felt about him making so many commercials.) “Right now, everybody gets the same. It’s equitable. It’s very complicated. They can’t get it resolved because they don’t know how to do it.” (As Chuck Schumer said "They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind". It makes more sense here than it when Chuck said it.)

“It’s a myth that schools make money. We pay for other sports. The women’s soft ball team goes to California. We have to fund raise because we don’t make money. We don’t make money without it. We’d only be able to afford football, basketball and maybe lacrosse. If the college programs go down everybody will be in the G Leagues or in Europe.”

Matt described this time of year as “the best restaurant season”. Jim said “You might as well have good dinners because it’s no fun being on the road.”

And, with that, Thursday becomes just another night of the week….

fact check. nobody on villanova averages more than 34 minutes.nobody on kansas more than 35.
just cause JB managed to get 4 of his players into the ACC top 25 mpg category this year doesn't mean
other good teams do it. one kansas player in the top 100 mpg (dotson #97) and no nova. we got 2 .
you want to play ironman ball fine. it's your team . but don't act like anyone else is buying into your crazy ahab coaching philosophy. you own this stat every year .

the difference between su starters and nova is less than 2 mpg. And that’s because of Hughes. Big whoop. Didn’t include Sidibe and their lowest guy since sidibes out due to fouls so much. Even the 6th men are equal. You’re splitting hairs using nova.

you also have to add in how the games are being played.. if you have close games you play the people you trust late. if you have games with more spread more guys can get minutes.

What did you think of his two main reasons we couldn't be like Florida State?

1) Our system is more complicated so it's harder to get 10 guys of relatively equal competence in it to alternate. We have to go with the guys who, to this point, have learned it best and thus can maximize their performance in it, rather than guys who are still a work in progress.

2) We recruit guys by saying that, (if they make the final rotation), they will play a lot of minutes. We don't want to bring in top talent and limit them to 30 minutes so that somebody not as good can play 20 minutes. We'd lose top recruits that way.

Note: Those aren't quotes they are my expansion of what I think he was trying to say in the quotes in the original post.

I would suggest that if #1 is true, perhaps our system is too complicated and if #2 is true, it hasn't resulted in our getting better players than they have at FSU.

Why can't the Orange be oranges instead of apples?

the difference between su starters and nova is less than 2 mpg.
18 teams currently have 2 players in the top 100 mpg. none are ranked top 25 . none even received votes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom