The Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

The first hour is eventually, (it can take weeks) podcasted on the SU Athletics website on this page:

http://suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-437-7644. Or you can submit questions from this page:

http://www.suathletics.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

I will be posting my rough transcript of the first hour the night of the broadcast and will probably do the second hour the following day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

“Coach, after the Miami game a caller to a local radio show complained that we aren’t scoring enough points, even if we are winning. I checked and we are actually 15th in the country in points score per possession, out of 351 major college teams. But we are 343rd in the number of possessions per game. I’ve always thought great teams impose their will on the other team. What can we do to speed things up. Or is this the pace that this Syracuse team wants to play at?”

Second hour:

“Coach, I’ve been reading Bud Poliquin’s book: “Tales from the Syracuse Orange’s Locker Room.” It contains an allegation that, in the early 70’s SU’s golf coach purloined some T-shirts from the football team so his golfers could have a uniform. Any truth to that?

Also, there’s a chapter on Dolph Schayes and his disagreements with you over the use of Danny Schayes. Dolph is the Syracuse basketball icon on one generation and you of later generations. I hope you two get along OK these days. And could Danny have played with Rosey Bouie in a high-post-low post set up?”

COACH BOEHEIM

(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

Both Matt and Jim had gotten back from North Carolina in the wee hours- 3AM. At one point, Matt pronounced the name of the restaurant as “Delbonicos”. JB: “It was a long night but it’s alright. It’s always good to get a road win. It’s difficult when both teams shoot poorly. But go get the rebounds!”

Coach was surprised at all the SU fans in Winston-Salem. He and Matt estimated from 1500-2500. “They were in every section, not just in one place.” They were amused at how a small amount of snow paralyzed the area. “One inch.” Matt said that was “July in Fulton”. Jim pointed out that they have no sanders or salt to treat the ice.

Matt asked how Jim gets his player to focus on basketball when the community is so excited about the Duke game, which he jokingly suggested “will decide the fate of civilization”. “That has nothing to do with us. We and Duke will prepare for this game the same way. We’ll have one more win or one more loss after this. The Wake Forest game counts just as much. When the game starts, you think about playing well in the game. “

Later James in Clay asked what Jim’s advice to the team about keeping their emotions in check would be. “We try to be intense and play hard in every practice and every game. League games all count the same: be consistent in each game. Everybody’s going to be excited but don’t be overly excited.”

Brandon wanted to know how the Duke players would react to the record crowd in the Dome. “Duke players like these games. That’s why they go to Duke. Mike tells his players that they will be going to the toughest places to play the best teams. Duke is the best road team in America. It will be an event, more than just a basketball game. But in the end, it’s just one of 31 games.” Is it still cool to walk into the Dome and see that huge crowd? “I try not to pay attention to that and just focus on what’s going to happen on the court. That’s easier when you’ve coached over 1,000 games.”

Pat in Syracuse had a scouting report on Duke and wanted the coach to grade it. “Make sure you base it on how they are playing now, not how they were playing early in the year.” Pat: “They have four guys who can make a play: drive, pass or shoot the ball. There’s not a lot of post presence. They are more suited to facing a man for man than a zone, which can take away their drives.” JB: “They can still dribble against our zone. They have four guys who can shoot the three. They have been rebounding very well. They have depth and put on a lot pressure with their defense, much more so than early in the year. They cause the most problems of any team in the country. Pitt is one of the better teams in the country. Nobody scores 80 points on Pitt but Duke did. What we need to do is not let them get out in transition or get comfortable at the three point line. We want to beat them down court and be comfortable in the half court.”

Dale in Minneapolis praised the zone for not being static: it can be any one thing depending on the opponent. JB: “Some zone principles stay the same. There’s an emphasis on where a team might or is hurting us. We can adjust it.”

I called in my question about the pace of the game. Jim replied that “with 6 guys, we’re better off with a slow pace, unless we can develop a couple more guys. Last year we could play at either pace. We scored 90 points on Arkansas. Most teams slow it down against us. We’re not a good pressing team. We would wear down and get into foul trouble. We have to get Mike (Gbinije) and Tyler (Roberson) playing better. I thought DaJuan was going to be a key player this year. He allowed us to use Rakeem as a forward and rest Jerami and CJ.” Matt noted that Gbinije had 3 points, 4 rebounds and a three pointer vs. Wake Forest. JB: “He also missed on a good drive and lost the ball on another and lost the ball on the sidelines.”

Pat later called back to follow up on the subject of the pace of the games: “You always let players do what they can based on the talent that they have. We have athletic wings in grant and Fair and Ennis makes great decisions: why don’t we push the ball more? Jim: “I never said we don’t push the ball. Other teams are not pressing us. Ennis is told to push the ball every chance he can. But it’s hard to run on a loose ball in the corner after you’ve played 30 seconds of defense. It’s hard to run when the other team is slowing you down. I’m not upset we aren’t running up and down the court. Last year we wanted to run a little more.”

Ed remembered how we used to throw alley-oop passes back in the 80’s. JB: “Sherman Douglas was the first great alley-oop passer and he’s still the best I’ve ever seen. He once got 8 in a game. Most point guards don’t get 8 in a season. And we had guys who could really go and get it. Not as much since then.” Ed wondered if other coaches considered it ‘impolite’. “Coaches hate it because it’s a big momentum play.”

Jeff in Houston had E-mailed a question praising CJ Fair’s mid-range game and asking Jim who the best mid-range shooters he had played with or coached were. Jeff suggested it might be Dave Bing, Stevie Thompson and CJ. JB: “Not Stevie. He was a finisher, not a shooter. Jimmy Lee, who played when there wasn’t a three point line, was the best. Marty Headd was good. Preston Shumpert was mostly outside but could shoot from medium range. CJ and James Southerland were good. “

Matt asked what impact Olympic basketball had on the SU program. “We’ve added some offensive things from the Olympics. Coach Hopkins got some exposure from being involved.”

John in Clay wondered why “we don’t set too many screens, although Roberson tieis to do it.” Jim averred “We run a lot of screens. We do it with the 4 and the 5 for the 2 and the 3 players. We also run a lot of ball screens for Ennis. We’ve had primarily a ball screening offense for 5 years. Cooney’s screens are father away from him. The guards switch off. Cooney’s got to be able to go by people. He’s physical enough and strong enough that he doesn’t have to be just a shooter. He can be a play maker, too.”

Matt mentioned Tim O’Toole, who is now on the Stanford staff and is the only coach who coached under both Jim Boeheim and Mike Krzyzewski, the two winningest coaches of all time. He was interviewed about them for the coming game and said that they had more in common than differences. JB agreed with that assessment.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2014/01/former_syracuse_and_duke_assis.html

Mimi, a Facebook poster, asked Jim to describe Coach K in one word: “Intense.”

Paul in North Syracuse noted that Rick Pitino had worn his white suit again and wondered if Jim would “take one foe the team” and wear an orange suit for the Duke game. “Don’t expect that. Fashion experts have told me that it’s not my color.” Matt asked if a recruit had ever said he’s come here if Coach wore orange. “No.” Matt noted that Nike is pushing a one game special where Syracuse would wear blue shorts and orange jerseys. “I don’t pay much attention to that.”

Kyle in Oswego wanted to know Jim’s recruiting strategy: does he got after “one and dones” or guys who will stay longer. “Mostly 2-3-4 years guys. But we will go after a great player if we have a chance to get one. You have to have balance. Kentucky’s problems the last couple of years are because they’ve been all freshmen.”

Mike in Oswego has always loved the 1996 team “because they were such a team” but he’s beginning to fall in love with the 2014 team for the same reason. He wondered what Jim’s favorite ‘team’ was. Jim seemed to take as a question of choosing among all his teams, rather than which team played together best as a team- which one exceeded the sum of its parts by the greatest margin. “It’s like choosing among your children: Which is the favorite? The ’96 team came together. Then there was the 1987 team and the 2003 team.” Matt asked what makes this team special? “It’s what they do in crunch time. They’ve done what had to be done. They are down by 2-3 or up one and win by 6 or 8. (More than that.) But it’s way too early to make comparisons.”

Bob in Fayetteville noted that we are suing only “the top seven players: Do you have anybody on the bench who can shoot threes? “Yes, Gerry McNamara.” Then he gave a serious answer: “We don’t have somebody we think is ready. Ron Patterson can make shots. BJ Johnson is a good shooter but he’s 6-7 190 and isn’t physically ready.” Can those players redshirt? “No they aren’t eligible to redshirt.”

Vito in Liverpool wondered if Coach K will put Jabari Parker “in the middle to disrupt the zone”. JB: “Also on the baseline, on the perimeter, in the post. That’s what you do with a versatile player.”

Vito had a follow-up question: Are we through recruiting? He’d heard that Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis might go to the pros. JB: “Neither player is close to an NBA level. That’s just talk. There are no good recruits left. They are all taken. We’ll be OK.”

It's always hard to read between the lines with JB...but does the final graf indicate that he expects JG and TE to return next year?

Interesting that he said the obvious that BJ is not physically ready to compete at this level. Still would love to know the thinking behind the decision not to redshirt him this year. I assume he and his family do not expect or desire for him to stay more than 4 years in college. But simply put, it was easy to predict this would be a wasted year for him in terms of eligibility.

He’d heard that Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis might go to the pros. JB: “Neither player is close to an NBA level. That’s just talk.

whoa, whoa, whoa...That kind of throws JB's comment about Ennis playing "like the Senior he is" into a tailspin. I know the players will make their own decision but you can rest assured that JB will be a major part of that decision, and JB doesn't hold players back as we've heard in the past. Could we see both of these guys back next year?

whoa, whoa, whoa...That kind of throws JB's comment about Ennis playing "like the Senior he is" into a tailspin. I know the players will make their own decision but you can rest assured that JB will be a major part of that decision, and JB doesn't hold players back as we've heard in the past. Could we see both of these guys back next year?
Well, physically I don't believe Tyler is ready for the next level either. Doesn't mean he won't go, but he still has a high school physique. In the NBA those drives to the hoop won't be as plentiful and he'll be knocked around an awful lot. For selfish reasons I hope he stays, but if he's lottery -- why wouldn't he go?

To me, this is JB's way of saying: "We have 13-20 more games to go this season. The draft isn't until mid-June, a lot can happen between now and then and I don't need to participate in idle speculation at this point in the season." And since when has a player's decision to stay or go been based on whether or not they are ready?

I agree with both Clockwork and pfister, but this is the first time publicly that JB has said these guys aren't ready, not only not ready, but not close to ready. Maybe he is just saying it because at this point it doesn't matter, but knowing JB I would have expected to just say that - "we're not thinking about that right now. That will be discussed after the year is over"

I agree with both Clockwork and pfister, but this is the first time publicly that JB has said these guys aren't ready, not only not ready, but not close to ready. Maybe he is just saying it because at this point it doesn't matter, but knowing JB I would have expected to just say that - "we're not thinking about that right now. That will be discussed after the year is over"

You are right, that is his typical response. Hmmm???

Thanks SWC. I look forward to it every Friday morning. Interesting comment at the end about Tyler and Jeremy. i totally agree but it kinda puts the difference between hype and reality in perspective.

It's always hard to read between the lines with JB...but does the final graf indicate that he expects JG and TE to return next year?
I think he is telling it like it is (as he always does). JG and TE might be able to make an NBA roster next year, but they wouldn't see the floor much and may not last long. They need more fine tuning.

Thanks again, Steve. You provided reading for breakfast at my desk. I await my lunchtime reading material.

I think JB just hopes that TE and JG will be on next year's team and he may tell them they are not ready to try to convince them to stay.
He sometimes says things he wants to be true.

With Gomez:

Gomez asked about that nice Italian meal Jim had had in Winston-Salem. “It was a guy who came over from Italy 20 years ago and set up a little place around the corner. I had a great dinner and we won so everything is great.” He didn’t reveal the name of the place or the corner it was around. Maybe he wants it to his little secret.

http://www.yellowpages.com/winston-salem-nc/italian-restaurants

I’m sure it wasn’t an Olive Garden or a Sbarro and I doubt it was called “Oso Eats” or “Cagney’s Italian and Pizzaria” but the rest is up to you if you go down there someday.

Was the Wake Forest game a “great” win? JB: “We’ve never had a bad win and never will. It’s very difficult to win on the road. Stanford led almost the whole game vs. Arizona. Wake Forest hadn’t lost at home all year. CJ kept us in the game in the first half and Tyler won it in the second half.”

Christy called in and wanted to know what Jim does to recruit players to play in Syracuse, despite the weather. JB: “Well, we have the Carrier Dome, we’re in a strong conference, we have a good school and practice facilities like the Melo Center.” Is the weather important? “We always asked them and they say ‘No.’ But sometimes it does. But kids will take those other things over the weather.”

Pete in Nedrow asked one of the perennial questions: is there a recruit that “got away” that Jim has always wished he had? He got the same answer as always. Jim really, really wanted Sam Perkins, would have provided the inside game that was lacking in the early 80’s when he had to have 6-6 Andre Hawkins play center for us. “We would have been better with him and would have loved to have him”. I’m sure Sam has no regrets. He got to play with Michael Jordan in North Carolina and win a national championship. Pete wondered is Jim recruited Adonal Foyle. “Yes we did. But his guardians were teachers at Colgate and they wanted him to go there. We lose guys all the time.”

Coach watched the broadcast of the game on flight back. Cory Alexander had made some comment about Syracuse weather and Jim’s recruiting. “But I think he was trying to praise us for recruited players despite the weather.” He’d also called our defense a ‘match-up zone’ but “It’s a 2-3 zone with very few match-up principles”. Dan Dakich praised Jim’s ability to “adapt to recruits”. JB: “You have to be flexible and use the players you have. “

Alexander may have seen this tape:

http://www.basketballstore-coachesc...e-guide-to-the-2-3-match-up-zone-defense.html

Tom in Syracuse “had to work to find something to complain about”. Jim: “Wait a couple of weeks.” He wanted to know why CJ Fair took the free throws when Jamie Dixon got called for a technical foul in the Pittsburgh game, rather than Trevor Cooney. Jim: “Cooney was on the bench. You can use a guy on the bench but I prefer to sue someone who is in the game. We shoot free throws at the end of practice and CJ usually makes more than anybody.”

They talked about the three second call early in the Wake Forest game. “Guys are in the lane for 10 seconds against our zone and they don’t call them. They are calling fouls every time somebody goes to the basket whether there is a foul or not. The referees in this game were very fair. They missed some calls for us and they missed some calls for them. “ Are the refs in the ACC calling games differently than the Big East? “Last year they called ‘em closer than the Big East but it’s pretty consistent now.”

Taylor in Syracuse had read the article about the 1966 Duke game and asked Coach to reminisce. “We played pretty well and just couldn’t close it. Duke lost by 4 to Kentucky but their guy, (Bob Verga) was sick. UTEP- Texas Western- won it. If Verga was healthy, it would have been interesting. I played alright- 15 points.”

Sean in Solvay said that 2003 was his freshman year, “So I got off to a good start.” He called the coach a “living legend”. JB: “You’re not a legend if you are still alive. You need your head looking forward to see what’s up next. Syracuse is a good place with a lot of nice people who don’t bother me a lot.”

Gomez talked about the kids in “Boeheimville”. Jim admired their “passion. I’m going to go there tomorrow and say hello.” What I can’t understand is that these kids are camping out in below zero weather not to get ticket but to get the “best seats”. How much better are some seats in the student section than others? Is the different worth frost-bite?

Gomez had read that Jerry Colangelo had cut Jim when he was “a part timer” with the Chicago Bulls. “he got out and got a piece of the Phoenix Suns and alter sold it for $300 million dollars”.

David Stern “is the best commissioner in pro sports history. The league was struggling when he took over and the value of the franchises has doubled or tripled. He’s opened up the international game. He’s a smart, tough guy. You talk with him and your only thought is that he’s a lot smarter than you are.”

John in Pulaski is “sick of all the negativity. People don’t give enough credit to Jim and the boys.” JB: “It’s tough to get credit sometimes. My advice is to just ignore it.”

They went to a break and when they came back, Jim wasn’t there. Matt Park and Gomez field air time the Super Bowl. Somebody is betting about which will be the higher number: the number of seconds it takes to sing the national anthem or the number of passing yards Peyton Manning had. Etc. Etc.

After another break Jim was back, (all that Italian food?). Stewart in Dewitt asked if we’d be seeing “any tricks or surprises” in the Duke game. Yeah, the two winningest coaches of all time are going to throw tricks and surprises at each other. JB: “Duke comes right at you, pretty much straight forward and we do the same. Duke is playing at such a high level. Pitt played well most of that game.

I called in my second question. Jim did not recall stealing T-shirts from the football team “but I think the statute of limitations has run out on that anyway. I do recall that all we got was two ‘club special’ golf balls- the cheapest they could get.”

He never had any discussion with Dolph Schayes about Danny. He first met Dolph when he went to his basketball camp and alter became a counselor there. “He didn’t want Danny to come to Syracuse because of Roosevelt Bouie. His wife wanted Danny to stay home. Kids listen to their mothers. Danny player against Rosey in practice and Rosey pushed him to be great. He was smart but needed to be athletic challenged. And he wound up playing 19 season in the NBA, which is incredible.” Could he have played in tandem with Bouie? “They would have struggled. We played a lot of man to man in those days.”

Gomez pointed out that there were still three undefeated teams at this stage of the season for the first time since 1976. JB: “Arizona could go unbeaten if they beat Cal. Wichita State will likely go unbeaten.” He’d seen some mathematical estimate that Arizona and Wichita State had about a 50-60% chance of going unbeaten though the regular season and “with our schedule we have about 1%. I have felt for years that no team could again do what Indian did in 1976 but now it’s not impossible. I think Arizona has the best team in the country and they’ll be a big favorite to get to the Final Four. Conference games are the big threat. They could have lost to Stanford. Stanford got beat by Pitt by a lot (88-67) so I don’t know exactly how good they are.” So Jim thinks that the biggest challenge to an undefeated season is not the NCAA tournament but the conference schedule. How about the conference tournament?

Kim in Syracuse asked if Derrick Coleman could be brought in as a big man coach. “We have a full staff. Derrick has never coached and would have to get some experience.” Kim added “I really don’t see you losing.” JB: “I hope you’re right.“ What would you do if it happened? “I’d start preparing for next year.”

Gomez complained that the show was ending and they hadn’t even talked about the Notre Dame game on Monday, which will happen before the next show. JB made a rule: “You can only talk about the next game.”

That 3-second call against Christmas was a miscall. Rak was in the lane, jumped out and jumped back in and then the call was made. The ref likely looked away for 1-2 seconds, then looked back and assumed that Rak had stayed in the lane. I am telling you, he might not have been in the lane for more than 2 seconds on either side of his stepping out.

No comments or questions regarding Tyler Ennis' ankle?

Great stuff as always, Steve. 2 questions/comments:

1 - did Jim ever give a "grade" to the guy who asked him to grade his assessment of Duke?

2 - I got a kick out of your "Italian food" comment in response to Jim's disappearance for a bit during the interview. This made me wonder. If Marsh was the coach of team, would Dave and Gomez have to set up the interview in the bathroom every week? :)

2 - I got a kick out of your "Italian food" comment in response to Jim's disappearance for a bit during the interview. This made me wonder. If Marsh was the coach of team, would Dave and Gomez have to set up the interview in the bathroom every week? :)
He stepped away to do an interview with Tim Kurkjian, who was in attendance.

Great stuff as always, Steve. 2 questions/comments:

1 - did Jim ever give a "grade" to the guy who asked him to grade his assessment of Duke?

Regarding #1, no: he just offered his own assessment. You can probably devine the grade from that.

Good he mentioned the tech free throw from CJ in the Pitt game. The chat room was going crazy for that

I am positive jb expects both to return. Whether they will, different story, of course.

I am positive jb expects both to return. Whether they will, different story, of course.
That doesn't make sense. JB has been through this process and has a good handle on what to expect. He wouldn't delude himself into believing something just for the sake of wishful thinking.

What IS possible is that he knows both are gone but for whatever reason he won't admit it publicly. Maybe trying to keep everyone level headed, etc.

That doesn't make sense. JB has been through this process and has a good handle on what to expect. He wouldn't delude himself into believing something just for the sake of wishful thinking.

What IS possible is that he knows both are gone but for whatever reason he won't admit it publicly. Maybe trying to keep everyone level headed, etc.
Or, he believes what he said. That they no where close and need to come back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom