The Landscape has Changed, an Uphill Battle... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Landscape has Changed, an Uphill Battle...

Just because a kid has an offer doesn't mean he has a commitable offer or is a priority recruit. The staff has offered well over 300 prospects just in the 2019 class. It does not mean that SU is in a recruiting battle with G5 schools just because some of those over 300 prospects commits to a G5 school.

I get that, but i see multiple offers where we are , indeed involved in battles with some G4 schools. And again, i cant blame some of these kids for giving a G5 a legit thought. Hope I am wrong. I like the 18 class. Hope it all comes together.

Thanks for the response and I agree with alot of what you had to say. I am not begging for blue chippers. I like targeting the 3* kid hungry to work and succeed. Rosters are made up mostly of 3* players. Thing is, we are losing way too many battles to G5 schools. Losing Lewis is hurting, he was electric.

Wait, who are all the kids that we lost to G5 schools? Did I miss something?

This tweet caught my eye, in the recruiting forum. If its true that there are more recruits coming from the northeast? Good for us. I'll take that landscape change. Maybe we get a few more, regularly, that want to stay closer to home.

Wait, who are all the kids that we lost to G5 schools? Did I miss something?

3 to cincy, 1 to toledo. That's just glancing at page 1 of the recruiting board.

Cincy kids make sense.. 2 very close to Cincy. One 4 hours away, 7 from Cuse. That's important for many kids. Of course, your position is that we should be winning these battles. I agree. It would be nice. I'll just call it an anomaly, at this point. Cincy also had back to back 4-8 years. (yikes) Last year, we got 5 from Fla., 2 from TX, 1 Miss, 1 Cal, 1 AZ, 1 Mich... More than half the class would be better served flying home.

I do think we need to let it play out. We are far behind last year, and it's concerning, but I won't be surprised if we have 10 or so, by the end of the month...(fingers crossed).

If anything, I believe the landscape should be trending in a positive direction. New dome, respectable year, no prob, even if there is a down tick this year.

Wow a panicked and negative thread started by Ish. Shocking. Relax, we got about half our class in Dec and Jan this past year and getting the 8th ranked class in the ACC is pretty impressive for the 14th best freaking program in the ACC. Babers and staff can recruit, that hasn’t disappeared

I think it's it fair to be concerned with where we are at in the recruiting process, at this point. I don't blame him, for wondering why. In looking for an explanation, I just think he's a little off. We'll be fine.

I follow recruiting very very very minimally but one thing I notice is Dino has abandoned New England it seems? I feel like Pasqualoni was at his best when he was picking and choosing kids from New England who wanted to be within a 5 hour drive. There are battles to win vs BC in the prep school world and i feel like we're not playing in that sand box at all. Don Brown at Michigan has made inroads with his UMass background. I know Addazio is as well since he's from the Pasqualoni family tree.

Not pointing fingers at Dino b/c he has the recruiting point up but would love to see someone on the staff with the contacts there to start the dialog again.

Nope

Offers and recruiting are two completely different things. You send out hundreds of offers to potentials, based on their feedback or interest level, you narrow it down and start recruiting... The kids they're really serious about, they are recruiting hard right now.

What were we at last year,mid June? 6-10? Commits, I think. I think that's the root of his concern.

The landscape? Nahh. I don't buy that kids are holding off because the early signing period, either. Asil and Lewis, being gone, back to back 4-8, are my thoughts. Just a slight bump, in the rebuilding process. No worries.

If we are to believe 24 and seven, that there are more and more recruits coming from nearby? If we believe a dome Reno will help, and that we have an improving team? The landscape is improving.

The roster is much improved, as a result of the recruiting Babers & staff have done in the recent 3 cycles. Our landscape has challenges, but the staff has dealt with the same challenges in building the roster to what we have. In my opinion, we are in better shape entering this season than we have been since 2012.

For this cycle, we are a tad behind the curve (obviously, with one commit), and more importantly judged by the attendance at our camps and visitors to our campus. Making a prospect's top 7 means nothing, unless he schedules a visit.

But wait 6 weeks -- the storyline is only at the beginning.

What were we at last year,mid June? 6-10? Commits, I think. I think that's the root of his concern.

The landscape? Nahh. I don't buy that kids are holding off because the early signing period, either. Asil and Lewis, being gone, back to back 4-8, are my thoughts. Just a slight bump, in the rebuilding process. No worries.

If we are to believe 24 and seven, that there are more and more recruits coming from nearby? If we believe a dome Reno will help, and that we have an improving team? The landscape is improving.
By this date last year SU had 6 commits and 3 of those didn't make it or decommitted. That's why no one should get concerned this early in the commitment period.

Nope

I think the human aspect of kids wanting to play close to home is a real thing. That's why i brought it up. I went to the same high school as Ryan LaCasse and it was a factor for him coming to Syracuse.

I think the human aspect of kids wanting to play close to home is a real thing. That's why i brought it up. I went to the same high school as Ryan LaCasse and it was a factor for him coming to Syracuse.

Sorry that I didn’t elaborate. I think DB is recruiting the NE just fine. I don’t think he’s abondining the area. I think we need ACC caliber athletes and to do so we cast a wide net. Unlike the last 2 coaches, he’s unwilling to take gambles on local talent *where the defining characteristic is that they are local NE players*...

This is just my opinion - but in evaluating kids and placing them in tiers, I’d leave off what state they play in and just look at relative comp.

I also think it’s different for each kid. Some want to play close to home some want to go. But either way the 1st question should always be “can they play vs Clemson at some point in their time here”

The roster is much improved, as a result of the recruiting Babers & staff have done in the recent 3 cycles. Our landscape has challenges, but the staff has dealt with the same challenges in building the roster to what we have. In my opinion, we are in better shape entering this season than we have been since 2012.

For this cycle, we are a tad behind the curve (obviously, with one commit), and more importantly judged by the attendance at our camps and visitors to our campus. Making a prospect's top 7 means nothing, unless he schedules a visit.

But wait 6 weeks -- the storyline is only at the beginning.

I think your post in the SU golf outing on Babers comments about recruiting is worth noting here...

" Said his recruiting goal is to land prospects better than what he has on the roster, and that was easier to do in his first classes here. Now, with an improved roster, it is not so easy, and he is being selective. The staff is out at the camps, will host their own camp -- there should be recruiting news by the end of the month. "

That certainly doesn't make it sound like they are in recruiting battles with G5 schools.

I think your post in the SU golf outing on Babers comments about recruiting is worth noting here...

" Said his recruiting goal is to land prospects better than what he has on the roster, and that was easier to do in his first classes here. Now, with an improved roster, it is not so easy, and he is being selective. The staff is out at the camps, will host their own camp -- there should be recruiting news by the end of the month. "

That certainly doesn't make it sound like they are in recruiting battles with G5 schools.
Please...leave your logic, reason and common sense at the door. Misery loves company.

Interesting topic to discuss. Here are my thoughts:

Syracuse has always generally had an uphill battle with respect to recruiting. When we've transcended that issue, it was due to having a "unique" system, and targeting profiles that fit the system. We lacked the depth on the roster that other teams had, but there was a time during the end of the Coach Mac / the first 2/3 of the Coach P era where our skilled talent was on par even with elite teams. Although we rarely put it together [and seemed to always have an extra loss or two that you wouldn't expect], we had some pretty good teams that played a pretty exciting brand of ball, and the recruiting followed suit.

Our program has generally been down since the early 2000s. With the exception of a small handful of seasons, we're approaching near two decades of futility. Having poor results and sustained poor performance has made it even more challenging to recruit. But here are three things that are important to keep in mind:
  1. No matter how much success we have, we're never going to consistently be able to go toe-to-toe with top P5 programs on the recruiting trail. Guys here and there? Sure. But anyone benchmarking that as our equilibrium point of whether recruiting is going well is bound to be perpetually disappointed.
  2. It is far more important for a program like ours to establish an identity, and then recruit to that profile [think: Boise State]. Having a solid system in place -- and the right personnel -- is going to be what catapults us back into the top 25, not trying to compete with the likes of PSU for blue chip talent.
  3. Despite what I state in point #2 above, given Babers's exciting style of offensive play it isn't difficult to envision us landing blue chip caliber skilled talent soon -- we're actually starting to see that manifest, even before we're seeing the results on the field.
I don't think things are quite as bleak as you seem to. And I wouldn't put too much stock into what Rvls and Skowt databases say, or gauge how well recruiting is going based upon those websites.

Trust the process -- we have a head coach who knows what he is doing, has a proven track record of success, and has the chops / charisma to be a dynamic recruiter.

Not to mention, a bowl game is what I expect this year. Just imagine what will happen when our HC and this staff have some success to pitch on the recruiting trail...
This ^^^. Good post.

Wow a panicked and negative thread started by Ish. Shocking. Relax, we got about half our class in Dec and Jan this past year and getting the 8th ranked class in the ACC is pretty impressive for the 14th best freaking program in the ACC. Babers and staff can recruit, that hasn’t disappeared

Nah...not as
I also think it’s different for each kid. Some want to play close to home some want to go. But either way the 1st question should always be “can they play vs Clemson at some point in their time here”

Don't think playing close to home is huge. If it's the trend, then we are in trouble given our geography. Look at most rosters, they are filled with players coast to coast, Canada to Texas. You commit to where you are the best fit, not where mom and dad can drive 2 hrs to see you play. If both meet, then that's perfection.

He can pose and say all he wants. At the end of the day he has gotten beat by G5 teams. Its fine to admit, it happens to the best of coaches and recruiters. I have outlined the attractiveness of playing G5. If we are gonna believe that dino deep down didn't want some of these recruits that committed elsewhere is crazy. An offer is an offer, kids are offered for reasons. This whole yea, i asked her to the prom, but i really didnt dig her that much after she goes with another dude, is laughable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom