The masses are catching on | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The masses are catching on

Status
Not open for further replies.
JB was flat out lying. He simply doesn’t want to hit the portal for high profile players. Period. He hates it and won’t do it. They money thing is total and complete BS.

Plus, why would you signal to the rest of CBB that you won’t try to land anyone from the portal if it takes money? Talk about undercutting your attractiveness. What are we, a frigging MAAC program now?

What a joke.

And this from the interview regarding recruiting: "We've been doing the same thing for 30 years." Umm...is it working?

And this from the interview regarding recruiting: "We've been doing the same thing for 30 years." Umm...is it working?
That quote reminds me of my first day of corporate training back in 1996. The CIO was talking and proudly stated that the system was still running on code he wrote back in 1968! I whispered to the guy next to me..."is that a good thing?" It wasn't and I spent the next 17 years trying to band aid that system.

Well if you’re unwilling or unable to compete then retire.

My firm really struggled getting new business after COVID. We realized we couldn’t do the same things we did before covid. So we hired a marketing coordinator as a direct employee and he got us to a good place in a short amount of time.

If we didn’t change we’d be dead, why don’t dinosaurs understand.

JB was flat out lying. He simply doesn’t want to hit the portal for high profile players. Period. He hates it and won’t do it. They money thing is total and complete BS.

Plus, why would you signal to the rest of CBB that you won’t try to land anyone from the portal if it takes money? Talk about undercutting your attractiveness. What are we, a frigging MAAC program now?

What a joke.
Agreed, and I dont understand why he hates it? It's a shorter recruitment, weeks instead of year plus with a high school kid. Minimal travel as opposed to frequent travel to a recruits games and in home visits, etc.

And the 2nd part of what you said, hes basically saying the kids don't find me cool unless I can get them their allowance money. I have no personality to connect with them anymore. These are serious red flags of someone who is not committed to putting 100% effort.

My dad is almost the same age as JB- within about 6 months. It's really amazing how debating JB would be about the same as debating my dad on something. My mom just gives me the "let it go, don't start anything" look.

It'd be smart for some of the assistants to start distancing themselves from this. Otherwise they have no shot at being HC here.
I dont know how they do that while not appearing to undermine JB

Ive heard rumors of frustration, that JB does not listen to them, etc, I am a little surprised, none of the 3 havent left for a lateral career move at this point.

If this doesnt improve and JW goes outside, they might struggle to find other landing spots

1669991571709.png

this is from 2001-02 through 2021-22.

We had a bunch of football players being recruited $$$ by other schools and they all stayed...
JB is using $$$ as an excuse. It’s not money. The reason people won’t come here is because he’s been known to be difficult to play for. If you are not the chosen one you might not see the court. The min distribution and zone sre big recruiting problems right now. This is all charades

Oh gosh...
Sets wise I'm pretty sure we're not running stuff that's much different now than we have been in recent years.

Difference is we don't have as good outside shooters, and Judah is better getting by his man. That's about it.

Otherwise, the same lack of crispness and urgency is all still there. We don't make it easy on ourselves. I don't get it. Lots of purposelessness.

Sets wise I'm pretty sure we're not running stuff that's much different now than we have been in recent years.

Difference is we don't have as good outside shooters, and Judah is better getting by his man. That's about it.

Otherwise, the same lack of crispness and urgency is all still there. We don't make it easy on ourselves. I don't get it. Lots of purposelessness.
A lot of times we observe that our offense looks like 5 on 6. That's because they're mostly running 20 year old plays and improvising otherwise. That's why it looks like a pick-up team when compared to well-coached offenses. SU players are constantly reacting to the ball, thinking about what to do next instead of being proactive and moving before the pass is made. There's no system to beat the defense to the spot. Good NBA prospects can get away with that in college, but even then a good defense can mitigate them. Some of those clips posted to twitter are good examples of guys just getting in each other's way while trying to create an offense on the fly.

It's definitely worked out for Cole. Probably would have for Bacot and Love too... and yet.
Very different situations. Love had to believe he could get into the first round discussion by coming back. TBD if that’ll ultimately happen but he almost certainly felt that way. Bacot probably can’t improve his low draft stock but he gets to come back and compete for a national championship. Very different from coming back to compete for an NIT or CBI birth while also having very little chance of improving your draft stock.

It'd be smart for some of the assistants to start distancing themselves from this. Otherwise they have no shot at being HC here.
Have wondered about mindset of the assistants-
Former players that bleed orange, but this sinking ship impacts their resumes/careers.
Doubt they're enjoying their work, and a HC that treats them like spectators during games.
They have to be considering this, and their options.
If JB stays yet another season, maybe an exodus of assistant sideways moves sends a message to ADJW.

For giggles, I graphed our KenPom ranking for each season to present. Obviously, this season can change, but I'm not sure how much better it could get - maybe into the 60s? ETA: I used KP's ranking because it is neutral and relative to the strength of college basketball that season.

That's a 3-season moving average on there. When 40 is the best we can hope for ...
1669999332854.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online