The Most Underrated Team in my Recent Memory | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Most Underrated Team in my Recent Memory

Some of you guys are funny!
I used to get upset reading some of our fair weather "fan's" postings.

Now, it's just funny. But please, jump right back on the train whenever you feel the timing is right.
How do you think the team, if they read some of this, would feel about all of the doubt from their own fan base?
We are going to be a team that has a great run this year.

Deal with it. Or take a nap. You might be a little cranky. ;)

I never got off the train. I have a feeling this is going to be a very good team. Very good.

Boeheim doesn't take transfers lightly. They're either going to play and play well or he doesn't bother. Mike G. will be more than capable. While frosh guards don't typically light up the nets, transfers and red shirt sophs can. I wasn't Cooney's biggest fan, but if he clicks and starts burying 'em at 35%+ off bench (along with Grant dunkin' and making people look silly), this could be an excellent offensive team.

Ennis didn't come to SU because he had no where else to go. He committed knowing that he was going to be starting and getting minutes because MCW was going to the NBA. Boeheim and Hop recruited him knowing that they would need a PG that would be capable of playing 30 minutes right from the word go.

They're 6 experienced players deep, plus Ennis and that's without even getting contributions from Roberson (a beast), Buss, and BJ. Chin could very well get some gametime, but I doubt it.

A team that hasn't played a game yet definitely is the most underrated team in recent memory.

I think we'll probably be relaly good, but I agree the most with Moqui so far in this thread. (Maybe I don't have the hang of this thread though)

There are waaaaaaay too many question marks to think this is a top 5 team.

Freshman PG
Transfer SG that may or may not find success
Good, potentially great, forward duo, but only if Grant make the leap
Offensive questions at the C position. Will we get anything out of them this year?
3 point shooting is ummm, meh?
It's possible we'll have to rely on a bunch of frosh
My biggest concern is how big of a step back our defense will take. We were phenomenal there last year, and two newcomers up top will have to learn on the job.

My problem with some of this is that neither do the teams that are ahead of Syracuse in the preseason polls. I'm going to use Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Duke and Arizona as the top 5 I've seen. If someone knows of another team that I'm forgetting please let me know.

Starting with point guard...Louisville has none. They have Russ Smith, Hancock and a freshman combo guard. So they have a super quick kid incapable of making decisions, a spot up shooter who isn't that athletic and a freshman just like we have only theirs isn't a true point guard. Michigan State has no returning point guard only a shooting guard and last year they had more turnovers than assists on the year. Duke has two guards coming back but they are small. I think they will be fine. My point is that having a top 5 recruit at their position coming in as a freshman is a lot better than some peoples situations. I could do this for some of the other concerns but I don't have the time today. Two other things I will say is that getting offense out of the center position is not a concern and not something we have to have. DC2 offensively will be better than anything we had last year when we made the final 4.

Gbinije sat out a year in college and did 5 years in highschool. He could have been a senior.
Cooney sat out a year technically he could be a jr, and Ron had a extra year in highschool and could be a sophmore. We aren't as young as some will think.

Gbinije sat out a year in college and did 5 years in highschool. He could have been a senior.
Cooney sat out a year technically he could be a jr, and Ron had a extra year in highschool and could be a sophmore. We aren't as young as some will think.
That's why there is Baby Face Johnson to balance out the lethal attack from the ole heads. ;) For all intense purposes he could be a junior in high school this year.

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein 18m Have talked to several ACC coaches who feel Syracuse will wind up winning the league. Orange have young guards, but are LOADED up front, led by 7-2 wunderkind Jerami Grant
;)

Some of you guys are funny!
I used to get upset reading some of our fair weather "fan's" postings.

Now, it's just funny. But please, jump right back on the train whenever you feel the timing is right.
How do you think the team, if they read some of this, would feel about all of the doubt from their own fan base?
We are going to be a team that has a great run this year.

Deal with it. Or take a nap. You might be a little cranky. ;)

That video got me too excited for this year. I really think we have a shot at the Final Four again.

Another good one on Bilas. He dropped us (just beat #1 Louisville) from the week before!
http://syracusefan.com/threads/now-thats-more-like-it.42648/#post-502840
Read from the top. :rolleyes:
are you seriously going to argue that, because you disagree with a couple of his weekly rankings, that Bilas is actually biased against the Orange? Being wrong is not the same thing as being biased. We all know that Bilas slathers SU & JB with more love than anyone on TV.

But please, jump right back on the train whenever you feel the timing is right.

with the obvious exceptions of Igor and Blue Curtain, nobody who regularly posts to this board is "off the train." I would even say that few of them are fair weather fans - not even the overly excitable ones who proclaim doom when the team gets down 7-2 in the first 5 minutes. of course we are all hoping that the handful of questions about this team are answered and the Orange have a successful regular season with a deep post season run.

it seems everywhere I look, the Orange are somewhere between 8 and 12 in the early early pre-season rankings. I am mystified at how that could be considered underrated at all (let alone "most underrated" compared to the unranked 2010 juggernaut), given what most of us concede are legitimate questions.

are you seriously going to argue that, because you disagree with a couple of his weekly rankings, that Bilas is actuallybiased against the Orange? Being wrong is not the same thing as being biased. We all know that Bilas slathers SU & JB with more love than anyone on TV.

I think there are some people who expect that every single talking head should do nothing but shower SU with love every second they are on the air/in print. Anything less makes them a hater.

Yeah not sure where that came from...I think CJ is going to be a legit ACCPOY candidate.

Andy was good, but come on. He was a good defensive player, and a one dimensional offensive player.

I think there are some people who expect that every single talking head should do nothing but shower SU with love every second they are on the air/in print. Anything less makes them a hater.
It doesn't hurt. But no, you're right. People who doubt and find fault with "their team" have the better way of it.
3378-bfc6f5dbdfba47a25af88f0fd33f4934.png

are you seriously going to argue that, because you disagree with a couple of his weekly rankings, that Bilas is actually biased against the Orange? Being wrong is not the same thing as being biased. We all know that Bilas slathers SU & JB with more love than anyone on TV.

with the obvious exceptions of Igor and Blue Curtain, nobody who regularly posts to this board is "off the train." I would even say that few of them are fair weather fans - not even the overly excitable ones who proclaim doom when the team gets down 7-2 in the first 5 minutes. of course we are all hoping that the handful of questions about this team are answered and the Orange have a successful regular season with a deep post season run.

it seems everywhere I look, the Orange are somewhere between 8 and 12 in the early early pre-season rankings. I am mystified at how that could be considered underrated at all (let alone "most underrated" compared to the unranked 2010 juggernaut), given what most of us concede are legitimate questions.
First of all, it's not you, meaning just me. One of those threads was started by another person, directed specifically at Bilas and I am not the only one who mentions this. But yeah, after beating Louisville, then ranked #1 does not deserve a LOWER ranking than the week prior considering we won every game that week and dethroned the #1 team in the country.

Do you really think we deserved a lower ranking after that?
WOW!
tee - Copy (3).jpg

It doesn't hurt. But no, you're right. People who doubt and find fault with "their team" have the better way of it.
View attachment 4229

If the only two options are to try and be objective or to just always assume the best no matter what and call people haters when they disagree, then I'm happy taking the first option.

But yeah, after beating Louisville, then ranked #1 does not deserve aLOWER ranking than the week prior considering we won every game that week and dethroned the #1 team in the country.

I can't find the rankings now, did he rank us lower than the week before, or just lower than Louisville? Lower than the week before would seem pretty odd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom