The Most Underrated Team in my Recent Memory | Syracusefan.com

The Most Underrated Team in my Recent Memory

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Syracuse basketball 2013-2014.

I find no, 0, reason to believe that we won't be a top five caliber team all year long. We are ABSOLUTELY STACKED, in the best of ways. I say in the best of ways because we are NOT UK, we have a brilliant coach who knows how to deal with a lot of talent, and only limit it to 5 bodies at a time.

We have the tallest team in the league.

We have arguably the most athletic team in the league.

We have a chip on our shoulders (CJ, Rak, Ennis, Buss, BJ, Roberson, Coleman, Keita, etc. I could make a case for all of them).

We have experience. Players who have been within reach of the National Championship not once but twice.

Are only problem that we can feasibly be a little concerned about is the point guard position.

However, we have a top 5 guard recruit, and an ACC Duke transfer with handles at a height of what 6'6?

We don't know whose going to play the 5 spot. Why? Because we have 3 players who could start at center on 98% of the teams in the nation.

We have the most loaded forward class I've ever seen.

We can and will score.

I could but won't rant more...

So lastly...

THE ZONE IS EVEN LONGER
300_2189613.jpg

In this thread I want nothing but discussion on why we will be dominant. This is a thread of confidence not speculation. This and next year will be our years.

The force is strong with you, and this team!
We make a run this year, no doubt in my mind.

I like our defense, I love our forwards. If our guards can steady our offense, control the ball, the Final Four is within reach.
More importantly, I like what you brought up. Tournament tested and we will play with a chip on our shoulder and shove it in the face of doubters.

Please doubt us. Only makes us hungrier, angrier.

Why...in gods name is my Dwight Schrute picture blocked?

I'd like to take the last part first and the first part last, Alex

In this thread I want nothing but discussion on why we will be dominant.

good luck with that

I find no, 0, reason to believe that we won't be a top five caliber team all year long.
here is a short and reasonable list of reasons why SU is not considered by neutral observers to be a top five team going into the season
  1. lack of a proven point guard
  2. lack of depth at the point in case of injury or foul trouble
  3. lack of experience at the top of the zone
  4. lack of proven three point shooters
  5. lack of a proven post scorer
now, personally I believe that White Hot and SBD will prove to be very effective at the top of the zone, that we have reason to believe that adequate 3 point shooting will be found, and that DC (at least) will turn into a solid low post scorer . . . but item 2 and to a lesser extent 1 will be cause for concern all season long.

I'd like to take the last part first and the first part last, Alex

good luck with that

here is a short and reasonable list of reasons why SU is not considered by neutral observers to be a top five team going into the season
  1. lack of a proven point guard
  2. lack of depth at the point in case of injury or foul trouble
  3. lack of experience at the top of the zone
  4. lack of proven three point shooters
  5. lack of a proven post scorer
now, personally I believe that White Hot and SBD will prove to be very effective at the top of the zone, that we have reason to believe that adequate 3 point shooting will be found, and that DC (at least) will turn into a solid low post scorer . . . but item 2 and to a lesser extent 1 will be cause for concern all season long.

While I don't disagree with most of what you said, I have to bring up the bolded part.
Neutral observers? Please, give me just one name of an ESPN "analyst" that fits the bill.
Neutral observers? Now I've seen everything!

Some might not agree with that. Some who didn't realize Kenturkey had a reality show last year. LOL

1 and 2. That is our main concern, however we've combatted that as best we could. We have one of the top point guard recruits coming in whose touted as a natural leader. We also have brought in a player whose already had a year of experience in the ACC in Silent G. He was not originally a point guard. However, after a year of adapting and practicing in practice...if Ennis, god forbid, is injured I feel a little better that we have Silent G who could step in.

3. Lack of experience is much harder to deal with when your zone isn't composed of 4 6'6 + super athletes and one menace like Ennis. Ennis the Menace...good god I slay myself.

4. Fair hopefully will continue his 3 point shooting at a 40% mark. I'm sure Grant has been working on his shot, though we don't need him to shoot 3's. Ennis, Patterson, Johnson and Silent G are all supposedly solid range shooters. Whose to say also that Cooney doesn't surprise us all.

Also, it's nice having Grant, Fair, Keita, Christmas, Roberson and Coleman downlow so we don't have to rely on the longball as much as past years. I'm confident in Fair, Grant and Coleman scoring downlow.

5. Grant and Coleman. I have faith. Hopefully Christmas find the motor he needs as well.

Re: #5. Trueblue... Motors are hard to improve. I'm not sure a fire can be lit under #25.

Also, it's nice having Grant, Fair, Keita, Christmas, Roberson and Coleman downlow so we don't have to rely on the longball as much as past years. I'm confident in Fair, Grant and Coleman scoring downlow.
Agree. We will have a better low post presence than recent years.
CJ, DC2, Roberson and Grant will convert in the paint.

As a comparison,
We lose Southerland - who didn't really do much inside to be honest.
We get Roberson and what I'm hoping are improved inside players in Grant and DC2.
CJ will do his damage inside and out, and I believe we will get what we were lacking in the past few seasons.
Guys who can convert and get to the foul line.

How are the new guys FT shooting wise?

I expect Fair above 78 to 80%
Cooney around 80
Grant around 70
God only knows for our centers.

Please, give me just one name of an ESPN "analyst" that fits the bill.
well, first of all, ESPN is not the only game in town.

second of all, I will gladly take your challenge: Bradford Doolittle. And, as a bonus, I will throw in Jay Bilas (who, if anything, is biased in favor of the Orange.
4. Fair hopefully will continue his 3 point shooting at a 40% mark. I'm sure Grant has been working on his shot, though we don't need him to shoot 3's. Ennis, Patterson, Johnson and Silent G are all supposedly solid range shooters. Whose to say also that Cooney doesn't surprise us all..
#4 was lack of proven outside shooters . . . which you just basically confirmed. and, btw, 3 pt. shooting is not just hitting a few at a high percentage. A team needs guys who can run through a few screens and take them off a curl, or on a pick & pop, etc. CJ was excellent at taking & making occasional open threes, but he's not the kind of three point shooter you need to open up the interior game.

and, once again, #5 was about proven low post scoring. not one of those guys is a proven,consistent low post threat (you will come back with CJ and JG, but the ability to score inside is not the same thing as being a post threat). this just underlines the fact that your "wire to wire Top Five" is nothing but a wish & a prayer.

as I noted, I think 3, 4 and 5 will end up being in our favor, but there is absolutely no reason for an outside observer to just take your assertions as gospel truth and judge the lineup at Top 5 today.

I think this surpasses the 2010 team.
that team had outstanding lead guard play both on the court (Rautins) and off the bench (Scoop). It had outstanding three point shooting from two positions (Rautins and Wes), one of whom was the best Orangeman ever at hitting off the curl. It had the best low post scorer in a generation (Arinze) and a very good second option. It had the best defender ever at the top of the zone (Rautins) and the best weak side defender ever at the bottom (Wes).

It had all five of the elements (experienced point, depth at point, top of the zone experience, proven three point shooters and proven post scoring) that this squad - at the moment - may be missing. I think the 2010 team was the best we've ever put on the floor. If this squad is 90% of that - and they could be - we'll all be happy.

I think this surpasses the 2010 team.

How can a team that's going to be ranked between 6 and 12 in the preseason be more underrated than a team that was unranked and eventually reached #1?

I'm really, really worried about the team three point shooting. I do agree that the raw materials are there for this team to collectively shoot it more effectively than last season, but...

Gbinije is unproven. I think he'll be very good, but it remains to be seen. Cooney did everything better than expected last year, except what we probably needed him to provide most: consistent three point shooting. Ennis is unproven at this level. Ditto Bus / BJ.

Now, I believe that this crew is capable of stepping up. I would expect Gbinije and Cooney to shoot it at a reasonable consistency, but then again I expected the same thing from senior Brandon Triche last year, and we know how that turned out.

I think that CJ and Grant will prove to be fine complimentary three point shooters, but we really need the backcourt to show that they can knock some down.

My opinion only, but that [along with backcourt inexperience] will be the two biggest factors that could inhibit next year's team.

well, first of all, ESPN is not the only game in town.
second of all, I will gladly take your challenge: Bradford Doolittle. And, as a bonus, I will throw in Jay Bilas (who, if anything, is biased in favor of the Orange.
Ok, I will give you Doolittle. But you might not be remembering Bilas that well.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/espn-power-rankings-What-jay-bilas.42663/

I have better thread and will try to find. But when we were undefeated, ranked us at least 10 slots lower than everyone else!
I am being conservative on that. But if I can find the power ranking for that week, you will understand if looking at it impartially.

Still, you did give me one!

2010 was great and all but lets not give them the Harold Houdini award just yet, they did lose to a terribly cruddy Lewisville team twice. This years team is going to be great !

There are waaaaaaay too many question marks to think this is a top 5 team.

Freshman PG
Transfer SG that may or may not find success
Good, potentially great, forward duo, but only if Grant make the leap
Offensive questions at the C position. Will we get anything out of them this year?
3 point shooting is ummm, meh?
It's possible we'll have to rely on a bunch of frosh
My biggest concern is how big of a step back our defense will take. We were phenomenal there last year, and two newcomers up top will have to learn on the job.

There are waaaaaaay too many question marks to think this is a top 5 team.

Freshman PG
Transfer SG that may or may not find success
Good, potentially great, forward duo, but only if Grant make the leap
Offensive questions at the C position. Will we get anything out of them this year?
3 point shooting is ummm, meh?
It's possible we'll have to rely on a bunch of frosh
My biggest concern is how big of a step back our defense will take. We were phenomenal there last year, and two newcomers up top will have to learn on the job.
Man I can't wait! We are going to be great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom