The numbers are staggering | Syracusefan.com

The numbers are staggering

T

tee1222

People might have brought this up here and there, but have a look at the following links.

(Team Stats By Year)
(Points Per, Opp)
Syracuse University Athletics - 2016-2017 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics
76.3, 71.1
Syracuse University Athletics - 2015-2016 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics
70.0, 65.1
Syracuse University Athletics - 2014-2015 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics
67.6, 63.4
Syracuse University Athletics - 2013-2014 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics
68.0, 59.2
Syracuse University Athletics - 2012-2013 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics
70.4, 58.7

In bold are highs and lows.
So, first off, it's obvious the trend went from defense to offense. Both sliding up and nearly by the year. But we topped out at Opp 58.7 and went all the way to Opp 71.1 last year? That's gotta hurt.

It's just my opinion, but it seems that we were getting away from our bread and butter. I know this hurts the Jimmy bashers, but we were a defensive team and did well with it. Last year was just the opposite.

So they did change their recruiting style as an adjustment this year after all. Dolezaj, Brissett and Sidibe give us some athleticism and guys that will contest shots. Yes, they need to get stronger. But they are most likely sticking around and will improve their conditioning. I personally believe the staff adjusted to get back to what we do well.

Add a 6'4 guard and we might have some decent pieces to get back to where we were. So let's give these new guys a shot. I think we see a different look from last year and that might turn out to be refreshing, no disrespect to AW, JG, etc. I loved those guys, but I really want a defensive, athletic team again with JB at the helm. That's how he rolls. And more importantly, that's how we win!

Playing guys out of position and not having had a good defensive Center since Rak (who couldn't even play good D due to foul trouble most the time) has killed the zone. Lydon did what he could but he was no Center. We all know how bad TT was in the middle. SF has been an issue on defense, too. Malachi was not a bad defender but he was undersized at SF, especially for the zone. He could get steals and intercept passes but couldn't challenge guys at the rim, which is bad since the zone relies on both Forwards being able to handle rotations to the paint. Andrew White had the size at SF but not the quickness or athleticism. Again, for most of the season he didn't/couldn't challenge guys at the rim.

This is why I'm so adamant that we need to see true Centers playing the 5 most of the time this season. I think both Forward positions are in good shape defensively and the guards look alright. Center is going to be the difference maker. Either TT needs to make a big leap on the defensive end or the coaches need to see if he can cut it at PF while Sidibe and/or Chukwu handle most of the business of sending shots 4 rows into the stands.

Fully agree about the Center position. I hope TT can "own" one of those two positions cause we need his offense. But yeah, our defense doesn't click without a good anchor to protect the rim.

People might have brought this up here and there, but have a look at the following links.

(Team Stats By Year)
(Points Per, Opp)
Syracuse University Athletics - 2016-2017 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics
76.3, 71.1
Syracuse University Athletics - 2015-2016 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics
70.0, 65.1
Syracuse University Athletics - 2014-2015 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics
67.6, 63.4
Syracuse University Athletics - 2013-2014 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics
68.0, 59.2
Syracuse University Athletics - 2012-2013 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics
70.4, 58.7

In bold are highs and lows.
So, first off, it's obvious the trend went from defense to offense. Both sliding up and nearly by the year. But we topped out at Opp 58.7 and went all the way to Opp 71.1 last year? That's gotta hurt.

It's just my opinion, but it seems that we were getting away from our bread and butter. I know this hurts the Jimmy bashers, but we were a defensive team and did well with it. Last year was just the opposite.

So they did change their recruiting style as an adjustment this year after all. Dolezaj, Brissett and Sidibe give us some athleticism and guys that will contest shots. Yes, they need to get stronger. But they are most likely sticking around and will improve their conditioning. I personally believe the staff adjusted to get back to what we do well.

Add a 6'4 guard and we might have some decent pieces to get back to where we were. So let's give these new guys a shot. I think we see a different look from last year and that might turn out to be refreshing, no disrespect to AW, JG, etc. I loved those guys, but I really want a defensive, athletic team again with JB at the helm. That's how he rolls. And more importantly, that's how we win!
"Add a 6'4 guard" ... um yeah, just got THAT done. ;)

Playing guys out of position and not having had a good defensive Center since Rak (who couldn't even play good D due to foul trouble most the time) has killed the zone. Lydon did what he could but he was no Center. We all know how bad TT was in the middle. SF has been an issue on defense, too. Malachi was not a bad defender but he was undersized at SF, especially for the zone. He could get steals and intercept passes but couldn't challenge guys at the rim, which is bad since the zone relies on both Forwards being able to handle rotations to the paint. Andrew White had the size at SF but not the quickness or athleticism. Again, for most of the season he didn't/couldn't challenge guys at the rim.

This is why I'm so adamant that we need to see true Centers playing the 5 most of the time this season. I think both Forward positions are in good shape defensively and the guards look alright. Center is going to be the difference maker. Either TT needs to make a big leap on the defensive end or the coaches need to see if he can cut it at PF while Sidibe and/or Chukwu handle most of the business of sending shots 4 rows into the stands.
Bingo. I just posted that, and have said the same thing to anyone who'll listen. If Chukwu/Sidibe can take most of the minutes at the 5, block shots/rebound and provide SOME scoring ... this team goes to a different level. TT can then move over to the 4 and he's perfect there ... with size and floor spacing. For SF, can run Dolezaj/Brissett at still have Moyer back up PF.

TT is going to play 30 mpg at center this year.

I don't understand why posters have such a hard time excepting this.

I don't have trouble *accepting it, I just don't agree with it. I like Centers to play Center. TT is not a Center. He'll play there, but that's not his position.

I respect both of you guys, but I have a hard time believing he'll play those kind of minutes based on what I've seen so far.

Do you remember what you saw when Chukwu played last year? :p

I know TT is not a traditional center and played bad defense but he played and played a lot while being one of the highest percentage shooters we had. And that was taking a lot of long 2's.

TT is going to play 30 mpg at center this year.
And if he does, we're in trouble. We need his scoring, but better to mask his defensive liabilities on the wing than at center (we'll get killed on the glass and he'll give up more points than he scores). Obviously, this only works if Sidibe/Chukwu are functional.

Chukwu isn't the one I'm hanging my hat on. I like Sidibe's game a lot.

I like Sidibe as well and I think he winds up getting the center minutes TT doesn't play.

Do you remember what you saw when Chukwu played last year? :p

I know TT is not a traditional center and played bad defense but he played and played a lot while being one of the highest percentage shooters we had. And that was taking a lot of long 2's.

I just took a shower before that post and for some reason my waterlogged brain thought you and Tiny were talking about Chukwu.

I agree Chukwu is a project...not unlike the proposed Mexican border wall...it may never happen

I like Sidibe as well and I think he winds up getting the center minutes TT doesn't play.
Here's hoping that happens early and often (we'll be a much better team IMO). ;)

Here's hoping that happens early and often (we'll be a much better team IMO). ;)

Perhaps but I think people are selling TT short as a talent. He got into camp very late and started out trying to learn the wing. He was then thrown into the fire at the 5 and being honest he was horrid on defense there. Still he showed a level off offensive play that we very rarely see in a true freshman big. I think he will be better on both ends.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom