The official starting lineup thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The official starting lineup thread

Call me crazy, but I don't think either Gillon or White will start. Both come off the bench. They'll get minutes, no doubt but not in starting.

Call me crazy, but I don't think either Gillon or White will start. Both come off the bench. They'll get minutes, no doubt but not in starting.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: ;)

I could see one of them coming off the bench but not both. I think without them you simply put toooooooo much pressure on Battle and Lydon to score in that starting line up of Howard, Battle, Lydon, Roberson, Coleman.

I don't get it either. Let's sit him because he can offer something the other front court starters don't. Let's sit him because he's a great guy who can handle it better than the other guys. (Roby) Sit him because he's our most versitle player. (He can be just as versitle starting)

"If I had anyone else" how soon we forget. All these reasons to me are excuses to start Roby. I like the guy especially when he plays hard he will be a big part of the team but I don't understand why so many go way out of their way logically to have him starting. He's a returning starter and a senior but he always started out of necessity.

I'm not trying to dump on any specific posters opinion as plenty of posters I consider knowledgeable and insightful have Roby starting over Lydon. I just cannot wrap my head around it, maybe I'm the crazy one who knows?

I would ask those sitting Lydon to look at it as choosing Roby over Lydon to start at the 4, because IMO that is what your doing and that makes zero sense to me.

Here are my thoughts:

The starting lineup doesn't matter at Syracuse, it only matters to certain players. I'm sure all the players would like to start but it only bothers a few if they don't. We all know that minutes matter.

It's my view that Roberson is better suited to be a starter. He's a very mechanical/ robotic player and I'm afraid if his batteries aren't on to start the game, he might struggle. As others have mentioned, it might not be a great look to bring in fifth year transfers and then bring them in off the bench. Gillon's very passionate when he talks about wanting to start and considering himself a starter. Therefore, think both of them start.

I stand by my point that Lydon's versatility makes him a better bench candidate. If he starts at the 4, Roberson would be on the bench. When Roberson is called upon, he only has one possible position: the 4. Lydon could enter at 3 positions and that gives JB a lot of options. Lydon could start at the 3 but then White would start at the 2 and that should go to Battle, who is not our best point guard option.

The other possibility is maybe JB does go with a starting backcourt of Battle and White and changes things up at the first timeout. But again, that means Gillon doesn't start and that's a bad look.

Here are my thoughts:

The starting lineup doesn't matter at Syracuse, it only matters to certain players. I'm sure all the players would like to start but it only bothers a few if they don't. We all know that minutes matter.

It's my view that Roberson is better suited to be a starter. He's a very mechanical/ robotic player and I'm afraid if his batteries aren't on to start the game, he might struggle. As others have mentioned, it might not be a great look to bring in fifth year transfers and then bring them in off the bench. Gillon's very passionate when he talks about wanting to start and considering himself a starter. Therefore, think both of them start.

I stand by my point that Lydon's versatility makes him a better bench candidate. If he starts at the 4, Roberson would be on the bench. When Roberson is called upon, he only has one possible position: the 4. Lydon could enter at 3 positions and that gives JB a lot of options. Lydon could start at the 3 but then White would start at the 2 and that should go to Battle, who is not our best point guard option.

The other possibility is maybe JB does go with a starting backcourt of Battle and White and changes things up at the first timeout. But again, that means Gillon doesn't start and that's a bad look.

Great post, agree with your takes across the board.

People may be right in saying White playing SG is just not going to happen. We still need to see what White is capable of doing. I don't think White will play the 4 spot. So if White only plays the 3 spot it will have implications on Lydon and Roberson's PT.

Well, if White is not a guard "at all", as some people assert, somebody better tell that to Andrew, who calls himself a guard on his Twitter feed, and to most of the sports writers who have written about his commitment, most of whom call him a G/F. If he isn't going to play ANY time at guard, why is this team such a great fit for him? We already have four other guys who play forward, including two presumed starters, and only 3 people who play guard. How does this improve his skills for the NBA?

You may have a point. JB was frustrated with Roberson last year with his if he could he would play someone else comment.

I think if you do that, you lose our best rebounder. I don't see that happening, personally.

I think one will start, but not both.

Douglas
Monroe
Triche
Coleman
Seikaly

I think we should lock this thread down and start 3 threads:

1. There is no way Lydon doesn't start he is a lottery pick thread

2. There is no way Gillon and White don't start promises were made thread

3. There is no way Robey and DC2 don't start they have been with the program and Boeheim is loyal blah blah blah thread

Also, I'm glad so many people have come around to the idea that Lydon's most likely coming off the bench.
tumblr_ndm022WXQS1tsr88xo1_500.gif

Gillon committed to Syracuse, what, three weeks after the season ended? And then cancelled visits to two other D1 programs. I don't think SU jumped on him just to be the backup PG to a sophomore who barely played last season and maybe to a freshman. One other grad transfer from a similar school (Cleveland St.) to Louisville for a starting job. SU using grad transfers is a new thing, so I'm not familiar with how others have been used with their teams. But I generally think most go to schools for a starting job.

The crazy thing about this team is not only do I not know what the starting lineup will be but I'm not sure what the most used lineup will be minutes wise. I'm going with:
Gillon committed to Syracuse, what, three weeks after the season ended? And then cancelled visits to two other D1 programs. I don't think SU jumped on him just to be the backup PG to a sophomore who barely played last season and maybe to a freshman. One other grad transfer from a similar school (Cleveland St.) to Louisville for a starting job. SU using grad transfers is a new thing, so I'm not familiar with how others have been used with their teams. But I generally think most go to schools for a starting job.

I generally agree with this. I think we start:

Battle
Gillon
White
Lydon
Coleman

We have Howard as the 3rd guard for that rotation with White as the 4th based on foul trouble or injuries. We have Robey and Chukwu off the bench if we need more muscle inside. I think Coleman plays the least of all the bigs. I think Chukwu plays more and Lydon even plays a few minutes with White and Robey at the forwards. That is my favorite lineup personally if Lydon has put on the weight. Lydon, Robey and White up front with Gillon and Battle in the backcourt.

People who have seen Howard play this summer say he is vastly improved. One guy I know on campus is convinced that he's going to start.

The crazy thing about this team is not only do I not know what the starting lineup will be but I'm not sure what the most used lineup will be minutes wise. I'm going with:

I generally agree with this. I think we start:

Battle
Gillon
White
Lydon
Coleman

We have Howard as the 3rd guard for that rotation with White as the 4th based on foul trouble or injuries. We have Robey and Chukwu off the bench if we need more muscle inside. I think Coleman plays the least of all the bigs. I think Chukwu plays more and Lydon even plays a few minutes with White and Robey at the forwards. That is my favorite lineup personally if Lydon has put on the weight. Lydon, Robey and White up front with Gillon and Battle in the backcourt.

Ultimately, I think we might have to get used to minutes being a bit more fluid this season than in most others. Having quality depth means many guys playing fewer minutes than they otherwise might in years where we only go 7 or 8 deep.

And if our players gel, then we're going to have a LOT of firepower. Which means that we could be playing from ahead in a lot of games instead of even or having to claw our way back in down the stretch.

Both of those factors mean that we could have different personnel out there, as we go into stall ball. A lot will depend on what happens any given game, IMO, in terms of minutes distribution.

I don't get it either. Let's sit him because he can offer something the other front court starters don't. Let's sit him because he's a great guy who can handle it better than the other guys. (Roby) Sit him because he's our most versitle player. (He can be just as versitle starting)

"If I had anyone else" how soon we forget. All these reasons to me are excuses to start Roby. I like the guy especially when he plays hard he will be a big part of the team but I don't understand why so many go way out of their way logically to have him starting. He's a returning starter and a senior but he always started out of necessity.

I'm not trying to dump on any specific posters opinion as plenty of posters I consider knowledgeable and insightful have Roby starting over Lydon. I just cannot wrap my head around it, maybe I'm the crazy one who knows?

I would ask those sitting Lydon to look at it as choosing Roby over Lydon to start at the 4, because IMO that is what your doing and that makes zero sense to me.
You need to look at this from a team perspective. We can't have the subs being Frank, TR, and PC because that is zero offense. You need some offense on the bench or JB won't be subbing freely at all.

So even before taking into account JB and his seniors, or the mentality of players, you don't start Lydon over TR and have a bench of FH, TR, and PC.

Lydon still may start, but in my mind not at the expense of TR.

You need to look at this from a team perspective. We can't have the subs being Frank, TR, and PC because that is zero offense. You need some offense on the bench or JB won't be subbing freely at all.

So even before taking into account JB and his seniors, or the mentality of players, you don't start Lydon over TR and have a bench of FH, TR, and PC.

Lydon still may start, but in my mind not at the expense of TR.
I don't agree with that. If we give up offensive rebounds and put backs on 3 straight trips with Coleman, Lydon and White you don't think Robey is coming in the game? If we are one and done multiple times you don't think Robey is coming in. If we are given up points in the paint in general you don't think we will see Chukwu. I don't believe offense is the only consideration. In fact with Boeheim I would argue many times it's not. He pulls guards he don't cover their area before he pulls them for a mistake on offense.

People who have seen Howard play this summer say he is vastly improved. One guy I know on campus is convinced that he's going to start.

His shooting was so dismal that a vast improvement isn't saying a lot.

After some more thought, the lineup that most excites me is this one. In terms of 4 offensive players coupled with a O/D rebounding fiend, makes the most sense to finish the game.
Pg - Gillon
Sg - Battle
Sf - White
Pf - Roberson
C - Lydon

After some more thought, the lineup that most excites me is this one. In terms of 4 offensive players coupled with a O/D rebounding fiend, makes the most sense to finish the game.
Pg - Gillon
Sg - Battle
Sf - White
Pf - Roberson
C - Lydon

I could see that being a lineup that closes a lot of games, especially if Coleman / Chukwu throw their weight / size around early and we play from ahead.

I can almost guarantee this won't be the starting lineup but I know the coaches love the idea of

PG-Battle
SG-White
SF-Lydon
PF-Roberson
C-Paschal

This lineup won't be used against press heavy teams but this will be our lineup toward the end of close games, based on what I'm hearing right now but that is without any coached team practices as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom