tHE ONE THING i REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS STAFFS RECRUITING EFFORTS | Syracusefan.com

tHE ONE THING i REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS STAFFS RECRUITING EFFORTS

retro44

Living Legend
is that the linemen coming in appear to be in much better shape. Not seeing the big guts from previous staffs over the last 10-15 years.

Just look a Williams,his chest is even with his stomach. So much easier to work with kids like that. Our O-lineman are very tall and still under 300lbs which is great in my book.

I can see a few of these kids get an upgrade in the final rankings,how much?

is that the linemen coming in appear to be in much better shape. Not seeing the big guts from previous staffs over the last 10-15 years.

Just look a Williams,his chest is even with his stomach. So much easier to work with kids like that. Our O-lineman are very tall and still under 300lbs which is great in my book.

I can see a few of these kids get an upgrade in the final rankings,how much?
I like that they're telling all SS recruits to take a hike.

Not only are they not good enough for syracuse, they're not good enough for bowling green.

As an added bonus...it proves how little the board recruiting folk, know about recruiting.

Stick to not understanding the plays, you're really out of your league wen it comes to talent evaluation.

Not only are they not good enough for syracuse, they're not good enough for bowling green.

As an added bonus...it proves how little the board recruiting folk, know about recruiting.

Stick to not understanding the plays, you're really out of your league wen it comes to talent evaluation.

Totally agree. I understand not wanting to be negative towards a kid who just committed to your school, but the over the top love affair that a lot of people had with the last staff was ridiculous.

You like that they're telling committed kids to take a hike. Great way to put it. You are some class act.

You like that they're telling committed kids to take a hike. Great way to put it. You are some class act.

I have no problem with it if they are letting kids know, and not just going silent like some staffs are known to do. It's unfortunate, but this how it is all over the country, just as Shafer and his staff did as well. It sucks, but this is a business. It's not even like they pretend to act like it's not big business anymore, so you might as well operate it as one.

Yes.

Who cares how I put it. I stated it as it is.

If you'd like some sugar with it, go with SS to Maryland.

Just realize, they don't want his recruits either.

I have no problem with it if they are letting kids know, and not just going silent like some staffs are known to do. It's unfortunate, but this how it is all over the country, just as Shafer and his staff did as well. It sucks, but this is a business. It's not even like they pretend to act like it's not big business anymore, so you might as well operate it as one.
Agreed.

To defend the staff a little further: from what I've read, they contacted every committed player and told them that they would honor their verbal. They also gave them a frank evaluation of where/if they fit within the new systems. For many, they saw the writing on the wall which encouraged certain kids to reopen their recruitment.

Honestly, I believe Dino and staff handled this as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

Yes.

Who cares how I put it. I stated it as it is.

If you'd like some sugar with it, go with SS to Maryland.

Just realize, they don't want his recruits either.

Totally agree. I understand not wanting to be negative towards a kid who just committed to your school, but the over the top love affair that a lot of people had with the last staff was ridiculous.
But but but...SS was hard nosed! Hey liked Shafer. He was a good DC. But his evaluation of talent and of assistant coaches was not adequate.

Bunch of candy asses around here, new staff all bets are off. The kids the kids...

Every one of those kids will have opportunities elsewhere, we aren't running a charity and babers is getting paid a huge sum to right the ship. He has a freaking job to do. Let him freaking do it and hopefully we are all happy with the results.

You want him to honor verbals but will brow beat him when he doesn't win... Can't have it both ways. Gut the freaking thing and start from there

I love these recruits but the Defensive end and skill guys will be the stars of this class along with, yes, clark! That said i think Deurig is our future center and Conway NOW our RT.

I haven't seen any complaints about the quality of last years class. They seemed to accept commits way too quickly this year though.
As if SS recognized that his job might be saved if he recruited even in a bad record year. You wait to try to get commits in the middle of a 4 win year, it's a lot more tough.

I thought shaf brought in some nice talent. That being said, im ok w how babers is doing it. Dont think sides need to be taken.

He did bring in some nice recruits. It's just that he didn't bring in enough immediate difference makers in each class. The meat of his classes was fine, just way too many non qualifiers at the top and too many reaches at the bottom.

His 2014 class on paper was the best class we had in at least the last 10+ years. But when 4 of the 4 top guys in that class either not qualify or transfer out within less than 2 years, that's about as poor a yield as you can get.

Last edited:
He did bring in some nice recruits. It's just that he didn't bring in enough immediate difference makers in each class. The meat of his classes was fine, just way too many non qualifiers at the top and too many reaches at the bottom.

His 2014 class on paper was the best class we had in at least the last 10+ years. But when 4 of the 4 too guys in that class either not qualify or transfer out within less than 2 years, that's about as poor a yield as you can get.
Similar to the end of P era recruiting ... The top guys either never showed or never developed

I haven't seen any complaints about the quality of last years class. They seemed to accept commits way too quickly this year though.

To be fair, it had to be pretty difficult for any coach to recruit without an extension, not giving players any assurance that the coach would be there when they arrive less staying for their college career. Redshirt seniors I believe are playing for their 3rd head coach. Coach Babers has definitely picked up recruiting and reportedly having a 6 year contract must give recruits more confidence that he will be here.

It should help recruiting immensely knowing that the new AD has committed to Coach Babers and his exciting long term vision for the program.

His 2014 class on paper was the best class we had in at least the last 10+ years. But when 4 of the 4 too guys in that class either not qualify or transfer out within less than 2 years, that's about as poor a yield as you can get.

The guy was here 3 years. The firt class doesnt count really, so his first real class would be rs frosh his last year. Cant be judged. Not saying he killed it on the recruiting trail, but shaf's downfall was the offense and his game management.

Agree with the comments above about the quality of Shafer's 2015 class, and the 2014 class being even better on paper (but 1/3 of that class did not get here or left early). We don't know how Shafer would have closed this class - some of his commits were retained, some de-commits were on par with the ones Babers landed.
And still, Babers has done very well in reinforcing the defense, his class looks good top to bottom, and maybe the next round he will find his QB and WRs to add that missing element of this group.

The guy was here 3 years. The firt class doesnt count really, so his first real class would be rs frosh his last year. Cant be judged. Not saying he killed it on the recruiting trail, but shaf's downfall was the offense and his game management.

Can judge his 2014 and 2015 classes - not so bad, except too many academic casualties etc from the 2014 group, and a lot of promise in this 2015 class.

Downfall was the ridiculous lack of QB depth entering 2014, and the weakness of the secondary in 2015. It was roster management, as much as game management.

Can judge his 2014 and 2015 classes - not so bad, except too many academic casualties etc from the 2014 group, and a lot of promise in this 2015 class.

Downfall was the ridiculous lack of QB depth entering 2014, and the weakness of the secondary in 2015. It was roster management, as much as game management.
Injuries really decimated the team particularly on offense. I think Coach SS really had trouble handling the immense pressure from the crazy incessant injuries, ACC ref calls, and job uncertainty for himself and his staff, his last year here.

Hopefully both Coach SS and SU will be be rejuvenated this year and that our injury bugaboo is over for Coach Babers era.

Injuries really decimated the team particularly on offense. I think Coach SS really had trouble handling the immense pressure from the crazy incessant injuries, ACC ref calls, and job uncertainty for himself and his staff, his last year here.

Hopefully both Coach SS and SU will be be rejuvenated this year and that our injury bugaboo is over for Coach Babers era.

Yes, looking forward to the Coach Babers era. He has a calm sideline demeanor, and seems like a smart guy in how he builds a team.

Have to say that Coach SS took a huge chance entering the 2014 season (no QB behind Hunt), and he had to see that his 2015 defense (and secondary) was young and thin. A different head coach would have brought in JUCO help or post-grad help. When you don't take those steps, you take your lumps, and there is your job uncertainty.
We will see now. We don't have the best situation at QB, safety, or WR. Will Babers do something other than normal recruiting to supplement what he has?

Success will be on the development more than the recruitment. At best the new regime will bounce up what 10 or 15 spots in the recruiting rankings? How much the kids improve during their time on campus makes or breaks a program like ours.

dowels and hudson will be nice players for us. the lack of depth in the secondary is a hold over from marrone.

I can never tell a damn thing from those recruiting videos. Every player looks great. I usually just look for the opinions of a few select posters here (who shall remain nameless, whose opinions seem to be on target more often than not. Though I admit, even they missed it on Broyld.

Yes, looking forward to the Coach Babers era. He has a calm sideline demeanor, and seems like a smart guy in how he builds a team.

Have to say that Coach SS took a huge chance entering the 2014 season (no QB behind Hunt), and he had to see that his 2015 defense (and secondary) was young and thin. A different head coach would have brought in JUCO help or post-grad help. When you don't take those steps, you take your lumps, and there is your job uncertainty.
We will see now. We don't have the best situation at QB, safety, or WR. Will Babers do something other than normal recruiting to supplement what he has?
I am a little surprised HCXXX has not looked to JUCO for help at a couple of positions, particularly DL.