The Program is in free fall | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

The Program is in free fall

Yeah can bring in all the recruits you want when your guards shoot 20 21 28% and 20% with 9 points with 4 minutes to go, your not going to beat anyone from a power conference without Dikembe Mutombo at center.
Our Jrs and Seniors played well today at least in the first half. Best half of the year.

Yeah can bring in all the recruits you want when your guards shoot 20 21 28% and 20% with 9 points with 4 minutes to go, your not going to beat anyone from a power conference without Dikembe Mutombo at center.
Our Jrs and Seniors played well today at least in the first half. Best half of the year.

Who recruited the gusrds?

Who recruited the gusrds?
Agree, but also Washington had a injury, hes the senior guard. A sophmore and two freshmen, that says a lot.
Worst interior defense in years (without a starting center). Its not the pf position.
I don't put it on the coaches they have been doing this forever, and they know. Sometimes you just get a bad roll. We act like JB doesn't understand anything.

Howard was averaging close to 20 points at the end of last year, next to battle. Together one of them missed our last 3 games. IMo, We were one of 3 teams that beat duke last year, and would have beat unc had we not got screwed 12 points in foul calls on the road in the first half. We are way overblown on the meltdown.

I think some of the older guys on the boards should chime in on that. We just lack seniority. This same team two years with all its guys would be a top 25 team. That is college ball.

Agree, but also Washington had a injury, hes the senior guard. A sophmore and two freshmen, that says a lot.
Worst interior defense in years (without a starting center). Its not the pf position.
I don't put it on the coaches they have been doing this forever, and they know. Sometimes you just get a bad roll. We act like JB doesn't understand anything.

Howard was averaging close to 20 points at the end of last year, next to battle. Together one of them missed our last 3 games. IMo, We were one of 3 teams that beat duke last year, and would have beat unc had we not got screwed 12 points in foul calls on the road in the first half. We are way overblown on the meltdown.

I think some of the older guys on the boards should chime in on that. We just lack seniority.

Hughes, Sidibe, HW and MD have been in the program for 3 years. Buddy has been in it since birth.

Hughes, Sidibe, HW and MD have been in the program for 3 years. Buddy has been in it since birth.
I agree coaches may have dropped the ball big on the center and Guard spots this year. Any other average division one team would be drooling to have JB for 2 years right now. We are lucky.

Don't think I've written about this before, but it's clear that SU basketball isn't SU basketball any more. Even when we squeak into the tournament, we don't play the signature style which made us a destination for top-line recruits--a fast-breaking style of ball that let our athletes be athletes. There is very little individual expression in whatever it is we're doing now.

While, on one hand, our recent approach has shown how JB can win with less, it's hardly an exciting brand of ball that people like to watch or players like to play. Not to mention he's winning less with less.

I wish we'd had the smooth transition from our Hall-of-Famer to Hop, but it's now clear that the program is not where it was and, with our great resources, it should be.

It's time.

Part of me worries that his attitude is that since he brought this program out of obscurity into national prominence he feels entitled to put it back where he found it.

EDIT: And maybe he is. It will just be a painful ride for the rest of us.
We went to the Final Four two years before he became the coach (though he was basically the top assistant on that team). And we’d just come through a pretty good 5 or 6-year period when he got the job. So, no, he didn’t bring the program out of “obscurity.” The advent of the Big East also helped enormously after Louie and Bouie graduated.

This is the explanation that fits what I saw of Raks career at SU.
Confirmation bias, maybe? Another rationale behind that perception is that Christmas had been told not to look for his shot and that's why he kicked it out.

This would jibe with everything we saw Boeheim say publicly.

(Though, to be fair, Boeheim sez things.)

I would say that this season is lost and definitely in freefall but I wouldn’t necessarily be that bold n say the program Is in freefall. But we’re not that far away. If coach doesn’t start making the necessary moves that need to be made and adapt to today’s game in certain aspects then yes were in freefall and it’s just time to him just retire and enjoy your life If you’re not going to do what needs to be done.

I think some of the older guys on the boards should chime in on that. We just lack seniority. This same team two years with all its guys would be a top 25 team. That is college ball.

You're so off base with this argument. This coaching staff has not shown any ability to rapidly develop and improve most of our roster for a while.
I do remember the days where we could realistically expect a big freshman to sophomore jump for any particular player. But it doesn't seem to happen anymore. On this roster alone, dolezaj, Carey, buddy, sidibe, and Washington have shown little to no development of their game. Neither did the guys last season, or the season before, or the season before. Not sure where your optimism is coming from.

Brisett, Howard, Chuckwu and Battle could of started on any acc team last year. And Sibide and Dolezaj were backups. This argument is silly.

I can’t stay awake for games while watching our current style of ball. Like someone said it’s not the style of game i enjoyed while in school in late 80’s/early 90’s. Fast break, alley oops, etc. that was fun to watch. Maybe we’re never going back...maybe i’ll Never stay awake for an entire game again...

We went to the Final Four two years before he became the coach (though he was basically the top assistant on that team). And we’d just come through a pretty good 5 or 6-year period when he got the job. So, no, he didn’t bring the program out of “obscurity.” The advent of the Big East also helped enormously after Louie and Bouie graduated.
Perhaps saved us from obscurity is a better way of looking at it. We could easily have become St. Bonaventure. A great school with some proud hoops history for sure, but not a Tier 1 Nike school.

Perhaps saved us from obscurity is a better way of looking at it. We could easily have become St. Bonaventure. A great school with some proud hoops history for sure, but not a Tier 1 Nike school.

Really? You think we were on the brink of becoming St. Bonaventure? For a litany of reasons, that is not a good take.

Does St. Bonaventure play division 1 football?
The Dome and cable TV helped Syracuse rise up.
Jim Boeheim is a good coach. He didn’t create Gonzaga on the East Coast.
People need to stop with this stuff.

St. Bonaventure didn’t play division 1 football.

If Duke could have had any player last year off our team it’s funny but they would have probably taken Buddy to give them a shooter.

Battle was a legit 5 star player who was put into a bad offense that he had to create everything for himself.

Battle starts for pretty much every ACC team except the Duke NBA 1 and done talent.

i truly wonder about the mindset of some people who think that this program can't be successful without JB or even mike hopkins. it's like you're clutching tight to some security blankie afraid of what the future might bring that's different from what you've always clung to. just try to imagine it might possibly be something better.
and let go.

Brisett, Howard, Chuckwu and Battle could of started on any acc team last year.

1575501637483.gif

This is the explanation that fits what I saw of Raks career at SU.
the MOOSEMAN's D in the middle of the zone is a big reason why RAXMAS sat out the end of many games.
both great players. but JB trusted the moose more. called out the D better. rakeem was more gifted offensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom