The Recruiting Problem... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Recruiting Problem...

Is Quade going to be our only recruit that can contribute right away?

If we have to bring in 7 guys, we will need everybody to be ready to go. If Quade is the only guy ready to contribute, 2017 would be a long year. That said, I wouldn't worry just yet. It's far too early to be that kind of concerned

I would expect the coaches to get 1-2 grad transfers too mixed in with Quade, Hami (?) and the rest of the 4 star guys we should be okay with Thompson, Moyer, Chukwu manning the paint. Frank will be back too, I get it though--on paper not as loaded as this years squad.

In this day and age, it's almost better to get 4* guys who will have solid careers (see CJ Fair, etc)

If Quade is the only guy ready to contribute, 2017 would be a long year.
If that's how it pans out - then Gmac should stick to reeling in fish. A high major P5 should never be promoting an unproven recruiter to head coordinator. He hasn't proven he can close with the kind of talent SU needs to sustain top 10 excellence. I hate this notion that we can only promote from within. It's nepotism.

If that's how it pans out - then Gmac should stick to reeling in fish. A high major P5 should never be promoting an unproven recruiter to head coordinator. He hasn't proven he can close with the kind of talent SU needs to sustain excellence. I hate this notion that we can only promote from within. It's nepotism.
if this recruiting class becomes subpar... then complain. Right not we have a 5* and two 4*s. that's pretty damn good.

if this recruiting class becomes subpar... then complain. Right not we have a 5* and two 4*s. that's pretty damn good.

Well, technically, right now we only *officially* have one 4*.

I know we're anything from strongly favored to a mortal lock for those other 2, but - you don't know until you know.
And even then - you don't know until they sign on the line which is dotted, & the ink is dry.

If that's how it pans out - then Gmac should stick to reeling in fish. A high major P5 should never be promoting an unproven recruiter to head coordinator. He hasn't proven he can close with the kind of talent SU needs to sustain top 10 excellence. I hate this notion that we can only promote from within. It's nepotism.

He got Moyer. It looks like he will get Green.

Oh yeah that's right, Tyler Lydon stinks too!

If we are going to continue to debate GMAC's bona fides, could someone that actually knows the score provide the low down on what the various coaches roles are with respect to recruiting for SU?

Also, who gets credit for being the recruiter that landed the guys that we have currently on roster and those that we are expecting in the fall of 2017 (ie. Green and Brisett)

If we come away with: Oshae B, Quade G, Bourama S, Hamidou D, Jordan Tucker and a grad transfer or two, I'd say we can put the "recruiting problem" issue to rest.

I think we land all of the above, with Hami being 50/50 (wants to play with Quade and is a NY kid). Just my two cents

If we come away with: Oshae B, Quade G, Bourama S, Hamidou D, Jordan Tucker and a grad transfer or two, I'd say we can put the "recruiting problem" issue to rest.

I think we land all of the above, with Hami being 50/50 (wants to play with Quade and is a NY kid). Just my two cents
Absolutely - if we can come away with that class - then I'll be a lot more confident that the ship will be steadied during the transition to Hop. But we're a bit of a long shot to get BOTH Hami and Tucker. We will have nobody returning as a legit 2 or 3 on the roster next year. It's a critical need.

This is what I would guess as well other than putting Hami to the NBA at more like 80%. Also you never know who will still be available in the spring so I'm not counting out a surprise late addition.

He got Moyer. It looks like he will get Green.

Oh yeah that's right, Tyler Lydon stinks too!
People will do whatever they can to throw Gmac under the bus, as a player, coach, etc. this is a guy that's dedicated his entire life to Syracuse. It's a god awful shame.

If GMac gets Hami then I think we can all put to rest the issue he had with recruiting top tier talent guys. If Diallo comes, he would be spurning away countless top programs plus, Europe, where he could've gone to make some serious coin.

Lydon goes into the Hopkins resume. Getting Q and Hami would do wonders for GMac's resume. Recruits really like him, but it's all about proving that he can close when all said and done.
What separates a guy like Book Richardson, is it the fact that he is a NYC guy?

Lydon goes into the Hopkins resume. Getting Q and Hami would do wonders for GMac's resume. Recruits really like him, but it's all about proving that he can close when all said and done.

I know you don't venture onto the main board much, but I was calling out FrancoPizza for saying Lydon sucks after one game.

What separates a guy like Book Richardson, is it the fact that he is a NYC guy?
Book has been in the game for a while and has build up many strong contacts in the northeast. He has earned the trust and respect from many. Takes time for somebody like GMac to build those type of connections and trust.

Book has been in the game for a while and has build up many strong contacts in the northeast. He has earned the trust and respect from many. Takes time for somebody like GMac to build those type of connections and trust.
That makes sense. He has the rep as a player, but he has to make the rounds for a while, and that isn't easy with our restrictions.

That makes sense. He has the rep as a player, but he has to make the rounds for a while, and that isn't easy with our restrictions.
That's another thing. GMac pretty much has to reintroduce himself to these youngins. Even though he was a great college player, most of these recruits were 4 or 5 when he was hitting bombs against Kansas. What works for him is that he's still fairly young in his 30's and can relate much better to the recruits than some older out of touch person.

That's another thing. GMac pretty much has to reintroduce himself to these youngins. Even though he was a great college player, most of these recruits were 4 or 5 when he was hitting bombs against Kansas. What works for him is that he's still fairly young in his 30's and can relate much better to the recruits than some older out of touch person.
Thanks for making most of us feel old.

Absolutely - if we can come away with that class - then I'll be a lot more confident that the ship will be steadied during the transition to Hop. But we're a bit of a long shot to get BOTH Hami and Tucker. We will have nobody returning as a legit 2 or 3 on the roster next year. It's a critical need.

Still confused why it is just a foregone conclusion that Battle is going to be gone. He is legitimately not mentioned any place whatsoever as a draft candidate besides here. I already ack the Malachi argument coming next but if we don't make the tourney which was pretty damn close to happening then he's still on the team right now.

Still confused why it is just a foregone conclusion that Battle is going to be gone. He is legitimately not mentioned any place whatsoever as a draft candidate besides here. I already ack the Malachi argument coming next but if we don't make the tourney which was pretty damn close to happening then he's still on the team right now.

See: Ennis PhD, Tyler & Richardson, Mali's Gone Mad.
Neither was remotely considered a one-and-done candidate, at first.

JB didn't think either of those first 2 were ready, then.
He thinks Battle is, now.
JB as much as said that he's going to go Pro sooner rather than later.

See: Ennis PhD, Tyler & Richardson, Mali's Gone Mad.
Neither was remotely considered a one-and-done candidate, at first.

JB didn't think either of those first 2 were ready, then.
He thinks Battle is, now.
JB as much as said that he's going to go Pro sooner rather than later.
I agree. Even if his numbers aren't great this year, which I actually think they'll be really good. The immeasurables are already there. He's a flat out stud athlete. Something that many of our last few early departures werent(Jerami aside).

I know you don't venture onto the main board much, but I was calling out FrancoPizza for saying Lydon sucks after one game.

Not saying that at all. Mostly concerned that his added bulk has damaged his shooting mechanics a la Cooney. If its just a matter of adjusting to new lineups, I'm sure he'll be fine once JB stops trying to make him audition as an NBA 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom