The Recruiting Problem... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The Recruiting Problem...

Not saying that at all. Mostly concerned that his added bulk has damaged his shooting mechanics a la Cooney. If its just a matter of adjusting to new lineups, I'm sure he'll be fine once JB stops trying to make him audition as an NBA 3.

You didn't even watch the game. Why would you make a judgement off of two exhibitions and a cupcake? Seems really silly. Do yourself a favor and go look at the box scores from those games last year.

You didn't even watch the game. Why would you make a judgement off of two exhibitions and a cupcake? Seems really silly. Do yourself a favor and go look at the box scores from those games last year.

Yeah, didn't watch because my TWC wifi blows. I'm not looking at box scores from last year. That's asinine.

We had multiple reports of Lydon shooting the eyes out of the ball in practice. I'm not worried about his stroke changing. He had a few go in and out. He's not going to do well as a SF against teams playing guards at SF unless he's making his shot. He rebounded, defended and passed the ball well.

We had multiple reports of Lydon shooting the eyes out of the ball in practice. I'm not worried about his stroke changing. He had a few go in and out. He's not going to do well as a SF against teams playing guards at SF unless he's making his shot. He rebounded, defended and passed the ball well.
Totally agree, plus he is the first guy on the floor for a loose ball. He sets a great example of how to play the game for his teammates and the kids watching.

Yeah, didn't watch because my TWC wifi blows. I'm not looking at box scores from last year. That's asinine.

Some might argue making deductions based on two exhibition games and a game against Colgate is asinine.

That's another thing. GMac pretty much has to reintroduce himself to these youngins. Even though he was a great college player, most of these recruits were 4 or 5 when he was hitting bombs against Kansas. What works for him is that he's still fairly young in his 30's and can relate much better to the recruits than some older out of touch person.

Dean for god sake. There are kids picking Wake because of Danny and the Miracles and you think GMac isn't relevant to these kids.

I recall that they gave a job to somebody's mom, and it was from away, like Alaska, I think. Anybody else remember that one?
No but it doesn't surprise me.

Dean for god sake. There are kids picking Wake because of Danny and the Miracles and you think GMac isn't relevant to these kids.
Are you really comparing Danny Manning to GMac?

Looking at next season we will be in the market for wings and grad shooters this spring and summer.

We will be strong up front with:
Chukwu, Thompson, Moyer, Brissett, Sidibe and while Moyer will likely see a bunch of time as the SF on offense he's not really a SF. Still as far as the 4/5 positions we are in really good shape.

At Guard we are looking thin:
Howard and Green both of which are PG's which is not to say they can't play well together. No matter what we have to add at least 1 guard. I really think if Tucker can convince the staff that he has righted his wrongs then he would be a good fit as a 2/3 player to help round out the freshman class.

One thing that would be amazing and really help would be if Battle came back for his sophomore season. I don't expect it but he's actually a bit bigger than Malachi IMO and could easily fill that 2/3 role next season.

So far for the SF/SG positions we have missed on:

Walker
O'Connell
Randolph
Thompson(unlikely I know)

Still Available(In order of most likely):

Tucker
Diallo

In the top 150 there is nobody else left.

Walker
O'Connell
Randolph

Tucker
Diallo

I think in Walkers case we just never showed enough love early on to get back into it seriously. (Much to Francis's chagrin) I still find it very strange when looking at personal that he would go to AZ at least at Nova they have a history of playing at least 4 guards big minutes every season.

I still believe Duke offered O'Connell because they thought we could get an early commit from him. Remember we offered and visited and then shortly after he had scheduled an official with us. If he wasn't a legacy at Duke you have to figure we get that one because he was never a priority for Duke.

As far as Randolph I still don't have a good grasp on his recruitment at all. It was all quiet on his side until he committed to AZ and then all quiet again. I wonder if he signed and sent his NLI to AZ because if they get Walker as well that has to get Randolph and his camp thinking.

Its hard to beat out a kids Dad and brother. I would have loved to get Thompson but he was going one place and I can't blame him.

All that aside looking at whats left you have to think we at least give Tucker another look down the road. He brings shooting that Diallo simply doesn't. Diallo is going to the NBA IMO. If he is high on the board I think he should, there is no guarantee he suddenly learns how to shoot and the longer removed you are from HS without the jumper improving the worse it is for your draft stock.

The tremendous irony of McNamara being forever associated with his coach's "OVERRATED" defense is that McNamara, regardless of whether he was overrated as a player, has become hugely overrated in the historical context by Syracuse fans.

I don't doubt that high school kids all over the East Coast don't know him as a player. He was a moderately visible national college basketball player over a decade ago, a guy who hit huge shots in a national championship game. As far as name recognition goes, he's like a homeless man's Mario Chalmers.

I'll forgive the kids for not being familiar with his body of work. It's not a huge problem anyway - how many high-profile recruits have been landed over the last century by little middle-aged guys who aren't known for their playing days? 99%?

Walker
O'Connell
Randolph

Tucker
Diallo

There will be players "blowing up" during the season. Happens every year. Now, those players may not be added to the Top 100 lists, because those are based almost entirely these days on AAU competition.

In the past, SU has not been in that market. Our roster may require Spring activity next year.

There will be players "blowing up" during the season. Happens every year. Now, those players may not be added to the Top 100 lists, because those are based almost entirely these days on AAU competition.

In the past, SU has not been in that market. Our roster may require Spring activity next year.

Maybe, I wouldn't count on it. You can look at this by position. Of the top 50 at both positions there is like 5 guys left.

would be amazing... if Battle came back for his sophomore season.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Looking at next season we will be in the market for wings and grad shooters this spring and summer.

We will be strong up front with:
Chukwu, Thompson, Moyer, Brissett, Sidibe and while Moyer will likely see a bunch of time as the SF on offense he's not really a SF. Still as far as the 4/5 positions we are in really good shape.

At Guard we are looking thin:
Howard and Green both of which are PG's which is not to say they can't play well together. No matter what we have to add at least 1 guard. I really think if Tucker can convince the staff that he has righted his wrongs then he would be a good fit as a 2/3 player to help round out the freshman class.

One thing that would be amazing and really help would be if Battle came back for his sophomore season. I don't expect it but he's actually a bit bigger than Malachi IMO and could easily fill that 2/3 role next season.

Frank Howard is shooting 100% from 3 this season. There's your 17 SG right there!

Frank Howard is shooting 100% from 3 this season. There's your 17 SG right there!

And Green is a very good shooter himself but they can't both play 40min a game. I agree they could play together without any issues and it would give you two guys on the court capable of running the offense.Still we need a 3rd guard at least if not a 4th and its always nice to get some shooting from the forward spots as well. The good news is that TT and Moyer should be able to knock enough down to keep teams from being able to pack it in.

And Green is a very good shooter himself but they can't both play 40min a game. I agree they could play together without any issues and it would give you two guys on the court capable of running the offense.Still we need a 3rd guard at least if not a 4th and its always nice to get some shooting from the forward spots as well. The good news is that TT and Moyer should be able to knock enough down to keep teams from being able to pack it in.

Agreed. It is virtually unfathomable to not see Howard / Green as the starting backcourt next year, no matter who else we land, a la Duke in 2015. There's your 1 and 2. If Battle returns [no guarantee]. there's your 1,2, and 3.

So anybody we'd land would be more depth-related than having to be pressed into starting. That changes if Battle doesn't return, where the main issue is a hole at 3 [not 2, which most seem concerned about in this thread]. From that perspective, Tucker could be a very important recruit--he's got the requisite size, outstanding shooter, and his floor game is improving. Would love to land him.

Very disappointed that we missed out on O'Connell, Thompson, and Randolph. Any one of those players would have really solved our dilemma at the 2. But I'd expect to see us land a wing in the spring, either as a grad transfer, a dark horse HS recruit who fits our system, or even something as unlikely as a JUCO. We don't tap into that well much, but it might be warranted here to bolster backcourt depth.

I'd expect us to dip our toe heavily into the grad transfer market again, and not just to land starters. Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see us bring in an experienced player to add to depleted backcourt depth for next year, even if said player only projects as a reserve.

Need to land Tucker, though, IMO.

Can Moyer play the 3? Or would he be the 4 next year? TT would seem to be the 4 of choice I assume.

Can Moyer play the 3? Or would he be the 4 next year? TT would seem to be the 4 of choice I assume.

I think he can but I don't think doing full time is ideal at least not at this point in his career. Still he has the whole season to improve. He could improve his shot like Frank has seemed to and tighten up his handle.

I think he can but I don't think doing full time is ideal at least not at this point in his career. Still he has the whole season to improve. He could improve his shot like Frank has seemed to and tighten up his handle.

I mean, maybe he could eventually round into a 3. But he is definitely more of a natural 4. I wouldn't feel especially comfortable heading into next season with Moyer as the primary option at 3. Our offense would definitely take a big hit--especially in terms of outside shooting.

I mean, maybe he could eventually round into a 3. But he is definitely more of a natural 4. I wouldn't feel especially comfortable heading into next season with Moyer as the primary option at 3. Our offense would definitely take a big hit--especially in terms of outside shooting.

Agreed, I see him as a 4 that could be a 3/4 swing guy by the time he's done at SU.

I think in Walkers case we just never showed enough love early on to get back into it seriously. (Much to Francis's chagrin) I still find it very strange when looking at personal that he would go to AZ at least at Nova they have a history of playing at least 4 guards big minutes every season.

I still believe Duke offered O'Connell because they thought we could get an early commit from him. Remember we offered and visited and then shortly after he had scheduled an official with us. If he wasn't a legacy at Duke you have to figure we get that one because he was never a priority for Duke.

As far as Randolph I still don't have a good grasp on his recruitment at all. It was all quiet on his side until he committed to AZ and then all quiet again. I wonder if he signed and sent his NLI to AZ because if they get Walker as well that has to get Randolph and his camp thinking.

Its hard to beat out a kids Dad and brother. I would have loved to get Thompson but he was going one place and I can't blame him.

All that aside looking at whats left you have to think we at least give Tucker another look down the road. He brings shooting that Diallo simply doesn't. Diallo is going to the NBA IMO. If he is high on the board I think he should, there is no guarantee he suddenly learns how to shoot and the longer removed you are from HS without the jumper improving the worse it is for your draft stock.

Those high end wings are all slipping away. Maybe if we had been all over Walker 2 years ago as someone around here advised we would have had a decent chance. :noidea:

Thanks, sorry I can't like that post :(

Those high end wings are all slipping away. Maybe if we had been all over Walker 2 years ago as someone around here advised we would have had a decent chance. :noidea:

Thanks, sorry I can't like that post :(
I like your thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom