the refs | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

the refs

Because that's how zone coverage works. People defend an area, not a man. You might have seen some basketball teams play it over the years.
My mistake on that play was that I thought it was chestnut not Bellamy, who, in fact could have passed off the player. (depending on coverage). I couldn’t see the number but assumed that it was a safety, (since there was no safety behind the play) . but I could show you 20 times where we have passed on multiple players in a single high look where there are multiple deep routes, and no one behind.

On Joly touchdown, McDonald passes on Joly to a safety he thinks is behind him, but Cinco is doubling the wide route after his assignment went underneath and McDonald took him along with Barron. (Two covering underneath). McDonald can’t know that Cinco is not behind him, but he can know that Barron is there to pick up the crosser . He should’ve stayed with the tight end. That left the tight end, completely uncovered behind the defense. Just one of many examples of us passing people on without help,

Last edited:
There should be an ACC Refs internet site where the fans of all teams could compare their views on the subject.
Every fanbase would claim that the league is biased against them. I’d love to read that site.

Because that's how zone coverage works. People defend an area, not a man. You might have seen some basketball teams play it over the years.
Just because you said it:

I thought I’d help you out on some football zone coverages we ran. It’s not as simple as “covering an area” unless you don’t know anything about football.

We started out in ”match cover 2”, with deuce over their running back. Everyone else was matched up to a receiver to start, except Cinco. It was a disguised coverage that we immediately went into cover three.

now in cover 3 a linebacker has the running back and diggs is the spy (and is also illegally blocked) which allows the quarterback to get to the edge so easily.

When the play breaks down the linebacker now has the QB assignment and is on his way to meet the quarterback when Bellamy breaks off of his assignment to do the same. All three of deuce, Cinco and Grant are late to rotate, as two of the deep safeties should have the “play” half the field now, and the other one, the other half of the field.. (however teams have been routinely splitting our safeties drawing both of their attention, allowing another open deep route, where we are passing receivers off to no one), as I have mentioned.

Bellamy is not supposed to leave his man as long as the linebacker is in position and the quarterback has not crossed the line of scrimmage. That’s called “keeping everything in front of you”. He realizes his mistake that the quarterback has not crossed the line of scrimmage, and immediately retreats and knows they’re likely is not someone behind him.

once a play breaks down the way it did, you cannot know what is behind you after three or four seconds. Bellamy should’ve stayed with his man and Grant and Cinco should’ve been rotating over quicker. The play is on all of them to be honest.

if you have anything you’d like to share with me on zone coverage, please do, since you were so eager to educate me on what zone coverage is.

Last edited:
Every fanbase would claim that the league is biased against them. I’d love to read that site.
Exactly, half the reason Maryland fans “claimed” to be happy leaving is that they were not getting any calls versus the North Carolina schools. Wake and NC State insist that UNC always gets calls against them. Everyone including them thinks that Clemson and Florida State get all the calls.

I’ve seen enough evidence on the last part to believe that while perhaps not intentional, it does happen.

Just because you said it:
I thought I’d help you out on some football zone coverages we ran. It’s not as simple as “covering an area” unless you don’t know anything about football.
We started out in ”match cover 2”, with deuce over their running back. Everyone else was matched up to a receiver to start, except Cinco. It was a disguised coverage that we immediately went into cover three.
now in cover 3 a linebacker has the running back and diggs is the spy (and is also illegally blocked) which allows the quarterback to get to the edge so easily.
When the play breaks down the linebacker now has the QB assignment and is on his way to meet the quarterback when Bellamy breaks off of his assignment to do the same. All three of deuce, Cinco and Grant are late to rotate, as two of the deep safeties should have the “play” half the field now, and the other one, the other half of the field.. (however teams have been routinely splitting our safeties drawing both of their attention, allowing another open deep route, where we are passing receivers off to no one), as I have mentioned.
Bellamy is not supposed to leave his man as long as the linebacker is in position and the quarterback has not crossed the line of scrimmage. That’s called “keeping everything in front of you”. He realizes his mistake that the quarterback has not crossed the line of scrimmage, and immediately retreats and knows they’re likely is not someone behind him.
once a play breaks down the way it did, you cannot know what is behind you after three or four seconds. Bellamy should’ve stayed with his man and Grant and Cinco should’ve been rotating over quicker. The play is on all of them to be honest.
if you have anything you’d like to share with me on zone coverage, please do, since you were so eager to educate me on what zone coverage is.

Your initial comment expressed amazement that defensive backs pass along an assignment as someone crosses their area, like "how could they do such a thing!".
I sarcastically said, "yeah, that's a zone, that's what they do". We were a zone basketball team for 30 years.
I also said that they made mistakes in coverage.
You're pretty insecure to get so wounded. You're no John Madden, ok. Get over yourself.

fposter,medium,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

Last edited:
Your initial comment expressed amazement that defensive backs pass along an assignment as someone crosses their area, like "how could they do such a thing!".
I sarcastically said, "yeah, that's a zone, that's what they do". We were a zone basketball team for 30 years.
I also said that they made mistakes in coverage.
You're pretty insecure to get so wounded. You're no John Madden, ok. Get over yourself.

View attachment 245916
You made the snarky comment, not me. It didn’t go over my head. I just understood it better than you. You are not supposed to just let people past you “just because it’s a zone“.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom