The View From Here II | Syracusefan.com

The View From Here II

SWC75

Bored Historian
Again, it's a game in August against an over-matched team.

CENTERS

Christmas had a good game. Made about a 12 footer from the side. Some good passes and blocks. Coleman looked good early, using some pump fakes to get himself some openings. He looked a bit gassed at the end, not going after a rebound that he could have gotten. But it was sweltering hot. Rautins made an interesting point yesterday: he tends to look down so that's where he puts the ball. He needs to keep his head up and look up. Keita did some great rebounding and had some good blocks, including one he grabbed out of the air for a steal. Bishop's was a taller team than McGill but they were worse on the boards.

FORWARDS

CJ didn't play but Jermey grant dominated the game when he was in, driving by people, ripping down rebounds, making shots. A man among boys. BJ Johnson continued his awkward play in the first half but really got going in the second half, hitting some shots and making a great block on a fast break. Gbinije continued to have a lid on the basket but played solidly otherwise. He'll be a Kueth Duany "glue guy" type.

GUARDS

Ennis continued his steady, efficient play. The offense is far better when he's in there. And he looks taller than his listed 6-2. Cooney came out drilling shots for a change and was a totally different player. Hopefully this will continue and he will have a good year. We need a good outside shooter. We clanged a lot of shots in this game. The vast majority were clanged by Ron Patterson, who reminds me of Rock Lloyd, who jacked up 25 footers with no conscience even though they weren't close to going in. Unlike Lloyd, he's an aggressive defender. He can pass the ball and runs the court well. He can get up there when he jumps. But his handle is weak and he gets himself surrounded too much by the defense. At one point Rautins said "He loses the ball but always gets it back". That's laudable in a way but probably not what JB is looking for.

Overall, we have been dominant on defense and the boards against two teams that weren't very good. I haven't been too impressed with our shooting and we were sloppy in both second halves, (due to the big lead and liberal substitutions). But now we will play Carleton, the best team in Canada, who just beat Wisconsin and lost by a point last year to Louisville. Our offense might get exposed a bit in this one and we may not be able to make up for it with defense and rebounding. Hopefully CJ will be back because I think we'll need him in this one.

You sure you mean Rock Lloyd? He only averaged taking 1 3pter per game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure you mean Rock Lloyd? He only averaged taking 1 3pter per game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds more like MeShaun... But he made a few too.

Cooney came out drilling shots for a change and was a totally different player. Hopefully this will continue and he will have a food year. .

With a last name like his wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Good post though SWC LIke the Gbinije Duany comparison. I think Gbinije was a much better passer in the first game, tonights game didn't really highlight his passing or movement off the ball he is good at those. Gbinije loves to shoot from the middle of the court inside and outside the arc.

We need to find someone to start hitting threes from the corners other then CJ.

I'm not one to harp on spelling but since the guy IMO is going to start in the nba, it's spelled Jeremi. Nice write up.

On MikeG. Judging by SWC's nice write up, it seems like Buss's handle is inferior hence the staff putting MikeG as backup PG in short bursts. Nothing we can do this year it seems but is that his best position? Probably not but JB obviously has seen enough to determine that he's the best option there. We'll see but I wonder how valuable he would be as strictly a SG/SF if we could afford to keep him there.

I noticed it this morning and came on here to call myself out but glad someone else caught it. I should really consider posting less.

Nah, just because you're human and make mistakes, unlike the rest of us, you should still post.;)

Wow haven't posted in quite a while. Been busy I guess. Somewhat of my take.

Centers/Forwards: DCII still looks a tad raw in there... was stripped several times and puts the ball on the floor when he should be going up. Agree with Leo. He looks down when dribbling rather than up telegraphing his move. On defense he was caught out of position several times ... I think that occurred mostly when he was out on the 4. Did like some of his blocks tho. Keita ... free throws. Ugh. But Keita looked like Keita. Still hustles. Rak looked better last night. Pulled a bunch of boards and showed a 20' shot. I know JB told him to get more aggressive but he is definitely losing his cool readily. Grant is smooth and will be 6th man off the bench. BJ is thin ... really thin. But I did like some of his moves and he definitely has the touch when shooting. CJ...Grant...BJ. Wow. Same mold. I think BJ will be good. Needs weight and strength down under tho. G played the 4(?) when TC and Buss were in at guard. Not a lot to say about his play at that position tho. At least hes willing to get inside and go after the ball.

Guards: TE is smoooooooth. Wow!!!! SU is definitely sooooo much better when he plays. He is unselfish and passes well. Couple of small errors. He showed an outside shot as well last night. what great moves. I LIKE THIS KID A WHOLE LOT!! TC... what can I say about TC. It was great to see him start off hitting those 3's. Good defensive skills. Driving to the basket? eh. We really need him hitting those 3s and hope that last night was a very positive omen. G at guard. I really like him backing up TE.He shows a lot of maturity at the 1 and seems to be able to lead the team and pass to the open man. He is not a "shooter" at the position but plays the 1 like a true pg. He hasnt got the handle of TE but he will be more than competent as a back up. Now Buss. Clank. Clank. Clank. Clonk. I think he finally scored 1 basket last night. He does, at times, have a good handle but runs into positions that gets him buried and then usually stripped. Poor decision making with the ball. Not a ball passer. He does hustle. Had a few steals but then lost the ball. Buss is better playing defense than offense. He needs some serious work.

Rotation: Obviously CJ at 3 with Jerami as 6th man. Both superb! Coleman and Rak shifting at the 4/5 with Keita off the bench. Dont know who I like better there. Roberson will have big impact when he gets here. Lot of shifting at the 4/5. Keita I think will be our steadiest player at the 5. TE ... no question. Without a doubt. Amazing. G will back up TE and be 7th man. Does a very competent job at the 1. TC will start...no question. The question is where do we go from there? Sorry but Im not confident in Buss at all at the 2. BJ odd man out and may be somewhat of an answer as a backup 2. He can shoot and has a nice touch. Best chance for pt as opposed to plying behind CJ and Jerami who will get all the time at the 3. Also his lack of weight would serve him better at the 2 until he gets into the weight room. He doesnt have a really bad handle and does show more maturity and IQ on the floor. Also he can drive. Funny how everybody was frettin' about who would back up TE. G will do a great job. Im more concerned at this moment as to who will back up TC. The 2 looks like our weak link right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see G getting a bunch of minutes there oppposite TE.

Thats all I got.

I noticed it this morning and came on here to call myself out but glad someone else caught it. I should really consider posting less.
Not many here would stand up and admit their mistakes. But then many think they are like me, perfect.:)

Man, Rock Lloyd was one of those guys I thought was really going to be good for us.

Wow haven't posted in quite a while. Been busy I guess. Somewhat of my take.

Centers/Forwards: DCII still looks a tad raw in there... was stripped several times and puts the ball on the floor when he should be going up. Agree with Leo. He looks down when dribbling rather than up telegraphing his move. On defense he was caught out of position several times ... I think that occurred mostly when he was out on the 4. Did like some of his blocks tho. Keita ... free throws. Ugh. But Keita looked like Keita. Still hustles. Rak looked better last night. Pulled a bunch of boards and showed a 20' shot. I know JB told him to get more aggressive but he is definitely losing his cool readily. Grant is smooth and will be 6th man off the bench. BJ is thin ... really thin. But I did like some of his moves and he definitely has the touch when shooting. CJ...Grant...BJ. Wow. Same mold. I think BJ will be good. Needs weight and strength down under tho. G played the 4(?) when TC and Buss were in at guard. Not a lot to say about his play at that position tho. At least hes willing to get inside and go after the ball.

Guards: TE is smoooooooth. Wow!!!! SU is definitely sooooo much better when he plays. He is unselfish and passes well. Couple of small errors. He showed an outside shot as well last night. what great moves. I LIKE THIS KID A WHOLE LOT!! TC... what can I say about TC. It was great to see him start off hitting those 3's. Good defensive skills. Driving to the basket? eh. We really need him hitting those 3s and hope that last night was a very positive omen. G at guard. I really like him backing up TE.He shows a lot of maturity at the 1 and seems to be able to lead the team and pass to the open man. He is not a "shooter" at the position but plays the 1 like a true pg. He hasnt got the handle of TE but he will be more than competent as a back up. Now Buss. Clank. Clank. Clank. Clonk. I think he finally scored 1 basket last night. He does, at times, have a good handle but runs into positions that gets him buried and then usually stripped. Poor decision making with the ball. Not a ball passer. He does hustle. Had a few steals but then lost the ball. Buss is better playing defense than offense. He needs some serious work.

Rotation: Obviously CJ at 3 with Jerami as 6th man. Both superb! Coleman and Rak shifting at the 4/5 with Keita off the bench. Dont know who I like better there. Roberson will have big impact when he gets here. Lot of shifting at the 4/5. Keita I think will be our steadiest player at the 5. TE ... no question. Without a doubt. Amazing. G will back up TE and be 7th man. Does a very competent job at the 1. TC will start...no question. The question is where do we go from there? Sorry but Im not confident in Buss at all at the 2. BJ odd man out and may be somewhat of an answer as a backup 2. He can shoot and has a nice touch. Best chance for pt as opposed to plying behind CJ and Jerami who will get all the time at the 3. Also his lack of weight would serve him better at the 2 until he gets into the weight room. He doesnt have a really bad handle and does show more maturity and IQ on the floor. Also he can drive. Funny how everybody was frettin' about who would back up TE. G will do a great job. Im more concerned at this moment as to who will back up TC. The 2 looks like our weak link right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see G getting a bunch of minutes there oppposite TE.

Thats all I got.

Nice write-up. No way Jerami will be the 6th man. JB may play two of the centers at the same time in certain situations but Jerami will be the PF. He's going to be a break-out star. He and CJ will be the best pair of forwards in the country.

Rak coming off the bench then? CJ/Grant start? I would love that. An offensively challenged 4 and 5 just clogs things up. Maybe Rak coming off the bench to sub for Coleman? Lots of parts to tinker with. Just wish the NCAA would get off their asses and clear Roberson. What in the world could be taking so long??! So dumb.

Rak coming off the bench then? CJ/Grant start? I would love that. An offensively challenged 4 and 5 just clogs things up. Maybe Rak coming off the bench to sub for Coleman? Lots of parts to tinker with. Just wish the NCAA would get off their asses and clear Roberson. What could be taking so long??! So dumb.
head up yer ass.jpg

Rak coming off the bench then? CJ/Grant start? I would love that. An offensively challenged 4 and 5 just clogs things up. Maybe Rak coming off the bench to sub for Coleman? Lots of parts to tinker with. Just wish the NCAA would get off their asses and clear Roberson. What in the world could be taking so long??! So dumb.

My guess is that Rak starts for jumpballs and then he or Coleman are subbed for Grant?

Naa Rak starts and stays out there for a healthy 5 minutes atleast. Between Rak Dajuan and Xmas I see then getting minimum 50 mpg.
And that two of them 15 minutes the other 20. Grant will be just as good off the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom