The whole season in a nutshell | Syracusefan.com

The whole season in a nutshell

GoSU96

Living Legend
Right now it's a dink and dunk offense combined with a quick strike defense.
upload_2016-10-4_8-2-28.png

SU's pace is generating more possessions per game but the offense is topping out at 5 score per, that has to improve significantly with this style of play and to score has for the most part has to do it with sustained drives.

The defense on the other had has given up a ridiculous number of long plays.

12 of 22 offensive TD's have been 24 yds or more in 5 games. A couple of other drives were 3 plays and covered 65 plus yds.

I expect things to improve on both offense and defense in these areas over the course of the season and significantly next year.

Last edited:
Need bigger plays on offense, give up less explosive plays on defense. Translation need better athletes on both sides, desperately need a RB that can take it to the house and a back 4 on defense that can keep things in front of them. Marquis Blair would be a great start on D

Yep. RB, S, and CB and a better grasp of the systems will get us much closer.

Yep. RB, S, and CB and a better grasp of the systems will get us much closer.

agree 100%, lines are young but will improve back 4 young but don't the measurable desired there

agree 100%, lines are young but will improve back 4 young but don't the measurable desired there

Yep. And I hate it because I think our secondary players are all tough/fun guys that are easy to root for.

we are getting a decent chunk of big plays, just not same as what we give up.. part of that is talent.. our RB dont score on the same play the ND kid did even if we get thru to the 2nd level we dont run away and score.

we are getting a decent chunk of big plays, just not same as what we give up.. part of that is talent.. our RB dont score on the same play the ND kid did even if we get thru to the 2nd level we dont run away and score.

Yeah we need that piece too.

I love Dungey. but if you put Jackson in the same spots he has been just running we probably have half as many sacks and 5-8 more TDs from the QB Position. Speed covers up alot of scheme issues.

I love Dungey. but if you put Jackson in the same spots he has been just running we probably have half as many sacks and 5-8 more TDs from the QB Position. Speed covers up alot of scheme issues.

We've given up 8 sacks all year, it's not a big deal. Cutting that in half is meaningless.

Need bigger plays on offense, give up less explosive plays on defense. Translation need better athletes on both sides, desperately need a RB that can take it to the house and a back 4 on defense that can keep things in front of them. Marquis Blair would be a great start on D

I know it would be like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound, but I wonder if there are any skill guys not seeing the field on O that Dino has thought about, or is already cross training at DB. Especially since the Cordy/Dowels injuries. Not sure if any of them played DB in HS, but watching the angles some of our guys take to the play is rough on the eyes.

I know it would be like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound, but I wonder if there are any skill guys not seeing the field on O that Dino has thought about, or is already cross training at DB. Especially since the Cordy/Dowels injuries. Not sure if any of them played DB in HS, but watching the angles some of our guys take to the play is rough on the eyes.

I agree, if raw athleticism is there and they can take the change then so be it, much easier to sell recruits on offense as opposed to defense unless you are selling immediate PT. The secondary is a spot where I am not convinced youth is are biggest issue, size and athleticism seem to be and that can't be overcome. This is where Shafer seemed to put love of the game over raw talent.. I think Shafer kept trying to find the next Shamarko Thomas but really your odds of finding the next Anthony Smith may have been easier

Im just saying that if you swap the 2 QBs its probably at least a 10 pt difference each way.. I'm not convinced UL is all that great a team, but they have multiple kids far more athletic than us. if you just removed jackson with a normal QB the gap goes way down even with the better talent. Much like VT with Vick you go from Good to really good with one player.

Houston with Ward looks pretty dang good too. without him they lose to Uconn last year. They could fall back into the pack pretty quickly.

Our scheme has some nice pieces but not one player with super talent/speed and its pretty close to working with a pretty avg Oline.

On D just more size would make a world of difference and I think you can find that much easier than Super Elite talent on D.

Im just saying that if you swap the 2 QBs its probably at least a 10 pt difference each way.. I'm not convinced UL is all that great a team, but they have multiple kids far more athletic than us. if you just removed jackson with a normal QB the gap goes way down even with the better talent. Much like VT with Vick you go from Good to really good with one player.

Houston with Ward looks pretty dang good too. without him they lose to Uconn last year. They could fall back into the pack pretty quickly.

Our scheme has some nice pieces but not one player with super talent/speed and its pretty close to working with a pretty avg Oline.

On D just more size would make a world of difference and I think you can find that much easier than Super Elite talent on D.
i hate to sound like i'm ragging on dungey because i like him and he's doing fine and i'm in no hurry to see any other qb

but imagine what babers could do with a guy who can really run and throw. like REALLY run and throw

part of me wants babers to go after the very best short qbs that other schools miss. someone like vernon adams.

Vick. Just as fast, slightly better passer.

I would put McNabb right there too. Not as fast, but his combination of speed, agility, and strength with his vision and fakes, and jukes plus the passing ability...he had as much overall physical ability as anyone. McNabb's stats in a modern college offense would be better, and they were already very good.

i think this guy is better than vick but that's mainly because of Petrino, he's already got more yards and tds

imagine what vick could've done in a real offense. as a soph he threw 8 td and 6 int. that's like the dark ages
I think your talking production. I think Vick was a better talent. I agree Vick, McNabb too for that matter, would've been sick in these modern offenses. Fwiw, even though he wasn't as fast I'd take McNabb over Jackson. Smarter and more accurate passer.

I think your talking production. I think Vick was a better talent. I agree Vick, McNabb too for that matter, would've been sick in these modern offenses. Fwiw, even though he wasn't as fast I'd take McNabb over Jackson. Smarter and more accurate passer.
As Herbstreit keeps saying about Jackson--he makes the wrong reads way too much, but his speed and elusiveness consistently overcomes his mental mistakes.

If you put Jackson in any offense he would thrive, the guy is that good.

Jackson is in his 2nd year out of HS. Vick and McNabb both redshirted.

McNabb wasn't overly accurate his freshman year. But to this day, I'm not sure I've seen another QB dance out of trouble in the pocket and throw on the run the way he could.

Jackson and Vick had one thing that McNabb didn't, if they have a lane, they are gone. McNabb had some long runs, but not nearly at the speed of those 2.

Jackson is in his 2nd year out of HS. Vick and McNabb both redshirted.

McNabb wasn't overly accurate his freshman year. But to this day, I'm not sure I've seen another QB dance out of trouble in the pocket and throw on the run the way he could.

Jackson and Vick had one thing that McNabb didn't, if they have a lane, they are gone. McNabb had some long runs, but not nearly at the speed of those 2.
In the pro's you better be able to read the defense, and make all the throws, something Jackson needs a lot of work on.

yup.. and he only has 1 more year.. i dont see him staying past next year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom