"The worlds is flat"-UCONN | Syracusefan.com

"The worlds is flat"-UCONN

44cuse

All Conference
I acknowledge this and agree with it. But I hate it. Football is my favorite sport, so I understand why things are the way are. But regional rivalries are better. That said: it is what it is.

Comment from Susan Herbst: "The world is flat. I think we've all come to see that college athletics is like telecommunications or political organizing or any of the kind of dynamic institutions that used to be very regional. It's a national activity."

44cuse

Except that I can call anywhere in North America for a flat rate whereas when UConn's women's soccer team has to play at TCU, it will cost them more to fly there than to take a bus to Syracuse.

I acknowledge this and agree with it. But I hate it. Football is my favorite sport, so I understand why things are the way are. But regional rivalries are better. That said: it is what it is.

Comment from Susan Herbst: "The world is flat. I think we've all come to see that college athletics is like telecommunications or political organizing or any of the kind of dynamic institutions that used to be very regional. It's a national activity."

44cuse

The ACC North can be pretty regional if they go to 16 one day. In an ideal world we would be in a 10 team conference with PSU, WV, Pitt, BC, UConn, RU, MD, VT, and Temple. In the ACC we have 4 of those 9 teams with the possibility of 2 more coming one day. Its as good as we can get.

The ACC North can be pretty regional if they go to 16 one day. In an ideal world we would be in a 10 team conference with PSU, WV, Pitt, BC, UConn, RU, MD, VT, and Temple. In the ACC we have 4 of those 9 teams with the possibility of 2 more coming one day. Its as good as we can get.
That would be fantastic. But what is most attractive there is PSU and WVU and we know that isn't happening. But, that would be awesome. And...more to your point (I think), what we have now or will have with the ACC north will be WAY better than the ridiculous geo stuff that was happening and will continue to happen with the BE.

44cuse

Except that I can call anywhere in North America for a flat rate whereas when UConn's women's soccer team has to play at TCU, it will cost them more to fly there than to take a bus to Syracuse.
Ahhh yes...the world is not actually flat when it comes to cost and customer service. The whole "World is Flat" thing has way more to do with expansion than it does equalization.

Hence why most everyone has forgotten what a long distance call is and why the UCONN women's soccer team will, as you accurately point out, pay more than the bus ride to Cuse when they go play somewhere not in the NE.

44cuse

Exactly. It's conceivable that we could be looking at: SU, BC, Pitt, Maryland, VT (and pick 2 from UConn, Buttgers or WVU.) Seriously, what else could people want. PSU isn't coming. ND is a "who the heck knows." This is a near perfect scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom