The worst part about all of this | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The worst part about all of this

I thought the team would rally around it being Senior Night and the last chance to get bowl-eligible. Even if we didn’t get the win tonight, I thought we’d be generally competitive.

Instead, we had no offensive game plan. If Dino stays, then Gilbert has to go. Dino sold us on his incredible offensive system which really hasn’t shown up. Guys like Dungey and Tucker made up for a lot of the deficiencies.

Most of my concern about firing Dino is, as mentioned before, do we have the money to pay Dino not to coach and to attract the right guy to come to SU?

If Dino is out, my first choice is Moorhead. Offensive-minded guy. Northeast guy. Has experience as a HC on the SEC level. I’m sure he would want to be a HC again.

Careful what you wish for, October:

Oregon offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead underwent major emergency surgery on Saturday for a non-COVID related medical issue, according to Oregonian reporter John Canzano. Moorhead is in a Bay Area hospital recovering from the operation.

The coach missed Saturday’s game against Stanford, which beat the Ducks 31-24 in overtime. The Cardinal now has beaten a ranked Oregon team five times since 2009. This was the third time that Oregon (4-1, 1-1 in the Pac-12) was ranked in the top three.

The Ducks were the final remaining unbeaten team in the Pac-12 and looked to be the only league team to have a legit shot at a CFP berth. There obviously has been a lot of chaos this season, but it’s hard to imagine a Pac-12 team getting enough traction in the eventual CFP rankings by beating only other league teams.

Moorhead spent four years as the head coach of his alma mater, Fordham, from 2012-15. From there he went on to become the offensive coordinator at Penn State before accepting the head coaching position at Mississippi State in 2018.

He led the Bulldogs to an 8-4 finish in his inaugural season, which tied the school record for most wins by a first-year coach. Then, 10 players were suspended for eight games at the beginning of 2019 for allowing a tutor to take tests and do homework for them.

Mississippi State finished that season 6-7 and Moorhead was fired. He then took the offensive coordinator job at Oregon shortly after.

The Ducks are averaging 421.2 yards and 35.8 points per game (27th in the country) under his direction. Oregon will hope Joe Moorhead can make a speedy recovery from his surgery and rejoin them soon.

It seems unlikely he will be available when the Ducks take on California at 10:30 p.m. ET on Saturday. They will have to continue their quest to a Pac-12 title without the coach for the time being, and pray there is still a chance at the CFP.

Last edited:
We have to stop thinking or trying to get the perfect guy who will make this his home…we need to think like cincy….get a great guy who wil elevate the program then move on, then replace him with another good coach…

Ole Miss is having to fend off the vultures coming for Lane Kiffin. (Rumored to want Miami if it opens) If a program like that isn’t immune to being a stepping stone, then we certainly shouldn’t be worried about the model you suggest.

In reality, there’s only a handful of programs where the guy they hire is never leaving unless it’s against his will.

Ole Miss is having to fend off the vultures coming for Lane Kiffin. (Rumored to want Miami if it opens) If a program like that isn’t immune to being a stepping stone, then we certainly shouldn’t be worried about the model you suggest.

In reality, there’s only a handful of programs where the guy they hire is never leaving unless it’s against his will.
Kiffin will bolt Ole Miss.
Miami is where he wants but he will get another job.
Again the SEC West is loaded with coaches I wouldn’t want to stay there.

Kiffin at Miami would be a fit but Van Dyke has saved Diaz job.

They are hot to end the season and have an identity for next year.

I really hope Miami isn’t dumb enough to stick with Diaz. The ACC could really use Kiffin there.

Careful what you wish for:

Oregon offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead underwent major emergency surgery on Saturday for a non-COVID related medical issue, according to Oregonian reporter John Canzano. Moorhead is in a Bay Area hospital recovering from the operation.

The coach missed Saturday’s game against Stanford, which beat the Ducks 31-24 in overtime. The Cardinal now has beaten a ranked Oregon team five times since 2009. This was the third time that Oregon (4-1, 1-1 in the Pac-12) was ranked in the top three.

The Ducks were the final remaining unbeaten team in the Pac-12 and looked to be the only league team to have a legit shot at a CFP berth. There obviously has been a lot of chaos this season, but it’s hard to imagine a Pac-12 team getting enough traction in the eventual CFP rankings by beating only other league teams.

Moorhead spent four years as the head coach of his alma mater, Fordham, from 2012-15. From there he went on to become the offensive coordinator at Penn State before accepting the head coaching position at Mississippi State in 2018.

He led the Bulldogs to an 8-4 finish in his inaugural season, which tied the school record for most wins by a first-year coach. Then, 10 players were suspended for eight games at the beginning of 2019 for allowing a tutor to take tests and do homework for them.

Mississippi State finished that season 6-7 and Moorhead was fired. He then took the offensive coordinator job at Oregon shortly after.

The Ducks are averaging 421.2 yards and 35.8 points per game (27th in the country) under his direction. Oregon will hope Joe Moorhead can make a speedy recovery from his surgery and rejoin them soon.

It seems unlikely he will be available when the Ducks take on California at 10:30 p.m. ET on Saturday. They will have to continue their quest to a Pac-12 title without the coach for the time being, and pray there is still a chance at the CFCFP.
Thank you for making us all dumber by copy and pasting a 2 month old article. Guy is 47 and had an emergency surgery. Guess we should just stick with Dino because of that and be careful and wish for some more of these belief without evidence non-bowl seasons.

The kicker? Who will we lose now that’s actually really valuable? Other than Tucker? Lol
Not really a lol situation.

We have to stop thinking or trying to get the perfect guy who will make this his home…we need to think like cincy….get a great guy who wil elevate the program then move on, then replace him with another good coach…
Exactly. We aren't a destination. We are a step to a destination school. We need to accept that.

Exactly. We aren't a destination. We are a step to a destination school. We need to accept that.
The NFL is the only destination we've lost coaches to.

Tough year to be looking. White probably better than anyone we can get.

Our QBs arm fell off. Would have been nice if the guy who started the year and our top WR didn’t quit.

Um maybe because nobody else won, and you seriously believe we are a final destination?
We have zero history of being a step to another school. That's all.

I’m more worried about basketball.

Find a portal QB and some WRs and we could win the ACC next year.

O is a non-starter. Period.

Marrone has been wildly underwhelming with Bama’s OL which has some of the best raw talent there is and the guy didn’t enjoy recruiting pre portal.

The last few games were my final straw with Dino. Love the guy. I wanted him to succeed so much. Loved all the Ohana stuff, etc. If we replace him, it has to be with someone solid that can ensure some stability during the transition and can be a strong game day coach and solid recruiter. I get we aren’t going to start hauling in five stars.

If JW keeps Dino, there has to be a massive shakeup on the offensive and special teams side of things. If Shrader is our QB going forward, he and the OC have to see eye to eye and we need to develop a credible passing game. Not great, just credible.

I honestly think the biggest recruiting wins we may have this year are certain guys just coming back.

I dunno, even tho we had some great seasons since McNabb (‘01 and ‘18), plus a few solid ones with Marrone, it’s just been a long haul to be a fan.

I just want a 7 win regular season. That’s it. Call me a selfish fan, but that’s all I want.

Kiffin will be in Oxford next season

for all the doom and gloom.. trade the 2 Qbs last night and tell me that game isnt pretty even. Pitt has a dline and with ours hurt it showed in how many plays were blown up but the D was fine for most of the game. Need a QB really, dont even need one that can run. need one that can move around in the pocket and save a few plays but can throw enough to keep a D honest.

Kiffin will be in Oxford next season
Maybe next year but when a job he wants like Miami or Florida State open up he will bounce.

His job this year was outstanding but Ole Miss is never competing yearly with Alabama and LSU they are a good job that will go 9-3 with the division. He could do damage at an ACC school.

Careful what you wish for:

It seems unlikely he will be available when the Ducks take on California at 10:30 p.m. ET on Saturday. They will have to continue their quest to a Pac-12 title without the coach for the time being, and pray there is still a chance at the CFP.

Why? What’s there to be careful about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom