Things Almost Got Ugly in the Hallway | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Things Almost Got Ugly in the Hallway

Is anyone surprised? I am as big a fan as anyone but the only thing SU Athletics is adept at in terms of fan interaction is billing.
The in game "experience" is a mickey mouse, minor-league baseball joke, made worse by a sound system so bad that nothing can be heard or understood. Which is usually actually better than hearing inane drivel. But it also made it impossible to hear the speech written by Tim Green and read by his son.

There is nothing new about any of that. SOP in the 80s.

This is valid and accurate. It just has been sooooo long since the Dome gets crowds at/near capacity that most have forgotten about this being the relative norm.

If the university isn't really seriously considering expanding the concourses during future stages of this Dome renovation, they should reconsider. Otherwise, as others have alluded, this may be a legit deterrent for many to stay at home in the future for "big" games, etc. There were no big screen, HD TV's in the 80's, etc. so people today likely will simply avoid the potential stampede, etc.

it doesnt help that people dont know that other gates are much easier to get in. if you use the gate on your ticket it helps spread things out

We used a “downstairs” entrance to get in even though we’re in the 300’s. Breezed right through no wait and right up to our seats. Couldn’t have been any easier. People don’t use their brains though it’s herd mentality.

Concessions are problematic with big crowds. You have long lines that block the concourses. I don’t know how they can fix that. Where they really screw up though are no vendors going up and down the isles. This would alleviate a lot of people filling the concourses to get concessions. My kid wanted a water. I couldn’t even get one with the halftime crowd in the concourse, but if a vendor walked up I make the purchase without leaving my seat.

I can handle heights or public speaking or snakes or anything else you want to throw at me, but I don't do congestion. I get so claustrophobic in situations like that. I couldn't get through that 30 for 30 about the Hillsborough disaster in Britain.

Last edited:
Individuals can be adults but crowds tend to be children.

Isn't widening the concourse part of the renovations?

I'm glad I came early. i got into the orange Shop and out very easily (to get the media guide) and the lines at the concession stands were minimal.

Even then there were two long lines leading into the security entrance between the Physics Building and Steele Hall, (where the Ernie Davis statue is) but when i went around to the other side of the Physics Building there was another security station with no lines at all and i got right in...Maybe I shouldn't have said that. :cool:
I could not believe how long the lines were to get in by the Ernie Davis statue. We always walk past him for the good luck tap on his foot, went over to I believe Gate M where you go down the stairs and only waited a couple of minutes.

This is why some of us keep beating the drum about concourses. It’s not just sellout crowds. Any basketball game with 24k+ and it’s a very similar issue at halftime. You shouldn’t have to know about a secret tunnel to get around inside.

The halls need to be 3x as wide to meet proper codes. Elderly and children should not have to feel endangered.

This is why some of us keep beating the drum about concourses. It’s not just sellout crowds. Any basketball game with 24k+ and it’s a very similar issue at halftime. You shouldn’t have to know about a secret tunnel to get around inside.

The halls need to be 3x as wide to meet proper codes. Elderly and children should not have to feel endangered.
The halls are up to code, the problem is that the university in many areas has set up stands to sell merchandise and drink in those halls. This changes the thruway and causes a lot of the congestion problems. Could the hallways have been bigger obviously yes? The city of Syracuse and Onondaga county need to crack down on the stands being set up in hallways, this would solve much of the congestion problem.

So this is AD Wilds first sellout and chance to see how things would go. Gotta believe that he and others will review what worked, what didn’t and what they can do in the future. Not sure construction will be their answer though.

The city of Syracuse and Onondaga county need to crack down on the stands being set up in hallways, this would solve much of the congestion problem.
yes that’s it. Let’s just do away with concessions. Why didn’t we think of that earlier?

yes that’s it. Let’s just do away with concessions. Why didn’t we think of that earlier?
No just concessions set up in halls that violate code enforcement for the thruway in those halls. They were not there in the eighties or nineties, and violate original design code requirements. I am not talking about the occasional vendor , but the areas that have been set up with bars etc. they are taking at least four or five feet of thru space. They are clear violations of original code for the hallways.

No just concessions set up in halls that violate code enforcement for the thruway in those halls. They were not there in the eighties or nineties, and violate original design code requirements. I am not talking about the occasional vendor , but the areas that have been set up with bars etc. they are taking at least four or five feet of thru space. They are clear violations of original code for the hallways.
I hear ya but we need more than 5 feet... more like 20.

it would also help if groups of idiots didn't decide that standing in the middle of the hallway was a great place to have have an extended conversation. (Of course they can hardly have one in the arena itself since it's so loud there.)

Is anyone surprised? I am as big a fan as anyone but the only thing SU Athletics is adept at in terms of fan interaction is billing.
Funny you mention that. After that debacle I woke up this morning to a credit card payment for my hoops ticket. I was stuck in that mess for almost 30 minutes. There was a lot of pushing and shoving. I felt bad for the women and kids in that mess and also the EMS workers who had to fight through the crowd to get to whatever emergency there was.

The halls are up to code, the problem is that the university in many areas has set up stands to sell merchandise and drink in those halls. This changes the thruway and causes a lot of the congestion problems. Could the hallways have been bigger obviously yes? The city of Syracuse and Onondaga county need to crack down on the stands being set up in hallways, this would solve much of the congestion problem.
That would be a great battle. Something needs to be done but if it involves SU losing out on a nickel it won't happen.

I hear ya but we need more than 5 feet... more like 20.
I do not know if any increase is planned, even if it is it will not be any where near 20 feet, but you at least can not take away from what is already there.

That would be a great battle. Something needs to be done but if it involves SU losing out on a nickel it won't happen.
if a building code is enforced the university will have little it can do about it, this is not only a congestion issue but a safety issue for fans attempting to egress should there be some emergency with resulting panic. This building was built with minimum compliance to code or near to it, anything which cuts into that is a serious problem in my opinion.

I agree...this was nearly a stampede situation and we were very lucky nothing serious happened here. As well, I was stuck in the middle of this and was separated from my party. There was insane pushing and shoving going on and a few scuffles did break out. Kids (and some adults) were crying and some folks had panicked look in their eyes. I know a medical crew was trying to get through and was struggling mightily to do so. I have coming to the Dome since the mid 80’s and by far my worst experience ever. Yes...this could have been a disaster.

I agree...this was nearly a stampede situation and we were very lucky nothing serious happened here. As well, I was stuck in the middle of this and was separated from my party. There was insane pushing and shoving going on and a few scuffles did break out. Kids (and some adults) were crying and some folks had panicked look in their eyes. I know a medical crew was trying to get through and was struggling mightily to do so. I have coming to the Dome since the mid 80’s and by far my worst experience ever. Yes...this could have been a disaster.

Not good.

Third-largest crowd ever in a space-deprived environment. Space will be better in 2022. Text-if-there-is-a-problem hopefully comes next year, worst 2021.

Not good.

Third-largest crowd ever in a space-deprived environment. Space will be better in 2022. Text-if-there-is-a-problem hopefully comes next year, worst 2021.

Don’t we already have, or had, text if there is a problem? I could have sworn I’ve heard it announced at f-ball or maybe b-ball games what number to text if you have an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom