Things Almost Got Ugly in the Hallway | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Things Almost Got Ugly in the Hallway

I don’t think it’s quite that straight forward.
Code for exits and halls requires that no impediments be installed in said exits and hallways that allow less than the code minimum for those exits and hallways. It is a safety issue that should not allow any deviations. If any injuries result because of these deviations the lawsuits will be substantial. The Syracuse fire marshall should be looking at this situation.

Code for exits and halls requires that no impediments be installed in said exits and hallways that allow less than the code minimum for those exits and hallways. It is a safety issue that should not allow any deviations. If any injuries result because of these deviations the lawsuits will be substantial. The Syracuse fire marshall should be looking at this situation.

I believe the next inspection may be in October.

No just concessions set up in halls that violate code enforcement for the thruway in those halls. They were not there in the eighties or nineties, and violate original design code requirements. I am not talking about the occasional vendor , but the areas that have been set up with bars etc. they are taking at least four or five feet of thru space. They are clear violations of original code for the hallways.
The problem with that is the lines will be even longer at the concession counters.

They need to blow out some walls and create a new concession corridor on both sides

It wouldn’t be about code infractions. There would be no f-ball or b-ball games if the place wasn’t up to code.

It’s not new construction though. I can’t imagine those concourses would meet new fire codes. But I doubt the OTO concessions set up in the halls would be allowed by a fire marshall. Might be examined a little closer now.

The problem with that is the lines will be even longer at the concession counters.

They need to blow out some walls and create a new concession corridor on both sides
Safety or concessions, I choose safety until, if they make wider concourse.

Too many concessions necking down already congested concourse. It’s a mess with large crowds. I was at many big games in late 80’s/90’s when they only sold beer out of the main concessions stands and there was never congestion like Saturday

More folks than ever like to wander the concourses. Way more than I remember 20-30 years ago.

It’s not new construction though. I can’t imagine those concourses would meet new fire codes. But I doubt the OTO concessions set up in the halls would be allowed by a fire marshall. Might be examined a little closer now.

I don’t think inspections are a one time thing.

You are 100% correct Mark. They need to come up with the money to do this by 2022.

There was a way all of this could have addressed effectively. And they decided to go another way

There was a way all of this could have addressed effectively. And they decided to go another way

It cost too much apparently (lot of pushback among the faculty)

tenor.gif

This is a group never shy about emailing the athletic dept. Any response?

Not good.

Third-largest crowd ever in a space-deprived environment. Space will be better in 2022. Text-if-there-is-a-problem hopefully comes next year, worst 2021.
Mad why will space be better in 2022? Following up on SU68s post with the same question. If you are at liberty to share.

You’re saying the faculty nixed a new stadium? Was it coming out of their paychecks? I get cost was always a concern but professors should have jack squat influence.

We'd be BC/uconn west if we built some crappy 40k outdoor football only stadium. But sure you could half ass a crappy stadium on South to be used 6-7 times a year if we didn't care about national perception and wanted to join the Aack or go indy.

Basketball is different. If you leave the Dome you have no choice but to build a stadium that holds 20k and you have to build it to KFC Yum NBA standards not just for hoops but also so you can host concerts to pay for it. It couldn't be half assed without every touring act opting for Rochester etc instead and it being a waste.

We aren't public building 2 new venues isn't reasonable.

I thought with the renovation we'd do more on the archbold side maybe remove some seats over there in favor of a party deck or concourses etc since those aren't used for basketball and gain additional room. Possibly connect it to Archbold basically tearing down that wall. But its not my money.

This is a group never shy about emailing the athletic dept. Any response?
This will absolutely be discussed in tonight’s Cuse Council meeting. I think the pregame crush might be somewhat mitigated by enforcing mandatory entry gates. Too many fans, including me, enter at the gate closest to their arrival point rather than their seats. As a result thousands have to walk halfway around the Dome or enter on the wrong level and have to go up or down crowded staircases. Mandate entrance at the gate closest to your seats and make fans navigate outside instead of in the tight concourses.

And how did the fresh air pass concept work? With the new roof I wonder if it would be feasible to move some concessions outside of the Dome proper?

We'd be BC/uconn west if we built some crappy 40k outdoor football only stadium. But sure you could half ass a crappy stadium on South to be used 6-7 times a year if we didn't care about national perception and wanted to join the Aack or go indy.

Basketball is different. If you leave the Dome you have no choice but to build a stadium that holds 20k and you have to build it to KFC Yum NBA standards not just for hoops but also so you can host concerts to pay for it. It couldn't be half assed without every touring act opting for Rochester etc instead and it being a waste.

We aren't public building 2 new venues isn't reasonable.

I thought with the renovation we'd do more on the archbold side maybe remove some seats over there in favor of a party deck or concourses etc since those aren't used for basketball and gain additional room. Possibly connect it to Archbold basically tearing down that wall. But its not my money.

Who was advocating that?

Take it easy. Good lord

Who was advocating that?
I think Frankie is a little misinformed. NOBODY was advocating to build 2 separate venues. That’s just insane and fiscally nuts.

It cost too much apparently (lot of pushback among the faculty)

tenor.gif
If that is the reason it was quashed, I lose some respect for the chancellor. College faculty, as a whole, should never be given a table at AD issues, just like Dino and JB doesn't get to have a voice in which lasers the physics department needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom