Things i'm hearing... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Things i'm hearing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things:

1. Represent SU, and SU BB, as a famous and revered figurehead, with a focus on donors, ex-players, recruits, appropriate outside organizations, etc.
2. Support the coaching staff: assess opponents, give feedback on team players and performances, help develop the team on a lecture basis (zone, etc.).
3. Help recruit assistant coaches.

This would require an office, not a big salary. It would not be a 40 hour per week job.

What is the job description for K and Roy?
I don't want him anywhere near the basketball team or it's coaches. Calhoun did that. It wouldn't be fair to Red. Now, if Red wants to call jb and ask for advice, sign me up, but not just have jb roam around the Melo center.

Yep. I'm baffled that there is some expectation that he be handed a lucrative, no-show job.

This ain't the mob.

Guy has all the money he could ever hope to spend in his remaining years on Earth, and his family is set up for long after that. Go get a TV gig (he'd be great at it) or start a non-profit or something.
Podcast. "Let it Rip" by Jim Boeheim.

According to this Ch9 article the announcement was going to be a few days later.

JAB is just like me... Standing there waiting to get the heck out of an awkward family function while my wife and kids hug everyone 5 times!

And rightly so.

It would be an impossible situation for Red & staff to have the HOF legend hovering over everything they do.

They took the keys away from Grandpa, and sold the car.

These things often need to be done this way when an older person is blind to their own shortcomings and limitations.
Watch it there youngster. I can still delete and ban with the best of them. ;)

Maybe my SU friends are outliers, but I haven't seen a single one of them say they're upset with how this went down. Most of 'em are longtime JB fans, and basically all of them said "it's sad but it's time".

Would be surprised if there's any blowback on SU over this.

Same. Everyone I know and all of them have been diehard SU and JB fans have said, it’s about time and the way JB seems to have handled this is actually making him look bad.

Yeah, ego took over... he thought he was effectively throwing the school under the bus.

None of it came off the way he hoped.
If you ask someone to announce their retirement to the world immediately after their final game (which will be a loss) and do it on the road in an environment over which they have little control, you're inviting a chaotic outcome.

I don't want him anywhere near the basketball team or it's coaches. Calhoun did that. It wouldn't be fair to Red. Now, if Red wants to call jb and ask for advice, sign me up, but not just have jb roam around the Melo center.

I don’t think he’d be hovering around the program. Besides the new home in Skaneateles he also applied for membership at an exclusive golf course in Florida.

This is from a few "friends of the program" and a couple of people in the AD's office (who might be susceptible to spin, so I take what they say with a bit of cynicism).

The retirement plan had been locked in for a few weeks. Not many knew much about it, just that it would happen after the season's end.

The plan included the coach essentially confirming his retirement in whatever post-game presser was the last of the season. Boeheim had gone along with this. There was a press release ready to go last week with quotes from Boeheim and the word "retirement" all over it.

The presser comes, and according to some folks in the AD's office, Boeheim decided to softshoe it. Now I've heard conflicting stories on why that was. One person told me coach was concerned he wouldn't be able to handle his emotions if he announced in that way, that quickly after his last game. Whether he told people of these misgivings or not is up for debate.

The AD's office was furious at the way it went down and had to change the press release completely. It was supposed to come out right after the presser, but instead, they had to re-edit it and release it a few hours late.

A friend of the program says it wasn't intentional to make the university look bad, but who knows for sure.

Go ahead and kill the messenger, but this is what I've heard from a handful of people who should know.
in the end it does not matter. JB was going to stop coaching at some point
now the real fun starts Transfer portal Monday
Season ticket renewals by June 1
That's what they will be watching

this is going to gey messy. he wants a job in athletics, and SU said no
Wow. I would think it’s a no-brainer for him to be given an honorary type of job in athletics fundraising. I mean, Gary Williams was given one at Maryland. I think Calhoun was at UConn too. All these former coaches like Roy are working for the school in some capacity. Do they think he’s too much of a loose cannon?

A few things:

1. Represent SU, and SU BB, as a famous and revered figurehead, with a focus on donors, ex-players, recruits, appropriate outside organizations, etc.
2. Support the coaching staff: assess opponents, give feedback on team players and performances, help develop the team on a lecture basis (zone, etc.).
3. Help recruit assistant coaches.

This would require an office, not a big salary. It would not be a 40 hour per week job.

What is the job description for K and Roy?
1. Fine.
2. No.
3. No.

But he can do 1 without being a full-time employee.

I don’t get the sense that JB would do that. But I could be wrong. He’s said multiple times he doesn’t want to interfere with his successor, and I always got the sense that’s his philosophy (I think he even talked about it in his book). Then again, he might not be able to help himself.

They could have handled it better and just said JB and SU would address contract matters after the season and not in a PG presser.

The worst part is Red doesn’t get the intro he should get from JB. And JB looks shoved out. And it appears that Red is the emperor vanquisher.

Which BTW is EXACTLY why the Hopper left….

the optics were terrible... but JB should have never been left to his own devices answering that question in the presser to begin with. As AZ said, the admin could have squashed the retirement questions, but didn't... everyone shares the blame here and it's unfortunate.

They could have handled it better and just said JB and SU would address contract matters after the season and not in a PG presser.

The worst part is Red doesn’t get the intro he should get from JB. And JB looks shoved out. And it appears that Red is the emperor vanquisher.

Which BTW is EXACTLY why the Hopper left….
I think everyone comes out looking bad and IMO JB is more to blame because of what he said in the postgame presser. I think he did it so it was clear to all that he was getting pushed out. Our admin is not exactly known for handling things well, a deserved reputation, but I do put it more on him, he needed to go and had many chances to go out gracefully

You may not like this but, what I am hearing is that JB burned a lot of bridges with some of his press conference statements, which he had to walk back and were the final impetus for change. JB knew this would be the last year but he was asking for, I will say "things", the University was not willing to agree to. The plan was not to have JB announce he was retiring in the post-game press conference. As is his practice, he went rogue with a broadside in an effort to extract what he wanted. He once again misread the room and here we are.

Lets go Red! LGO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors