Things i'm hearing... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Things i'm hearing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes
secret-service.gif

If JB wouldn't say he was retiring (after being asked several times by 2 different reporters) then why should it be left up to the school to say he was retiring? If I remember correctly, the press release said JB wasn't returning as head coach. Did it say he wasn't returning to the school at all?

Well they should be. The way this was done makes the university look amateurish and petty. Everyone can argue what role Jimmy's stubbornness played in this but the AD department and SU leadership has to be more professional. Poor job by SU
You couldn't be more wrong. Jim was given multiple opportunities to take the lead on this. He went off script and forced the admins hand.

Well they should be. The way this was done makes the university look amateurish and petty. Everyone can argue what role Jimmy's stubbornness played in this but the AD department and SU leadership has to be more professional. Poor job by SU
Well put. I totally agree. So ADJW was "pissed" cause JB didn't follow the exact script. So he punished JB by rewriting the press release so it looked to the media that Boeheim was "not retained", "let go", or "fired". And that's what was said in the Washington Post, the New York Times, and the New York Post [headline: "Jim Byeheim"] among others. Did the Athletic Dept not know that JB told the players in the lockerroom that he was retiring & AA would be the head coach? Huh? So instead Syracuse University looks bad. In this case ADJW didn't appropriately adjust when his script wasn't followed. His mistake.

We’ve got a lovely suite for you….

Speaking of suites, hearing someone isn’t happy about all of this.
We’ll find out soon if his support was for the man or the school.

This is from a few "friends of the program" and a couple of people in the AD's office (who might be susceptible to spin, so I take what they say with a bit of cynicism).

The retirement plan had been locked in for a few weeks. Not many knew much about it, just that it would happen after the season's end.

The plan included the coach essentially confirming his retirement in whatever post-game presser was the last of the season. Boeheim had gone along with this. There was a press release ready to go last week with quotes from Boeheim and the word "retirement" all over it.

The presser comes, and according to some folks in the AD's office, Boeheim decided to softshoe it. Now I've heard conflicting stories on why that was. One person told me coach was concerned he wouldn't be able to handle his emotions if he announced in that way, that quickly after his last game. Whether he told people of these misgivings or not is up for debate.

The AD's office was furious at the way it went down and had to change the press release completely. It was supposed to come out right after the presser, but instead, they had to re-edit it and release it a few hours late.

A friend of the program says it wasn't intentional to make the university look bad, but who knows for sure.

Go ahead and kill the messenger, but this is what I've heard from a handful of people who should know.
This makes sense.

If you don't think he can add value to the university you are even more of a fool than I originally thought and that is saying something. Enjoy your victory lap
Lol. Ok.

Lol. Ok.
You should run a spreadsheet of all the games boeheim won against lesser competition and then tell us what is true record is. 500 winning percentage over 47 years you think. Can't wait to hear your take

I don't want him anywhere near the basketball team or it's coaches. Calhoun did that. It wouldn't be fair to Red. Now, if Red wants to call jb and ask for advice, sign me up, but not just have jb roam around the Melo center.
Well good for you. What if Red does?

Yeah... what a "jerk." Why couldn't a guy who just minutes before had coached his last game after 50 years be completely in control of his thoughts, words, and feelings??

Guy has 47 years of experience. Implying in a press conference that he wants to return and the University hasn’t told him if he could return….. Just doesn’t fall under the, oops I said the wrong words today because I’m upset. He knew this was coming. He tried making the university look bad for some weird reason and now he looks like a brat to his own fans.

The rest of the country outside of SU fans have thought he was a jerk for awhile now. Couldn’t believe how many people I’m around on a daily basis that thought he was a jerk and could care less he was retiring. Didn’t realize my favorite coach ever had become the guy everyone else hates, not because he’s a winner and beats everyone. But because nobody likes a guy who treats the press like an a-hole all the time.

without a doubt the university handled this very poorly. awful look

I’ve watched a ton of sportscasters in the last 24 hours and read a bunch of articles. Nobody seems to think this. In fact, most are saying the university did the right thing and it’s sad how JB handled himself. So only an awful look for one person.

Guy has 47 years of experience. Implying in a press conference that he wants to return and the University hasn’t told him if he could return….. Just doesn’t fall under the, oops I said the wrong words today because I’m upset. He knew this was coming. He tried making the university look bad for some weird reason and now he looks like a brat to his own fans.

The rest of the country outside of SU fans have thought he was a jerk for awhile now. Couldn’t believe how many people I’m around on a daily basis that thought he was a jerk and could care less he was retiring. Didn’t realize my favorite coach ever had become the guy everyone else hates, not because he’s a winner and beats everyone. But because nobody likes a guy who treats the press like an a-hole all the time.
I am hearing the opposite. Everyone I know outside the NE is saying that it looks like SU F’d him and that he deserved better

Well put. I totally agree. So ADJW was "pissed" cause JB didn't follow the exact script. So he punished JB by rewriting the press release so it looked to the media that Boeheim was "not retained", "let go", or "fired". And that's what was said in the Washington Post, the New York Times, and the New York Post [headline: "Jim Byeheim"] among others. Did the Athletic Dept not know that JB told the players in the lockerroom that he was retiring & AA would be the head coach? Huh? So instead Syracuse University looks bad. In this case ADJW didn't appropriately adjust when his script wasn't followed. His mistake.
“Didn’t follow the exact script”?!?!

You should run a spreadsheet of all the games boeheim won against lesser competition and then tell us what is true record is. 500 winning percentage over 47 years you think. Can't wait to hear your take
Do I think he COULD add value to the University? Sure, of course. He has institutional knowledge that no one can compete with.

But the last 8-9 years have been a disaster, outside a couple weeks. No head coach taking over for a legend should be subjected to feeling the pressure to live up to the old guy’s expectations while he is around every day.

And if you don’t think he would mettle… then I don’t know what to tell you.

I’ve watched a ton of sportscasters in the last 24 hours and read a bunch of articles. Nobody seems to think this. In fact, most are saying the university did the right thing and it’s sad how JB handled himself. So only an awful look for one person.

I think it’s more split than we’d like to think.

There are a lot of sportswriters who think the university didn't treat him right. See The Washington Post, The New York Times, The New York Post, The Athletic, to name a few. Plus Brent Axe on his radio show. Plus Coach K and Dickie V.

Yeah... what a "jerk." Why couldn't a guy who just minutes before had coached his last game after 50 years be completely in control of his thoughts, words, and feelings??

If he knew he wasn't going to be retained as the head coach, what the heck was the last 10 minutes of his press conference. As many people have already said, he could have been classy, but no.

He already knew Autry was going to be the next coach, before the game was over. But he couldn't help himself, and try to ask one more time, in PUBLIC, if he could keep his job.

If you don't see that, then I'm really sorry for you. But he just crapped all over Autry before he could even be announced as the new coach. "It might still be MY job! It's up to the University."

Last edited:
I don’t think he’d be hovering around the program. Besides the new home in Skaneateles he also applied for membership at an exclusive golf course in Florida.
I hope it's not Doral.

If he knew he wasn't going to be retained as the head coach, what the heck was the last 10 minutes of his press conference. As many people have already said, he could have been classy, but no.

He already knew Autry was going to be the next coach, before the game was over. But he couldn't help himself, and try to ask one more time, in PUBLIC, if he could keep his job.

If you don't see that, then I'm really sorry for you. But he just crapped all over Autry before he could even be announced as the new coach. "It might still be MY job! It's up to the University."
Good point, that really wasn't very nice of him.

After a full day of this mess, I came away thinking may be there is some sort of miscommunication. Clearly there was supposed to be a script, and clearly JB did not stick to the script because it was too emotional for him to handle.

Here's what I think. If he was supposed to confirm his retirement at the last game presser, which will be guaranteed to be after a loss, and to announce a retirement after losing your final game is tough. It should have been a separate event a day or two later, after having come home, after talking to all the players.

To do it at the ACCT after losing to WF, and if SU has the press release of his retirement, and AA's appointment ready to go right after the presser, then he must have been told to confirm both his retirement and AA's appointment?

I am thinking may be the reference to the "University's decision" and "you are asking the wrong guy" was not about his coaching job. He knew he is not coming back as HC. He said he gave his retirement speech last Saturday, so that's settled. I think in his mind, even though he is not coming back as HC, he is hopeful he is going to still work for or be involved in some capacity at SU, thus he is retired as a HC, but he may still not be retired from the University, but that's up to the University. May be it was discussed previously and they said let's table this after the transition. He was talking about two things, YES retired as coach, but not sure if retired from SU that's up to SU. He was emotional and didn't message it properly, and it got really muddy.

Last edited:
After a full day of this mess, I came away thinking may be there is some sort of miscommunication. Clearly there was supposed to be a script, and clearly JB did not stick to the script because it was too emotional for him to handle.

Here's what I think. If he was supposed to confirm his retirement at the last game presser, which will be guaranteed to be after a loss, and to announce a retirement after losing your final game is tough. It should have been a separate event a day or two later, after having come home, after talking to all the players.

To do it at the ACCT after losing to WF, and if SU has the press release of his retirement, and AA's appointment ready to go right after the presser, then he must have been told to confirm both his retirement and AA's appointment?

I am thinking may be the reference to the "University's decision" and "you are asking the wrong guy" was not about his coaching job. He knew he is not coming back as HC. He said he gave his retirement speech last Saturday, so that's settle. I think in his mind, even though he is not coming back as HC, he is hopeful he is going to still work for or be involved in some capacity at SU, thus he is retired as a HC, but he may still not be retired from the University, but that's up to the University. May be it was discussed previously and they said let's table this after the transition. He was talking about two things, YES retired as coach, but not sure if retired from SU that's up to SU. He was emotional and didn't message it properly, and it got really muddy.
That's plausible but you'd think more than a day later he would have come out with a statement of support for his long time associate coach.

I mentioned in another post that my concern was the disrespect for Red as his replacement. Support your guy, even if you aren't fully on board. He's had such an amazing career that will never be duplicated. Time to let someone that you mentored take the reins with dignity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom