This board is so predictable and so tiresome | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This board is so predictable and so tiresome

I learned a long time ago not to post when I'm pissed off after a tough loss. Honestly, I don't get that pissed after a loss anymore. Must be the old age.

You win today! Excellent post for the time.

I learned a long time ago not to post when I'm pissed off after a tough loss. Honestly, I don't get that pissed after a loss anymore. Must be the old age.
Its alright man, you just switch up what you get angry at as you get older.
77798609-7B23-48FA-82DF-1B6F0796C9DD.gif

Age, ahem, I mean experience, does have a way of shaping perspective. In the end, college football is just entertainment for most of us. That said, yesterday's game took the wind out of my weekend. A close, hard fought loss would have been disappointing but not as depressing.

Holy hell. Friday Night the US National Soccer team got routed by its arch nemises. The Mets spent its weekend underperforming against one of their divisional rivals (the one i happen to despise most). Cuse well ... The Giants played as anticipated.

But in the end, the weather was beautiful. I love my family. They mostly seem to love me. I'm in good health. Better games lie ahead (they have to right). The ability to compartmentalize, rationalize, put things in perspective, whatever, is a great thing.
The only irrational fan thing i cant get past is that i now refuse to put the stupid Maryland Crab/Flag decal thing I bought in Ocean City a few weeks ago on the Thule.

And I learned seasons never go the way you predict in July and August. Some go better. Some not so much. The Maryland game was one bump in the road on the journey.

And I learned seasons never go the way you predict in July and August. Some go better. Some not so much. The Maryland game was one bump in the road on the journey.
Amen to that!

One thing I notice is that when we think we're pretty good and we get a body-blow loss suddenly we get posts that the players are too small, too slow, not talented enough and that the coaching staff can't recruit. Nobody was saying that before the loss and they don't say that after the next big win. Yet it's the same players.

One thing I notice is that when we think we're pretty good and we get a body-blow loss suddenly we get posts that the players are too small, too slow, not talented enough and that the coaching staff can't recruit. Nobody was saying that before the loss and they don't say that after the next big win. Yet it's the same players.

My favorite is when people throw out possible reasons for a poor performance, and then posters come in hot with “those are just excuses!”

In other areas of life we typically look for reasons or factors so we can mitigate them in the future. In football, it’s “there is no excuse!”

It’s “we” when it’s a win and it’s “they. “ when a loss

John Thomas was a heavy favorite to win the high jump in the 1960 Olympics. He finished third and, at the height of the cold war, a Russian won the event for the first time ever. It probably didn't help that Thomas was a black athlete, for whom white audiences of the time would likely root for only if he was competing against a Russian. He was very unpopular when he got back to the states. His response:

"That was the first time I learned people didn't like me. They only like winners. They don't give credit to a man for trying. I was called a quitter, a man with no heart. it left me sick. American spectators are frustrated athletes. In the champion, they see what they'd like to be. In the loser, they see what they actually are and they treat him with scorn."

My favorite is when people throw out possible reasons for a poor performance, and then posters come in hot with “those are just excuses!”

In other areas of life we typically look for reasons or factors so we can mitigate them in the future. In football, it’s “there is no excuse!”

I agree and see no excuse for such behavior. :mad:

Holy hell. Friday Night the US National Soccer team got routed by its arch nemises. The Mets spent its weekend underperforming against one of their divisional rivals (the one i happen to despise most). Cuse well ... The Giants played as anticipated.

But in the end, the weather was beautiful. I love my family. They mostly seem to love me. I'm in good health. Better games lie ahead (they have to right). The ability to compartmentalize, rationalize, put things in perspective, whatever, is a great thing.
The only irrational fan thing i cant get past is that i now refuse to put the stupid Maryland Crab/Flag decal thing I bought in Ocean City a few weeks ago on the Thule.

It's still summer for a couple of weeks. :)

The same dopes who virtually disappear when things are going well have nothing better to do then dump on players and the staff after a bump in the road.

Bunch of know nothing know it alls.
That's why I avoid reading things from people I don't know or respect.

Tommy Devito has played 2 games, well started 2 games, and he hasn't lived up to expectations in those 2 games by any means, but its still onlt 2 games and I can predict with out looking, that he has joined the likes of SU players in memorriam that are now humped on the heap of poor players like Todd Burgan, Jason Hart, Troy Nunes etc... Very good players that may not have carried our team to all the glory but not deserving the trash heap they've been added to.

I'd add Paul Pasqualoni and George Delione to that mix even if they aren't players, they're still residing over one of the best decade+ if foodball SU has ever seen, even if fans wanted to hang them in the press box.

If Tommy isn't there yet, a couple of poor games will probably pt him there unfortunately. Some fans have sky high expectations, np perspective and know little about football. Sad commentary imo.

The same dopes who virtually disappear when things are going well have nothing better to do then dump on players and the staff after a bump in the road.

Bunch of know nothing know it alls.
We got beat by 43. I think Maryland is good and I'm not that upset but I don't get all indignant over people thinking it's worse a bump in the road

Last edited:
I think back to the ‘01 season. 59-0 to Miami. It doesn’t define the season if u get smoked once or twice.

Dino will right this ship bc he’s a heckuva coach. We aren’t as bad as we look and we weren’t as good as we looked after WVU bowl. Anyone who had us 8 wins ish should realize it’s still an 8 win team. At Maryland was a test. We failed, school isn’t over though

I think back to the ‘01 season. 59-0 to Miami. It doesn’t define the season if u get smoked once or twice.

Dino will right this ship bc he’s a heckuva coach. We aren’t as bad as we look and we weren’t as good as we looked after WVU bowl. Anyone who had us 8 wins ish should realize it’s still an 8 win team. At Maryland was a test. We failed, school isn’t over though

I support your overall point but you are referring to a game against arguably the greatest college football team ever.

that miami team might be the best team ever though. we don't know what maryland is (I think they're pretty good)

that miami team might be the best team ever though. we don't know what maryland is (I think they're pretty good)

We’ll find out more on Sep 27, they host Penn State on a Friday night.

Hard to believe they’re this good this early under Locksley, that will probably be the reality check we weren’t able to give them.

We’ll find out more on Sep 27, they host Penn State on a Friday night.

Hard to believe they’re this good this early under Locksley, that will probably be the reality check we weren’t able to give them.
Locksley had too much success too young. Everyone thinks he sucks because he sucked at new mexico. and he might've been a drunk - horrible fit there, what they're doing now makes a little more sense with some service academy bob davie goofy offense. Years learning from Saban. It'll be interesting to see.

Last edited:
Locksley had too much success too young. Everyone thinks he sucks because he sucked at new mexico. and he might've been a drunk there horrible fit there, what they're doing now makes a little more sense with some service academy bob davie goofy offense. Years learning from Saban. It'll be interesting to see.

True, just seems weird that the success would be so immediate. Especially with so many transfers.

And yeah, taking a guy who recruits DMV well, and seeing if it translates to New Mexico is like watching Matt Patricia and Kliff Kingsbury on opposite sidelines and wondering if they are the same species.

True, just seems weird that the success would be so immediate. Especially with so many transfers.

And yeah, taking a guy who recruits DMV well, and seeing if it translates to New Mexico is like watching Matt Patricia and Kliff Kingsbury on opposite sidelines and wondering if they are the same species.
everyone but chip: yeah, kingsbury probably does well with chicks
chip: my god, look at him, he's like a different species

durkin recruited a lot of good players to the terps. locksley and his coahes called a hell of a game .

Yeah it's pretty much like that on all internet forums I've been on. That's why I dont read a ton and post often. I get what I need off this forum like other sports teams forums I'm intrested in, and keep it moving. Msg board heros make me laugh. But the guys that do take it seriously and post great, thought out content, you guys are my heros!

You said it, I didn't.

Ok, I probably did.
i still want to believe that 44 year old guys with a weight problem and beards that start at their lower eyelids aren't eyesores

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom