This is a great finals... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

This is a great finals...

And despite the controversy, and regardless of the outcome, this beer I'm working on right now is still going down awfully good :)

Agreed. Ever since the Lakers/Kings series years ago I stopped taking the NBA seriously as a legitimate sport. I view it more like the WWE now. I enjoy a beer or two and watch great athletes doing amazing things knowing the outcome is never in doubt.

Well, in the NFL you're also not required to bounce the pigskin on the ground while you're running so there is that. His travel happened before the contact that could have been whistled foul.

And in the NFL, you're allowed to grab the arms of guys who have the ball.

Agreed. Ever since the Lakers/Kings series years ago I stopped taking the NBA seriously as a legitimate sport. I view it more like the WWE now. I enjoy a beer or two and watch great athletes doing amazing things knowing the outcome is never in doubt.

Check and mate, amigo. :cool:

Bottom line, this series has had great officiating. Tonight was even too. There were so many times where they didnt give the Heat the "star calls", all game. They let a lot go, but it went both ways.

The Spurs had chances and blew it, blaming the refs is lame.

And those coming out of the woodwork with the "NBA is fixed, of course Miami won"...they're just uninformed.

Who gets more calls - James or Ginobili?

James gets fouled more because he's better, more athletic, bigger, and often the only way to deal with him is to foul him.

And while James has had some well publicized(and disgusting) flops, Manu has him beat in a landslide there.

I don't think anyone's blaming the refs so much as they're really disappointed they mishandled it and it looks really tainted that way. Just IMHO.

Bottom line, this series has had great officiating. Tonight was even too. There were so many times where they didnt give the Heat the "star calls", all game. They let a lot go, but it went both ways.

And those coming out of the woodwork with the "NBA is fixed, of course Miami won"...they're just uninformed.

Straw man. Nobody is blaming the refs for anything other than swallowing their whistles on a blatant foul. Which they deserve criticism for.

good point. basketball is the only sport you see such blatant home cooking. maybe its cause the crowd is so close to the action and they affect the refs.

Too much street money involved in the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much street money involved in the NBA.

"Somebody called?"

IFWT-Tim-Donaghy.jpg

IMO, the NBA is officiated much better than the college game.

That may or may not be true but in college it is generally ineptitude while in the NBA it is fixtitude.,

IMO, the NBA is officiated much better than the college game.

Each has their own set of problems. In the NBA it's the level of coercion and manipulation by the league's head office that interferes with their games, and in the NCAA it's the cronyism and the dominance of the old boys clubs that do the same to theirs.

"Somebody called?"

IFWT-Tim-Donaghy.jpg

Fixed games. Preferential treatment of players. Rigged lotteries. Crooked refs. Dirty money.

And in the NFL, you're allowed to grab the arms of guys who have the ball.
Unless the play is whistled dead.

Look, we're not going to agree. If Manu doesn't travel there I don't think he even gets a chance to be fouled. So, I live with letting the noncall slide.

Suppose they whistled the travel. Would people be saying the travel shouldn't have mattered because he got clobbered afterwards? Probably not, because the order of events matters.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Fixed games. Preferential treatment of players. Rigged lotteries. Crooked refs. Dirty money.

What's really offensive about the whole Donaghy affair is that the NBA tried to make it appear as though he was the only guy doing it.

Fixed games, point shaving, preferential treatment of programs based on style of play, rigged recruiting, crooked programs...it's all there in college too. But it's worse because they call 345 offensive fouls in every game, which is beyond frustrating to watch.

At least the NBA doesn't reward defenders who hold their balls and fall on their backs...that's a block or a no call the majority of the time, like it should be.

That may or may not be true but in college it is generally ineptitude while in the NBA it is fixtitude.,

I'm not so sure. Certain college programs seem to get the benefit much more than others.

Straw man. Nobody is blaming the refs for anything other than swallowing their whistles on a blatant foul. Which they deserve criticism for.

you havent addressed the travel. manu travelled before he got fouled. if the refs dont swallow their whistle on the travel then the foul never happens.

I'm not so sure. Certain college programs seem to get the benefit much more than others.

You're aware the coaches in each conference have some input into who works their games, aren't you? I mean, that's why Bobby Knight got away with so much of his bullsh!t back in the day. If you T him up, regardless of whether you're right on the call, you won't be working Big Ten games, and that's a lot of money and status.

you havent addressed the travel. manu travelled before he got fouled. if the refs dont swallow their whistle on the travel then the foul never happens.

At the risk of making this a chicken/egg thing, the replay didn't show the whole play. As in, did contact by a defender cause him to travel? And if so, did the defender first establish position? We didn't see that so we can't really tell.

Watching Michael Jordan push off on Byron Russell did it for me. It became very obvious that, overall, Michael's magic in a Chicago win would generate more money for the league than Stockton's ever would with Utah.

I just can't help but wonder what the sports world would look like if the internet was around 30-40 years ago.

My feeling on the non-call on the Manu drive is that no way in the world were the refs going to call a foul at that time in the game and let Manu win a championship at the line. The last time I can remember that happening is in the 1989 NCAA finals when Michigan beat Seton Hall. The refs would not have left the building alive if they made the call. Not saying it's right, just saying that call being made at that time in the game would have been a rare occurrence.

Lebron stepped up.

Guy is going to get his second ring, and all of the haters will sit back and get all defensive and b*tch about it. I love every second of it.

Lebron stepped up.

Guy is going to get his second ring, and all of the haters will sit back and get all defensive and b*tch about it. I love every second of it.

You know what I love? People who count their chickens.

I hope the Spurs kill them in game 7.

Reactions: MCC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom