This is as bad as anything I’ve seen in awhile | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is as bad as anything I’ve seen in awhile

I’ve seen more atrocious possessions than should ever be accepted by a team with these returning players, these ranked players, and this head coach.

Frank’s loss is big. It isn’t the sole reason though.

Brutal.

I'm wondering what on earth we do in practice to prepare for opponents.

The other frustrating part is the player we get back (Frank) relegates the only bright spot from MSG to the bench (Carey).

Jalen struggled big time to start out against UConn, but rebounded to play really well after. He is going to be big time.

Chukwu and Sidibe are useless out there so far. After watching the Centers for Oregon and UConn play, it’s just depressing.

No idea how we make this work. Our 5 best players are 4 guards (Battle / Frank / Hughes / Carey) and a PF in Brissett. Dolezaj is a nice rotational piece at F/C and Chukwu/Sidibe should be depth on a program of our stature, not guys we rely on.

The other frustrating part is the player we get back (Frank) relegates the only bright spot from MSG to the bench (Carey).

Jalen struggled big time to start out against UConn, but rebounded to play really well after. He is going to be big time.

Chukwu and Sidibe are useless out there so far. After watching the Centers for Oregon and UConn play, it’s just depressing.

No idea how we make this work. Our 5 best players are 4 guards (Battle / Frank / Hughes / Carey) and a PF in Brissett. Dolezaj is a nice rotational piece at F/C and Chukwu/Sidibe should be depth on a program of our stature, not guys we rely on.

I’m starting to think I don’t know either. It’s such a mishmash of pieces that don’t fit right now. JB’s got some serious work to do, because again, I’m not sure what he was thinking this team would be (better shooters, intensity, etc) but whatever it is, we’re not seeing in on the court.

What frustrates me is how it’s so obvious we have 1 useless offensive piece every possession and don’t realize teams aren’t stupid. The defender for the useless offensive player is going to double or clog the court for the guy with the ball.
Also we had the perfect stretch big years ago in Tyler Lydon AND WE FREAKING DIDN’T USE HIM as the pick and roll big.
I really don’t get the offensive philosophy of our coaches.
Like they aren’t morons but just refuse to try and make changes to the scheme.
If we want to play ISO ball.
Recruits players like ISO Joe Johnson, Derrick Rose who can score in the 1 on 1 pretty effectively.
Not players like we have had since Tyler Ennis.

I’m starting to think I don’t know either. It’s such a mishmash of pieces that don’t fit right now. JB’s got some serious work to do, because again, I’m not sure what he was thinking this team would be (better shooters, intensity, etc) but whatever it is, we’re not seeing in on the court.
Our personnel, and general direction of basketball, lends itself to small ball but we play zone so not sure how you run 4 guards in a zone defense.

What frustrates me is how it’s so obvious we have 1 useless offensive piece every possession and don’t realize teams aren’t stupid. The defender for the useless offensive is going to double or clog the court for the guy with the ball.
Also we had the perfect stretch big years ago in Tyler Lydon AND WE FREAKING DIDN’T USE HIM as the pick and roll big.
I really don’t get the offensive philosophy of our coaches.
Like they aren’t morons but just refuse to try and make changes to the scheme.
THIS

We play 4 on 5 every offensive possession.

Ever wonder why high PnR with a C doesn’t work?

Ever wonder why the lane is always congested?

Ever wonder why teams always seem to have a help defender?

...but we need a center for the zone and bla bla bla.

THIS

We play 4 on 5 every offensive possession.

Ever wonder why high PnR with a C doesn’t work?

Ever wonder why the lane is always congested?

Ever wonder why teams always seem to have a help defender?

...but we need a center for the zone and bla bla bla.
Then we have the perfect C in Lydon for college basketball and poor Tyler Roberson has to get called out by JB.
When coach sorry the kid never did a bad think publicly and you destroy him.
Even during the Final Four run it was Roberson being Dennis Rodman on the boards but if we had that 5th scoring option we could have won it all.
Instead of the C not being the offensive threat it was the PF.
Recruit some skill PLEASE.
We need offense.

no practice time with real point guards; freshman thrown onto the court with no october prep

i'll reserve judgement until i see how they play in december

that being said: what i saw on the court today was terrible.
I totally agree but December is only two weeks away and I am not sure this is a quick fix.

It was great seeing an actual center today. It's too bad ours run like newborn baby giraffes and have no sense of how to handle a basketball when given the opportunity. Our guys don't pass it down low not because they can't, but because nothing remotely good ever comes of it. Neither Chukwu or Sidibe have any idea of how to trap a player with their body and their arms, and how not to fall for every single shot fake. Love em both, but good god.

Sit Battle more, play Hughes at the 2, and give Washington run because he's not auditioning and actually looks to create with timely, quick passes. OB needs to drive and go up vertically instead of to the side and losing balance. And lastly, quit playing like you're scared of JB sitting you. Just play good old-fashioned basketball like you all know how to do. I like getting the ego busted early so the team can learn to play as a team, just didn't want it to happen like this. We'll bounce back but my weekend has been slightly ruined for sure.
“ Newborn” baby giraffe is well articulated. Looks like Bambi on ice vs Bol.

You think the offense has changed much throughout the years? He doesn’t change to fit personnel and needs 1-on-1 guys to be successful. Look at Carmelo, Wallace, Richardson,etc., they all got hot and could score without help. These guys clearly cannot. Nice players but they need a better system to be successful. One predicated on ball movement, cuts and screens. Instead we have dribble and chuck.

In Jimmy's presser he said he would play Frank & Jalen together and push Ty to the frontcourt. That begs the question of who sits from the frontcourt players ? During the game the announcers suggested Oshae play some 5, which is certainly a nothing to lose idea.

Our personnel, and general direction of basketball, lends itself to small ball but we play zone so not sure how you run 4 guards in a zone defense.
I have long advocated the soft press. Oregon used it to perfection, you don't have to create TOs, you only have to slow em down so you are defending for 20 secs instead of 30 secs., that would help to mesh a smaller lineup with the Zone, since we all know m2m is not even to be discussed any longer.

It was great seeing an actual center today. It's too bad ours run like newborn baby giraffes and have no sense of how to handle a basketball when given the opportunity. Our guys don't pass it down low not because they can't, but because nothing remotely good ever comes of it. Neither Chukwu or Sidibe have any idea of how to trap a player with their body and their arms, and how not to fall for every single shot fake. Love em both, but good god.

Sit Battle more, play Hughes at the 2, and give Washington run because he's not auditioning and actually looks to create with timely, quick passes. OB needs to drive and go up vertically instead of to the side and losing balance. And lastly, quit playing like you're scared of JB sitting you. Just play good old-fashioned basketball like you all know how to do. I like getting the ego busted early so the team can learn to play as a team, just didn't want it to happen like this. We'll bounce back but my weekend has been slightly ruined for sure.
I said all the same things lol. Glad I’m not alone on the Hughes at 2. He is not a sf.

Then we have the perfect C in Lydon for college basketball and poor Tyler Roberson has to get called out by JB.
When coach sorry the kid never did a bad think publicly and you destroy him.
Even during the Final Four run it was Roberson being Dennis Rodman on the boards but if we had that 5th scoring option we could have won it all.
Instead of the C not being the offensive threat it was the PF.
Recruit some skill PLEASE.
We need offense.

Yeah, the center spot for us the past few years has certainly been an obvious deficiency. Maybe, this is a large reason why we can't seem to land any top center as we typically don't run any offense through it, and/or they don't want to play zone D 100% of the time.

Tyus has to take the team back over offensively
Oshae stop shooting from 3. Driving mostly
Jalen isolates and drives basket and green light to shoot
Marek plays the 5
Tyus plays point for now
Press more
Reduce long passes
No. They need to focus on playing TEAM ball. Not one guy trying to play hero. That’s exactly what we don’t need. Tyus at the PG spot is also a bad idea.

Yeah, the center spot for us the past few years has certainly been an obvious deficiency. Maybe, this is a large reason why we can't seem to land any top center as we typically don't run any offense through it, and/or they don't want to play zone D 100% of the time.
I think it has more to do with JB wanting length for the middle of the zone and basically saying he doesn’t care about offense from the spot.
JB just wants to win he doesn’t care if it’s 52-50 or 82-80.
The problem is 52-50 has become normal here and not just a one year blip.

I think it has more to do with JB wanting length for the middle of the zone and basically saying he doesn’t care about offense from the spot.

I hear ya, but even so, how is that attractive in luring a top center with an offensive skill set? And, moreover, the problematic 4 on 5 dilemma on the offensive end.

Well we have had some recent centers with o skills such as arinze, rick, rak, and lydon.

So, while i agree that jimmy really likes length at the five, it is not to say that he won't go with a skilled two way player at that position.

Another issue is that we have had a lot of centers come in with limited O skills who developed over time. That includes some of our all-time best such as rosy, rony, and rak. Now, of course, not everybody can be developed, but the lack of almost any o progress from Chuk has to be disappointing.

Well we have had some recent centers with o skills such as arinze, rick, rak, and lydon.

So, while i agree that jimmy really likes length at the five, it is not to say that he won't go with a skilled two way player at that position.

Another issue is that we have had a lot of centers come in with limited O skills who developed over time. That includes some of our all-time best such as rosy, rony, and rak. Now, of course, not everybody can be developed, but the lack of almost any o progress from Chuk has to be disappointing.

Well, I'll give you senior year Rak was solid relative to O, and Lydon was not recruited to play the 5, he ended up there out of pure necessity...and the lessor of two evils.

We wasted Rak for atleast his Junior year. He was developing that year and just wasn’t getting fed by Ennis and Cooney.
That is the coach not stressing feed the post.
Rak got better each year but he wasn’t featured till we had no other option his Senior year.
Don’t even bring up Rosey or Seikaly they are generations ago.
Players stayed back then.
Our problem is since Rak we haven’t recruited a big who has developed into a threat.
That is just terrible no matter it’s spin.

We wasted Rak for atleast his Junior year. He was developing that year and just wasn’t getting fed by Ennis and Cooney.
That is the coach not stressing feed the post.
Rak got better each year but he wasn’t featured till we had no other option his Senior year.
Don’t even bring up Rosey or Seikaly they are generations ago.
Players stayed back then.
Our problem is since Rak we haven’t recruited a big who has developed into a threat.
That is just terrible no matter it’s spin.

i hear you, but who do you think we should be feeding at the five ?

I think it is very obvious chuk will never be that guy. Sid is clearly not that guy right now, maybe as a junior or a senior - who knows ? Marek isn't strong enough to post anybody up.

It might not be a bad idea to try oshae at the 5, at least sometimes, and see what happens. However, he has not shown any post up skills to do date.

I think Jimmy integrates the fives into the o when they have the skills.

Now, if you want to discuss recruiting for that position, I am all ears.

No. They need to focus on playing TEAM ball. Not one guy trying to play hero. That’s exactly what we don’t need. Tyus at the PG spot is also a bad idea.
Team play flows and is chemistry. It hasn’t developed yet this early. In the meantime, I want a shot at winning. When we can get away with it, Marek at the 5 creates movement and plays. Never realized how important Frank really is. I took him for granted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom