This is serious.. so pay attention.... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

This is serious.. so pay attention....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are these "friends"? And what is defined as friends? I know which people are my friends outside this board and I rarely if ever see a childish or inappropriate post by them. I'm sure they have, but not in numbers that would make me remember them. Except for Jarhead whose had about 100 posts deleted. Jake? TexanMark? Jeremy? CTO? Cuseguy? Cherie? TOL? BillOrange? GOSU? Cuseregular? Lincoln?
I believe he's referring to one you didn't mention .

In addition to some of the folks Bees mentioned, my best friend here outside the board is probably Tomcat. Now there's a real trouble-maker. My only issue with Tomcat is that I wish he'd post more often.

Last edited:
In addition to the folks Bees mentioned, my best friend here outside the board is probably Tomcat. Now there's a real trouble-maker. My only issue with Tomcat is that I wish he'd post more often.

Me to, trust me we tell him that all the time. When you read his football game recaps it feels like your re-living the game and tailgate all over again.

Um what exactly are the rules for water cooler discussion ?

Know your audience.

At the water cooler you are more free to be "inappropriate" - it's a small group.
In this forum, not so much.

I feel the need to point out three more things:

1) This is a freaking internet college sports forum. This is not life and death stuff and it makes me laugh a little when it's treated by anything more than what it is.

2) It's been asked why people feel the need to respond over and over to this thread and debate this issue, despite that by its very definition, a forum is a place to exchange ideas and discuss things. So what's the point of having a forum if we aren't going to use it for its defined purpose?

3) I still take some issue with the way I've seen some posters engage in vitriolic insults with little intervention, but a little sophomoric humor is treated like a felony.

Just a few observations, and believe me, I get point #1 here all too well. I'm spending a lot more time on this than I should be considering the real life issues that actually matter that I've got to deal with.

I come here because I love Syracuse as much as anyone, but my love of Syracuse and my passion for the program certainly wouldn't change if there was no forum or I was no longer a member of this community for whatever reason.

cusetown1 said:
I believe he's referring to one you didn't mention .

And who would that be?

cto said:
In addition to some of the folks Bees mentioned, my best friend here outside the board is probably Tomcat. Now there's a real trouble-maker. My only issue with Tomcat is that I wish he'd post more often.

Damn...I forgot to mention Tom. I talk to him probably more than anyone except Jake. I knew I shouldn't have made that post in fear of missing someone.

I agree with jekelish. I also think those who truly are at issue with the board in its current state should call it out as I have belabored in prior posts. I also think they should take some time to read Richard Carlsons book series on not sweating the small stuff. The distance between this board and syr.com is light years. Even during its ugly points in losses and thread hijacks its not even close and never will be thanks to a great group of posters from top to bottom on this site that includes all of you orange faithful.

Yuck, thread view makes me feel like I'm back at the beginning of the internet! :)

As for the topic at hand - I think it's pretty simple to delineate between what is appropriate banter and what is just annoying drivel. Trust me, I enjoy the off-the-cuff humor of this board and I partake in it myself to a certain extent, but I think a little common sense as far as what is appropriate and what is over the top and/or annoying would go a long way in helping to maintain the quality of this board.

The way to avoid the annoying drivel is to stay away from the branch that has the drivel. You get there via: threaded view.

I agree, it sounds like 2004 to me, but it solves this very problem that we have here.

And the quality of this forum has gone way, way, way down in the last 12 months. I don't really care about the funny stuff either, doesn't bother me. But what does bother me is the general quality of the board and that is definitely lower.

44cuse

And who would that be?
We are mostly adults here, aside from Jim. Let's not pretend it's some big mystery who the board bully is.

I have never personally had any issues with that individual, either, but the condescension and outright disdain gets to be a bit much, shtick or no schtick. That stuff bothers me a hell of a lot more than someone posting a comment about BMK having a potato leg, which is apparently cause for deletion.

Just throwing that out there.

I agree with jekelish. I also think those who truly are at issue with the board in its current state should call it out as I have belabored in prior posts. I also think they should take some time to read Richard Carlsons book series on not sweating the small stuff. The distance between this board and syr.com is light years. Even during its ugly points in losses and thread hijacks its not even close and never will be thanks to a great group of posters from top to bottom on this site that includes all of you orange faithful.

I think the main thing to take away is that mods feel the board is getting away from its main purpose and they want it to get back on track. If people have issues with what they feel are certain posters getting away with over the top antics then they should reach out to Bees and CTO and address the issue. The mods have made it clear what they expect moving forward hopefully everyone can get behind that and we can continue to have a great mix of intelligent serious insight along with the easy going humorous stuff that has always made this board great. If some people feel thats to many constraints I know two other syracuse fan boards that are dieing for posters.

Lets face it 95% of this is my fault. I appolgies to anyone I have offended. I have an off sense of hurmor and always have. The mods have lets me get away with way more then anyone on this board. Yes I am Friends with most of them and that is proubaly the only reason I have not been suspended.

I will clean up my act, with only occasonally being a smart ass and posting pictures that are mostly OK.

I wasn't asking because of me specifically. I don't think anyone has ever had a big problem with me here and if they did I hope they'd tell me so I could handle it. I'm very happy that you have and enjoy all of these relationships over the years on this board. Believe me I like Jekelish as well and he can vouch for that. My point is that the very nature of these relationships between posters causes some of these misdirected and hijacked threads and how can we fairly determine who its OK for and who its not. Or when. I hope you understand my question and concern has nothing to do with you personally just people and relationships in general will make it nearly impossible to administrate things across the board fairly especially when its being done with some "long time posters" in mind from their privately complaining about it.
Two things that will make this a fools errand --- subjectiveness, and perception.

I think the main thing to take away is that mods feel the board is getting away from its main purpose and they want it to get back on track. If people have issues with what they feel are certain posters getting away with over the top antics then they should reach out to Bees and CTO and address the issue. The mods have made it clear what they expect moving forward hopefully everyone can get behind that and we can continue to have a great mix of intelligent serious insight along with the easy going humorous stuff that has always made this board great. If some people feel thats to many constraints I know two other syracuse fan boards that are dieing for posters.

Lets not point people towards those boards as that sounds elitist in some respects even if its not meant that way. I hear you and I hope you realize I have no ill will towards any of the mods and respect them for all they stand for. My commentary was more for other posters than any moderator.

Here's my thing, and I'm not saying you are wrong at all. But what has irked some posters is the very thing you are suggesting, and that's the issue of tattling, more or less. That's the big point of contention and I don't think yet more tattling is going to solve anything, especially since some posters feel there is favoritism and their complaints will be ignored if they feel like the admins don't particularly care for them. So I just don't view that as a viable solution, personally.

My two cents.

The most "intelligent" posts this board has to offer are General20's pre and post game thoughts, sutomcat's thoughts and SWC's upside/downside. It seems pretty obvious that most folks here do enjoy those posts based on "likes" or posts declaring they are grateful for the effort of each poster. I love those threads and wish with all my might that I could breakdown a game like General20 and have tried many times over my years of being around this board but come up painfully short.

However even threads like General20's only generate around 20ish posts in response while it seems many other threads go on for days and no one in those threads is breaking down tape or splitting an atom. I think it's because most folks want to be a part of the community but they aren't particularly good at breaking down what they just watched and if they do, like me, it doesn't generate much discussion. So in order to be a part of the community everyone tries to make each other laugh. Sometimes people go over the top, sometimes the humor is just right.

Love this board, wouldn't change it for nuttin. Keep up the good work mods and posters!

Yet another suggestion:

Why don't the mod's simply delete the contents of an offending thread and insert the language "This post has been deleted b/c of it's offensive or otherwise inappropriate behavior"?

This way,
1. The poster is publicly identified, and
2. The poster and (the public, to the extent they read the initial post) know what the troubling contents were

After a handful of deletions, perhaps a time-out from the board would be warranted. Kinda like the NBA's treatment of technical fouls.

Of course, this would require the moderators to be consistent in their treatment, and this would probably create accusations of selective enforcement.

Just a guess here, but it would take a lot of time, and I'm not willing to ask those who already do put in a lot of time to put in more.

Lets not point people towards those boards as that sounds elitist in some respects even if its not meant that way. I hear you and I hope you realize I have no ill will towards any of the mods and respect them for all they stand for. My commentary was more for other posters than any moderator.

I have no doubt you respect the mods Zoo and I wasnt addressing that to you or any poster in particular. I welcome any syracuse fan to this board because it is by far the best place for syracuse discussion anywhere, period. But its also a board run by a great group of mods who want the boards to run a certain way, pretty much the exact opposite of the crap at syracuse.com. Most people like myself agree with that but some do no not (not saying you) and if thats the case there are alternatives because there not going to change there minds.

Here's my thing, and I'm not saying you are wrong at all. But what has irked some posters is the very thing you are suggesting, and that's the issue of tattling, more or less. That's the big point of contention and I don't think yet more tattling is going to solve anything, especially since some posters feel there is favoritism and their complaints will be ignored if they feel like the admins don't particularly care for them. So I just don't view that as a viable solution, personally.

To be honest it seems like a lot of the issues evolve around one poster who many feel gets a free hand here. Unless I am missing something I believe his name rhymes with Maiser. If thats the case people should address that with CTO and Bees and Tomcat because otherwise they wont know. Personally I have never PM'ed a mod about a board issue but it appears from your post and a few others that its certainly a very big issue. Why not address it with them? Tattling is something done by first graders, I dont consider addressing an issue as tattling.

jekelish said:
We are mostly adults here, aside from Jim. Let's not pretend it's some big mystery who the board bully is. I have never personally had any issues with that individual, either, but the condescension and outright disdain gets to be a bit much, shtick or no schtick. That stuff bothers me a hell of a lot more than someone posting a comment about BMK having a potato leg, which is apparently cause for deletion. Just throwing that out there.

I'll throw this out there. He referred to friends. I listed my friends. Not that I dislike others, but we all have out friends and the statement was we ignored what our friends post.

3) I still take some issue with the way I've seen some posters engage in vitriolic insults with little intervention, but a little sophomoric humor is treated like a felony.
I get called names on the board somewhat regularly, and obviously it hasn't prevented me from participating, but it's weird to me that jokes are a bigger issue than insults.

One is intended to make people laugh. The other is intended to harm.

Who are these "friends"? And what is defined as friends? I know which people are my friends outside this board and I rarely if ever see a childish or inappropriate post by them. I'm sure they have, but not in numbers that would make me remember them. Except for Jarhead whose had about 100 posts deleted. Jake? TexanMark? Jeremy? CTO? Cuseguy? Cherie? TOL? BillOrange? GOSU? Cuseregular? Lincoln?

well... I thought we kind of hit it off at the BC game.. Thought we had something there... You just got yourself taken off the christmas card list, bees. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.