This isn't a hurricane or a disaster | Syracusefan.com

This isn't a hurricane or a disaster

Fjoinkay

Starter
(or for that matter, this isn't ISIS), and today is a beautiful day in NY state. I am very grateful for that.

SU football is right where it is (1-1) with a chance to go to a bowl game and a lot of room for improvement. Going into the game yesterday we all knew that this team is a work in progress. I had hoped for an SU win in a hard fought and close game. The game ended up surprising me in several ways.

I think what DB said about the players' emotions was truly a big factor. Say what you want about FHCSS, but those kids loved him, and they went to battle for him each and every game- all year-around for that matter. Yesterday, many of them saw Shafer on the field before the game and many greeted him as they should, and I'm pretty sure for some of them it presented enough of a disruption to their pre-game ritual, at least emotionally, that they felt a little off during the game. And when that happens during a game it can be hard to shake because you don't really understand what is happening emotionally. And right now where the program stands that can be enough to lose a game at home where you are slightly favored to win.

Credit FHCSS for having his defense ready to go. It's only 2 games for MTSU, but Shafer appears to be doing the same kind of job he did here for SU back in 2009 when he completely turned around the SU defense. And his SU defense in 2010 was one of the best in school history and was ranked in the top 10 nationally. And while his tenure at SU as a head coach wasn't good enough for so many, he took the job when the football program was entering the ACC. During his three years at the helm SU was 14-23, but he beat every non-P-5 school he coached against. I believe all 23 losses came against P-5 schools, if you consider Notre Dame a P-5 school. He just couldn't win enough games in the ACC. His teams also suffered a bizarre number of injuries to key players, especially at the QB position. FHCSS never made excuses. Sure, he made a few mistakes with statements to the media. Also, a lot of people were bothered when he yelled across the field at Dabo. That's understandable, but I also think he and Dabo are on pretty good terms. They might even be friends. But if you watched Shafer be interviewed last night after the game you saw that he is the same classy guy he has always been. He's a warrior, and he is also a good guy. He even called DB to congratulate him after DB received the SU job even though the two did not know each other. Those SU players love Shafer for a reason.

The SU football program needed more talent when Marrone took over from GRob, and it needed more talent when Marrone left and the SU the program entered the ACC. Today the program still needs more talent. The margin for error for SU football teams has been slim-to-none for the past 18 years. It takes time for a staff to fix that problem. It took Mac at least 5 years. Any coach needs time, and DB is no different. I'm glad to see the board so supportive of the current staff. I hope it continues.

Go Cuse!!

Last edited:
Shafer being on the other sideline having a significant impact on performance is disturbing.

Yep. Dino said that was his fault. (At the very least owning a loss is refreshing.)

Shafer being on the other sideline having a significant impact on performance is disturbing.
Also seems unlikely. Shafer was up in the box after the game began. His team made a ton of mistakes in the first quarter.

We need to figure out why the offense did not function well, and not blame emotions for a muffed punt, an interception on a Dungey pass at a key point in the game, the OL etc. Emotions due to Shafer might be #10 on my list of things to fix.

Yep. Dino said that was his fault. (At the very least owning a loss is refreshing.)

I hope that's what it was. Seems like it. We are pretty healthy at the moment, at least at the QB position.

-26 yards in the first quarter when we've been a good 1st quarter team under Dino is... concerning

Time to flush the MTSU game.

Beat CMU and SU has a good chance to go bowling this season.

And I'd love to see ED light it up this Saturday considering the last time we played CMU Dungey took a very late and very violent shot to his head. That unnecessary injury could haunt him (hopefully not), and it really hurt the team that season.

Go Cuse!!

Time to flush the MTSU game.

Beat CMU and SU has a good chance to go bowling this season.

And I'd love to see ED light it up this Saturday considering the last time we played CMU Dungey took a very late and very violent shot to his head. That unnecessary injury could haunt him (hopefully not), and it really hurt the team that season.

Go Cuse!!

don't know about that. Clemson, FSU, Miami, LSU and Louisville all are looming, highly doubt we win any of those. that puts us at 6 losses. That means we have to beat CMU, Wake, BC(all reasonable), Pitt(toss up) and NC State(on the road, not too likely). With all the flaws on our roster, winning all five of those games does not seem too likely to me. I think our chance at a bowl is at 5-7, and at 5-7 you need a lot of things to fall your way to qualify. Otherwise, it would be a lot easier to flush the MTSU game, but I think we had to be 3-0(4-2 at the halfway point) to get to 6 wins.

Reactions: FAL
Also seems unlikely. Shafer was up in the box after the game began. His team made a ton of mistakes in the first quarter.

We need to figure out why the offense did not function well, and not blame emotions for a muffed punt, an interception on a Dungey pass at a key point in the game, the OL etc. Emotions due to Shafer might be #10 on my list of things to fix.

I know ppl don't think coaches give it straight after games - but Babers has a good track record of saying exactly what happened. He said it took them out of their game mentally - I believe him. Then watch the players - voice quivers, full smiles about how good it was to see old coach, Dungey calling him a "defensive genius" - all that stuff is absolutely indicative of mental/emotional crap getting to them.

I know ppl don't think coaches give it straight after games - but Babers has a good track record of saying exactly what happened. He said it took them out of their game mentally - I believe him. Then watch the players - voice quivers, full smiles about how good it was to see old coach, Dungey calling him a "defensive genius" - all that stuff is absolutely indicative of mental/emotional crap getting to them.
Of course it got to them....all college kids are snowflakes now.

A big part of the game is mental, and it doesn't take much for SU at this point with almost no margin for error even when slightly favored at home.

Also, Shafer said himself that having coached so many SU players he knew their tendencies and it helped in his prep for the game. DB said after the game that he has been in that position before and that it helps and that he is 2-0 when going against players he coached previously.

I also think that Shafer's experience as a HC could help to make him a better DC going forward in his career. He's already been a really good DC. His track record shows that. I wish him the best.

yup (and I just watched the presser) Babers takes blame for allowing that to happen. To much emotion may have impacted prep.

Of course it got to them...all college kids are snowflakes now.

right, college athletes playing physical sports, ROTC members who will be future military members, low income kids working multiple jobs while going to school are all snowflakes but a tough talking guy on a message board isn't. ok.

right, college athletes playing physical sports, ROTC members who will be future military members, low income kids working multiple jobs while going to school are all snowflakes but a tough talking guy on a message board isn't. ok.
Relax dude....I was only kidding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom