This isn't on Cooney | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This isn't on Cooney

I am sure this has been mentioned, but Malachi went right towards the ball on the inbounds... Trever could have easily flipped it or handed it to him and screened the man coming across. But as usual he went for the glory when there was still time on the clock for other options.

The fact that the bench did not even stand up when the shot went up screams volumes...

6.5 seconds. richardson could have got just as far as cooney, especially with momentum going forward on the pass
So now the pass is ahead not back. :rolling:

no i just cant believe how bad hes played down the stretch
At least he didn't throw the ball back to the inbounder with 6 seconds left which would have been the dumbest thing ever done in any game by anybody. EVER.

realorange said:
So now the pass is ahead not back. :rolling:

Richardson moving forward, not the pass

No it isn't. The only negative thing I have directed towards him was settling for a three...when the defender fell! That's prime time to drive. You cannot ask for a bigger opening in my opinion. You even answered your question... We had four guys around eachother. There was plenty of room to attack. Absolutely The clock played a role.

The inbound design made no sense. At all. Did we even attempt a screen at all?? How do you not even try?

If he had a better handle, or was a player with a better basketball IQ, I think you are right he would have driven the ball. That's just not him though.

What should have happened was Mal should have trailed him down the court as an outlet and he could have taken the three when Cooney kept dribbling through.

Cooney agrees...should have driven to the hoop down 1. Always wants/wanted to be the hero and nail a winning 3 but never came through in the clutch.

"I should have drove it,'' Cooney said. "We had plenty of time, you know down one, to try to get to the basket and make a play and that's what I should have done.''

Great comeback, gotta get a better shot with 6.6 seconds on the clock. Should've driven to the basket instead of a long 3, it was almost as if Cooney didn't know the score and/or time but he must've. I don't blame players for mistakes, they're doing the best they can and "blame" is being way to harsh. TC has got to realize what CAN be accomplished in 6.6 seconds, it just didn't seem like he did.

I wish Howard was in the game instead of Roberson, Roberson's skills weren't needed at that point in the game - I have no idea why he wasn't. Could've been inbounded to Howard who probably would've gone coast to coast faster than Cooney but regardless of who got the ball you've got to take it to the basket for a layup or a pass to a teammate for a quick shot.

If he had a better handle, or was a player with a better basketball IQ, I think you are right he would have driven the ball. That's just not him though.

What should have happened was Mal should have trailed him down the court as an outlet and he could have taken the three when Cooney kept dribbling through.

I've watched the play a couple times, and still have no idea what the plan was. I think Mal was in an awkward position. He's either running his defender up into Cooney from behind, and he was already kind of close, or heading into the middle, which was already jam packed.

Still not sure what Lydon was doing - but I would imagine he was trying to leave that side of the court open for the drive to the rim, and then trying to time the distance to crash the boards hard.

I think Cooney coming to the stop, and then pulling up was the big shocker for all involved. Everyone else seemed to be intent on keeping their defenders back away from the rim.

I really have no idea though.

either that or even crazier... tried to get open so they would be a good target for a pass.
They know Cooney is a black hole in the final seconds of a close game. And Cooney doesn't have the ball-handling skills to look up and see open teammates while he's dribbling any way.

I've watched the play a couple times, and still have no idea what the plan was. I think Mal was in an awkward position. He's either running his defender up into Cooney from behind, and he was already kind of close, or heading into the middle, which was already jam packed.

Still not sure what Lydon was doing - but I would imagine he was trying to leave that side of the court open for the drive to the rim, and then trying to time the distance to crash the boards hard.

I think Cooney coming to the stop, and then pulling up was the big shocker for all involved. Everyone else seemed to be intent on keeping their defenders back away from the rim.

I really have no idea though.
A smart player would have driven to the basket at this point in the picture below.

Then the man covering Lydon underneath would have needed to cover the ball, leaving Lydon wide open underneath the basket. Bounce pass - score - ballgame - NCAA tourney here we come.

7tpTmpN.jpg

A smart player would have driven to the basket at this point in the picture below.

Then the man covering Lydon underneath would have needed to cover the ball, leaving Lydon wide open underneath the basket. Bounce pass - score - ballgame - NCAA tourney here we come.

7tpTmpN.jpg

And Cooney literally has the best view of the clock during that play. So he knew how much time was left.

CuseFaninVT said:
And Cooney literally has the best view of the clock during that play. So he knew how much time was left.

What view? He was quoted saying he didn't know how much was left.

What view? He was quoted saying he didn't know how much was left.
The clock was right there on the sideline. Why would he not know how much time is left? That's inexcusable.

The clock was right there on the sideline. Why would he not know how much time is left? That's inexcusable.
He's got his eye on the basket not looking left at the corner where the freaking timer was. Great place for it when you haven't had to look anywhere but above the rim all season.

Are you kidding? The shot clock wasn't working on the top of the backboard, where players are accustomed to looking. What was he supposed to do--squander precious time trying to look for the clock on the floor while simultaneously bringing the ball up under pressure from Artis?

He rushed a bit because he wasn't able to visually locate the clock and the last few seconds of the game were ticking away. I don't fault him for that. People would go wild if he'd driven and the buzzer had gone off before he got a shot up in 7 seconds instead of 6.6. IF the shot clock had been visible like usual, then he'd deserve this criticism, but not under yesterday's circumstances.

If you want to blame him for the miss, and not connecting on another game winning shot opportunity, blame away. Blame JB for putting him in the game cold after sitting for 20 minutes. Blame Howard not being in the game over Roberson to give us another guy to push it. Blame his teammates for not getting open on the inbounds and not getting open as Cooney pushed it upcourt. But don't fault Cooney for the clock on the floor problem that ended up being literally worst case scenario for us on that last possession with only a couple of seconds left in the game.

Last edited:
So who gets the blame next year when we lose? No Scoop, Triche, or Cooney around. First time we haven't had one of those players in seven years. Someones going to step up...

So who gets the blame next year when we lose? No Scoop, Triche, or Cooney around. First time we haven't had one of those players in seven years. Someones going to step up...

Simple- we won't lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom