This just cant be true | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

This just cant be true

The big thing I remember about the Virginia Tech and Clemson upsets is that the other team was out of gas at the end of the game and we weren't. That was the product of tempo, which was the product of efficiency. We kept the ball and made it into the game we wanted it to be.
The thing I remember about Clemson was that they made a bad choice to play a hurt QB, who got more hurt, and the 2nd stringer came in to a firestorm. I'm still not convinced we win that game if they start their #2 and he has a chance to get his rhythm before the crowd went nuts.

The thing I remember about Clemson was that they made a bad choice to play a hurt QB, who got more hurt, and the 2nd stringer came in to a firestorm. I'm still not convinced we win that game if they start their #2 and he has a chance to get his rhythm before the crowd went nuts.

Me too. To beat #1 when u are a 20 pt underdog at home u need multiple breaks. We capitalized which was the amazing thing

This post comes up in some iteration every summer and while I can understand the OP's frustration the answers really remain the same and were pointed out by other posters in this thread. That said having responded every other year on this I feel obligated to this year as well.

As others have noted winning is the biggest issue. A winning season isn't going to get SU to average 45K a game but string together a few wins and people will take notice and you will start getting the casual fan who might decide SU vs NC State is a better option then fighting a massive crowd at Beak & Skiff. in early fall. Beating Clemson was a good start but you can't go and get obliterated in the last two home games against peer schools to end the season as a follow up performance.

The marketing program has also been a colossal failure. As another astute poster pointed out earlier is mindboggling how many people have zero clue about the program and really the team in general. Forget the casual fan a good chunk of the local populace doesn't even know who or when SU is playing most weekends. SU has to do a better job here. They usually pull out all the stops to get the Dome packed for one game a year (See Clemson two years ago) but that appears to be via a ticket giveaway which isn't sustainable over a 6 or 7 game schedule. Marketing department needs to get out in front for once and make the push before the season starts or at least very early in the season. Again its not rocket science, TV ads, apperances at different locations over the summer, discounts for first time season ticket holders etc. Don't be afraid to get out in the community during the season as well. If SU is on the road or on a bye week, send a few ticket people and some interns and Otto to beak and skiff or a pumpkin patch or wherever people who don't get loaded on the weekends like I do go to have fun and push single game and reduced price season tickets. Also make calling the ticket office and SU orange pack a customer friendly experience for a change instead of it feeling like your bothering these people your trying to give your money to and who usually have zero or the wrong information your calling about.

Work with the existing fanbase and with the tools the local area offers to increase attendance. SU has the advantage of basically being in the middle of the state, fan out within a 90 min radius or so and hit some events over the summer. They have the State Fair about 15 mins from campus (about 5 if Cuseregular or Bees are driving), that should be a goldmind for ticket sales. You have 10 or so day event that draws a million + people in your backyard and the season kicks off while its going on. SU should have a giant booth smack dab in the busiest area (near Chevy Court or whatever the hell its called these days) with Otto and some cheerleaders and guys like Jason Poles and others who are former players that are employed by SU pushing offers on single game and season ticket packages. Have a TV replaying the Clemson game over and over, have TexanMark demonstrating the latest tailgate equipment and have DCCuse demonstrating that it is possible to drink 3 cases of beer in a 4 hour tailgate. There is no way they wouldn't come out with major sales from doing something like that. Instead they had a booth in the least trafficked building in the place that you needed the rosetta stone to find and I don't think they have had anything the last few years. This should be a huge deal for the marketing and ticketing dept instead we get a kiosk in a hallway at Destiny, the ineptitude is staggering.

Lastly stop crapping on the fanbase that does show up. When you look at how bad things have been (save for a few season under Marrone) since P began his decline its amazing we have as big a fanbase as we do. Instead of trying to cultivate that fanbase SU spends to much time bickering with it and amongst its different departments. When you get a Sat home game at 7pm for the first time since McNabb how about leaving it at that time instead of moving it to Fri night on Labor Day weekend when have the city is either at the fair or heading for vacation. Encourage tailgating and help to cultivate the good but undersized tailgate scene that currently exists around the Dome. Don't harrass the patrons with parking attendants who think their part of the Secret Service or Gestapo. Try and find additional areas for people utilize as tailgate space and charge a reasonable price versus creating a giant parking lot across from the west lots thats now in year 3 of legal limbo with ESF and its pretty much useless on game days. Realize its not 1986 and get someone to over see the concession system who has a clue. The Alcohol options including craft beer and local wines has finally made it to the Dome over the last 5 years but the food options are the same most fans had to choose from 30+ years ago and thats coming from someone who tailgates and doesn't eat at the dome, its pitiful.

When you make a better experience and get active/aggressive in marketing the program and pushing ticket sales attendance number will increase and with winning they will increase dramatically. When you do the same thing every year and your marketing consists of a facebook post and a 45 second TV ad at 2:30 AM on god knows what channel your going to get the same low attendance numbers.

Great post! 100 thumbs-up~!

Dabo is a great head coach, top 5 in all of college football. If he felt that playing that QB was his best chance to win, then why the 2nd guess?
Why diminish a great upset by putting up “what-aboutism” revisionist logic? We beat em fair & square, no qualification needed.

Dabo is a great head coach, top 5 in all of college football. If he felt that playing that QB was his best chance to win, then why the 2nd guess?
Why diminish a great upset by putting up “what-aboutism” revisionist logic? We beat em fair & square, no qualification needed.
Introspection is good. People who post on fan boards aren't rah-rah band wagon fans. They are hard core fanatics who think and spend way to much time on a sports team and have to micro-analyze every minutia of their team. Even if their family and job suffers because of it. It's what we do.

Introspection is good. People who post on fan boards aren't rah-rah band wagon fans. They are hard core fanatics who think and spend way to much time on a sports team and have to micro-analyze every minutia of their team. Even if their family and job suffers because of it. It's what we do.
Fair enough, and i have no quarrel with introspection. But frankly, we haven’t had the luxury of too many upset victories in football lately, especially not of the top 10 variety. Where you see introspection, I see doubt and a diminishing of one of the great victories for our long-suffering fan base to enjoy.
10 years from now, if that Clemson win is the turnaround for this program, will there really be someone qualifying it with a “yeah, but their starting QB was hurt”? We won a big game, it felt like old times, and that made us relevant again on a national scale. Shouldn’t that be enough? JMHO

It's not false. The counter, courtesy of Millhouse, is that we haven't been getting the defensive or special teams scores Shafer was getting. I would add that the lack of a running game makes it hard to sustain and finish drives. The thing is, it's been two years and we still have those deficits. And you would think our vast increase in passing numbers would move the needle more than it has.
you need to take overtimes into effect too. bad defense can give you lots of opportunities to score in overtime. it matters alot more than anyone would realize without looking at it

All I know is that we won. And it was glorious. And debating why we shouldn’t have is the most Internet Board thing ever...just enjoy it. C’mon, people!

I wish the fair weather fans realize that their contributions to an exciting game day environment increases the chances of a cuse win, which we’ve seen in every recent big win at home. I wish it was economically possible to give away tickets for a season just to hook people in.

All I know is that we won. And it was glorious. And debating why we shouldn’t have is the most Internet Board thing ever...just enjoy it. C’mon, people!
Interesting, I feel like looking at wins and losses with no context is pointless. I would be right there with you if we hadn't lost every game after that to finish the season, which is probably the most un-glorious thing ever.

Interesting, I feel like looking at wins and losses with no context is pointless. I would be right there with you if we hadn't lost every game after that to finish the season, which is probably the most un-glorious thing ever.
Context is important, but we had no business beating them regardless. That was a good win no matter how you look at it. I doubt any of the teams that beat us at the end of last year are saying, "But Dungey was out."

Context is important, but we had no business beating them regardless. That was a good win no matter how you look at it. I doubt any of the teams that beat us at the end of last year are saying, "But Dungey was out."
I'm not trying to put an asterisk next to the win. It was the best game I've ever been a part of at the dome and I had front row seats. It was a magical night. We also didn't get their best punch and that's all I was trying to say. I also never said I'm convinced we would have lost. I said, i'm not convinced we still beat them if they didn't try to play the hurt QB. Nothing else.

I'm not trying to put an asterisk next to the win. It was the best game I've ever been a part of at the dome and I had front row seats. It was a magical night. We also didn't get their best punch and that's all I was trying to say. I also never said I'm convinced we would have lost. I said, i'm not convinced we still beat them if they didn't try to play the hurt QB. Nothing else.
But I think that's common in sports. When we had some screwy losses in the '90's we didn't give teams our best punch. Certainly in basketball richmond and vermont didn't get our best punches. Coaching is part of the game. If part of the reason we won was due to a coaching error, that's cool. It's the off season. We have to find something to talk about, right?

Last edited:

Yes, we didn't get their best punch based on their qb situation. That said, we moved the ball effectively against a big time defensive front and overall defense. THAT'S the biggest take away...

Its less than two months before the first game of the year at a P5 school, where the big boys play. We are coming off back to back solid(not great by any means) recruiting years. We play in one of the best conferences in the country. We are coming off a year where we beat the highest rank teams we have beat in a ling time. We ave a senior QB who is the best we have had in 20 years. we have 14 or 15 starters back. We play in a dome with a wide open offense. The downtown area seems to be booming. The school just announced that the will be major upgrades to the dome.

Yet with all this i am able to get on the carrier dome ticket site and search for season tickets and find 2 tickets on an outside row where i dont have to stand to let people out and within five rows of the field near the 35 yard line. I have looked and relooked and it is true. not even a corporate group entertaining guests has purchased these. i sat in row j last year on the other side of the field and bought them late.

Its kind of a sad tale to be honest. This just should not be .

So whats the reason?

Apathy outside the people on this board? yes some
A changing population in the city who loves football but the round football? yes i think so
Lack of faith in the team after years of ineptness? certainly
The attitudes of changing times for football and its danger? maybe
The dome sucks in September with the heat and humidity? for some yes
Football is just not an event like at other schools? i think a biggie

Im going to purchase the tickets for a lot more money than i want to spend but if im going to go to the game i want the best seat i can find. Im not optimstic as others on here, I think its hard to look at this schedule and see 6 wins . I hate sitting in the humid dome . Ive been fooled before such as last year that we are better than our record. I think recruting has improved but so has everybody elses. So why do I go and spend my money? I just like to go sometimes and have fun , and talk a little smack , raise a little cane and hope that i can see more games like last years Clemson game and less games like the MTSU game and i dont think thats asking to much.

Just win baby!

The CNY community demands a high level of success.

If this team makes a huge run the Dome will be filled.

I think that he also ignored the number of possessions, which is 100% cooking the numbers.

I haven’t checked since Dino’s first season, but SS’ offense was more efficient, meaning it was better at scoring points when it got the ball (i.e. 90% of what an offense is supposed to do). THAT is the problem w/ Dino’s scheme.

HOWEVER, Dino has brought in some great talent (at least on paper), and he has been consistent w/ his philosophy. So, I do think that it will improve.

AND the defense made MASSIVE strides last year, and was actually quite good in my eyes. Talent/depth showed in the last 2 games. But I’m not concerned about our direction on that’s front.

Net-net, I think that fans are cooking the books to distort reality, but I also think that we have the coach to take us to where we need to go.
i don't think anyone should ignore possessions. shafer's offense wasn't efficient, a lot of that comes down to FG kicking and field position. and defensive scores and overtime scores can make a crappy offense look more efficient

if you want to know how good you are, go by yards per play. compare offense and defense and the difference between the two to the rest of the country. one of these years, we'll be better on offense than defense, we'll amplify that advantage by running more plays and all will be well. in the meantime, he has to run his offense to prepare them for that point even if the defense stinks at the moment

The old still remember the great SU teams...but the dome..the hill and the stairs make going to a game like a trip up Everest without a Sherpa.

one more thought about yards vs yards per play. people think the offense is a lot better than it is because babers smartly goes for it way more than most teams. people chalk up the difference in yards ranking and yards per play ranking to pace but a lot of it is because he bought extra possessions essentially with such simple low hanging fruit (stop kicking so much)

23rd in yards, 95th in yards per play

Just wait until they're actually good per play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom