This one is on the coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This one is on the coach

No it's not. What pt guard could Joe or Buddy guard? No one. And our bigs would be eaten alive even more easily in man.
You’re talking about specific matchups that you’ve never seen. You’re ignoring the potential improvements in rebounding and denying spot up looks from 3. Again without giving it a fair chance it’s ridiculous to say it won’t be any better. They’re giving up 85-90 points to mediocre teams. There is nothing to lose trying to experiment with defensive strategy. It might be the difference in NIT vs losing season. We know what the zone gives us. Blind faith in this years zone is incomprehensible.

You’re talking about specific matchups that you’ve never seen. You’re ignoring the potential improvements in rebounding and denying spot up looks from 3. Again without giving it a fair chance it’s ridiculous to say it won’t be any better. They’re giving up 85-90 points to mediocre teams. There is nothing to lose trying to experiment with defensive strategy. It might be the difference in NIT vs losing season. We know what the zone gives us. Blind faith in this years zone is incomprehensible.
rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. I don't know of any good D-2 teams this team would do well against in man to man. Don't misunderstand me, I love man to man. I love pressing. I just can't see this team doing it.

If anything - I thought the pivotal play was Hughes missing that late layup. Tough and off balance yes but one I have grown accustomed to him making with relative ease.

That was bad but there was blame enough to go around in the waning minute or so. Girard leaving his side of the zone to try to steal the ball and failing leaving #3 all alone to stick that 3 was bad and compounded it by following with a quick missed 3. Our inability to stop Mooney from corralling a rebound and sticking it back up multiple times were added killers.

Watching him not being able to stay in front of guys in a zone. You think he can guard D-1 pt guards?

i dont see guards getting by him in the zone. I see people being left open. Im not seeing many allen iversons out there these days.

Coaching didn't lose that game. Girard's gamble did.

Girard kept us in the ballgame and was unstoppable at the end of the game. Our entire back line in the zone is bad and can’t rebound

That was bad but there was blame enough to go around in the waning minute or so. Girard leaving his side of the zone to try to steal the ball and failing leaving #3 all alone to stick that 3 was bad and compounded it by following with a quick missed 3. Our inability to stop Mooney from corralling a rebound and sticking it back up multiple times were added killers.
Yup! Those were the keys.

I get wanting to indiscriminately bash Boeheim, but not going to M2M is probably not the way to do it in 2020.

What do you want? If you expect man defense, go find another team. It’s not happening. Both teams shoot very well from 3, stop blaming the zone for it.
No kidding I know he won’t play zone and that’s his problem he’s too stubborn and he will not adapt to things that change over time in the game. I mean how many wide-open shots do you have to see before you decide to try something different

Rebounding in the 2nd half killed us. We got stops, but couldn’t get the ball off the first miss.

I get wanting to indiscriminately bash Boeheim, but not going to M2M is probably not the way to do it in 2020.
I’m not necessarily even talking about this specific team Even though they suck in the zone and they’re pretty much not built to play the zone, I’m just sick I just want to see something different,I’m tired of it. Every single year is the same issues, Offensive rebounds defensive rebounds,the same things that hold us back. Besides the fact that a lot of teams pretty much know how to slay the zone at this point. I personally sometimes really have this feeling that Boeheim is just overrated or maybe just getting old I don’t know but no Hopkins left I think he was the main guy that was recruiting mostly studs and you can obviously see what he’s doing at Washington. We got some pretty young good studs on his team offensivelyBut on the other side like I said you know where I stand. And I know for damn sure I’m not the only one so everybody can put whatever spin on it they want the end result has been apparent for a few years now

I shudder to think what Joe and Buddy would look like playing man.
Seriously man do you think we’re the only one, the only team with a backcourt like we have. but you know what, certain coaches make it work playing man-to-man for example Virginia,Texas Tech, South Carolina, shall I go on. their team defenses are stout every single year regardless of who they bring in. I’m so sick of that cop out

No it's not. What pt guard could Joe or Buddy guard? No one. And our bigs would be eaten alive even more easily in man.
Exactly, He doesn’t know! he has no idea he just assumes we would be bad m2m because Boeheim says so. Boeheim can’t coach M2m Or he’s either too lazy or what I think this zone thing has become like his niche so to speak what he’s known for and he will not let it go freaking egomaniac

I’m assuming braswell is redshirting?

He's allowed to play in 9.3 games (30% of 31) ... but it gets rounded up to 10 games.

He's only played 7 games so far this season.

However, he has to be shut down during the first half of the season. Va Tech is Game #15.

He can play against Va Tech, after that he's past the point of no return.

I don't usually say this but this is an incredible stupid post. We lost by 1. 1. Lot's of things cost us this game. JB is way down the list on this one unless you are counting not getting a center that we can throw the ball down low to.
We haven’t had a center to throw the ball down to our year so what are you talking about. This is the team we got n try to work with what we got the best way we can. Jim Boeheim is a robot. Obviously predictable.
Notre Dame is the team that we should have beat! Especially in our place

Seriously man do you think we’re the only one, the only team with a backcourt like we have. but you know what, certain coaches make it work playing man-to-man for example Virginia,Texas Tech, South Carolina, shall I go on. their team defenses are stout every single year regardless of who they bring in. I’m so sick of that cop out

On a broader scale, I clearly hear what you're implying. This year it does appears that we aren't nearly as athletic as in most, so one can easily argue from that perspective that zone perhaps is better, although we also lack the length too that typically goes with our athleticism for a solid zone. However, it's frankly bizarre that JB has been able to spew that we can't play zone for so long and get a large percentage of the fan base to buy in to it, especially when we typically over the years have been able to out athlete many of our opponents, but still can only manage to play zone.

lol. people want this team to play m2m.

I'm not implying that for this team, though it does certainly make for a solid argument as to why an "elite" P5 program that many here believe we are, have been unable to play m2m for years now according to its coach, even when our roster has been full of highly athletic types.

Then he should recruit some!
I agree. Unfortunately with the exception of Red our assistant coaches are not strong recruiters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom